http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heavy Rain - gameplay video  (Read 4439 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

Gametrailers has the first in-game video I've seen for Heavy Rain.  It looks to follow Indigo Prophecy's timed button-press gameplay (at least in the part they showed) and the graphics are  eek icon_eek eek

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on August 20, 2008, 09:29:11 PM

Gametrailers has the first in-game video I've seen for Heavy Rain.  It looks to follow Indigo Prophecy's timed button-press gameplay (at least in the part they showed) and the graphics are  eek icon_eek eek

2009? NOoooo!! I've been looking forward to Heavy Rain ever since the audition tape and is one of the reasons I bought a PS3.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 10:30:15 PM »

They didn't actually show much in the way of gameplay, or didn't really present it well.

However, even though it's still timed button presses, I do like the presentation a lot better this time around.  Notice how the buttons you need to press are small, aren't intrusive, and usually center around the person or object you need to interact with.  None of these giant flashy buttons to press, and the aren't in odd places of the sreen that force you to take your eyes off the action.  They also have the old move the right stick to do actions too.

The graphics are great, nothing all that new, but the attention to detail is really, really amazing.  Those are real-time in-game graphics too.

I hope they finally realize the potential that the first half of Indigo Prophecy had in this game.  If they can keep that more freeform adventuring that was in Indigo Prophecy and also fix up the action sequences and story, then this could be a real hit.  Length of game would be less of an issue if they really push the whole multiple outcomes feature.

Edit:  Here's new info about specifically what was shown in the demo, describing the gameplay, controls, choices, graphics, etc...  They also say that the demo segment won't be in the final game, it's just a concept to show to press.  Also, what's described sounds a lot like the better portions of Indigo Prophecy (including a classic split screen segment involving you and the killer).  In one case, the female protagonist successful escapes by sneaking out of the house while the killer went about his business, in another she gets caught and might fight and flee, and she can die.  It's also stated that should one of the main characters be killed due to player actions, the game will continue on.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/898/898580p1.html
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:57:00 AM by Turtle » Logged
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:06 AM »

Hot.  Crazy hot!!

TheMissingLink on PSN
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 01:30:13 AM »

eek impressive!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 02:13:15 AM »

It certainly looks nice, but it's basically Dragon's Lair gameplay?  That makes sense that they can up the graphics level if they've minimized the interaction.  That said, this is the first I've heard of it and all I know I just gleened from that trailer.

I'm interested in PS3 stuff because I might be picking up a unit as a Blu-Ray player this Fall if they drop the price.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 02:27:56 AM »

Quote from: Jancelot on August 21, 2008, 02:13:15 AM

It certainly looks nice, but it's basically Dragon's Lair gameplay?

Assuming it's similar to their last game, Indigo Prophecy, that's only part of it.  It's basically an adventure game, where you walk around, talk to people, solve puzzles, etc.  Action events play out with timed-button presses, although a little differently than shown here.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 02:44:47 AM »

And they design and script most things so that you can do them out of order, or change things depending on what you do, these actions will then have effects on the later story that are pretty significant.  You can even skip actions and that'll also effect the story.  So it's not the usual linear game, even if the action events are QTEs.

Try the demo for Indigo Prophecy (aka Fahrenheit) for an example, it's not for everyone but IG is the predecessor to Heavy Rain.  No other game has made doing something as mundane as washing your hands a tense experience, especially when you're washing the blood of some innocent man you just murdered for seemingly no reason.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:00:16 AM »

I'm pretty optimistic about this one- especially after they admitted that they totally hosed the final part of Indigo Prophecy. 
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 03:13:47 AM »

Yeah, I read that interview a while back.  The guy laid out a lot of the issues I had with the game, including way too many villains and outlandish fights.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 05:58:02 AM »

1Up has some details on the game here.

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:53 AM »

My first reaction :

Heavy Rain and Alan Wake are probably the games i'm looking most foward to, both games seems to focus on the story and looks great.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 02:03:49 AM »

as much as i have been looking forward to this and wowing over past screenshots,the video has put me off a little..think its the button presses,BUT i did enjoy Indigo Prophecy Fahrenheit...so i am guessing i will still enjoy this

the fact is,not matter how good it looks,you miss all the eye candy by concentrating on the buttons that appear on the screen...Fahrenheit pissed me off because i couldnt really see the awesome rooftop fight near the end of that,because i was just making sure i wasnt gonna fook up

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 03:22:26 AM »

Quote from: Maggot on August 23, 2008, 01:51:53 AM

My first reaction :

Heavy Rain and Alan Wake are probably the games i'm looking most foward to, both games seems to focus on the story and looks great.

so the ghosts attacked you too?  how did you get the ectoplasm stains out?

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »

Love it.  Day one.  My kind of drama.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 06:24:12 PM »

If Heavy Rain could only be purchased in exchange for $150 and one mason jar filled with human teeth, I'd already have my degree in dentistry.

-Autistic Angel
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 01:25:21 AM »

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.play3-live.com%2Fnews-ps3-heavy-rain-dans-les-coulisses-de-la-motion-capture-9841.html&hl=fr&ie=UTF8&sl=fr&tl=en

A article about the motion capture and actress playing Madison Paige (the main character in the LGC demo).
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 01:18:14 AM »

November release.

Four main playable characters: Ethan Mars, Scott Shelby, Madison Paige and Norman Jayden. Each one featuring different exclusive scenes, character backgrounds, abilities, personality, will be witness to different events and will share his/her own views on what's going on to build the story for the player.

FBI agent Norman Jayde was shown here, his job being the making of criminal psychological profiles. He was sent to the West Coast to investigate the Origami Killer case as backup since it's been months and the police still doesn't have a friggin clue. This already adds a tense relationship between him and the police that'll impact the storyline. He's been trained in psychological studies, able to dwelve into the killers' mind. He's highly professional and organized, but obsessed to the point he'd do anything to catch his man.

Jayden uses a prototype device: the ARI (Alternate Reality Interface), comprised of a pair of glasses and a glove linked together. The glasses are capable of detecting fingerprints, ADN remnants, blood trails and such that'd normally be invisible to the human eye. The glove allows for inmediate analysis of the substances bypassing the wait for lab results. Seems like Jayden's main weakness is his drug addiction. If he spends too long without a dose of Tryptocaine he will manifest abstinence syndrome in the form of convulsions, dizzyness, blurry vision and overall incapacitation that could be fatal in some situations. The player will have to juggle between following the killer's track and hiding this addiction.

Old interface has been discarded, now the context sensitive actions appear around the character as he moves around the environment - basically they come up as "ideas" on what to do. The speed these prompts move at, font size and such are relative to the character's emotional status. i.e: if he's calm, they'll move slowly, if he's under pressure they'll be fast and if he's drugged they'll appear blurry, nigh-unreadable. Dialogs use the same system.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 01:39:17 AM by Maggot » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 05:58:17 AM »

Wow, where did you get this info?  Those shots look good, not quite as good as the demo they showed with the crazy taxidermist.  What's more interesting though is how they're melding that character flaw of addiction into the gameplay.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »

From spanish site that is why i didnt post any source.

Here is some videos. smile
http://www.gametrailers.com/gametrailerstv_player.php?ep=60&ch=1&sd=0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKqYxSFxk4Q
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3174347

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:12:21 AM by Maggot » Logged
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 09:36:18 AM »

Girl looks like she lost some weight, and became a man, since the last demo footage.

I wonder what happened to the models, they look odd now and that same character from just a few months ago looked excellent.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

Can't wait can't wait can't wait!
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on May 22, 2009, 09:36:18 AM

Girl looks like she lost some weight, and became a man, since the last demo footage.

I wonder what happened to the models, they look odd now and that same character from just a few months ago looked excellent.

Police guy looks odd but madison looks pretty much the same i think.

Anyway the night club sure looks nice

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 01:49:35 PM »

Looks absolutely fantastic....i loved Indigo Prophecy(Fahrenheit for me)

i have one complaint...in Fahrenheit with the QTE's i missed all the good stuff that was actually happening on the screen because i was concentrating on what actions appeared

see this screen below,i wasn't looking at the characters,i always refocused my eyes to watch for the simple simon(the red,yellow,blue and green) type actions,because they could appear and change pretty fast...so i always missed the cool parts of the game because of this

with Heavy Rain it looks as though the QTE for this game doesn't look as though they are gonna be the main thing(see that guy getting out of the car crusher in Heavy rain)on the screen this time round,much smaller action buttons(triangle etc)..hopefully i wont miss the action this time round icon_lol

Heavy Rain looks great....i am wondering that perhaps it looks better than Alan Wake....2 games that are must buys and two games that pretty much makes me glad i have both PS3 and 360....do you think it looks better than Alan Wake?(although we really haven't seen that much 'Wake' yet)

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »

pleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuckpleasedon'tsuck

I really liked Indigo Prophecy, but I totally agree with metallic that the speed and short timing windows of the QTEs made me miss a good chunk of the action that the QTEs were driving, which was a shame.  I have high hopes that Heavy Rain will be good.  Are we hoping for a fall release for it?

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 02:42:24 PM »

well Maggot put down November and i have heard other sites say the same,Assassins Creed 2 has just been confirmed for then and so has Call Of Duty:Modern warfare 2...and wasn't Batman:Arkham Asylum put back 'til around about then?...wheres CK?,he will me mocking me about this soon enough

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2009, 02:48:54 PM »

Isn't this the sequel to that alien invasion movie starring that guy who looked like Eddie Murphy, Chubby Rain? [/convoluted joke mode]

I never finished IP.  I hope this is good.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2009, 02:50:07 PM »

At the end of a new interview with Gamespot David Cage says that the release date will be announced by Sony at E3... But the spanish site said november and gamereactor (danish mag) said in their article they knew the release date but was embargoed so very possible that the november date is true and they just accidentally leaked it.

It sure does look nice but i hope they will cut back a little on the depth of field.... Too many devs over using it. But the part with Madison walking in the nightclub is just amazing, damm it looks good and i'm sucker for games with this many options, choices and diffrent endings. biggrin
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 02:53:53 PM by Maggot » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2009, 02:56:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 22, 2009, 02:42:24 PM

well Maggot put down November and i have heard other sites say the same,Assassins Creed 2 has just been confirmed for then and so has Call Of Duty:Modern warfare 2...and wasn't Batman:Arkham Asylum put back 'til around about then?...wheres CK?,he will me mocking me about this soon enough

Batman is still late summer, but it'd serve you right for it to come out in November now.  May the gaming gods curse you with 5 more releases you want in November, Mister 'I'm OK with Batman being delayed'  Tongue

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2009, 02:58:36 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2009, 02:56:05 PM

Batman is still late summer, but it'd serve you right for it to come out in November now.  May the gaming gods curse you with 5 more releases you want in November, Mister 'I'm OK with Batman being delayed'  Tongue

That didn't take long.  I think CeeKay has a bot searching for his name to pop up in a forum.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2009, 03:01:17 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 22, 2009, 02:58:36 PM

That didn't take long.  I think CeeKay has a bot searching for his name to pop up in a forum.

no, MO called me up and told me to mock him.  I never realized he's actually French  icon_twisted

I keep forgetting that Direct2Drive has the European version of Indigo Prophecy, 'Farhenheit'.  I think I may grab it this weekend.

Because I can,
Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2009, 03:10:04 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 22, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

I keep forgetting that Direct2Drive has the European version of Indigo Prophecy, 'Farhenheit'.  I think I may grab it this weekend.

There isnt much of a diffrent other than some hairy vagina... You can really see the devs are french.  icon_smile
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2009, 03:57:12 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 22, 2009, 01:49:35 PM

with Heavy Rain it looks as though the QTE for this game doesn't look as though they are gonna be the main thing(see that guy getting out of the car crusher in Heavy rain)on the screen this time round,much smaller action buttons(triangle etc)..hopefully i wont miss the action this time round icon_lol

You can see the QTE icons moving around on the screen, either around your character for more generic stuff like dialogue, or on top of the items the QTE will make you interact with. This coordination between GUI and the game should make it much easier to see what's going on, since your eyes will be forced to look at the important areas of the screen.

Or at least I think that's the idea. I'm looking forward to seeing how it works in action.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »

no, MO called me up and told me to mock him.  I never realized he's actually French  icon_twisted

LOUL! Just now I realized what  MO's name REALLY is - I always thought it was something like "Metalli -Corphan and I'd no clue what that meant :-D

A new one
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on May 22, 2009, 04:45:07 PM

LOUL! Just now I realized what  MO's name REALLY is - I always thought it was something like "Metalli -Corphan and I'd no clue what that meant :-D

Even knowing what it is, I still see it as metachlorian.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2009, 08:21:29 PM »

when i used to post a lot on the LucasArts Star Wars Battlefront Boards i got my own 'smurf'..but he called himself Ceramicorphan,and just used to follow me about(post directly after me and posting the same stuff i had just posted) icon_confused

and my xbox 1 chose my name when i joined Xbox Live however many years ago that was(2003,2004?)

i just realised that Bioshock 2 is also out late octoberish/early novemberish....oh all these games are going to be fun Roll Eyes,no doubt E3 will throw some out around that time as well

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 11:02:13 AM »

delayed?

all though i don't think November was written in stone,so saying its delayed may not be entirely true...if it is next year,i am not that suprised

Maggot
Gaming Trend Reader

Calculating Infinity

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 11:18:56 AM »

Me neither... They already have some games coming out novembr/close to christmas (God of war 3, MAG and Ratchet and clank) not to mention there is so many other multi platform games and it looks like sony likes early year releases.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 08:58:35 AM »

the latest screenshots.

new trailer too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 09:06:17 AM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 03:47:41 PM »

whatever you do, don't compare the game to Dragons Lair  icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: