http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:04:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help me decide whether to get a PS2 or not  (Read 1711 times)
mikeg
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 17, 2004, 01:07:27 PM »

I have an Xbox and enjoy it.  Lately there have been a few games on the PS2 that really interest me, and with the advent of the new tiny PS2 I have been seriously contemplating it.  But I am leary.  I ventured down the Game Cube line and eventually got rid of it because there were not enough exclusives to keep me interested.  

I don't like rpg's and as far as racers and sports, xbox has those.  Right now I can see three I would like to play on the PS2: Ace Combat 4, MGS3, and Killzone.  What else like those is coming that would make the purchase worthwhile.  I would hate to get it, play those and then it sits for 6 months til another exclusive comes out that would be killer.  

I will say this, as for travelling and taking a console with me, it would be really nice.  

Or just wait a year and get the PS3 next Christmas.  Anyone else face this dilemma lately and come to a conclusion.  I know being this way is silly, but there you go, I am silly.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 01:24:58 PM »

My PS2 is used exclusively for RPG's.  I get my action, sports, and racing fix on the X-Box.

If you don't like Japanese RPG's, I can't really see a reason to get a PS2 over an X-Box.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 01:48:03 PM »

Some games that have been making me consider the same thing are the Ratchet and Clank series, Sly Cooper, Jak 3 and GTA: San Andreas.  T

There are also games like Ico (and it's upcoming follow-up) and the swell looking God of War, if those tickle your fancy.  Other games not coming to the Box are Katamari Damacy, Viewtiful Joe 2 and Alien Homonid.  

I don't know if that is enough to make you want to go out and pick one up, but it has certainly put me at the edge.  

Oh, and I don't think the PS3 will be out next holiday season, it is looking like the earliest will be mid-2006 and more likely that fall.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2004, 01:53:59 PM »

I was in the same boat. I have an xbox, love it, but was intrigued by both the PS2 lineup, and the new PS2's size. I went ahead and got one, and don't regret it in the least. My PS2 gets equal playtime with the xbox now.

Without meaning to offend Gratch, I will say that the claim that Japanese RPG's are the only reason to get a PS2... is incorrect. Go into your local EB, and you'll see the PS2 game selection is 2 to 3 times the size of the xbox collection.

If you like platformers, the PS2 has many more than the xbox, and much better ones, too. The Sly Cooper, Jak & Daxter, and most of all Ratchet & Clank series are all fantastic, and can't be found anywhere else.

If you like racing, the Gran Turismo series (esp the upcoming GT4) is another  A+ PS2 exclusive.

My other favorite PS2 exclusives (that I own) are Culdcept (strategy) and Champions of Norrath (action/RPG).

The convenience of the new PS2's size cannot be understated. It's amazingly small for a console unit.

Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2004, 02:31:47 PM »

Jeff is correct in that I broke down and bought a PS2 for the sheer number of great action/platforming games, rather than to play RPGs.

All I can say is, Ratchet & Clank. smile
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2004, 02:57:31 PM »

My bad, I actually forgot about the platformers.  I don't play them, so I wasn't aware that they were PS2 exclusive.  For some reason, I thought the R&C series was on X-Box also.  Color me stupid.

So, if you like RPG's or platformers then PS2 is the way to go.  Oh, and there's a bunch of quirky Japanese titles for PS2 like Katamari Damacy and Culdcept.  Ah, forget it...just get a PS2 and an X-Box.  smile

Hell, just forget I said anything.  :waves hand:  This is not the post you're looking for.  You can go about your business.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 02:59:37 PM »

Quote from: "Gratch"
If you don't like Japanese RPG's, I can't really see a reason to get a PS2 over an X-Box.

Allow me to pile on.  Two words: Ratchet and Clank.

Okay not quite two words.  Anyway here's three more words: Sly Cooper.
Valhuerdi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 03:34:44 PM »

Plus, the Phantasy Star Trilogy is coming out sometime in early 2005 for the PS2.

Tick tock, tick tock, tick tock.
unbongwah
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »

Quote from: "Valhuerdi"
Plus, the Phantasy Star Trilogy is coming out sometime in early 2005 for the PS2.

Bzzzt!  He said no RPGs.  Thanks for playing, though.  slywink

Anyway, PS2 does have lots of exclusive platformers - including the Jak, Ratchet & Clank, and Sly Cooper series - so if you like them, they are one incentive.  There are also any number of quirkier titles, like Ico and Katamari Damacy, which you just don't find on Xbox.  MGS3 and GTA SA will be PS2-exclusive for a while, though I'd be surprised if there weren't Xbox versions of both in 6 to 12 months (think that's how long Sony's exclusive lock on them is).

FPS...well, not much to recommend, frankly.  Killzone is one of the few PS2-exclusive FPS titles and by all accounts its mediocre, at best.  The better survival horror titles - like Fatal Frame & Silent Hill - are on both Xbox and PS2, so that's not an incentive.  Racing...well, there's Gran Turismo 4, which either you want or you don't.  Otherwise, I can't think of any PS2 racers off-hand.  Fighting games: I think Tekken and Virtua Fighter are still PS2-exclusive.  Hmmm...running out of ideas.

Honestly, if you're not into RPGs, you wipe out a big chunk of PS2's competitive advantage, IMHO.  There are plenty of good PS2-only games, but I can't infer enough about your tastes to know if there are enough games that you might like to make a PS2 worth it.  If you hate jumping games, no amount of great platformers is going to convince you to buy a PS2.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 02:13:48 PM »

Well, I have thought it over and as tempting as this new little PS2 is, the bottom line I can't find more than 4 games I really really want to play.  I would like to play Metal Gear Snake, Killzone, Grand Tourismo 4, and Ace Combat 4.  All the other rpg's and platformers don't interest me in the slightest.

I regrettably will have to pass.  Thanks for the info guys.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 05:41:53 PM »

Im in the same boat. Im tempted, but there just istn anything that makes me go wow. All I hear is about the platformers, but im not huge on platformers. Not at all actually. So that is not an insentive for me. GTA:SA is pushing me a little bit, but maybe not enough.

In the realm of RPGs, what is there avaliable more in the style of Morrowind? Or Kotor? Im not into Final Fantasy style games.

Racing and shooting are more then covered for me on the box, as are sports.

Also, what older games are impressive? Part of the temptation is buying games for cheap. Real cheap because they are old. But nothing other then GTA stands out for me just galncing over the list. So why am I still tempted?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 07:12:45 PM »

You are tempted just like I am because it is a cute piece of hardware and there are a couple of games you would LOVE to play.  But I just can't see buying a system for those few.  Wish it were otherwise.  My main draw is Killzone and MGS games, and I truly suspect in a year you will see them on the Xbox anyway.  So, though it hurts me, I am passing.  Good luck on your decision.  It can sure turn the stomach inside out trying to decide.  At least it does for me cuz money is not a river where I live.  It's either a PS2 or 3-5 good Xbox games.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 07:23:31 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
You are tempted just like I am because it is a cute piece of hardware and there are a couple of games you would LOVE to play.  But I just can't see buying a system for those few.  Wish it were otherwise.  My main draw is Killzone and MGS games, and I truly suspect in a year you will see them on the Xbox anyway.  So, though it hurts me, I am passing.  Good luck on your decision.  It can sure turn the stomach inside out trying to decide.  At least it does for me cuz money is not a river where I live.  It's either a PS2 or 3-5 good Xbox games.

MrG-I can think of many, MANY better games than those you have mentioned on PS2-and frankly, if those are you main draw-dont buy the PS2. I remember you not being a fan of complex, wordy RPGs-and MGS games are the most wordy, convoluted action games known to man. Killzone is a truly mediocre FPS, especially when compared with the genius of Halo 2, Half Life 2, and others-including Riddick, 007: EON, and many others. IF those are your draws, stay far away! If you want a list of games for the PS2 that might make it worth it, try this:

Final Fantasy X
Gran Turismo 3
Devil May Cry
Onimusha series
ICO
Rachet and clank 1-2-3
Jak 1-2-3
Sly Cooper 1 and 2
many other RPGS, and so much more!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: