http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 09:35:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HAWX demo on XBL tomorrow Feb 11th  (Read 2669 times)
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:59 PM »

For anyone interested in this game the demo comes out tomorrow. Here is the link:

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/09/hawx-demo-barrel-rolls-onto-xbox-live-feb-11/

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »

I haven't been following this one- is there anything that sets it apart from the Ace Combat series?

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:44:42 PM »

I guess they have been saying it's suppose to be more on the realistic side but there are options to make it a bit more arcade. Also have been hearing that in some parts it follows along side the GRAW 2 storyline and you actually will do missions with the Ghost squad from that series. A little tie in I guess. From the trailers I have watched and previews I am a interested in this one.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 03:48:02 PM »

Or you could link it to our siteslywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 03:52:38 PM »

Oops, didn't see that sorry.

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 03:55:27 PM »

Quote from: Vindel on February 10, 2009, 03:52:38 PM

Oops, didn't see that sorry.

No worries, just giving you a hard time.  smile

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »

Wonder if this game will be worth getting a joystick for the PS3. I've been longing for a good, fun flight sim for a long time.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 04:59:08 PM »

Hadn't even hear of this and now I'm intrigued. drool

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 08:46:14 PM »

The video looks great, looks like a move involved Ace Combat.

Dedicated Gamer - XBL Profile DreamsurferSWE
XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 03:18:17 PM »

i downloaded this.this morning

good demo,but as usual of late some things bugged the hell out of me

you dont get cockpit view...you get from behind the plane view,which is okay..but i would of liked the option to see from the cockpit,who wouldnt?

and then a little into the first training mission,it tells you to turn off the automatic assistance(which behind the plane look,apparently is)..it then goes quite far away from your plane,look at it sideways on,and ..you have to control the plane that way,avoiding missiles,shooting down drones/enemy planes...it really did take a long time for me to even close to getting used to(actually i f**king hated that view.it was 'nearly' a side scrolling space shoot em up)

the second mission,(the proper mission)is you have to stop an attack on Rio de Janeiro...,you are accompanined by a lot of other planes...but again,i think it expects you to go into this 'assistance off' mode everytime someone fires at you ...even on the normal view i was still twisiting my head round myself trying to figure out if i was the right way up.....eventually,while trying to level my plane with anotehr so my automatic targetting set in,i crashed into a building....i didnt bother loading again

Ace Combat 6..which i guess this is always gonna get compared to,was more fun and a lot easier to get into IMO.

i am sure Tom Clancy fans will disagree

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »

I have read and seen trailers of a cockpit view. Hmmm wonder how you get it. Well in any case here is a video of it:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/45189.html

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Roscoe
Gaming Trend Reader

Palin-Fey 2008!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »

I downloaded and played the demo. Very disappointed. It's a very pretty arcade shooter. Controls are weird, combat is mindless, there are no tactics worth considering, just fly and shoot. Pass.

XBL gamertag: jztemple
Oscuros
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 10:42:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 11, 2009, 03:18:17 PM

i downloaded this.this morning

good demo,but as usual of late some things bugged the hell out of me

you dont get cockpit view...you get from behind the plane view,which is okay..but i would of liked the option to see from the cockpit,who wouldnt?

and then a little into the first training mission,it tells you to turn off the automatic assistance(which behind the plane look,apparently is)..it then goes quite far away from your plane,look at it sideways on,and ..you have to control the plane that way,avoiding missiles,shooting down drones/enemy planes...it really did take a long time for me to even close to getting used to(actually i f**king hated that view.it was 'nearly' a side scrolling space shoot em up)

the second mission,(the proper mission)is you have to stop an attack on Rio de Janeiro...,you are accompanined by a lot of other planes...but again,i think it expects you to go into this 'assistance off' mode everytime someone fires at you ...even on the normal view i was still twisiting my head round myself trying to figure out if i was the right way up.....eventually,while trying to level my plane with anotehr so my automatic targetting set in,i crashed into a building....i didnt bother loading again

Ace Combat 6..which i guess this is always gonna get compared to,was more fun and a lot easier to get into IMO.

i am sure Tom Clancy fans will disagree

I did find that you can get a cockpit view in the options menu. You can only use it when in assistance mode though. I'm having the same issues with the gameplay......I like to fly from inside the plane.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »

One has to remember that this is a story driven action game and not really a IL2 wannabe.
IL2 is coming for consoles anway for the hardcore flightsimmers slywink.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
tripwire
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 11, 2009, 10:47:28 PM

One has to remember that this is a story driven action game and not really a IL2 wannabe.

IL2  drool
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 10:58:34 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 11, 2009, 10:47:28 PM

Wait. What? Where??
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »

At your service Sir smile

http://www.gamingexcellence.com/xbox360/games/1276/p20080626.shtml

There is a movie trailer also floating around.'

Should be great on LIVE, considering how great multiplayer worked with the PC version.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 11:41:17 PM »

yup,i am in for that IL2 thing,WWII flighter will be great,as long as its better than Blazing Angels,couldnt get into that at all

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2009, 05:18:25 AM »

Quote from: Roscoe on February 11, 2009, 08:14:41 PM

I downloaded and played the demo. Very disappointed. It's a very pretty arcade shooter. Controls are weird, combat is mindless, there are no tactics worth considering, just fly and shoot. Pass.

Totally agree. Even though games like Ghost Recon and the R6 series arn't ultra hardcore sims they do try and be more than just a mindless run-gun DOOM shooter, so I have no idea what this game is doing as a "Tom Clancy" title. Its a 100% arcade shooter. I don't expect them to try and do a hardcore Falcon 4 like sim but this is just bleh to me...Pass.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2009, 10:14:03 AM »

Well Afterburner was like this and it is one of the best arcade games ever so
if you approach it with that mindset you are clear smile.

The graphics were wonderful and much better than AC6 in my opinion, not release price good but good enough
for lower price.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2009, 01:47:25 PM »

You can also switch to cockpit view in-game by clicking on the right thumb stick, BTW.  It doesn't seem to work in non-assisted mode still, though.

I liked the demo, personally, but I usually light my flying more arcadey.

I did love buzzing by the Jesus statue in Rio.

I will wait for reviews, because I find that I get amped up for games like this and never finish them (AC6 was an example).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 07:36:45 PM »

wth is the logic in not letting me turn off assistance and stay in-cockpit view?  That alone is a no-buy for me.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 11:21:39 PM »

This is only in the training area. Avoid the training area and you will have all that.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 05:46:04 PM »

I tried the training mission and I've got to say it's the worst camera I've ever experienced in a flight game; simulation or arcade. I can't fathom how the developers thought providing a demo that forces you into a 3rd person view without a trailing, fixed camera was a good idea. I mean WTF, it felt like I was trying to fly and steer an out of control toy rocket!
I haven't tried the mplay yet, but is it true that the the cockpit view is only available in the relaxed realism mode?
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 03:52:31 AM »

I was let down by the demo as well...

The 'no assistance' view was ridiculous... it was like 'even more assistance!' mode.  What the fuckin' hell.

I was expecting it to be like AC6, but more realistic... it felt less realistic.

I dunno... I might give it a rent.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:38 PM »

Skip the training mission and go straight to the other misson. That way
you have a better experience.

There is a huge number of airplane types, that in my book is a good reason to get it.
To repeat, you need to choose the other mission not the training mission. This mission enables all kinds of views.

Btw. Multiplayer is really fun.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 12:36:27 PM by marcusjm » Logged

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 07:33:51 AM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 14, 2009, 12:17:38 PM

Skip the training mission and go straight to the other misson. That way
you have a better experience.

I took your advice and skipped the training mission and I did find it a much better experience, to the extent that I'm considering the possibility now of getting the game when it releases. It's still quite arcadish even with realism maxed out, but being in the cockpit view certainly makes for a much immersive experience. I also think it's a flight game that my son could handle playing.

There is a huge number of airplane types, that in my book is a good reason to get it.

No kidding about the huge variety of planes, the list at the ubisoft site is staggering; by far the largest survey I've seen in any flight game to date. What really surprised me is the number of Viet Nam era jets that are there. Some of them from that era are the last variants with the modern avionic & weapon upgrades. Still to see the F-4G AdvancedWildWeasel, F-5A Freedom Fighter, A-6A Intruder, A-7B Corsair II and the Mig-21 as flyable aircraft wasn't what I was expecting. The website also mentions that user created content would be supported. This game is definitely a brighter blip on my radar now.

Here's the list from the Ubisoft site:

Planes that will be available in-game:

F-4G AdvancedWildWeasel
F-5A Freedom Fighter
EF-111A RAVEN
F-15C Eagle
F-5E Tiger II
F-117 NIGHTHAWK
F-15E StrikeEagle
A-6A Intruder
Mig-21 Fishbed
F-15 Active
EA-6B Prowler
Mig-25 Foxbat
FA-18C Hornet
A-7B Corsair II
Mig-29 Fulcrum
FA-18 RC
F-14A Tomcat
Mig-33 SuperFulcrum
FA-18E SuperHornet
F-14B Bombcat
Su-25 Frogfoot
AV-8B Harrier II
F-14D SuperTomcat
Su-32 FN
MIRAGE F1
YF-17 Cobra
Su-34 Fullback
MIRAGE IV P
F-20 Tigershark
Su-27 Flanker
MIRAGE III
YF-23 Black Widow II
Su-35 SuperFlanker
MIRAGE 5
X-29
Su-37 Terminator
MIRAGE 2000 C
A-10A Thunderbolt II
Su-47 Berkut
MIRAGE 2000-5
F-16 FIGHTING FALCON
F-2
RAFALE C
YF-12A
JAGUAR
F-22 RAPTOR
Saab-39 Gripen
F-35 LIGHTNING II
Eurofighter Typhoon

marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 11:24:51 AM »

That is impressive. Another thing that in my book makes this cool, is that you are part of a larger military campaign with events going on at ground level. Similar to Falcon 3 but more scripted and with less open ended game play.

I think UBI soft should make better demos, they failed had with the End War demo as well.

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 09:57:54 PM »

I tried the demo. the tutorial level is ridiculous. I will never use the "no assistance mode" or whatever they are calling it. But the 2nd mission was fun. I'll rent it probably.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:03 PM »

Well...after putting more stick control pad time into this game I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to pass on it. The assistance-off mode is so fundamentally flawed and the other modes are so damn easy that after a few hours of play I felt like I was playing Air Quake. After trying the cockpit mode I intially liked it, but it's ended up being one of the biggest disappointments for me in some time as the premise of the game is very promising. The logic that the Romanian dev studio is arguing in their justification of the assistance-off mode is so far from correct and has been proven otherwise by so many other previous flight games -even arcadish ones- that it's just absurd. I'm personally only willing to go so far in suspending disbelief in a flight game, and this game crosses the line way too many times. The initial post in this thread I've linked below from the Ubisoft HAWX forum says it all IMO.

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3981007546/m/4691011637

The guy is obvious a serious flightsim fan -heck he even has an aviation degree- but if you read through his lengthy post you'll see he was willing to cut this game a lot of slack and IMO his points are very valid. I now have concerns that this game is going to damage the chances for other flight games on consoles.
marcusjm

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »

Is this the same studio that made Silent Hunter III/IV?

XFire tag - dreamsurfer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 09:59:11 PM »

Quote from: marcusjm on February 26, 2009, 08:33:01 PM

Is this the same studio that made Silent Hunter III/IV?

Nope I'm fairly certain they aren't the same. From what I understand, previous to HAWX the dev team has only sub contracted development on other games, some of which were flight sims. I don't have sound confirmation on that though, but based on the mistakes they made with the assistance-off mode I wouldn't be surprised. Some of their design decisions certainly make it look like they aren't very knowledgeable of the flight game genre; at least not knowledgeable enough to avoid mistakes made in the past.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »

The guy who posted the long rant does make some good points. The bizarre made up altitude scale on the HUD and the speed indicator is beyond puzzling. It's like they're there for nothing more than window dressing.

To me, the benchmark game in the genre is Ace Combat. If they can't even at least equal that, then it's bound to fail.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 10:20:01 PM by Jimmy the Fish » Logged
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 10:36:16 PM »

Quote from: Jimmy the Fish on February 26, 2009, 10:17:36 PM

The guy who posted the long rant does make some good points. The bizarre made up altitude scale on the HUD and the speed indicator is beyond puzzling. It's like they're there for nothing more than window dressing.

To me, the benchmark game in the genre is Ace Combat. If they can't even at least equal that, then it's bound to fail.

For me personally, even the Ace Combat 6 demo left me dry. It really lost me right around when a radio voice asks if you have a wingman as you're about to enter combat, which you don't, and then announces they'll just cruise on over because you're all alone; I mean WTF? Maybe I want a bit too much realism, but that seemed about as realistic as GW Bush scoring high on an IQ test.  As well, correct me if I'm wrong, AC6 doesn't have cockpit views? At least I couldn't seem to find one in the demo. I will say it was a very good looking demo, but so is the HAWX demo. Knowing that AC6 is considered a more realistic and superior flight game, tells me how much I'm Out on HAWX. Is it just too unreasonable to ask for something a bit more realistic?
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »

I'll check this out tonight on PSN, but i'm really bummed by what i've been reading. I would love nothing more than a hot looking flight sim that's fun to play on my big screen system. Looks like we need to wait longer.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »

Well at least for me, I know that Ace Combat makes no overtures towards being a serious flight sim. The fact that you have an arsenal of 100+ missiles pretty much makes that obvious. Realism has never been of prime importance with console flight combat games. It's all about the rush of air to air and air to ground combat, which AC does better than any other game in the genre. That being said, there are still some pretty basic features that should at least be a given in any console air combat game. It sounds like HAWX doesn't even achieve that.

I don't know. I am really on the fence with this game. The graphics looks great, but there are so many annoying things about it and the completely bizarre assistance mode makes it hard to like the game. It's gone from being a must have to a wait and see for me.
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »

I'm out.  Getting out-turned by drones, having my aircraft climb while the flight path indicator is below the horizon line, and the sheer arcadey-ness of it means I wouldn't be able to enjoy it. 

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
kratz

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2009, 05:48:19 PM »

I enjoyed AC6 enormously.  This is no AC6.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:53 PM »

Looks like I'm going to have to try one of the games in the Ace Combat series. That series has obviously impressed many people here and on other web sites too. As I stated above, I wasn't impressed with the AC6 demo, but it was afterall just a demo.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2009, 02:35:19 PM »

I haven't tried the demo, but this intrigues me.

Teamxbox seemed to like it, they gave it an 8.4.

Probably a rental.

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: