http://gamingtrend.com
September 21, 2014, 06:31:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have achievement points changed your gaming habits?  (Read 976 times)
Arkon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2006, 10:48:42 AM »

I for one have found that my gaming habits have changed quite a bit due to the creation of achievement points.  I am holding on to games just to try and get the remaining points.  As soon as I bored of a game, instead of putting it to the side and coming back to it, in the past I would just get rid of it.  Now I just shelf it knowing that at some point I will play it again.  I have also found I am very apt to buy the XBOX Live arcade games if they even remotely interest me, just for the sake of getting more achievements.  I also know that while in the past, if I missed a decent game, once the price dropped I usually was too busy with newer games to bother, but now that won't be the case.  I can see myself going back and buying a bunch of games when they hit $19.99 or so.  Even borderline games like say Gun or Full Auto, which really aren't worth full price, I may get once the price hits rock bottom just so I can get the achievements.  I think it is worse than crack at times..

:lol:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 11:30:14 AM »

Not one bit.  I can see the appeal for some, but I couldn't even tell you my gamer score off the top of my head (it's pretty low IIRC).
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:38:41 AM »

It hasn't really changed my habits, but it does give me a choice more often than note.  "Gee...I have to do that damned level again, but perfectly to get the achievement?  Ugh, no thanks".

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 12:24:44 PM »

Absolutely Arkon.  Changed my habits as well.  I'm now more apt to hold on to games rather than trade them in.  It also gives me alot of incentive to try and finish games because unless a game is a mega can't miss title (like the KOTOR series) I usually won't finish it.  Right now I'm holding on to Kameo, Call of Duty 2, Tony Hawk and Tomb Raider because I know I want to finish these and get most of the achievements.

My only disappointment are the sports games, particularly hockey.  Those achievements are absolutely lame and ridiculous.  If I were making NHL 2K7 I would have the following achievements (to name a few):

Win your Division in Season Mode
Won the season series against your rival
Best Powerplay Percentage
Most Goals Scored
Longest win streak of any team in Season mode
Take 1st Place in your conference
Have the best overall record in Season mode
Made it to the playoffs in Season mode
Advanced to second round
Advanced to Conference Finals
Advanced to Stanley Cup Finals
Won Stanley Cup

Achievements like these would inspire many people I would believe to play through an entire season, which I do every year.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 12:30:31 PM »

I don't even understand achievements, much less care about them.  So for me, nope.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 12:48:43 PM »

I don't care either but it appears some of you do so I guess it's a good idea.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 01:08:37 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Absolutely Arkon.  Changed my habits as well.  I'm now more apt to hold on to games rather than trade them in.  It also gives me alot of incentive to try and finish games because unless a game is a mega can't miss title (like the KOTOR series) I usually won't finish it.  Right now I'm holding on to Kameo, Call of Duty 2, Tony Hawk and Tomb Raider because I know I want to finish these and get most of the achievements.

My only disappointment are the sports games, particularly hockey.  Those achievements are absolutely lame and ridiculous.  If I were making NHL 2K7 I would have the following achievements (to name a few):

Win your Division in Season Mode
Won the season series against your rival
Best Powerplay Percentage
Most Goals Scored
Longest win streak of any team in Season mode
Take 1st Place in your conference
Have the best overall record in Season mode
Made it to the playoffs in Season mode
Advanced to second round
Advanced to Conference Finals
Advanced to Stanley Cup Finals
Won Stanley Cup

Achievements like these would inspire many people I would believe to play through an entire season, which I do every year.

I think the 1st gen sports titles for the 360 all suffer from horrible achievements.  I think it is just a matter of them being tacked on at the last minute.  I would agree that a list of achievements such as those would be much better.

For me, it just gives me incentive to do more than just play the game.  (this could be combined with online leaderboards as well).  For example COD2, I am almost done on normal difficulty.  Usually I wouldn't try it on veteran, but knowing there are achievements makes me want to try my hand at besting the game again.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »

Quote from: "Lockdown"
I don't even understand achievements, much less care about them.  So for me, nope.

Why does this not surprise me?  I guess not understanding how to pass would pretty much eliminate any understanding of something that is self explanatory such as "achievements".  Tongue  :wink:

For me the achievements are a self award program.  I have no friends I hang out with that play videogames anymore (I spend time with my kids and by myself only) and most people here on GT don't seem to discuss their exploits in games much anymore so the achievements give me something to strive for.  Previously, when I had friends that played videogames it was always the ongoing discussions of their adventures in so and so game that propelled me to play so that I can discuss my adventures with them.  Same with sports games.  The Xbox 360 achievement system is a substitute for the lack of friends.

A really good friend and coworker of mine who died a few years ago would often come in to work in the morning and we would spend some time discussing our hockey season games of last night or our exploits in so and so game and compare how we each approached the same situations.  It was fun!  No more though.  So, achievements kind of make up for this for me.

I miss these game discussions.  I had a great time talking with ATB during our times playing KOTOR 2.  And Lockdown, I had a great time reading your AARs for Gal Civ2, which inspired me to play it on my new laptop.  But alas, this seems to be no more.  But, the acheivements keep me going.

Strange right?  :?

P.S. And Devil is just a lost cause.  Anyone who would pick a PSP over a DS is lost anyway.  Tongue  :lol:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 02:53:08 PM »

Shifty - We really need to hook up for some games!!

PSP is a sign of my good taste!

bluntman72
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 03:59:36 PM »

I find myself trying to get acheivments in games like geometry wars to compete with friends who have the same games, but over all i dont really care about my gamer score, I think I am only in the 900's or so so I havent even hit 1k. I care more about my geometry wars score than my gamer score.

I do like the sense of accomplishment when you get an acheivment though.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 04:44:53 PM »

I never really worry about my gamerscore, as it's pretty much pointless.  All gamerscore is, is yet another e-Peen for people to wave around. biggrin I don't think I've even cracked 1000 points yet.

However, I'm very much an explorer/achiever type, and having the 360 Achievements added to certain types of games really helps with replay value and goal-setting.

For instance, the achievements in Oblivion are pretty much meaningless to me; the main story achievements don't really matter because, well, they're part of the main story.  The guild achievements don't really matter to me because I'm already feeling the accomplishment of those achievements in the game since those are marks of progress within the game itself through the story/character accomplishments.

However, in games like Project Gotham Racing 3 and Burnout Revenge, the Achievements give me things I can aim for, measurements of my accomplishments.  They're things that help me get more value out of the game by providing me alternative achievements to work toward beyond the standard ones in the game.  I feel that the Achievements system can be really rewarding and fun for racing, sports, party, and other various non-story-based games.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 05:39:20 PM »

Quote from: "Farscry"
However, in games like Project Gotham Racing 3 and Burnout Revenge, the Achievements give me things I can aim for, measurements of my accomplishments.  They're things that help me get more value out of the game by providing me alternative achievements to work toward beyond the standard ones in the game.  I feel that the Achievements system can be really rewarding and fun for racing, sports, party, and other various non-story-based games.  smile

I agree.  PGR3 had really great achievements, stuff that made collecting cars fun; it actually sort of made me play game modes I'd usually just not even touch, and it was fun.  

There's too wide a discrepancy with the points given by certain games, which can really inflate a gamerscore, regardless, it's still fun to see the things people have played.  I check out gamerscores to see if people have certain games to play multiplayer with  :lol:

TheMissingLink on PSN
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:54 PM »

I tend to push a bit extra now to get the extra gaming points.  Gaming points are more of an incentive for me to finish games now, which really helps me.  I really want to finish Tomb Raider now for the extra points, as opposed to just playing it till I get slightly bored.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 01:36:59 AM »

I like them.  They give a more tangiable incentive.  It's fun to look at them and see what I've done.  Not worried about my points total as much as just being able to say, "Look, I am Grand Master of the arena."

I think what I like most is being able to compare achievements.  I like knowing that I have more Oblivion points than TML.  I hate seeing how many more GRAW achievements he has than me.  TML is the benchmark and I am failing.  So much for setting low goals...

So I like achievements but don't care so much about the points total.  I dig the ability to compare them (the side-by-side thing on Xbox.com is nice) and see what I've done.

I pay more attention to little things like the examples mentioned by previous posters.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 11:51:56 AM »

I like the achievements, and it has changed my gaming in a couple of ways.

In PGR3, where you rank up, I was really shooting for and keeping track of how far from Rank 5 I was because I knew it'd give me the achievement.  It felt like a much more tangible accomplishment than going from Rank 8->7, for example.  And also, when the game displayed it's in-game reward screens (trophy's or in-game accomplishments that aren't XBoxLive Accomplishments), I didn't really care much.

In DOA4, where you could just play endless numbers of the same game mode, it encourages me to try the various modes, and again, gives me something to strive for.  I suck, so I get the 'lose 5 matches in a row' achievement, but I'm still trying.

My other games are influenced less, though with the Arcade games, I am very conscious of what the achievements are, and trying to get them.  For example, I knew Zuma had a 100 coin achievement, so I would sometimes play a level I knew I could get a lot of coins on so I'd get close to that 100 mark.

And when my 'net connection went down for 3 days, I was very selective in what I played because I didn't want to get an achievement that wouldn't be reflected in it's full glory in my online profile.  So, for example, I'd play Oblivion, but only work on the side quests instead of the Mage / Fighter / Main Quest line.

And then, on the flip side, I was  disappointed when I achieved 3 out of the 5 achievements for NBA2K6 in my very first game.  I felt cheated that I didn't have those artificial goals to strive for.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 12:06:12 PM »

Well I am glad to see I am not the only one.  All this mention of PGR3 got me thinking.... so I downloaded all the new cars last night and at some point soon I hope to get back in to it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 02:22:18 PM »

hellzya.

It's like pokemon... gotta catch em all. biggrin
I'm trying to get all 250 officers in Dynasty Warriors 5 : Empires (which, by the way, is RISK + Dynasty Warriors 5 without as much cheesy dialogue).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 03:06:01 PM »

Quote from: "DonD"
In PGR3, where you rank up, I was really shooting for and keeping track of how far from Rank 5 I was because I knew it'd give me the achievement.  It felt like a much more tangible accomplishment than going from Rank 8->7, for example.  And also, when the game displayed it's in-game reward screens (trophy's or in-game accomplishments that aren't XBoxLive Accomplishments), I didn't really care much.

I actually care just as much about the in-game rewards as I do about the 360 Achievements.  I just like having tangible goals and achievements to aim for, whether it's in-game or through the Achievements system.  For example, one of the things that really encourages me to keep playing Advance Wars DS's other modes even after completing the campaign is the medal system.  smile

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 07:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Shifty - We really need to hook up for some games!!

PSP is a sign of my good taste!

Good taste?  Pfft.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 07:30:20 PM »

GREAT taste!

Pages: [1]   Go Up