http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 05:17:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heatseeker Wii  (Read 854 times)
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »

Gamespot and IGN came down pretty hard on Heatseeker (5.4 and 5.5), but other sites seemed to like it.  I picked it up for the Wii and played the first set of missions.  It's pretty fun. 

Control is great, but it takes just a little while to get used to it (every once in a while, I want to pull up with the nunchuck, but that controls your speed). 

I've only played the arcade setting, and it's fast and furious, but a little on the easy side, as far as targeting and firing goes.  The challenge comes in getting to the incoming bandits before they can take out something at the base. 

There are a ton of things to unlock, it seems, and not just videos.  Better planes and weapons, too.

The missions are on the long side, and a lot of them seemed to be of the "Here comes another wave, take 'em out" variety, but there's something very entertaining about doing just that.  It's kind of like the waves of enemies in Earth Defense Force, but not as manic or overwhelming.

The graphics seem to be a big complaint for the reviewers.  They've been called PS2 launch-era quality.  That's ridiculous.  It's not a 360 or PS3 game, for sure, but it's not that bad.  The graphics are better than a lot of the 1st round of Wii games, but clearly not as good as they should be.  They are colorful, and there's a lot of pretty sunlight glaring going on, but some of the plane and ship details are turned down.

Anyway, all told, this game is probably not worth the $50 price tag, but when you see it for $30, give it a go.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:12:51 PM »

Saw some gameplay videos, looked fun. Like that arcade game, Afterburner? i think it was called.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 08:38:29 PM »

Good review Bullwinkle. I'll likely be picking this up when it price drops or when I can get a pre-owned copy at a decent price. I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but could you quickly comment on whether it supports any multiplay?
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on May 03, 2007, 08:38:29 PM

Good review Bullwinkle. I'll likely be picking this up when it price drops or when I can get a pre-owned copy at a decent price. I haven't read any of the reviews yet, but could you quickly comment on whether it supports any multiplay?

There does not appear to be any multiplayer.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 09:38:21 PM »

Wii != Multiplayer.

:/

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 09:57:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on May 03, 2007, 08:55:33 PM

Quote from: kronovan on May 03, 2007, 08:38:29 PM

There does not appear to be any multiplayer.

Damn that really bites! Might explain some of the low review scores. Is it just me or does this type of game just beg to have co-op multiplay.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 07:32:14 AM »

I swa this but figured it would be better after a few price drops.  Do you hold the Wii mote like a flight stick?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on May 04, 2007, 07:32:14 AM

I swa this but figured it would be better after a few price drops.  Do you hold the Wii mote like a flight stick?

No, just like a controller.  The controls are really smooth, though.

Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:39:43 PM »

I am going to wait until I can get this for a little cheaper. All of the videos make it look like something I want to play.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: