http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 01:19:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Rain - gameplay video  (Read 4518 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 06:48:18 PM »

Gametrailers has two new videos (Market Cinematic Choice 1 and 2) of the game in action, showing how one scene can play out in two very different ways.  Unfortunately, the first video is messed up, and a big box comes up covering much of the screen.  Also, they're definitely NSFW, as they feature lots of strong language.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 08:02:24 PM »

Less like Dragon's Lair, more like Martian Memorandum.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2009, 06:38:04 AM »

There's a video on voodooextreme where the cop successfully talks down the crook and he walks away.  I guess if you manage to sneak up behind him you can take him down that way too.

I love what they've done with the interface.

It also looks like they have their facial animation system in and close to final, but the expressions could use a little more tweaking.  There's a lot of nice subtle expression changes that people can miss since the models aren't as expressive as real humans.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2009, 05:57:08 PM »

I'm kinda pumped for this. Never was before.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 06:35:08 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 21, 2009, 05:57:08 PM

I'm kinda pumped for this. Never was before.

unfortunately, i'm the opposite - the more i see of it, the less it appeals to me. i think it's the overly-dramatic 'dead serious' tone/atmosphere - it's something that's personally never really appealed to me (in games, anyway), & this one seems to be deeply rooted in it. while i can admire the effort, i'll probably be waiting for impressions here...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »

First, they show a video where the main character strips in a nightclub to get information, and the newest video has her stripping naked (with boobs on display) at gunpoint.  These videos are making Dragon Age's marketing look tasteful by comparison  icon_confused
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 11:04:36 AM by EddieA » Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2009, 12:19:53 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 26, 2009, 11:03:04 AM

First, they show a video where the main character strips in a nightclub to get information, and the newest video has her stripping naked (with boobs on display) at gunpoint.  These videos are making Dragon Age's marketing look tasteful by comparison  icon_confused

Quantic Dream have never been one to shy away from nudity

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit-sex scene(NSFW)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFyqLM-cBoM-2 minutes

if i remember rightly there was also other sex scenes and a lap dance or two

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2009, 06:50:46 PM »

Yep, and plus he's European, they aren't shy about sex and nudity like us Americans are.  That nudity and sex may be a shocker here but over there it's just part of things.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2009, 06:51:55 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 26, 2009, 06:50:46 PM

Yep, and plus he's European, they aren't shy about sex and nudity like us Americans are.  That nudity and sex may be a shocker here but over there it's just part of things.

really? where??! ;-)

A new one
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2009, 07:13:32 PM »

Certainly was a shocker for me when I was watching German TV.  Tongue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2009, 07:34:37 PM »

It's not the nudity that I found objectionable, but how tacky it is.  Is it supposed to be a turn on to watch a woman strip at gunpoint?

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 07:59:35 PM »

It's not supposed to be a turn on. You're trying to find a way to knock out and interrogate the guy who's holding the gun. You only have to undress if you're unable to find a way to deal with the situation. "Tacky" is when God of War gets you into a threesome with silicone-enhanced girls who never utter a word. "Tacky" is when GTA: San Andreas makes you push a button for every thrust during sex. "Tacky" is when you slip a stripper a dollar in Duke Nukem to make her show you her tits.

The Heavy Rain developers have stated in interviews that they're using nudity in situations that will make the player uncomfortable. It's a way for them to create tension and promote emotion in their players.

Or perhaps you think it's tacky because it's a video game? Movies never have this issue.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2009, 05:18:31 AM »

Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt since Indigo Prophecy handled mature topics tastefully, but in two of the three videos they've shown of the lone female character, she's handled the situation by taking off her clothes.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 05:20:46 AM by EddieA » Logged

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2009, 05:45:33 AM »

Quote from: TiLT on September 26, 2009, 07:59:35 PM

It's not supposed to be a turn on. You're trying to find a way to knock out and interrogate the guy who's holding the gun. You only have to undress if you're unable to find a way to deal with the situation. "Tacky" is when God of War gets you into a threesome with silicone-enhanced girls who never utter a word.

They had silicone in ancient Greece?

I don't think you're giving those girls enough credit for their natural charms back then.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 27, 2009, 05:18:31 AM

Perhaps I should give them the benefit of the doubt since Indigo Prophecy handled mature topics tastefully, but in two of the three videos they've shown of the lone female character, she's handled the situation by taking off her clothes.

So you didn't see the first videos of Heavy Rain ever that had her rummaging around in a taxidermist serial killer's house?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2009, 09:11:54 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on September 27, 2009, 05:18:31 AM

Her two undressing scenes are actually different parts of the same scene. The one where she looks in the mirror and rips apart her skirt and tries to sex herself up is for when she's trying to get close to the guy with the gun. The other scene is when she's actually managed to get that close. Since there's a total of 65 or so scenes in the game (of which these two form part of one), I don't think it's a major part of the game. It's just one they've picked for the previews in order to get attention.

There's another scene with her in the trailers where attackers storm her house at night and she has to fight them off in her underwear (at least that's what it looks like is happening), which still doesn't feel out of place considering the situation.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2010, 03:11:34 AM »

demo incoming February 11th

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=232402

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2010, 03:41:38 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2010, 03:11:34 AM

In. I'm VERY much anticipating this game.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on January 23, 2010, 03:41:38 AM

Quote from: metallicorphan on January 23, 2010, 03:11:34 AM

In. I'm VERY much anticipating this game.

The only reason I bought the PS3. Well that and FF13 but yeah I was sold the moment I saw the audition tape. How did sony fuck up so horribly this gen?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »

there are a few shouts over the internet complaining about the control system,apparently you control them by pointing them in the direction you need to go and move,kinda like Resident Evil....Official Playstation Magazine who gave the game 9 out of 10 even complained about the controls saying that it "can be like finger twister at times"

that hasn't put me off,but i must admit,i am not a fan of the Resident Evil type movement

this is from a poster in the PS3 forums talking about what else the OPM review said
Other than that nothing really bad, the graphics are awesome, gameplay can be very slow also interestingly the worse you play the less of the game you see, you can get characters killed and therefore dont see thier side of the story, the reviewer also said first play through took about 8 hours.

There are several endings and several ways through, as the reviewer also said its defo one of those games you will love or hate.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »

I'm reading as little about this game as I can.

I want a game that sucks me in and there are consequences to my actions. Sounds like this fits the bill.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2010, 04:09:49 PM »

Not playing the demo, have also read as little as possible.  I really liked Indigo Prophesy, so I've been in on this one since it was announced.

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle it when I kill off all the characters as fast as possible.   icon_twisted

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2010, 04:50:18 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on January 23, 2010, 04:09:49 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing how they handle it when I kill off all the characters as fast as possible.   icon_twisted

Release day evening. Chaz launches the game and begins one of the real life scenarios at the start of the game:

<character approaches sink>
X to grab toothpaste
X to grab toothbrush
<controller motion moves brush to sink>
Y to turn on water
<controller motion to bring brush to mouth>

Do you:

<press> x to brush top row of teeth
<press> y to brush bottom row of teeth
<press> square to not brush teeth
<press> triangle to jam end of toothbrush in eye and rupture brain

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2010, 05:24:57 PM »

Triangle, triangle, for the love of God, TRIANGLE!

In the old game Life and Death 2: The Brain, I was also quite fond of poking my patients in the eye with the pin during the diagnosis phase.  The chief kept calling me into his office like I'd done something wrong.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »

its gone gold

there is also this

"Don't forget to pre-order your copy now so you will receive the first chapter of Heavy Rain Chronicles (upcoming downloadable-only episodes for Heavy Rain) at no cost, and you'll be able to download the first chapter once you've picked up your copy of Heavy Rain (otherwise, all others will need to pay $4.99 per chapter and won't be able to download until a month later - more info to come on Heavy Rain Chronicles)."

Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »

Wut?? WTH? What is wrong with developers these days? OR distrubutors? Are they insane?

I will not be a part of this.

Heavy Rain DLC - Wrong for consumers, wrong for America! Vote with your wallet!

A new one
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2010, 01:37:31 PM »

Any details on how this episodic stuff is going to work?

If i play through HR proper and get to the end and the bad guy slips out the window and it says "To be continued...in HR Chronicles!" I'll break the disk over my knee.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2010, 01:40:54 PM »

No, the episodes are all prequels from what I understand. The first one is what I believe is an extended version of the first scene they ever showed to the public, a scene that was never intended to be part of the main story. All the new scenes in Heavy Rain Chronicles will delve deeper into the histories and personalities of the main characters.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2010, 08:03:19 AM »

I believe there's supposed to be a prequel chapter for each of the four main characters.

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »

that mall scene looked terrible...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2010, 11:12:40 PM »

no biggie,but the game requires a 4.2 gig install,less than most games

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=233501

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 05, 2010, 03:47:35 PM »

slowly (it's getting hammered), but (hopefully) surely, downloading the demo (thanks to gaf)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2010, 03:53:07 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 05, 2010, 03:47:35 PM

slowly (it's getting hammered), but (hopefully) surely, downloading the demo (thanks to gaf)...

Kotaku reported to go to this site
http://www.precinct52.com/case1117_briefing

put in these answers
The four pieces of evidence are:

Short cigarette (117b)
Origami bird
Coffee shop C (it says "diner")
117h (tyre tracks).

and you will get the code to download the demo,however the site is under maintenance,prolly due to this...one person reported to of got a code eventually from there,only for it to be invalid on the store

so it looks like i will have to wait until the 11th to play the demo when it turns up on the store

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2010, 03:55:49 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 05, 2010, 03:53:07 PM

Quote from: semiconscious on February 05, 2010, 03:47:35 PM

Kotaku reported to go to this site
http://www.precinct52.com/case1117_briefing...

yeah, kotaku kinda killed the hr website with that post smile ...

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2010, 08:27:38 PM »

later that same day...

played thru the demo's 2 scenarios...

the good: i was surprised to find the overall tone, the characters, & the voice work all very satisfactory - my traditional adventure gaming experience has always been tilted toward the lighter stuff (lucasarts especially), & i was wary of how i'd feel about a more dead serious setting/environment, but this worked just fine for me. it all felt 'of a piece', & very organic, low-key, & comfortable...

the bad: the control scheme. while it's easy to read, &, much of the time, easy to use, much of it (i mean, like at least half of it) feels either pointless (4 interactions to use an inhaler?) or unnecessarily convoluted (multiple tricky & sometimes overlapping button presses to simply make your way up/down a muddy slope?). & the qte-style fistfight, to me, didn't feel all that different, fundamentally, than the qte stuff in gow (with the knob-twisting/controller-shaking, especially, not being a whole lot of fun)...

i was hoping the demo would make up my mind whether to get this or not, but it's kinda backfired smile . the 'negatives' for me got reduced (quite a bit, actually), but so did the positives: the qte stuff felt waaay more intrusive than i'd ever imagined it'd be. so, so much for that smile ...

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2010, 08:32:55 PM »

I still can't even register.

Figured it out.  I had a cap where I shouldn't in my e-mail.  Went through everything, but my code is effing invalid.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:01:10 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2010, 12:03:35 AM »

i got into the website but i can't select the third thing 'Coffee Shop C(its says Diner)'

edit;nevermind the page hadn't loaded properly and it just had the words

edit:edit:downloading now....it had 75 minutes on the clock..ouch 1754mb

once,twice three times a edit
half way there now so its not gonna be 75 minutes

Bull,some other people have been complaining that their code doesn't work as well,however...they have gone back into it,(signed in etc)selected the evidence again and have been given a different code and they haven't had any problems with that code so it may be worth a shot to try again,if it is possible
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:46:06 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2010, 04:32:38 AM »

As much as I want to, I'm not letting myself play the demo.  It's only a few weeks out, and I really want the whole experience to be completely fresh the first time.

I'm psyched.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 06, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »

it was alright,like SC says 4 action to use the inhaler was a bit much,same with using 3 buttons keeping your finger on two to squeeze through a gap

its a very slow game,but that's a good thing,it gives it the atmosphere

i wont be getting this day one,as i can't afford it(which i think means i miss out on the day one free DLC) ,but it certainly still on my must have list

depward

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 06, 2010, 06:11:21 PM »

Played the demo and as someone who was on the fence, it just confirmed my fence-sittingness: like semi, it just confirmed what I believed pre-demo play of the pros (incredibly atmospheric, great presentation, great attention to detail) and cons (QTEs, especially the fight scene, were a little much).

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: