http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 01:46:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hell has frozen over - I like Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory!  (Read 1306 times)
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2005, 12:26:43 PM »

Well, after I recently wrote a scathing critique of Red Storm games and said I wasn't purchasing them anymore, they go and fix most of the issues I had.

I really, really enjoyed Splinter Cell 1 and was bitterly disappointed with Pandora Tomorrow.  I was done with that game in 30 minutes after playing a part of level 1 over and over and over.  The guards in PT had bionic hearing and the game was just going to be a stress-fest.

Wow!  What a difference a day makes.  I fire up the demo for Chaos Theory (CT) and find to my delight that they:
- Added an "Easy" setting. No more bionic hearing!
- OMG!!!!!  You can save anytime you want!!!!!!  You read that right!!!!! Red Storm FINALLY got the message.  I can't believe it.
- The entire mission doesn't end if you don't achieve a secondary objective!
- You can play the mission the way YOU want to play it!!!!!!! At the beginning, it asks if you wanted to be outfitted for stealth or assault.  

Honestly, I'm SHOCKED! Red Storm is paying attention.  As a result, I'm sending them $50.

-
AgtFox
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »

Well, Red Storm has nothing to do with Splinter Cell.  The first and third ones were made by UbiSoft Montreal and Pandora Tomorrow was made by UbiSoft Shanghai.  Last thing Red Storm did was Ghost Recon 2 on the Xbox.  The next thing they do is Rainbow Six: Lockdown on Xbox and PS2.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 12:54:31 PM »

Red Storm isn't the parent company?  They have nothing to do with the game whatsoever?

Quote from: "AgtFox"
Well, Red Storm has nothing to do with Splinter Cell.  The first and third ones were made by UbiSoft Montreal and Pandora Tomorrow was made by UbiSoft Shanghai.  Last thing Red Storm did was Ghost Recon 2 on the Xbox.  The next thing they do is Rainbow Six: Lockdown on Xbox and PS2.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »

That would be correct.  Only thing that ties Red Storm to the game is the Tom Clancy name and people's notion that everything with Tom Clancy on it is done by Red Storm.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 01:12:53 PM »

Might be the reason for the changes too. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 07:53:00 PM »

- OMG!!!!! You can save anytime you want!!!!!! You read that right!!!!! Red Storm FINALLY got the message. I can't believe it.

The PC versions of the first two Splinter Cell games had save anywhere, so it's not like this is something new to the series.

I haven't played the demo, but I'm actually kind of disappointed to hear that they added it in to the Xbox version. It was immensely satisfying to go from checkpoint to checkpoint without any mistakes. For me, stealth games have always been about continually increasing tension. Knowing that the only consequence to screwing up a takedown is to revert to a save from 30 seconds ago deflates that somewhat.

Anyone know if they still have checkpoints or is it user-initiated save only? Hopefully, both, as that way we can all be happy  biggrin
DiamondDecision
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 07:59:17 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
- OMG!!!!! You can save anytime you want!!!!!! You read that right!!!!! Red Storm FINALLY got the message. I can't believe it.

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I haven't played the demo, but I'm actually kind of disappointed to hear that they added it in to the Xbox version. It was immensely satisfying to go from checkpoint to checkpoint without any mistakes. For me, stealth games have always been about continually increasing tension. Knowing that the only consequence to screwing up a takedown is to revert to a save from 30 seconds ago deflates that somewhat.

I take that to mean you're incapable of controlling yourself to not save and as a result want the rest of us to have our options limited?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 08:01:44 PM »

I didn't like the last ones either, now I'm potentially IN!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 08:09:51 PM »

I take that to mean you're incapable of controlling yourself to not save and as a result want the rest of us to have our options limited?  

I asked if they implemented both a checkpoint and a save-anywhere system.  I like an automatic checkpoint system because the developers know when they are throwing new gameplay wrinkles at me-- I don't. For example, the developer can throw a checkpoint in before a boss battle or jumping puzzle. I would just have to try and make an educated guess as to when those things occur.

My rule of thumb in limited save systems is that a developer should automatically save the game before the user encounters  trial-and-error gameplay or is placed in a new environment or situation where the user must try somethng new.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 09:03:18 PM »

Quote from: "DiamondDecision"
Well, after I recently wrote a scathing critique of Red Storm games and said I wasn't purchasing them anymore, they go and fix most of the issues I had.

I really, really enjoyed Splinter Cell 1 and was bitterly disappointed with Pandora Tomorrow.  I was done with that game in 30 minutes after playing a part of level 1 over and over and over.  The guards in PT had bionic hearing and the game was just going to be a stress-fest.

Wow!  What a difference a day makes.  I fire up the demo for Chaos Theory (CT) and find to my delight that they:
- Added an "Easy" setting. No more bionic hearing!
- OMG!!!!!  You can save anytime you want!!!!!!  You read that right!!!!! Red Storm FINALLY got the message.  I can't believe it.
- The entire mission doesn't end if you don't achieve a secondary objective!
- You can play the mission the way YOU want to play it!!!!!!! At the beginning, it asks if you wanted to be outfitted for stealth or assault.  

Honestly, I'm SHOCKED! Red Storm is paying attention.  As a result, I'm sending them $50.

-

I posted this a couple days ago, it was basically the same thing that you said. I didnt like the first two at all because of the one mistake your finished, puzzle aspect to the game. But this new game not only has phenomenal graphics (I mean, really jaw dropping good), but the gameplay also feels superior and the demo mission allowed me to run and gun if I wanted to (the combat controls are still clunky as all hell though). Unfortunately, I got stuck underground and couldn't find my way to destroy the last two weapon thingies so I couldnt finish the demo level, but I like it!
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 09:17:28 PM »

The devs have stated that their dynamic patrols will also make things more difficult in general, and more realistic.  Take out guards in one area, people come to investigate, even after you've left.  So instead of the checkpoint simply checking if you've left any bodies in the light in the previous area, a guard will come by and check over all the strange things that you did in the previous area and might raise the alarm that way.

Although, it wasn't apparent in the demo, the level was pretty linear.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2005, 09:18:50 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
The devs have stated that their dynamic patrols will also make things more difficult in general, and more realistic.  Take out guards in one area, people come to investigate, even after you've left.  So instead of the checkpoint simply checking if you've left any bodies in the light in the previous area, a guard will come by and check over all the strange things that you did in the previous area and might raise the alarm that way.

Although, it wasn't apparent in the demo, the level was pretty linear.

Tell me where to go after you

SPOILER find out the guy is dead SPOILER
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: