http://gamingtrend.com
April 16, 2014, 08:52:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Have you ever beaten an Ultima title?
Truth, Love, Courage - I am the Avatar. (Yes) - 16 (61.5%)
Vas Kal An Mani In Corp Hur Tym! (No) - 6 (23.1%)
I've never played them, which makes Knightshade Dragon cry... - 4 (15.4%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have you ever beaten....an Ultima game?  (Read 430 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:01 PM »

As you can infer from my online name, I'm an Ultima Dragon.  You had to know this question was coming.  Here are all of the Ultima titles, split by the Age in which they occur:

The Age of Darkness

Akalabeth
    Ultima I
    Ultima II
    Ultima III

The Age of Enlightenment

Ultima IV
    Ultima V
    Ultima VI
    Ultima Underworld
    Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire
    Worlds of Ultima: Martian Dreams

The Age of Armageddon

Ultima VII + The Forge of Virtue
    Ultima Underworld II
    Ultima VII Part Two + The Silver Seed
    Ultima VIII
    Ultima IX

I've beaten every one of these games.  Ultima IV is what got me hooked.  No game had tackled the subjects that Ultima 4 used as the primary vehicle for the narrative - rooting out evil in yourself.  

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »

I have completed every game in the Age of Armageddon, save for Underworld II. I did, however, beat Underworld.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 03:45:14 PM »

I've actually never even played one.  What little gamer cred I had just went :poof:

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »

Never beat one; only ever dabbled.  If I were to try and play one from start to finish now, which would you recommend?  Graphics don't matter to me.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 04:38:04 PM »

I beat Ultimas IV-IX, both Underworlds, both Worlds of Ultima, and I have dabbled with the first 3.5 games. It's is my favorite game series, though the last two were obviously disappointments.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »

I bought one, but I don't remember which it was. Never beat it.

Edit: It was Ultima VI
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:29 PM »

Quote from: Purge on August 06, 2013, 03:28:48 PM

I have completed every game in the Age of Armageddon, save for Underworld II. I did, however, beat Underworld.

Even Ultima 9? I'm sorry. biggrin

Man, what a bunch of memories and game experiences from this crowd of games. Although I admit, the only ones I actually beat were both Underworlds. Dabbled in a few others through the years.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2013, 06:47:09 PM »

Beat akalabeth once.
Beat 1-4 too many times to remember.
Beat 5 and 6 twice.
Beat 7-9 all at least once.

Played the underworlds and worlds games but haven't beaten them.

Looking back I am amazed at how me and a buddy were able to finish many of the early ones without the Internet. I think we had clue books for 2 and 3 but I am pretty sure we just compared notes for 4 and 5.

I've replayed pretty much all of them recently (within the last five years) and they hold up pretty well - admittedly with a heavy heaping of nostalgia. Eight and nine were horrific disappointments but even they have one or two things going for them.

It makes me sad that the franchise is essentially dead and has been for over a decade. Yet another reason to love EA...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 06:48:53 PM by JCC » Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »

I've played all of them, but I've only beat VI, VII and IX.  got the whole collection from GOG though, and was going to play through them over the summer- basically June 1st through August 20th was going to play nothing but retro RPG's but I got caught up with Skyrim.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »

These are the ones I finished.

The Age of Darkness

Ultima I
    Ultima II (2+)
    Ultima III

The Age of Enlightenment

Ultima IV
    Ultima V (close enough)
    Ultima Underworld (close enough)

The Age of Armageddon

Ultima VII (never finished the add-in)
    Ultima Underworld II
    Ultima VII Part Two + The Silver Seed

I think it was Ultima 5 I got to the very last dungeon and ran out of something or other that prevented me from continuing. I would had to have backtracked out of the dungeon to re-stock, then go back through it again. Too much work so I said I was close enough and called it a day. I could do without seeing the end splash screens.

Missed out on Ultima 6 and the World of Ultima engine games. I played the previous Ultima games on my Apple //e and was moving from the //e to an Amiga. I don't think the Amiga got Ultima 6 or if so too late in the game for me to care. When I finally got a PC Ultima 7 was due out so just skipped U6 all together. I did try going back to U6, even recently, but just couldn't get past the convoluted interface. 

After playing the Ultima 9 demo, and the experience of Ultima 8, I decided to just skip that one. Plus I seem to recall they were pricing that game at like $70 which was $10 more than the most expensive game at the time. After reports about all the bugs came out I was happy I didn't buy in to it. I did recently purchase it on GOG but still haven't played it yet.

I also played Ultima Online which was awesome the first month then terrible the second. Had two bad experiences in the game that soured me towards it. One where a guy killed me fair and square. I went back to where I died to fight and get my stuff back. He was still there and went invis, meaning I couldn't target him to do damage. Then he logged out which gave me no chance of getting my stuff back. The second experience was exploring a dungeon and all of a sudden a few players are running my direction and getting spell blasted. I start taking off with them and on the screen comes about five or six players typing "Don't Run. We Come in Peace!" while casting a bunch of fireballs or something killing everyone, then having a good laugh while they looted everyone. By then in the game the only way you could go out in the world was in groups and the only thing people were interested in was PvPing which wasn't much fun. So I knew the game wasn't for me anymore and canceled that second month.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on August 06, 2013, 03:52:01 PM

Never beat one; only ever dabbled.  If I were to try and play one from start to finish now, which would you recommend?  Graphics don't matter to me.

Hmm.....Ultima 7 is considered to be amongst the very best of all of the series.  I think I'd start with that. 

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:06 PM »

Did have another neat memory for Ultima 4/5 involving a hack you couldn't do today. I had both Ultima 4 + 5 on the Apple //e which came on two double-sided floppy discs. Back then you had to leave the disc in the drive (no hard drives) and the game would load the game world tiles from the disc as you moved through it. So if you moved 10 paces in a single direction the disc would access for a second and pull in the tile information for the world. But that process opened the game up to a neat hack that I exploited quite a few times.

If you took the disc out and either flipped it or put in one of the other discs (like the Dungeons discs) the game wouldn't know exactly what to pull in for tile information. So it would start pulling in random tiles. As you moved along you would start seeing dungeon hallways in the middle of nowhere. Or mountains, or water tilies where they shouldn't be. But not only did this trick start pulling in titles but various tile assets. So you would start coming across treasure chests or even monsters that should only be in dungeons. It was always funny to see a land locked sea serpent or pirate ship appear.

I used this trick quite a bit, not to get gold, but to walk from the continent to the large islands. You could basically create a land bridge of dungeon tiles to connect the two pieces of land. To change things back you just had to put in the correct disc and after 20 paces or so the world would start looking the way it should. But you had to be careful as many times those dungeon hallways would end unexpectedly. And then backtracking you might find that completely changed and at another dead end. There were times when I would think I was at the land mass and put in the correct disc and before I knew it I was surrounded by water on all sides with the only hope of re-loading, blinking to a land mass, or hoping a ship passes by that you can take over.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:48:56 PM »

After you posted this, it got me thinking, when I was a kid, I was constantly trying to play through Ultima 6 or 7, I forget which. However, it was a legal version, but I didn't have the copy protection. I also didn't know what the heck I was doing, so through tremendous amounts of trial and error, as well as a great deal of restarts forced or deliberate, I eventually saw a bunch of stuff in the game, even figured out speed runs to grab moon stones and use them to teleport to random places where I'd get killed.

I think I may need to grab these off GoG and actually play through it properly.

I actually bought Ultima 8, but that game infuriated me so much that I gave it to a friend, who promptly beat the whole thing.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 11:53:48 PM »

Ultima 5 was my introduction to the series and RPGs as a genre - I made significant progress, but never finished it.

I've beaten 1, 6, 7, and Underworld.  In addition to 5, I've gotten close to finishing Serpent Isle, 8 and 9.  Dabbled with the rest (including Escape from Mt. Drash)

Edit:  following Usenet discussions leading up to the release of Ultima 9 is how I ended up at Gone Gold, and eventually here.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 12:00:30 AM by Laner » Logged
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:36 AM »

Quote from: Laner on August 06, 2013, 11:53:48 PM

Ultima 5 was my introduction to the series and RPGs as a genre - I made significant progress, but never finished it.

I've beaten 7.  
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 07:13:45 AM »

No, because they were popular at a time when I had taken a leave from gaming. I did play a PC to a fairly high level in Ultima Online, but I'm guessing that doesn't count.  icon_razz
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 07:37:46 AM »

Ultima 5 - I was a dirty pirate back then, I'm afraid, which meant I had nothing to help me with the strange runes that was everywhere.

That meant that my 12 year old self looked at the runic sign near Britannia because I knew what the name of that city was, and started writing down every single rune sign I came across, and translated it by adding in letters that I knew, and then guessing, basically translating the entire world by hand and mind.

That probably is one of my biggest gaming achievements.

A new one
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 11:00:12 AM »

ah, the runic alphabet.  I remember translating everything that had it, from the cluebooks to the maps.

Because I can,
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 03:10:58 PM »

I totally forgot about translating the signs and such.  I photocopied the manual, so I was good in that aspect.  I remember Ultima 5 having some crazy hard copy protection back in the day on the PC.  I need to get some software to pirate the game.  I think it was called CopyIIPC.  Not sure though.  If I remember correctly, some applications could copy some games and others could not so you would often need to have a few copy applications.

In Oregon, we had a software rental store called Software Pipeline (which I later worked at for a few years).  For a kid, it made collecting games easy!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 03:38:09 PM »

I don't think I ever saw any of my friends successfully make a working copy of the C-64 versions of any of the games, even if it was to use with 2 drives.  ah, the good old days of flipping the disk over....

Because I can,
Greg Wak

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »

Sadly no. When these games were new I was gaming on a mac, enjoying MM. Last year I tried to play VII and IX from GOG. Could get past the graphics on VII, couldn't even tell what any of the object were. IX was a pretty bad game but I was slogging through. Then it broke and corrupted my save. Had to move on.
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »

One aspect of Ultima 5 that sucked for me was the save system.  You could only have one save and that was it.  I borrowed the game from someone's older brother and when I quit, it saved the game.  That wiped all of his months and months of progress (mapping the whole deal.  He was into it hardcore).  This HS senior called me (at the time I think I was in middle school) and left a threatening message telling me that he was gong to beat me unmerciful.  That never happened, but man, it taught me to respect a save game that's for sure.

It also taught me that people can get WAY TOO into these games.
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:17 PM »

Quote from: Travis on August 07, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

One aspect of Ultima 5 that sucked for me was the save system.  You could only have one save and that was it.  I borrowed the game from someone's older brother and when I quit, it saved the game.  That wiped all of his months and months of progress (mapping the whole deal.  He was into it hardcore).  This HS senior called me (at the time I think I was in middle school) and left a threatening message telling me that he was gong to beat me unmerciful.  That never happened, but man, it taught me to respect a save game that's for sure.

Games like these, at that time, represented MONTHS of playing time. At least, they did for me. I'd have been devastated as well if you wiped out the efforts of the game I'd been playing for 3 months.

A new one
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 05:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 07, 2013, 04:16:17 PM

Quote from: Travis on August 07, 2013, 04:02:05 PM

Games like these, at that time, represented MONTHS of playing time. At least, they did for me. I'd have been devastated as well if you wiped out the efforts of the game I'd been playing for 3 months.

Yep.  Ultima IV, if memory serves, is roughly 1400 hours of gameplay?  I think there's even a warning on the box....

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 06:38:34 PM »

Yeah I remember Ultima 3 in particular taking months to complete - that was my first RPG. When I got stuck I would move to another game for awhile like Autoduel or Magic Candle and then when I got stuck in those would go back to Ultima 3. I seem to recall at the very end I had to look up the answer in a Quest for Clues book to figure out what to do with the last 3-4 machines. But I was pretty damn proud when I finally finished that game.

I also legally owned just about every //e game I had with a few I purchased for my self and the rest I managed to convinced my poor parents to buy; they caved in easy. The exceptions were the games Temple of Apshai and Kareteka which my 5th grade computer lab teacher copied for me when he found out I had a //e at home. The C64 was a different story.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 03:32:42 AM »

Nope never, played a couple, but just couldn't get in to them too much. I believe some of them are getting a freemake right? I would like to play the NES version of Quest of the Avatar on the VC but doubt we will see it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 03:44:20 AM »

I'm pretty sure I only beat VII and the first Underworld.  I made it half way through IX before a game ending bug.  That kind of soured me on the series.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: