http://gamingtrend.com
February 12, 2016, 05:44:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: War for the Overworld - basically a new Dungeon Keeper  (Read 702 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12178


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:09:37 PM »

I backed War for the Overworld on Kickstarter a couple years ago, and they have now finally released on Steam.

As the title says, and as this launch trailer shows, the basic goal was to make a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper and stay a bit more true to that formula than other games that had tried in the past (like the Dungeons series).  I know there are some old school Dungeon Keeper fans hanging about, so maybe this interests you as well.

Apparently if you buy in the first month you'll get the Early Adopter bonus, which will be to get the first DLC for free whenever it releases in a few months.
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13285


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:10:36 PM »

Cool, will definitely be checking this out.   I love that they even got Daddy Pig back for the voice work thumbsup
Logged

"Sans, stop plaguing my life with incidental music!" - The Great Papyrus, Undertale
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12178


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 05:26:24 AM »

RPS has an article about the development and talks with the developer: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/04/01/dungeon-keeper-remake/
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Lordnine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1757


Lord of the Rutabagas


View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

The content is great; unfortunately, my time with the game has been riddled with bugs.  They have already patched the game at least twice since launch and I have confidence that it will be a very good game, but I would honestly wait a week or two.
Logged
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12178


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:57:13 PM »

Yeah, I'm probably going to wait a week or two for all the bugs to get sorted out.  I've already waited over 2 years since the Kickstarter, I can wait a little longer.

As you say, they had patched a few times already, including another 345MB patch today that seems to fix many of the big complaints, so at least they are right on top of things.
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13285


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 03:38:38 AM »

I grabbed this today and played through the first few missions.  While it certainly needs some polish (the devs are cranking out patches fast and furious), they did an absolutely fantastic job of re-creating Dungeon Keeper.  The tone, the style, the look...it's all a very welcome wave of nostalgia for those of us who played the DK games.

Had an absolute blast with it tonight and would certainly give it a big thumbs up, with the caveat that you may want to wait until it's patched a little further before pulling the trigger.
Logged

"Sans, stop plaguing my life with incidental music!" - The Great Papyrus, Undertale
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2502


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 06:17:14 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on April 05, 2015, 03:38:38 AM

I grabbed this today and played through the first few missions.  While it certainly needs some polish (the devs are cranking out patches fast and furious), they did an absolutely fantastic job of re-creating Dungeon Keeper.  The tone, the style, the look...it's all a very welcome wave of nostalgia for those of us who played the DK games.

Had an absolute blast with it tonight and would certainly give it a big thumbs up, with the caveat that you may want to wait until it's patched a little further before pulling the trigger.

Must.....resist......


Dungeon Keeper was one of my favorite games of all time. Every developer attempting to recreate it has failed horribly. Don't play with my heart strings, Gratch!
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13285


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 03:51:06 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on April 05, 2015, 06:17:14 AM

Must.....resist......

Dungeon Keeper was one of my favorite games of all time. Every developer attempting to recreate it has failed horribly. Don't play with my heart strings, Gratch!

If you're looking for someone to talk you out of it, that sure won't be me.  War for the Overworld isn't "like" Dungeon Keeper, it IS Dungeon Keeper with a few new wrinkles.  Right down to the exact same UI and evil hand cursor.

I've never been able to get the GOG versions running on modern systems, so the 3 hours I spent with it last night took me right back to the days of Pentium II, Voodoo 2, and a 17" CRT monitor that took up half my desk.  smile  I have heard rumblings that the campaign is kinda unbalanced, with some massive and sudden difficulty spikes.  I'm more into just running skirmish maps though, those are more fun.
Logged

"Sans, stop plaguing my life with incidental music!" - The Great Papyrus, Undertale
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3922


View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 06:03:06 PM »

I still think Evil Genius is the best Dungeon Keeper game I've played.  You still order workers to carve out rooms and produce facilities, but you also get to manually furnish them with a variety of functional items as you complete research projects.  You also have to seriously consider the layout of your base -- you cannot simply dump a fistful of minions onto intruders, so you need to include security cameras, P.A. speakers, and weapons lockers so your soldiers can mobilize against encroaching threats.

The biggest problem is that the officially patched version still includes some serious bugs.  For example, a major strategic consideration of the game is supposed to be managing your "Heat" level on the worldwide map.  Unfortunately, deploying diplomatic minions does not lower your Heat level like it's supposed to, so you need to seek out unofficial patches to address some of the issues.

-Autistic Angel
Logged
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13285


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 06:30:45 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on April 05, 2015, 06:03:06 PM

I still think Evil Genius is the best Dungeon Keeper game I've played.  You still order workers to carve out rooms and produce facilities, but you also get to manually furnish them with a variety of functional items as you complete research projects.  You also have to seriously consider the layout of your base -- you cannot simply dump a fistful of minions onto intruders, so you need to include security cameras, P.A. speakers, and weapons lockers so your soldiers can mobilize against encroaching threats.

The biggest problem is that the officially patched version still includes some serious bugs.  For example, a major strategic consideration of the game is supposed to be managing your "Heat" level on the worldwide map.  Unfortunately, deploying diplomatic minions does not lower your Heat level like it's supposed to, so you need to seek out unofficial patches to address some of the issues.

-Autistic Angel

I've tried Evil Genius a couple times, but the whole "James Bond Supervillain" setting just does nothing for me.  There's just something about recruiting Succubi and Demons instead of spies and henchmen that makes it so much more fun.
Logged

"Sans, stop plaguing my life with incidental music!" - The Great Papyrus, Undertale
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12178


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 01:25:51 AM »

I've only gotten to play a couple hours so far, and it's been ages since I've put in real time with a Dungeon Keeper game, but man does this scratch that itch!  I played a couple Campaign missions but then switched to Skirmish mode since all I really wanted was to keep expanding my dungeon. 

I do think the voice acting is a huge element that makes this feel a LOT like Dungeon Keeper, but that's a good thing in my mind.   icon_smile thumbsup
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 12178


I said good day, sir!


View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 04:56:47 AM »

They put out another patch today (their 21st since launch!) that includes some performance improvements and other fixes.

There is also a lengthy https://wftogame.com/state-of-the-game-13-04-2015/state of the game post[/url] along with a video of what they're working on for the next few weeks.

I'm not sure how their sales are doing but I hope it was successful enough to continue.  They really had the stereotypical development problem of running out of money and shipping a buggy mess as a last resort even though that may have hurt them in the long run.
Logged

Demons run when a good man goes to war.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.176 seconds with 47 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.072s, 2q)