http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 04:38:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you own an HDTV and do you use it for gaming?  (Voting closed: July 18, 2006, 04:02:28 PM)
Yes, I currently own but don't or won't use it for gaming - 0 (0%)
Yes, I currently own and I will or currently use it for gaming - 51 (73.9%)
No, but I will by the end of the year and I'll use it for gaming - 7 (10.1%)
No, but I will by the end of the year but I won't use it for gaming - 0 (0%)
I have no intention and/or wherewithal to own an HD set this year - 11 (15.9%)
Total Voters: 69

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDTV for gaming..  (Read 5707 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 10:12:57 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Quote from: "Darren8r"
Holy man 36 people own HDTV's.

Anyone want to lend me a few thousand bucks? I have been eyeing up a HD Plasma 42" for a while.

Look at good 1080p DLPs instead.  smile

i'm currently holding out for the new 1080p 50" Sony Grand WEGA SXRD that is set to hit stores within the next month.  the Sony 1080p currently in stores is a great looking TV, but it doesn't accept 1080p input (it only upscales to 1080p)...the 2006 model will though Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 10:34:09 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
While that is a point to consider, to get a similar size/resolution with LCD or Plasma, up front it's going to run you a lot more than having to replace a $300 bulb every few years.  My Sony 50A10 LCoS set can be found for $1200 - the cheapest 50" LCD or Plasma that will display true HD is $2000, at least.  The difference will buy quite a few bulbs smile

Yes, but the poor picture and the rapidly declining brightness as compared to a plasma can be another cost thing. I am happy with the 30" Sony I have right now; in about 2 years I may get another display. I'd rather save up than to settle with something I'll ultimately regret.

The LG 34" and Sharp Aquos 34" LCD (non-RP) can be had for less than 2000 USD, and they are small enough to become the "bedroom TV" when you can get a bigger set.

Hell, for the cost of a RP LCD or DLP, I'd rather get a front-projector (if I'm gonna change bulbs, it's going to be for a 7'+ screen biggrin).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 10:48:45 PM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "Darren8r"
Holy man 36 people own HDTV's.

Anyone want to lend me a few thousand bucks? I have been eyeing up a HD Plasma 42" for a while.

Look at good 1080p DLPs instead.  smile

i'm currently holding out for the new 1080p 50" Sony Grand WEGA SXRD that is set to hit stores within the next month.  the Sony 1080p currently in stores is a great looking TV, but it doesn't accept 1080p input...the 2006 model will though Cool

I have the 60in sxrd model from last year you'll love it nice picture I also own a 30in sony hdtv I use for the 360 in my den and my son has a 27 in samsung hdtv in his room.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 11:29:54 PM »

gah, i ALMOST bought a Samsung 42" RP-DLP that just came out.  i was at best buy and they had them next to the Sony i mentioned earlier.  the picture actually looked a bit cleaner, and the price was 1349.00.  they didn't have them in stock, though.  i stopped at another BB and they also had a floor model, but none in stock.  as i was leaving, they offered to have one in by the next day AND to sell it to me for 1250.00.  since this is my birthday and i was basically impulse buying as a present to myself, i passed without the lure of immediate gratification.  i think i'm gonna hold out for a month or two more and see what they go down to.  if they're willing to sell a new model at a discount of 100 bucks in the first month it's out, i'm curious to see what sales are ahead.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2006, 12:58:54 PM »

I paid 850 for mine in January. They're now under 800 and I've seen them on sale for about 750.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2006, 02:09:51 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I paid 850 for mine in January. They're now under 800 and I've seen them on sale for about 750.

the 42" samsung DLP i just mentioned?

EDIT:  made the plunge.  i'm now a proud member of the HDTV community.  I bought the 42" samsung RP-DLP during lunch.  i'll be playing chromehounds in high def tonight, baby.   :wink:

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2006, 10:03:27 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
Quote from: "ATB"

the 42" samsung DLP i just mentioned?

EDIT:  made the plunge.  i'm now a proud member of the HDTV community.  I bought the 42" samsung RP-DLP during lunch.  i'll be playing chromehounds in high def tonight, baby.   :wink:

Congratz welcome to hdtv gaming you'll never go back. smile

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2006, 12:31:15 AM »

it really is a difference of night and day.  i just figured out all my wiring finally and it's really nice.  my old tivo is getting switched over to a dvr from comcast this weekend, though.  standard television isn't cutting it frown

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2006, 12:58:11 AM »

it really is a difference of night and day.  i just figured out all my wiring finally and it's really nice.  my old tivo is getting switched over to a dvr from comcast this weekend, though.  standard television isn't cutting it frown

Calibrating your TV with either Avia or Digital Video Essentials is an absolute *must* for any HDTV owner.
Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:43 AM »

what do you guys think of this:

Sony 42" HDTV (KDF-E42A10)

it's under 1400 bucks at circuit city and best buy.  it's a rear projection LCD, which i understand is completely different technology than an LCD.  however, it's getting pretty good customer reviews.  just curious if anyone's had any experience with it (or something close).

That's my tv and I love it in every way! Probably the best purchase I've ever made.

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2006, 03:50:29 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"

Calibrating your TV with either Avia or Digital Video Essentials is an absolute *must* for any HDTV owner.

i'm still a newbie, so i have to ask:  what are those and how can i get them?   :oops:

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2006, 03:58:28 PM »

i'm still a newbie, so i have to ask:  what are those and how can i get them?   :oops:

Audio and video calibration DVDs.  They have all the test patterns (and more) that you need to properly calibrate your picture and also surround sound.  Both offer very comprehensive walkthroughs on how to do each setting so they are very user friendly.  Most default settings for televisions are horribly inaccurate and, even worse, can have brightness and contrast set so high that they can damage your TV with prolonged use at those levels.  These DVDs (either one will do) will fix that for you.  

You can usually find them floating around in Best Buy or whatnot or you can order them from any online DVD retailer like Amazon or Deep Discount DVD.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »

I have HD capable tvs, but I don't think I'll use them for gaming. A freind of mine has his set up and it relaly looks great, but I just don't want to go through the work of setting it up. I'll just leave the connection to the front AV plugs.

I really am that lazy.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2006, 06:31:57 PM »

.: SMACKS JimmyOrr :.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2006, 06:50:06 PM »

With the AVIA disc, I was surprised to find you need other materials to calibrate it - like a blue filter is required to calibrate color settings at all.  Anyone know where to get a cheap one?  I don't have a lot of blue filters sitting around as you might imagine.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2006, 07:54:35 PM »

Quote from: "kathode"
With the AVIA disc, I was surprised to find you need other materials to calibrate it - like a blue filter is required to calibrate color settings at all.  Anyone know where to get a cheap one?  I don't have a lot of blue filters sitting around as you might imagine.

Blue Filters come inside the case for both Avia and Digital Video Essentials.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2006, 08:19:15 PM »

Uh oh! Looks like someone downloaded the AVIA disc! POLICE! POLICE! Tongue

For those who are interested in calibrating your TV this way, (and I recommend it as well), you should keep in mind that some TVs have multiple picture settings for different inputs, so you need to propogate those settings to all the input modes you use (if your TV is like that).

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2006, 10:25:13 PM »

I just hopped aboard the HDTV train as of this morning.  Bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX60U).  On sale for $2200, with 18 month 0% financing.

I couldn't help it, the reviews were just amazing for this baby.  Check them out:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/146417/pageno/1/sortby/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs
depward

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2006, 10:31:23 PM »

Quote from: "hornysax"
I just hopped aboard the HDTV train as of this morning.  Bought a Panasonic 42" Plasma HDTV (TH-42PX60U).  On sale for $2200, with 18 month 0% financing.

I couldn't help it, the reviews were just amazing for this baby.  Check them out:

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/146417/pageno/1/sortby/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/productDetailReview.do#tabs

Yeah that's hot.  Good buy!  Welcome to the club . . . not that I'm in it or anything.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2006, 10:45:33 PM »

Quote from: "depward"

Yeah that's hot.  Good buy!  Welcome to the club . . . not that I'm in it or anything.

You've long been an HDTV owner from what I've heard!  And thanks for helping me researching and decide upon this one.  smile
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2006, 01:35:28 AM »

Hornysax, I have been pining for the 50" model of that TV. The odd thing is, that I am not in the market for an HD TV right now.... I think... (?)

Anyway, I am sure you will absolutely love it. Panny plasmas are supposed to be the sweet spot for premium picture quality for the price.

-John

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2006, 03:02:18 AM »

hornysax, I have that exact same TV model.  You're gonna love it!

AVIA - didn't download it but I did grab a work copy which I suppose is just as bad  :oops:  I'll have to go out and buy a copy because I still haven't been able to calibrate my color other than by eye, and I definitely don't want to go scrounging through drawers looking for where someone threw that damn filter.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2006, 04:02:53 AM »

Smash Bros. will look unreal on that thing slywink

TheMissingLink on PSN
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2006, 04:40:43 AM »

AVIA - didn't download it but I did grab a work copy which I suppose is just as bad  :oops:  I'll have to go out and buy a copy because I still haven't been able to calibrate my color other than by eye, and I definitely don't want to go scrounging through drawers looking for where someone threw that damn filter.

Looks like you'll only need one eye for this job. slywink

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2006, 03:44:10 AM »

Currently own a Dell 23" LCD TV. It's probably the smallest one around here, but it doesn't matter - I sit like 2 feet away from the screen due to the smallish nature of my room. It also means I can't play any Eyetoy stuff and could pose a problem for Wii games.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2006, 10:37:27 AM »

Quote from: "JCC"
Hornysax, I have been pining for the 50" model of that TV. The odd thing is, that I am not in the market for an HD TV right now.... I think... (?)

Anyway, I am sure you will absolutely love it. Panny plasmas are supposed to be the sweet spot for premium picture quality for the price.

I'll give you some impressions when I actually get my TV and set it up.  Maybe it will push you to make a purchase. smile

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Smash Bros. will look unreal on that thing :wink:

Come up and play!!!
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2006, 05:48:15 PM »

Hornysax,  I also have that Panasonic plasma!  The 42 inch...it is very very nice, you will love it.  The first time I plugged it in made me spend more money smile  As I had to have the comcast box to get digital signal.  Watching movies is great, and gaming is awesome!  Enjoy it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: July 24, 2006, 01:55:15 PM »

Looks like you'll only need one eye for this job. slywink

You need a green one too. RGB, my friend. Arr. BeeGees.

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2006, 02:44:45 PM »

Thanks to the GT Goonsquad for some helpful hints this past sunday.  i was getting horrible color when watching regular tv, but fantastic quality when playing my 360.  while playing chromehounds sunday, i mentioned it and it was suggested that i try a different cable (it's component).  long story short, went to best buy and picked up an HDMI cable, plugged it in, and it looks WAY better.  so, lesson learned...cables count  :wink:

hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2006, 11:15:15 PM »

Thanks to the GT Goonsquad for some helpful hints this past sunday.  i was getting horrible color when watching regular tv, but fantastic quality when playing my 360.  while playing chromehounds sunday, i mentioned it and it was suggested that i try a different cable (it's component).  long story short, went to best buy and picked up an HDMI cable, plugged it in, and it looks WAY better.  so, lesson learned...cables count  :wink:

I also read somewhere on GT that cables count, so I made sure to pickup an expensive Monster HDMI cable from Best Buy instead of cheaping it out at Walmart.  GT saves you time and money!
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 25, 2006, 12:13:01 AM »

I also read somewhere on GT that cables count, so I made sure to pickup an expensive Monster HDMI cable from Best Buy instead of cheaping it out at Walmart.  GT saves you time and money!

Someone at GT led you astray. Unless you have to use an extremely long cable, or are using the cable in an area VERY HIGHLY susceptible to outside interference, buying expensive cables is a waste of money. Even if you do buy a quality cable, Monster is a serious rip off.

-John

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 25, 2006, 12:21:24 AM »

Er, maybe time but certainly not money.  No need to buy Monster just to get decent cables.  You can get good quality cables (including HDMI) much, much cheaper on the web.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 25, 2006, 12:37:20 PM »

Even if you do buy a quality cable, Monster is a serious rip off.

Yes. Retail markup over cost on those things is over 100% at some places.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 25, 2006, 12:55:44 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"

Guess what? Most cables have at least an 80% mark-up. Monster just charges more than some other companies (such as AR). If an Accoustic Research cable is $80, monster will be approx $100. Monster has different classes of cables now to meet the needs of the budget buyer. AR has the same thing although they aren't as obvious.

Monster is in a different league than your generic cable mfgrs. Non-oxidizing, cut-resistant cables aren't cheap, no matter who you go with. Thing is, most people figure "hey! I'll just use these shoe-string RCA cables that came with my VCR in 1987 to connect my component video! I are so smart, yumm!"

Fact is, monster, like any premium cable mfgr, has a higher caliber product. If you don't want to pay for the premium, then don't. Saying they're a rip-off isn't a fair statement. They DO charge for having their name product, but that isn't different than any other company.

If you go with a "budget cable" chances are that company also has a premium line as well (likely not under the same name much like appliance mfgrs and car mfgrs), and they too will be charging premiums for it.

When it comes to straight cable, AR and Monster are comparable; I have both. I don't use the "free outta da box" cables; I pay a premium for the better products so why would I connect them with bad cabling?

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 25, 2006, 02:37:15 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"

Guess what? Most cables have at least an 80% mark-up. Monster just charges more than some other companies (such as AR). If an Accoustic Research cable is $80, monster will be approx $100. Monster has different classes of cables now to meet the needs of the budget buyer. AR has the same thing although they aren't as obvious.

My Acoustic Research shielded component cables were $20 at an online store. At Best Buy the exact same set was $60. Monster's equivalent cables were $90.

if you're going to buy better cables, look for deals online.

Retail markup

Emphasis mine.

You can get perfectly good high quality cables online for decent money if you spend some time looking.

I will forever stand in the camp that says Monster Cables are a rip-off unless you get them for cost somewhere. Yes, they're nice high quality cables. They're also totally not worth their cost when there are other companies offering cables just as nice for less money.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 25, 2006, 09:31:58 PM »

Monster Cables are a rip-off.  

Monster HDMI cable from Circuit City= $100+
Non-branded HDMI from monoprice.com= $20 (and that's the expensive version)

You will not be able to tell the difference.  I'm sure Monster cables are actually quality products and that all the claims for super-ferrous-oxidized-wonderment that the package makes are in fact true.  The proof is in the pudding however, and there is no difference in the end result for those two cables I posted above.  I used them both and there's no visual difference.

http://www.monoprice.com
Thanks to jblank for showing me the error of my ways and saving me well over $100 on my cables.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2006, 10:58:17 PM »

on a digital signal I'd have to agree. On analog, however (for instance speaker cabling) it is more important to have a better cable.

Oh, and who says I pay retail? biggrin

The reason I'm SURE of the 80%+ retail markup on ANY cable is cuz a buddy of mine works for visions... If I can't find the cable I want at the right price online (shipping, time restraints, yadda yadda) I'll pop in over there and pick some up for approx 50% discount. (and that's still paying cost+10%)

I got the Xbox1 monster cable (component w. optical cable) for 35USD. They were selling (for the pair) at approx 85USD.

Buying any name-brand product can be a ripoff, depending on what the competitors have to offer.

Seriously, do NOT use the ones that came with the VCR as your Component set though. I'll smack you myself. :lol:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: