http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 12:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do you own an HDTV and do you use it for gaming?  (Voting closed: July 18, 2006, 04:02:28 PM)
Yes, I currently own but don't or won't use it for gaming - 0 (0%)
Yes, I currently own and I will or currently use it for gaming - 51 (73.9%)
No, but I will by the end of the year and I'll use it for gaming - 7 (10.1%)
No, but I will by the end of the year but I won't use it for gaming - 0 (0%)
I have no intention and/or wherewithal to own an HD set this year - 11 (15.9%)
Total Voters: 69

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HDTV for gaming..  (Read 5687 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: July 18, 2006, 04:02:28 PM »

Reference this article: http://nintendo.about.com/library/bluray/blbluraypen2.htm

If you flip through the article, you'll find a statement that by the end of 2006, roughly 1/3 of gamers will have HD sets (or more importantly 2/3rds of gamers will not own one).  I'm wondering how true that really is.  While this poll isn't scientific by any means....I thought it could be used as a checkpoint at least.

The article itself is roughly stating that Sony is banking on a technology that nobody owns or will own "en-masse" during the PS3 lifetime.

- shaggy

P.S. Mods...I hope this is the correct forum.  It does seem to be related to Console gaming.

Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 04:25:43 PM »

I have a early generation HDTV.  Meaning my TV displays at 1080i  and while some doesn't consider 1080i as good high def I simply love my 360 on my TV.  Graphics look amazing on it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 04:27:53 PM »

702p and 1080i are HD compliant. It doesn't matter how one camp or the other bitches. They both have their strong points. 1080p is "new" and not part of the HD specification required for HD compliance.

It requires twice the data throughput.(hence the two HDMI connections)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 04:41:17 PM »

I do not own an HD TV.  Due to my TV only being 3 years old, it will be anywhere between 7 and 12 years before I replace it, unless it for some reason dies, but my previous TV lasted 13 years, no reason this one can't.  Until this TV dies I will not be purchasing a new TV.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 04:45:52 PM »

Gaming was the main reason I bought my first HDTV set.  I currently have a 50" 720p LCD FP, which is going to have to last a long time smile

But the article is flawed.  The "average" price of an HDTV may be $1000, but that's due to the uber-expensive sets that go for several thousand.  You can get a decent HD set for as little as $500 now, and the price is only going to come down.  Now 1080p, yeah, it's still a long ways off from widestream acceptance.  But the standard 720p/1080i is gaining momentum, and quickly.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:53:54 PM »

I think the real question Nintendo should be asking is how many gamers will have an HDTV by 2011.  It will be greater than 2/3 by then, for sure.

Personally, I don't care about playing DVDs or HD DVDs (or Blahrays) on my console.  I'll get a dedicated machine for that.  But since I have an HDTV, I'd like my games to take advantage of them.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 05:16:51 PM »

are you folks with HDTV using large screen versions, for the most part?  what's the average screen size for most users?

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Zero

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 05:17:37 PM »

Hmm...I think the vote here is a great idea, but I think its skewed a bit.  Most of us in this forum tend of go for the flash...so would have an HDTV just for gaming smile  But for me...although I love my plasma, the best part of it is watching a movie on it - not gaming.  That said...yes gaming on HDTV is DA BOMB.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 05:47:36 PM »

Quote from: "hepcat"
are you folks with HDTV using large screen versions, for the most part?  what's the average screen size for most users?

I'd guess that most who have room for them have the big screens. My family is very big screen friendly... like 57 inches of screen friendly.  smile

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 06:14:20 PM »

I believe mine is 52", but I'm pining for larger.  I can see myself upgrading within a year.

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
It requires twice the data throughput.(hence the two HDMI connections)

Uh... what? Newer TVs can accept 1080p over an HDMI cable.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2006, 06:39:13 PM »

I have a 46" DLP.  It was the largest I could get for the space I had and still have room for the surround speaker where I wanted it w/o making changes to the wall.  

- shaggy

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2006, 06:53:00 PM »

My TV is 29" I believe, not widescreen.  No surround sound, just TV speakers.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2006, 07:08:07 PM »

I have a 42 inch plasma.  Since I've had a 23 inch TV for the last five years or so, and since I live in a studio apartment where my couch is only like 7 or 8 feet from my TV, it feels like I'm in a movie theater when I watch it smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2006, 07:54:23 PM »

I have a 27" HD set but I live in a small studio apartment.  My previous set was only 21", so it's plenty big for me.

We sell TV's where I work and there's no question that HD sets are what sells.  The only people buying non-HD TV's now are those on a very tight budget or who are looking for a secondary, smaller TV.  Prices are also dropping quickly.  I bought my TV four months ago and at the time the 30" model was $950 on sale.  I'm now seeing it on sale for $750.

Within a few years over 50% of gaming TV's will be HD.  That may not really affect Wii sales, but for a minimal increase in production costs to support an HDTV out Nintendo could have future proofed the system and been covered if their estimates are wrong.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2006, 08:00:56 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
I have a 27" HD set but I live in a small studio apartment.  My previous set was only 21", so it's plenty big for me.

We sell TV's where I work and there's no question that HD sets are what sells.  The only people buying non-HD TV's now are those on a very tight budget or who are looking for a secondary, smaller TV.  Prices are also dropping quickly.  I bought my TV four months ago and at the time the 30" model was $950 on sale.  I'm now seeing it on sale for $750.

Within a few years over 50% of gaming TV's will be HD.  That may not really affect Wii sales, but for a minimal increase in production costs to support an HDTV out Nintendo could have future proofed the system and been covered if their estimates are wrong.

I paid $300 for my TV and my wife nearly killed me.  I can't imagine spending $750, or worse yet over $1k for a new TV.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2006, 08:08:57 PM »

Are you asking how many inches represent my hardware? slywink

54 in total; I expect this number to jump in about a year.

(30" sony hd crt set + 24" LCD Dell 2405FPW monitor )

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2006, 08:24:58 PM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
Reference this article: http://nintendo.about.com/library/bluray/blbluraypen2.htm

If you flip through the article, you'll find a statement that by the end of 2006, roughly 1/3 of gamers will have HD sets (or more importantly 2/3rds of gamers will not own one).  I'm wondering how true that really is.  While this poll isn't scientific by any means....I thought it could be used as a checkpoint at least.

The article itself is roughly stating that Sony is banking on a technology that nobody owns or will own "en-masse" during the PS3 lifetime.

- shaggy

P.S. Mods...I hope this is the correct forum.  It does seem to be related to Console gaming.

I think around these parts we'll see that HD gaming is a much higher percentage.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2006, 08:48:34 PM »

I have two HDTVs:

One 55" Mits which is in the living room and is strictly for viewing TV and movies.  

Then, I have a 32" Panasonic HDTV in my office (er, "playroom" really) which has all of my consoles hooked to it.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

I'm running a 28" widescreen LCD HDTV, fully HD compliant (runs 480i, 480p, 720p, and 1080i).  I run everything I can in 720p as that looks the best to me.

I'm actually more anal about games not supporting widescreen than I am about them not supporting 720p/1080i.  slywink

However, I've been very happy with my Cube on the tv, even though most games run in 4:3 and not all support 480p (I don't think any support higher resolutions).

The 360 on this sucker is phenomenal.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 10:34:57 PM »

The 360 drove me to buy a HDTV as I found it hard to read the text on my 27" Sony when playing Oblivion.  I'd have to physically get up and walk close to the TV to read the writing on the screen.  (The couch is 15 feet from the TV).

So you know that wasn't going to last long.

We measured the wall, measured the room, and went with a 50" Panasonic plasma, which is just perfect.  I have a 5.1 Polk Audio system, but want to upgrade it with a receiver that will upscale my S-video / component inputs, and also takes multiple HDMI inputs.  This is currently in the crosshairs.  Once we save up enough for the next big purchase.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 12:04:17 AM »

On my next pay check this friday I'm picking up this 40" LCD HDTV:
http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail

I can only imagine what my 360 is going to look like going to this from an old standard TV.

With all broadcasts being mandated to be in HD by 2009 and now the government requiring any TV 26" or bigger having to be HD-Ready (or actually have the ATSC tuner built-in rather) it seems like there won't be much of a choice on an old standard TV or HDTV, because we'll all be getting HDTV's.

Then, I have a 32" Panasonic HDTV in my office

That's what I originally wanted, a Panasonic LCD because they've hooked me with their "Artificial Intelligence" feature, how do you like it?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:12:22 AM »

32' Sony Bravia for my bedroom, its a beaut!

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 02:16:58 AM »

When we moved to NC, the room we wanted to place the tv in in the new house couldn't fit our GIGANTIC CRT Magnavox 32 inch so we left it behind.

We bought the 30 inch Samsung slimfit widescreen with built in HD tuner....couldn't be happier.  Although I won't pay for digital cable/satellite, I don't have to because our omni-directional antenna picks up HD signals fine and it was only 70.00 at radio shack.

I don't have any gaming rigs that play in Hi def, but might in the future...though the Wii is my first pick of next gen console.  Graphics just aren't that big of a seller for me.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 02:44:15 AM »

I didnt read the article.  But if 33% of gamers have an HDTV by the end of 2006, then almost 100% will have them by the time the PS3 reaches the end of its lifetime.  HDTVs outsell non-HDTVs like 4 to 1 now and that ratio is only going to get more lopsided.

Not supporting HDTV is the mistake.

olaf
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 04:56:56 AM »

Holy man 36 people own HDTV's.

Anyone want to lend me a few thousand bucks? I have been eyeing up a HD Plasma 42" for a while.

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 05:21:41 AM »

Quote from: "Darren8r"

Anyone want to lend me a few thousand bucks? I have been eyeing up a HD Plasma 42" for a while.

Look at good 1080p DLPs instead.  smile

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 10:17:33 AM »

Has anyone considered that Nintendo may be catering toward Japanese trends instead of American ones?  Is HDTV prevalent in Japan?  Nintendo always releases its products in Japan first--I would guess they would follow Japanese market trends before they follow ours.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 01:12:23 PM »

My HDTV cost me under 400 bucks.  It's also a raelly low-end model that was on clearance.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 01:46:28 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"

Look at good 1080p DLPs instead.  smile

ya know, i thought about that too, but they all seem so dark.  i've looked at about 8 of them (samsung, toshiba, etc.) and it seems like the moment any light is introduced into the room, the screen becomes so dark as to be almost unwatchable (for me, that is).  are they releasing newer models with better pictures now?

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 02:24:10 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
With all broadcasts being mandated to be in HD

There is no such mandate. The actual mandate is that all broadcast stations be broadcasting digitally. Digital broadcasting doesn't mean everything is in HD. This mandate will have no effect on cable stations. I am sure after 2009 more and more stations will be moving to HD, but the mandate is for something different. Oh, and don't be shocked if the date gets moved again. There have been other "final" dates as well....

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 02:41:21 PM »

what do you guys think of this:

Sony 42" HDTV (KDF-E42A10)

it's under 1400 bucks at circuit city and best buy.  it's a rear projection LCD, which i understand is completely different technology than an LCD.  however, it's getting pretty good customer reviews.  just curious if anyone's had any experience with it (or something close).

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 03:08:03 PM »

I've got the 50" version of that model, and it's great... the only complaint I have is that the fan that cools the projection bulb is a bit loud.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 05:44:10 PM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
That's what I originally wanted, a Panasonic LCD because they've hooked me with their "Artificial Intelligence" feature, how do you like it?

Mine is a CRT vice LCD since size and weight weren't a concern so unfortunately I can't be of any help there.  Otherwise, I'm very happy with the Panny and don't really have any complaints.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 06:09:16 PM »

is the difference between 720p and 1080i/p very noticeable for gaming and watching television from a distance of about 5 feet?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 06:39:51 PM »

what do you guys think of this:

Sony 42" HDTV (KDF-E42A10)

I can't comment on that specific tv, but a couple of my coworkers have older Sony 42" and 50" RP-LCDs and love them. The only tech I am down on is the RP-CRTs, and that may be because i have a very cheap RCA model myself that my girlfriend was given for X-mas. I have looked at some of the better RP-LCDs lately and think they look very nice.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 06:44:16 PM »

It's a rear projection LCD, which i understand is completely different technology than an LCD.  however, it's getting pretty good customer reviews.  just curious if anyone's had any experience with it (or something close).

Do you feel like spending ~300 every 2-3 years for a new bulb?

Stay away from DLPs and RP-LCDs. Let that "technology" die with it's spiritual motherland... the Lite-Brite.  :evil:

hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 07:10:42 PM »

It's a rear projection LCD, which i understand is completely different technology than an LCD.  however, it's getting pretty good customer reviews.  just curious if anyone's had any experience with it (or something close).

Stay away from DLPs and RP-LCDs. Let that "technology" die with it's spiritual motherland... the Lite-Brite.  :evil:

i was under the assumption that this problem existed for pretty much ANY HDTV (lcd, plasma, etc.).  i thought you had to eventually replace a bulb of some type on all of them.

Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 09:14:44 PM »

Might own one when I graduate next year, but that's it.  Finances are tight-ish right now, but seeing as I currently don't own a TV of my own, at some point I'll cave.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 09:38:48 PM »

While that is a point to consider, to get a similar size/resolution with LCD or Plasma, up front it's going to run you a lot more than having to replace a $300 bulb every few years.  My Sony 50A10 LCoS set can be found for $1200 - the cheapest 50" LCD or Plasma that will display true HD is $2000, at least.  The difference will buy quite a few bulbs smile
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: