http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 11:26:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hellgate 0.6 Patch (God I wish I was kidding with that version #)  (Read 950 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: December 05, 2007, 01:18:25 AM »

Patch notes to follow. Maybe the game will hit release candidate one day...

Patch 0.6 Notes

December 04, 2007

Hello everyone!

We hope our U.S. players had a great Thanksgiving holiday and that everyone had a fantastic weekend of playing Hellgate: London. We kept working through our cornucopia of turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, and American football games to get some more fixes done.

Patch 0.6 has one very notable fix – the invisible group member bug has been slain. This was a crafty, fierce thing with rows of nasty sharp teeth, but we believe it has now fallen into the mists of legend. We’ll stay vigilant in case it raises its ugly invisible head again.

We’ve also made great strides on the Engineer Drone issue where items become unequipped. There are some cases where Drones (as well as players), will still have items unequip. The main cause of this is when players "ladder up" the equipment on their Character or Drone by using items with statistic bonuses. This results in the Character or Drone being able to use a better overall set of gear than they normally could, and thus causes issues if the items are not equipped in a specific order (or used at all). We’re continuing to work on this one, but it is better with this patch.

As always, we’re reading the forums, getting your feedback, and seeing your desires for Hellgate. The biggest issue we’re currently working on is the client-side memory usage issue. This is very complex and involved, and we also know that it’s a major issue for users. We’re pouring all of our energies right now into working on the game, so if you don’t see us reply to your posts it doesn’t mean we aren’t listening. It just means we’re working hard to make Hellgate: London a better and better experience.

Finally, work is well underway on Patch 0.7! This patch will address major memory issues, bring new UI changes, add blueprints and crafting for new items, make a ton of improvements, and usher in the holidays with some surprises for our subscription members. For more details, keep a watchful eye on www.hellgatelondon.com and look for announcements when you launch the game.

Thanks again for playing, and we’ll see you online!

The Hellgate: London Team

General

* Fixed a bug that caused group members to be invisible to other group members.

Chat

* The chat window no longer overlaps the Crafter merchant UI panel.
    * Fixed a bug that prevented the user from interacting with the chat panel via the mouse when the Buddy List or Guild Panel is open.
    * System messages are now displayed in all chat tabs.
    * The scroll bar on the Guild Panel should now function properly

Items

* Items dropped in the world now have slightly lower overall feed requirements.
    * Analyzers now work as expected on stashed items.

Engineers

* Fixed a bug that caused items equipped on an Engineer Drone to be unequipped when the Engineer summoned the Drone after changing levels.

World Movement

* Fixed a bug that caused players to be randomly teleported under certain circumstances.
    * Warp restriction text clarified to, "Warp Restricted. You don’t have a waypoint far enough to warp to this level."
    * Fixed an infinite loading issue for Russell Square. Some of those characters may not yet be able to progress in the story/areas, however, without getting a party portal to Russell Square to complete the "Forage" quest.

Patch Notes Disclaimer:

We make every effort to include all upcoming changes in our patch notes, but please be aware that occasionally changes are unintentionally

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
unbreakable
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 01:27:12 AM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on December 05, 2007, 01:18:25 AM

Finally, work is well underway on Patch 0.7! This patch will address major memory issues, bring new UI changes, add blueprints and crafting for new items, make a ton of improvements, and usher in the holidays with some surprises for our subscription members. For more details, keep a watchful eye on www.hellgatelondon.com and look for announcements when you launch the game.

Overall, that's my overwhelmingly biggest beef with the game.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 01:47:58 AM »

That's cool, but I believe that paragraph in the middle of the patch notes was actually intended to read (just a dramatization...):
Quote from: What they really meant to say is
As always, we’re randomly tossing fly swatters at the various bugs crawling around Hellgate in the hopes of perhaps hitting some. The biggest issue we’re currently working on is getting our engine to stop doing things we should've caught in the Alpha, much less the Beta. Hell, we should've caught the memory leaks when the game ending was a tech demo! Ha.

This is very complex and involved, and we don't really know what we're doing, nor do we actually have any staff to test the game before we send it to test or servers, nor did we spend any time or thought on our UI, our chat interface or anything else in the game for that matter (well, OK we did spend months on destructible barrels!) and we also know that it’s a major issue for users. However, as an independent studio, we don't have time for such luxuries. Who do you think we are? Blizzard? We're sorry, we mean "Activision Blizzard"? Give us a break.

We’re pouring all of our energies right now into working on the game when we're not busy pouring ales and sharing our misery over the condition the game launched in, the harsh reviews, the terrible word-of-mouth, the ticked off subscribers (aren't those big stashes looking like they're worth 10 bucks a month! Ha.) and so forth, so if you don’t see us reply to your posts it doesn’t mean we aren’t listening, it just means we're depressed, we're curled in a corner of the local pub in a fetal position clicking our heels and saying, "There's no place like Blizzard North! There's no place like Blizzard North!"

All of this means we’re working hard to make Hellgate: London the experience it should have been when it launched on a reasonable date, like maybe Feb. 1, 2008.
True, no? And I'm probably the biggest fan of the game here. No matter how much I enjoy much of the game, it's difficult for me to get gamer buds excited about a game whose launch and whose dull demo have generated so much negative buzz on the game.  icon_razz I guess my little parody just contributes to that. I would feel bad, but, it makes me feel good so I did it. smile
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 02:00:22 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:25:28 AM »

Horrible reviews?  Not really.  Purely -average- reviews?  Sure.  (Average Gamerankings score:  71%)
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 04:51:06 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on December 05, 2007, 02:25:28 AM

Horrible reviews?  Not really.  Purely -average- reviews?  Sure.  (Average Gamerankings score:  71%)

Bah, in the Post-Gerstmann era gaming journalism, that's, what, 90%... 95 if you're running full page ads of the game at the time?  Roll Eyes
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 04:56:37 AM »

So clearly rushed out the door, if this had actually been a Blizzard game, they would have delayed it until February, released to big fanfare and probably really good sales.  Have these companies learned nothing from Blizzard's example?  I mean, frankly EA has the money it needs to keep the development going for a few more months.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 05:13:09 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 05, 2007, 04:56:37 AM

So clearly rushed out the door, if this had actually been a Blizzard game, they would have delayed it until February, released to big fanfare and probably really good sales.

But...but... Nothing EVER sells well anytime during the year short of the 2 months before Christmas!  Roll Eyes

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »

So clearly rushed out the door, if this had actually been a Blizzard game, they would have delayed it until February, released to big fanfare and probably really good sales.  Have these companies learned nothing from Blizzard's example?  I mean, frankly EA has the money it needs to keep the development going for a few more months.

yeah, wasn't Diablo 2 released in June the year it came out?  Oh wait, it didn't do that well  icon_wink

I'm thinking they didn't have enough cash or pull to get EA to let them do a proper open beta.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
unbreakable
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 05:04:04 PM »

Have these companies learned nothing from Blizzard's example?

No, it appears the only thing these companies even learn from Blizzard is that they are making a lot of money from WoW.

So the "lesson" they take away from that is that you can make a lot of money with an MMO.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 05:10:03 PM »

I still always mistakenly think Starcraft released in late 1997. But it actually released in April 1998, and I seem to recall that gamers for months were griping about it being delayed and delayed (even though Blizz never gave an official release date -- I think it was more EB and the like posting "guess dates").

And I remember Medal of Honor: Allied Assault got roughly a 1-2 month delay from EA (!), which was supposedly because they realized they had something special and wanted to give 2015 (the late, deceased 2015  tear) a few more precious weeks to polish the game. You could probably dig up all sorts of stories like that where something really came together in the final weeks/months before release (but might well have been half baked without that precious bit of extra time).

I'm not saying Hellgate deserved a 6 month reprieve, but I can't help thinking even just pushing it to a holiday release might've given them more time to catch the more obvious bugs/memory leaks etc., clean up some UI things, maybe give the initial subscribers some more content etc. I just don't think "It's got to release on Halloween because it's a horror-themed game" makes any business sense at all in the long term.

My other theory is they wanted to treat this like an MMO, and most MMOs are updated in furious fashion constantly. I still see this as more of a Diablo II style game though. D2 was updated frequently to try to outwit hackers, and to fix balancing problems, but you didn't see them trying to do really major fixes (well, it's 7 years ago, forgive me if I've forgotten something major biggrin). Well, OK, when they moved Duriel away from the entrance so you could actually get in his tomb w/o dying, that was kind of major.  icon_wink

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 06:47:47 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on December 05, 2007, 05:04:04 PM

Have these companies learned nothing from Blizzard's example?

No, it appears the only thing these companies even learn from Blizzard is that they are making a lot of money from WoW.

So the "lesson" they take away from that is that you can make a lot of money with an MMO.

And therein lies the problem inherent with letting the inmates run the asylum. They frequently miss the point. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Hotfreak

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 04:41:39 PM »

The saddest thing is that the core gameplay (i.e. combat) is incredibly fun and addictive, while the loot system is awesomely implemented.  While I'm glad they spent their time refining these most important elements, the sore thumbs seem to really be bringing the game down.

I'm in the same boat with Black.  I deeply enjoy this game, but couldn't bring myself to recommend it to my friends/playpals due to all the muck they would have to wade through and heartbreak endure to get to where I am with it.

This one is on the house...and this one is better than ever...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: