http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 07:10:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you had multiple 360 failures? Are you articulate?  (Read 1616 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2007, 04:14:07 PM »

Matthew Sakey (aka Steerpike at the Four Fat Chicks forums and writer of the excellent Culture Clash columns) is writing an article for The Escapist on 360 failures.  Have you had multiple 360 failures and would you be willing to put your tale of woe into words for him?

Here's the thread at FFC which contains his email address.  I know some of us have had multiple failures so I'm sure he'd appreciate your information.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 05:42:48 PM »

I sent him an email.. Here it is.

I have had a horrible run with my 360’s I am currently up to my 6th (which I am still waiting for from Microsoft). They are now beginning to question my “environment” rather than a gross run of bad luck.  My 360’s have all been well ventilated on a dedicated circuit within my house. I had this circuit run to the area where I keep my 360/PS3 to ensure that it isn’t taking surges from other devices within my home. I have kept a meter on the line and it outputs a clean 120v, and I never watch DVD’s on the machine due to the fragility and I never leave the machine paused and running. I have even gone so far as to elevate the power supply on a homemade stilts and

First 360

This was my launch box which unbeknownst to me was an issue right out of the box. The machine operated fine, but it would not startup via the controller. I didn’t realize that this was a problem until I went to a friend’s house turned his on via his remote and I could not. No matter what I did this machine would not start via the remote. Microsoft sent me a coffin and over-nighted one back to me. It was a 5 day turnaround time and it was a wonderful experience.

Second 360

This machine was a reconditioned unit and it showed. It was prone to RANDOM lock-ups and it drove me crazy! I called Microsoft. They were nice enough, and said they will send me another unit as this is a heat issue. But it will take a little longer, all told not bad as it took about 10 days until my next one arrived.

Third 360

Third time is a charm I thought. NOT. This machine had a malfunctioning tray after about a month or so. Eventually the drive stopped opening all together. I had to stick a paper clip in there to get my game out. Wait for my coffin. This time it took longer yet, about three weeks.

Fourth 360

This was a quickie, this unit made noise out of the box.  It was like a belt sander. This MAY have been damaged in shipping….. Hmmm.

Fifth 360

Another unit all seemed well.  I bought a used copy of NEED FOR SPEED to inaugurate my new box. I noticed some graphic corruption while playing it, I thought the disc had a few minor scuffs and didn’t think to much of it. Until I played another game and it had a similar problem.  I quit the game and the XBL desktop was corrupt. Off we go. Another coffin, A FREE GAME THIS TIME for my troubles. They send me a copy of Project Gotham, I had it already, but it was a nice gesture. Turn around time was about three weeks.

Sixth 360

If you are still reading this, you may notice that I have NEVER had the dreaded RROD. Well, it finally struck my FIFTH one. I came home from a long trip and wanted to sit down and play my 360. RROD. The tension in the room was palatable, I went crazy. This is now way too much. I call Microsoft and I get “BOB” someone of Middle Eastern decent reading to me from a cue card.

“Sir, make sure you have everything plugged in” and the drivel went on and on and he would not listen to me that it’s KAPPUT NOT-FUNCTIONING, DEAD, UNLIVING  I painfully went through the motions and he proclaims in a congratulatory manor that  they will repair my unit.

At this point it turned dark.

I said ok, please understand this is the coming holiday season, and I just got Halo3 and my kids are really looking forward to it, so, what is the turnaround time?

“6-8 Weeks”

Now, this will take me to about Christmas, as you can imagine, I explained as eloquently as I could that this is NOT ACCEPTABLE TO ME. Please forward me to someone who finds it reprehensible and unacceptable that Microsoft has failed a customer 5 times. He refuses to forward me to his supervisor. After slicing though his level one tech wit with my rapier percission he ran out of answers. Among his revelations to me were:

“Sir, we have never “expedited” shipping and we never either shipped units one day or second day air”. Clearly I have more experience in this call center than he had.

“Sir, There is no reason to make you an exception in your case. There are tons of cases just like yours.” This was insane; it was an admission that most people are having a similar situation to mine. I averred so you are admitting to me at this time that it is common for people to have 5-6 failures?

“Sir, I cannot say how much you played your XBOX because, we respect your privacy and we don’t track how many hours you have it on” Incredulous, At this point he had it with me, I said.. Slow down, what you are saying is that since I PLAY my 360 it will fail? Are you implying that every 360 will eventually fail by design? He was flummoxed; at this point I got his supervisor. This is going to work out now…

His supervisor gets on the line, and unbelievably, he is a bigger ass than his direct report. He sounded all of 24 and went on and said there is nothing I can do. You should have just listened to the first call center representative 6-8 weeks. I was livid. I told him I wanted his supervisor, I am not a happy consumer, he said that he is the last line of defense.  I was beaten, I was on the phone for 30 minutes at this point. He is sending me a coffin. It will take about 2 weeks.

REDEMPTION?: I get a call from a very nice guy from Microsoft who says he is going to expedite my 360 and ensure that this will not happen again. This is a  welcomed change. He was nice, apologetic and said he will handle my problem personally and will see it through every stage. He has been nice, he sent me the coffin within 2-3 days and he is promising me a turnaround time of about 3 weeks. And he is offering me a free game for my trauma. He was nice, but he towed the company line in my whining about my experience. I’m still waiting.

Hoping and waiting , I still have no faith that this will be my last go around. The theory that it is my environment would be sound if I had similar failures on every machine. But not all of this was related to heat issues.    –Say a novena for me.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 08:47:46 PM »

Sounds like you should have stuck with the 1st one and turned it on with the main switch.  icon_wink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 08, 2007, 08:47:46 PM

Sounds like you should have stuck with the 1st one and turned it on with the main switch.  icon_wink

Oof.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 12:39:40 AM »

I continue to be fine on my first that was purchased in January 2006  icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 12:54:50 AM »

Quote from: Azhag on November 09, 2007, 12:39:40 AM

I continue to be fine on my first that was purchased in January 2006  icon_biggrin

DO NOT TEMPT FATE!!!!!  icon_wink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
RLMullen
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 01:57:45 AM »

Well that was an incredibly unwise thing to say right here at the holidays... in the middle of the holiday release season... one of the best holiday release seasons in recent memory.   ninja
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:59:03 PM »

Quote from: RLMullen on November 09, 2007, 01:57:45 AM

Well that was an incredibly unwise thing to say right here at the holidays... in the middle of the holiday release season... one of the best holiday release seasons in recent memory.   ninja

Agreed. It'll break the day before you go purchase Mass Effect or something now. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:36 PM »

Man I'm in the middle of my first(and god I hope last) 360 repair process and I cringe when reading that.

Just pray it gets fixed so I never have to deal with listening to "Max" ever again.  icon_confused
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:40:49 PM »

My 360 locked up twice in the last couple of days.  I have a sinking feeling...

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 03:50:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 09, 2007, 05:40:49 PM

My 360 locked up twice in the last couple of days.  I have a sinking feeling...

And I'm sunk.  Two days after I posted, right at the start of the biggest release week of the year.  Red Rings of Death.

Wish me luck with customer service.

msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 01:45:33 AM »

These threads piss me off.   I can't believe there hasn't been a successful and major class action lawsuit against Microsoft for putting out a flawed product.

My dang PS3 got struck by lightening -- something I suggested might have been the cause on the phone with the support guy -- and they sent me a box that was overnight back to them and within 5 days I had a BRAND NEW PS3.   Not refurbished.   Not repaired.    Brand new.   Sony might be arrogant, losing the console war this round, etc etc... but they dang sure do better customer service than M$.
Andrew Wonser

A porcupine quilt made of porcupine quills.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 01:59:09 AM »

The problem with companies or products in general is that with every good story, you have a bad one.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 02:15:57 AM »

Yeah, but in MS's case, you've got a much larger ratio of bad service.  And I'd have to lump multiple 360s returned as bad service too.

The reason why a class action lawsuit hasn't really gone through yet is that MS has lawyers up the wazoo.  If losing an antitrust case didn't hurt them, a little class action suit about failing gaming hardware isn't.  Also, MS is spending a crapload of money on support to try and deal with these problems before things hit critical mass enough that people start looking for class action lawsuits to join.  Oh, and there were a few lawsuits in progress, no one knows what happened to those.

And of course, there's the games.  People are so forgiving of MS just because they have games to play.  Things'll get interested in 2008 when both the Wii and PS3 start getting stronger lineups and more 360s start failing.

Lastly, there's the media.  Which frankly, have been really weak on MS's failings.  Every little thing Sony does gets scrutinized and posted, meanwhile no one calls foul on MS's hardware issues.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 04:36:53 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on November 13, 2007, 02:15:57 AM

Lastly, there's the media.  Which frankly, have been really weak on MS's failings.  Every little thing Sony does gets scrutinized and posted, meanwhile no one calls foul on MS's hardware issues.
To be fair, for a while, Sony kept screwing up in new and interesting ways while Microsoft just kept screwing up the same way over and over.   icon_lol

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:03 AM »

Well, you do have a point there.  The media would have to report the same story over and over, which actually I think they should considering the scale of the problem.  Especially since it's likely that no game media site out there has one of their original 360s still working considering how much use a company console would get, or they've had to send in a console multiple times.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 06:39:59 PM »

He just published his article: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_127/2702-Escalation

Hank are you the Harry in the story?
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 06:51:04 PM »

Good article... Eduardo_X is in it as well.

I agree with their conclusion.  EA handled their Rock Band fuckery quite well.  I sent in a request for replacement on Friday and had a new guitar by Wednesday.  I don't understand why MS has this absolutely piss poor process for a problem you think they'd be used to handling by now.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 06:55:42 PM »

Excellent article that's well worth reading by everybody.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:16:53 PM »

Quote from: gellar on December 11, 2007, 06:51:04 PM

I agree with their conclusion.  EA handled their Rock Band fuckery quite well.  I sent in a request for replacement on Friday and had a new guitar by Wednesday.  I don't understand why MS has this absolutely piss poor process for a problem you think they'd be used to handling by now.

Well I'll be able to compare the two companies' replacement procedures pretty evenly, since my 360 got the RROD just a few days after I ordered a replacement Rock Band guitar.

Let's keep score!

EA
December 7 - RMA submitted
December 11 - Replacement guitar already delivered according to my tracking #
Total wait time: 2 business days.

Microsoft
December 9 - RMA submitted
Total wait time: TBD
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »

Yeah that's quite funny... my 360 died over a week before I submitted my RMA to EA... yet I am still using a borrowed 360.

Shocking.

gellar
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 08:43:50 PM »

The turnaround time on both my 360 replacements have been pretty quick, the last one especially.  The DVD drive went out on my unit on 11/20. Called in the ticket on 11/22, received the coffin and shipped it back out on 11/27, and just got my repaired unit back last Friday (12/7).  All told, it was just over 2 weeks and that included the Thanksgiving holiday.  I was extremely surprised.

It's still ridiculous that I'm on my third 360 though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 10:32:51 PM by Gratch » Logged

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 09:37:40 PM »

Quote from: warning on December 11, 2007, 06:39:59 PM

He just published his article: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_127/2702-Escalation

You mean this guy?

Tongue
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 10:23:46 PM »

Quote from: Jag on December 11, 2007, 09:37:40 PM

Quote from: warning on December 11, 2007, 06:39:59 PM

You mean this guy?

Tongue

Harry Reimer?  Wasn't that a character in one of the Leisure Suit Larry games?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: