http://gamingtrend.com
September 19, 2014, 06:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 7010 times)
Lee
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »

Anyone else playing this? In typical Blizzard fashion, I am blow away after a couple of hours of play with the polish and game play.

Pretty simple mechanics, gain mana each turn, get a card, play minion cards or cast spells until you run out of mana. Attack with minions, special powers, some heroes can attack with weapons, etc. Really nothing new as far as these types of games go, and you will have the basics figured out in 10 minutes. Something like 8 classes to unlock and level, each with 20 core cards. You start with 10 core cards and collect the rest just by playing the computer it seems.

I have been playing the mage in practice mode (I cannot beat the priest with her and it's driving me nuts), but then a quest came in to play a multiplayer game (took about 30 seconds to find a match). So tried it out and I got another new player playing a mage as well (but he had a lot of different cards than I did a mage). I beat him pretty easily which was surprising because I really suck. Completing the quest got me a 5 card bonus pack.

It's really fun, and it's free. I still haven't gotten into deck building and whatever sort of crafting it has. Just been trying to unlock characters.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 08:48:59 PM by Lee » Logged
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:09:54 PM »

I play occasionally
Reemul

Knock Knock

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 08:18:05 PM »

Just started it, looks good.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:26:04 PM »

I've been playing on a daily basis since I got access in December and still really enjoy the game.  While I wish I could play The Arena a bit more often, but otherwise I've been pretty satisfied with my feeling of progression despite not spending any real monies. 

I'm a lot better at playing a match than I am at designing decks.  I really, really suck at deckbuilding.  I do much better if I just use deck templates I find online, but since I'm still early in growing my card collection it's hard to find deck templates that don't include legendary rareness cards I have no hope of obtaining anytime soon.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »

I played it a ton for a week then stopped... fun, quick games, but I was a bit frustrated by some of the balancing and randomness to it. Will give it another go sometime though.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:51:36 PM »

The arena? I don't think I have seen mention of that.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:53:00 PM »

Been in the beta for a long time now and had some fun with it, but I haven't played in quite awhile now.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 23, 2014, 08:51:36 PM

On the main menu, your choices are Play, Practice, or The Arena.  Play lets you use decks you've constructed from your collection against other players, and Practice is the same but vs AI.

The Arena has you play with cards completely separate from those you've collected.  With a 150 gold entry fee, you first choose your class from one of three random choices, and then you draft your deck of cards for the run by repeatedly choosing from one of three offered cards.  With that deck, you then compete against other human players to see how many wins you can get before losing 3 times.  Getting 2-3 wins is average, but you can get up to 12 wins.  The more wins you get, the better a prize you get at the end.

Even if you go 0-3, you will at the very least get one card pack as part of your prize, plus some amount of gold or crafting dust.  Since straight-up buying a card pack costs 100 gold anyhow, most of the extra 50 gold you pay for The Arena automatically gets offset by the base prize, and you have a shot at winning even more than that if you have a good run.

I really like The Arena because it lets me try out rare cards I have yet to obtain for my collection, and because I know I'm on equal footing with my opponent.  Unfortunately, I usually really suck in The Arena because I'm so inept at deckbuilding, but I still have fun and I'm getting better at making choices in the card draft.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 09:34:17 PM »

Is there a reason why everyone is being coy and not listing their Battlenet IDs so we could play with each other? 

My battletag ID is:  rittchard#1447

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »

wonderpug#1592
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 10:31:11 PM »

Leeabe51#2458

Changed to Sixtus#1376
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 02:01:11 PM by Lee » Logged
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:17:46 AM »

Been having trouble staying connected to Battlenet tonight for some reason.

It cost me an Arena session too.   mad
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 06:36:49 PM »

Apparently you have to beat each of the AI guys once before Arena unlocks.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:40:32 PM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 24, 2014, 06:36:49 PM

Since I can't seem to beat the dang priest, that maybe an issue. (not that I have tried since yesterday morning).

Ironically my CPU in my Macbook Air (2011 model) doesn't meet the specs for this game, but my iPad will (eventually).
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »

Quote from: Lee on January 24, 2014, 06:40:32 PM

Since I can't seem to beat the dang priest, that maybe an issue. (not that I have tried since yesterday morning).

Ironically my CPU in my Macbook Air (2011 model) doesn't meet the specs for this game, but my iPad will (eventually).

I think I have an even older Macbook Air and it plays the game just fine, despite the warning I got at installation that it was below specs.  Drains the battery like crazy though.

As for beating the priest, I'd recommend abandoning the default decks for your classes and either create your own or look for "basic <classname> deck" for your class of choice.  I think the people-made basic card decks are much better than the default ones.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 06:55:43 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on January 24, 2014, 06:46:11 PM

Quote from: Lee on January 24, 2014, 06:40:32 PM

I think I have an even older Macbook Air and it plays the game just fine, despite the warning I got at installation that it was below specs.  Drains the battery like crazy though.

As for beating the priest, I'd recommend abandoning the default decks for your classes and either create your own or look for "basic <classname> deck" for your class of choice.  I think the people-made basic card decks are much better than the default ones.

I think I ended up using the Mage to beat him with just a few slight additional cards that I'd won.  Just a lot of the DD spells seemed to be the trick, hit him early and often and hopefully save a big damage burst to finish him before he gets a chance to regen. 
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2014, 08:07:30 PM »

Playing casual games with a Shamen trying to figure out how to play it. I lost 2 games in a row without even damaging my opponent. The first was a warrior who kept building up armor and I could never get any minions established. The second was a mage, but this battle was different. The players name was "Unknown" and they really knew what they were doing. I saw my first orange card played even. He trashed me, and again I could never get any minions set up, he would knock them down before I could get anything in.

Getting very disheartened with this game.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 05, 2014, 08:07:30 PM

Playing casual games with a Shamen trying to figure out how to play it. I lost 2 games in a row without even damaging my opponent. The first was a warrior who kept building up armor and I could never get any minions established. The second was a mage, but this battle was different. The players name was "Unknown" and they really knew what they were doing. I saw my first orange card played even. He trashed me, and again I could never get any minions set up, he would knock them down before I could get anything in.

Getting very disheartened with this game.

You can practice against AI using both normal and expert decks to get experience and see tactics for a long, long time before you need to play against another player.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2014, 08:24:13 PM »

Lee, also feel free to shoot me a match invite if you see me online.  I'd be happy to coach you through any beginner errors I notice.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

Will have to do that Wonderpug. My problem with all games I play is that I tend to rush and not think things through, and that is hurting me (I am not a patient person). I do win games in casual, just those last 2 games were frustrating.

I was playing casual against people because you supposedly get more experience than playing the computer. Plus it helps complete quests.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2014, 08:47:01 PM »

Are you using a deck you made yourself or one of the default ones?   I didn't do very well at all with the default decks, and felt much more capable when I used some I found by googling "<name of class> basic deck".

I wish the game had a way of recording matches.  Even if it was a non-animated transcript of each card played, it'd be enough to troubleshoot what may be going wrong in your matches.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »

Quote from: Lee on February 05, 2014, 08:40:51 PM

Will have to do that Wonderpug. My problem with all games I play is that I tend to rush and not think things through, and that is hurting me (I am not a patient person). I do win games in casual, just those last 2 games were frustrating.

I was playing casual against people because you supposedly get more experience than playing the computer. Plus it helps complete quests.

I guess it would work the same against casual opponents, but I learned some tactics and card combos from the AI.  Helped me learn the ropes as I had never played a card game like this of any kind.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2014, 02:59:13 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 05, 2014, 08:40:51 PM

Will have to do that Wonderpug. My problem with all games I play is that I tend to rush and not think things through, and that is hurting me (I am not a patient person).
Rush decks are pretty deadly if you don’t like having to combo cards.  Make a Rogue deck that is 3/4 minions under cost 4 and just throw everything you have at your opponent.  Put as many charge minions in your deck as you can.  Always go for the enemy hero, ignoring all but the most deadly of minions.  Priest and mages will give you trouble but most other players will crumble under the pressure.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 03:00:48 AM by Lordnine » Logged
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 02:03:58 PM »

Changed my name to my old EQ name, Sixtus#1376.

I am using a deck I designed myself and I did a bit of reading on deck building, so going to play with it a bit. Been playing other classes this morning so I have a better understanding of what different classes are capable of.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »

I have accepted I just suck at this game, but I am ok with it, I enjoy playing it. I have a mage deck that I do really well with in casual, winning more than I lose. Go into ranked though and I always get killed. People are playing a good portion of gemmed cards usually with at least an orange card or two. Are people spending real money? Just play a lot? Good at arena? I only have one purple card, let alone an orange.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 11:52:36 PM »

Some are probably paying money but I would wager the majority just play more than you.  Every booster pack you get has at least one “gemmed” card in it.  By just completing your daily quests and then rolling your earned money into playing in the arena you can get a booster pack about every other day.  Considerably more if you get a good run in arena.

I play maybe an hour a day and I tend to unlock 3-4 booster packs a week.  Doing well in arena also gives you dust which you can use to create any card you want.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 11:56:04 PM »

I haven't been doing the arena outside of the first free entry into it, which I lost all 3 badly (I was playing the priest, which I hate). Arena is better than just buying packs for 100gp I take it?
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »

Unless you hate playing arena, definitely.  Even if you lose every game you are still guaranteed one booster pack for playing in arena.  On top of that you get rewards based on your wins.

0 = A pack and about 25-30 gold or dust.
1 = A pack, and either about 30-50 gold or dust, or a common card.
2= A pack, and either about 40-50 gold or dust, or a rare or common card.
3= A pack and about 25-30 gold, plus either about 25 dust, 25 gold, a common card, or a rare card.

Prizes increase all the way up to 12 wins

12 = One or two packs and a minimum of 225 gold. With a possibility of common, rare and/or golden cards. Possible epic or legendary card rewards. (one individual card)

In my opinion, there is no reason NOT to spend your gold on arena.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:20 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on February 14, 2014, 11:52:36 PM

Some are probably paying money but I would wager the majority just play more than you.  Every booster pack you get has at least one “gemmed” card in it.  By just completing your daily quests and then rolling your earned money into playing in the arena you can get a booster pack about every other day.  Considerably more if you get a good run in arena.

In addition, some people have already been in the beta since last summer and have built up substantial card collections and experience.

The orange gemmed cards (legendary) are pretty darn rare.  I think I read that you have a 20% chance of getting a purple and a 5% chance of an orange.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2014, 02:26:06 AM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 15, 2014, 12:34:20 AM

The orange gemmed cards (legendary) are pretty darn rare.  I think I read that you have a 20% chance of getting a purple and a 5% chance of an orange.

When I play ranked games I always get rank 24 people (I am still 25) but what seems odd to me that they have so many good cards. Ranked games in general seem out of my league. Maybe it will get better when it comes out of beta and you have all the iPad newbies.

I will start playing arena I guess. Just have to get used to the deck building, but I think my strategies are getting better for most classes.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 02:47:15 AM »

They have it so every month the rankings get reset, and so someone who was previously rank 7, for example, will show up at ranks 20-25 until they climb up again.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2014, 06:31:19 AM »

Wow this game is really great.  My first time with a CCG and I'm digging it.  I really plan to play it more once it comes out on iPad (any idea when?)

What are the recommended CCG 's in iOS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2014, 07:54:01 PM »

Also, I am aware that Blizzard has announced cross-platform play, which is awesome.  I'm curious though, will my unlocks/decks be tied to my battle.net account and automatically be available on the iPad version?  Hopefully they will... 

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:15 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on February 17, 2014, 07:54:01 PM

Also, I am aware that Blizzard has announced cross-platform play, which is awesome.  I'm curious though, will my unlocks/decks be tied to my battle.net account and automatically be available on the iPad version?  Hopefully they will... 

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that both versions will connect to the same card collections.  Don't hold your breath for the iPad version, though, it sounds like it's a long ways off from being ready.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2014, 08:15:15 PM

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that both versions will connect to the same card collections.  Don't hold your breath for the iPad version, though, it sounds like it's a long ways off from being ready.

Good, if it was on the iPad I probably wouldn't stop playing it. I would have a lot more rage quits as well.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2014, 09:29:57 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 17, 2014, 08:15:15 PM

Sounds good!
I love the strategy/ logic in this game...

Hate it's a long way away though.  I'm not a developer but it doesn't seem like a daunting task to port it to iPad.   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2014, 09:38:33 PM »

They are still bugs and balance issues to be worked out, so I think they want to get the game out of beta before really going full-bore on the iPad version.  And even then, this is Blizzard, so "when it's ready" release dates tend to take a while.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:03 PM »

I can't seem to get out of level 19.  I get bumped down to 20 often, too.  Not quite good enough to get a good streak going and gain rank.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 11:50:36 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on February 17, 2014, 09:41:03 PM

I can't seem to get out of level 19.  I get bumped down to 20 often, too.  Not quite good enough to get a good streak going and gain rank.

Braggart. icon_confused
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2014, 03:12:40 AM »

Quote from: Lee on February 17, 2014, 11:50:36 PM

Quote from: leo8877 on February 17, 2014, 09:41:03 PM

Braggart. icon_confused

Lee, I'm thinking we should get a match in soon...  I'm only learning too, but I'm impressed so far.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: