http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 07:20:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hellgate 2.0 Patch  (Read 1903 times)
SkyLander
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 12, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »

Not really sure how many people still play Hellgate. But The Abyss chronicles or the 2.0 patch goes into testing next week.

Discover that which awaits you in the Abyss, brave Hellgaters! The Abyss Chronicles (Patch 2) is rapidly taking shape and form and we’re ready to share some of its most exciting offerings with you. As Hellgate: London’s second major content update, the Abyss Chronicles boasts an impressive and lengthy list of new features including a major class rebalance, new environments, new enemies, new skills, new bosses, and new inventory slots . Then there’s the Consignment House, Attribute Respec Vendor, item linking, achievement rewards, and lots more. Suffice to say, the Abyss Chronicle is big. Very big.

Plans are already underway for the patches beyond the Abyss Chronicles. A small content summary for Patch 2.1 has been included as well. This update will open up an entirely new side to Hellgate: London in the form of ranked player versus player (PvP) gameplay. Originally slated for release with the Abyss Chronicles, the decision to release new PvP content as part of a supplemental patch was brought about by a desire to introduce five cohesive elements of PvP in a single update: ranking, matchmaking, rewards, achievements, and Capture The Flag. Together, these features will provide a robust PvP experience within the Hellgate: London universe.

The Abyss Chronicles (Patch 2) Content Summary

• New Abyss Quest Line with Five New Boss Fights:

o Travel to the all new Parliament Square and help Titus of the Cabal fend off the rapid spread of the Abyss, a new Demonic underground that grows in size as Demonkind consumes more of our world. The only way to halt the Abyss is to seek out and destroy those who control it. Lure the five Abyss Lords from their cursed realm by collapsing their Hellrifts (a new Rift for each of the boss types), then confront the masters as they emerge to investigate the problem. Five repeatable boss runs with five new bosses! Features three new environments and some reworked environments.

• New Shared Stash System:

o The Shared Stash will now feature separate panes for each gameplay mode: Normal, Elite, Hardcore, and Hardcore Elite. Items currently in your Shared Stash will be placed in the correct pane.

• Major Rebalance of the Blademaster Class:

o The Blademaster class has been significantly rebalanced with changes to almost every skill. Overall, they should do more damage and have many more options than before. Some of the highlights include Strength now stacking on top of the skill percent bonuses – a huge boost – and Blademasters can now gain a Surge with any melee attack or with any melee skill (rather than just when killing something with a Surge skill).

• Improved, Configurable Guild Controls:

o Guilds will now have four titles they can assign to members. The titles can be renamed. There can only be one Guild Leader. Non-subscribers can only have the lowest title. The Guild Leader can configure what the middle two titles are allowed to do including invite new members, promote and demote existing members, kick members, and send all-guild e-mail. The lowest title is not allowed to invite, promote, demote, kick, or send guild e-mails.

• Consignment House:

o Players can place items into the Consignment House to offer them for sale at a set price. All players in the same gameplay mode can see and purchase that item. The Consignment House currently only offers a “buy out” price, there is no bidding.

• Three New Skills for all Classes:

o Skill Scrolls are new items which unlock the new skills and allow skill points to be put into them. For example, the Spider Mine Schematic unlocks the Spider Mine skill for Engineers. The Skill Scrolls will be tradable and can be used by all players; however, they drop off of boss monsters in the subscriber-only Abyss levels. Only a few of the skills will be enabled in the first Patch 2 build that goes to Test Center. Here are a couple sample skills to whet your appetite:

1. The Summoner will get a melee demon transformation with zombie minions.

2. The Blademaster will get skills that use up Surges to do things like perform a group heal.

3. The Engineer will get Spider Mines.

• Trinket Inventory Slots:

o There will be two new Trinket inventory slots. The first trinkets will drop as cursed rings which can be cleaned up through the Transmogrifier. These cursed rings will mostly drop in the Abyss levels, but they can be found elsewhere too. These items are tradable and can be used by all players.

• Attribute Respec Vendor:

o Bob, the Attribute Respec Vendor, will allow you to spend palladium to remove points one at a time from an Attribute and add them to your unassigned Attribute Points pool. The cost to remove each point goes up with character level.

• Stack Splitting:

o You will be able to right-click on a stack of items and select to split it into smaller stacks using a new radial menu option. A dialog will pop up and let you type in how many items to place in the new stack.

• Gameplay Changes:

o Character defenses against Secondary Damage Effects have been increased.

o Shield Overload has been removed from sword weapons.

o Strength has a much more significant impact on melee skill damage.

• Item Linking:

o Players will be able to enter a clickable “link” to an item’s details into the chat pane by right-clicking on the item and selecting the Link Item option on the radial menu.

• Achievement Rewards
• New Armor and Weapons for all Factions
• New Monster Types
• New Chat Color Scheme
• Many bug fixes and performance tweaks.
• A few more features yet to be announced.

Patch 2.1 Content Summary

• PvP Ranking
• PvP Matchmaking for Teams and Individuals
• PvP Points and Rewards
• PvP Achievements
• Capture the Flag PvP Game
• Improved predictability and balance for the attribute feed system.

We are hoping to get a Patch 2.0 build into Test Center next week, but we will see what happens.

See what they do to my new elite blademaster.

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 10:35:44 PM »

I would only return if:
A) Bill Roper let me smash him over the head with a whiffle bat (I'm gentle!) 40 times for releasing the game in the condition it was released in, even if it was probably the publisher's fault.
B) I could turn in my version .7 (or was it .8?) launch DVD for smelting, and receive a crisp 2.0 version that's function out of the box.
C) If every time I encountered an exasperating bug, a Flagship employee was ejected out of his chair...

Actually I think if they went back into the game and tried to "optimize" it like a film editor might (strip out all the "creative" levels and mini turret games that added nothing to the game; reduce some of the "level texture" repetition that made it seem like you were playing the same levels over and over and over, in spite of the randomizing) they could still end up with a shorter, sweeter game that was worth attempting to re-release either at retail or at least at Steam, Direct2Drive etc. I don't see that happening, and I'm actually amazed Flagship hasn't already burned through all its funding and called it a day.

I'm speaking as someone who persisted in the game, was a fan for a while and then gave up in disgust when one of the patches basically broke my game and made it unpatchable. I want to say it was 1.3 I couldn't even delete the incomplete patch file from my desktop (it wasn't set to read-only). It's still on my old PC, laughing at me...  disgust

If they re-release 2.0 at retail, I might seriously consider it. I'm just not willing to "infect" my new PC with a launch version of HG.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 10:37:15 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 10:58:54 PM »

So, does the 2.0 version release mean that it's finally ready for public consumption?  icon_twisted

And before you ask, yes, I was one of the fools who bought this buggy, incomplete piece of shit at launch.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 12:26:57 AM »

I finally uninstalled this last night after having it sit on my HD since launch.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:48:20 AM »

I'm didn't have any problems with bugs at all, and even persisted through and finished the game on normal in multiplayer (but soloed all the way) and have started in i think nightmare. Yes it was very repetitive, but I have definitely have gotten my money out of it and will probably continue to play it.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 08:35:30 AM »

Are all these updates only for MP as usual??

A new one
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 09:25:59 AM »

The game everyone loves to hate.

Not that the launch state didn't call for that, but in my genuine opinion it's the best game of its type and is getting better at a pretty consistent pace.

As long as you understand what it is - which is hack and slash to the bone - you shouldn't be disappointed if you keep an open mind. I haven't experienced technical problems for quite a while, and though it remains slightly quirky and limited in scope - it innovates much more than people would have you believe. It really does take the genre forward in a significant way.

The subscriber thing was blown WAY out of proportion, and I think that is the most unfair aspect of the reception. Damn it for being atrocious at launch in technical terms - but cut it a break for trying to please fans of Diablo 2 who requested this very way of providing additional content - both for free and extras for subscribers. They're doing just that and the content isn't just fluff.

If you haven't written it off completely, I advise you to check it out.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 02:57:58 PM »

Rather than write it off completely I just turned away from it for a while.  I might give it a go again during some not-so-busy portion of my life in the near future, but prior to Diablo III. (after which it would have no chance I'm sure)

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Butterknife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 03:04:46 PM »

When they get around to releasing the single-player version of the patch in 3 months or so, let me know and I'll consider giving it another go.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »

Pretty much what DArtagnan said, I can totally understand the hate but if you give it a chance there is a fun game in there, and going through it all with my girlfriend just adds more to it. Going into elite mode has added greatly to the challenge and made the game a different beast since normal mode seemed rather easy until you got to the end. Still fun, little frustrating at times since I chose to do elite with a blademaster and she wanted to do a summoner, diffiicult without one of us being a tank, but hopefully the blademaster revamp will make things a little easier.

And to the guys for singleplayer, think it would just be easier to just go into multiplayer and go it solo. The game is not hard to do solo.

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »

Quote from: SkyLander on May 13, 2008, 04:04:11 PM

And to the guys for singleplayer, think it would just be easier to just go into multiplayer and go it solo. The game is not hard to do solo.

and pay for that? no thanks, bought the game once already...

A new one
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 04:24:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 13, 2008, 04:12:58 PM

The standard multiplayer component is completely free, and ultimately plays like Guild Wars. The only place you'll see other players is in the main hubs (or towns).

If you want to get the 'stuff' that they've released since launch, you'll have to pay for it. But multiplayer is free.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 13, 2008, 04:24:47 PM

The standard multiplayer component is completely free, and ultimately plays like Guild Wars. The only place you'll see other players is in the main hubs (or towns).

If you want to get the 'stuff' that they've released since launch, you'll have to pay for it. But multiplayer is free.

Just to clarify, a lot of the "stuff" they've released is free - only certain content is reserved for subscribers.
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 04:51:21 PM »

I had some fun with it and I'll probably return. Seriously, I didn't have much technical problems but I grew bored with the game relatively fast; I'll return 'cause when I had fun, I had LOTS of fun. Does it "advance the genre in significant ways"? I don't know. It doesn't feel particularly innovative frankly, but hey, if you're into the genre you're probably more adept as spotting the nuances. Anyway, as I wasn't following the game's development I wasn't disappointed that I didn't get the game of my imagination.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on May 13, 2008, 04:24:47 PM

really?? Thanks! didnt know that...hmm, perhaps they need to advertise that fact better? never touched MP because I thought I had to pay 9.99 for it

I like the game, actually, and will give this a spin!!

A new one
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 06:27:45 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 13, 2008, 04:53:45 PM

really?? Thanks! didnt know that...hmm, perhaps they need to advertise that fact better? never touched MP because I thought I had to pay 9.99 for it

I like the game, actually, and will give this a spin!!

I think HGL is one of, if not THE, strangest releases in all of PC game history in terms of the amount of confusion there was at release, and the amount of hate the game received.  I guess they just did a crappy job of their release/advertisement scheme, but it was always their intention to try to give everyone what they wanted out of the box:

- a fully 3D action RPG, playable in 3rd or first person, loot and level, experience
- a complete single player, offline game
- a free to play multiplayer experience (soloable or in groups) with servers like Battle.net, but better (including guilds)
- multiple modes/difficulties to play in

On top of this, they attempted to deliver (100% optional) additional content on some sort of regular basis for a (100% optional) monthly fee.  This was intended only for the insatiable fans who couldn't get enough of the game from the original release.  Keep in mind that from an action RPG genre perspective, no one (not even Diablo 2) delivered everything they attempted to.  Yet somehow this was all contorted, and expectations were altered all over the place, and the hate bandwagon began. 

Frankly, aside from some minor issues/bugs at release (most of which were addressed in the first few weeks), I had a blast in the game and still consider it one of my all time favorites.  Yes there were some class balance and skill balance issues, but I had complete faith they would be addressed over time.  The 2.0 changes sound great, and if it weren't for AoC's release, I'd probably jump back in full time.  I applaud the developers for attempting something new, persisting with their vision and continuing to improve the game over time, openly apologizing and addressing every concern and demand the fans lob at them; all this in spite of continuously being bad-mouthed by the internet community.  IMHO, their biggest sin was trying to do too much for their fans.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 07:22:18 PM »

Being able to switch from 3rd to 1st person on the fly is a lot of fun, especially with the marksman. They actually combined a lot of elements very well, going from a blademaster to a marksman are two totally different play styles and experiences. Adding in the evoker and summoner and there is a good game in there. Yeah the textures and maps and monsters are all samey but you can say that about a lot of games.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 11:10:36 PM »

Since around patch 1.7, the game has finally stabilized and become nicely playable for me, and I've rather enjoyed it. I'm still not subbing up.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:25 AM »

Meh ... Diablo III, please.

And this is for the $49 I wasted on the launch version:  finger
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »

Hellgate is the poster child for the phrase "A bad game will always be bad" or a least seen as bad by many people. There's just to many games out there for people to choose so if a title stumbles out of the gates like it did, most gamers just move on and will only remember the game for the negatives.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: