http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:32:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have a SDTV? No visible text in Banjo-Kazooie: NaB for you!  (Read 1357 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »

You thought Dead Rising was bad as far as text goes on a SD-TV? It'll be even worse in Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. And the worst part? Rare knows about it and won't fix it:

Rare initially said it was looking into the issues, following complaints that game's text was near unreadable on normal CRT TVs. But Rare's community manager George Kelion has come out to admit that a fix is unlikely.

"Unfortunately, this is an issue that doesn't look like it will get changed. I don't want to bore you with the technical side of things (I really don't understand it all myself), but the long and the short of it is that the text you see in the demo will be the same as that which you find in the retail version of the game," said Kelion.

"I'm sorry that we weren't able to address this issue as nothing would please us more than turning all your complaints into gleeful responses, but it's simply something that's too expensive in terms of time, resources and money to alter," he said on the NeoGAF forums.

It's ironic that such a fundamental flaw could be in one of the biggest 360 games of the year, especially considering MS dictates that XBLA games have to playable on a 14-inch CRT TV as a rule of thumb for all games on the service, as we reported last month.

So...how is this game being released again considering it violates one of Microsoft's rules for XBLA games? Oh, wait - Microsoft owns them. Wait...that doesn't make any sense at all.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 09:30:38 PM »

So get with the program and buy a damn HDTV already...  icon_twisted

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »

Wow - how in the world could this have happened?  How could they not have been testing the game on an SDTV all along, especially a mass-appeal game like this?  I also don't see how this is acceptable.  Unless there's a big sticker on the box saying that the game requires an HDTV, they're knowingly selling people a product that may be unplayable (depending on how vital it is to be able to read the text).  I'll have to try out the demo and see how bad it is.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 10:53:20 PM »

I don't get it.  Do they really believe that everyone in the world has an HDTV?  Get the fuck with the program already game developers! I'm so tired of having to squint to read the text on most of my games.  I would buy a new tv *like that* but my position in Japan is fairly uncertain.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:05:09 PM »

You don't need to read the text to play, yo.

gellar
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 11:38:26 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 05, 2008, 11:05:09 PM

Don't all the characters jabber away like they did in the older games? In other words - there's no voice acting to tell you your missions and such.

At least, this is entirely based on what I've read elsewhere. I haven't tried the demo.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 01:44:09 AM »

It's like the anti-Nintendo!

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:00:41 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2008, 11:38:26 PM

Don't all the characters jabber away like they did in the older games? In other words - there's no voice acting to tell you your missions and such.

At least, this is entirely based on what I've read elsewhere. I haven't tried the demo.

But you can still PLAY.

gellar
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 02:32:18 AM »

i played the demo,and the text isnt that bad(SONY SDTV widescreen Vega 32")..but a lot of people are complaining about it on xbox.com..the text IS small,but i am getting by with it alright,however some of the text comes up and then goes very quickly,so i dont get a chance to read it.,LOL

as for the XBLA size thing,seems as though MS make up the rules as they go along,the size of the actual games arent meant to be bigger than 250mb at the moment i think(or that is their cap),however..i think Portal last week was something like 700mb

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 08:52:28 AM »

Considering the game is rated E-10 and is supposed to be targeted at families and appeal to a younger audience, that's more likely to be a customer that doesn't have a 360 hooked up to a HDTV. So yeah, IMO this is one big screw up by Microsoft. I've been dismayed at how poorly the game's been marketed here in western Canada. I've yet to see any posters or blurbs on it anywhere other than XBL marketplace and just 1 week before release no staff at any of the EB's, Best Buys or Futureshops in my city know if the N64 remake for XBLA will be available free with preorders. I actually had an EB manager go through all their promo material last night to check and they couldn't find a single sheet of info on the game.

I really wish MS XBox marketing would just cut the bullshit about them wanting to branch out into other market segments. At this stage in the 360's life cycle it's pretty damn clear they're solely committed to the male teen -to- adult market with very little intentions elsewhere. The way I see it there continual lip service to family oriented games is just cheap talk to sway families of preteen children to make the wrong decision at the time of purchase.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 01:06:07 PM »

I tried the demo on my 22" SDTV, and the text is annoyingly small, but still readable most of the time if you're fairly close to the TV.  The story sections are the worst, as they don't pause after each sentence, there's no voice acting, and they go by too quickly to read.  Fortunately, the instructions do pause, awaiting a button press, so you can read these.  What's silly is that the font they use for other text in the game is bigger and perfectly readable, and easily could have been used for the rest of the text.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:47:09 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 06, 2008, 08:52:28 AM

Considering the game is rated E-10 and is supposed to be targeted at families and appeal to a younger audience, that's more likely to be a customer that doesn't have a 360 hooked up to a HDTV. So yeah, IMO this is one big screw up by Microsoft. I've been dismayed at how poorly the game's been marketed here in western Canada. I've yet to see any posters or blurbs on it anywhere other than XBL marketplace and just 1 week before release no staff at any of the EB's, Best Buys or Futureshops in my city know if the N64 remake for XBLA will be available free with preorders. I actually had an EB manager go through all their promo material last night to check and they couldn't find a single sheet of info on the game.

I really wish MS XBox marketing would just cut the bullshit about them wanting to branch out into other market segments. At this stage in the 360's life cycle it's pretty damn clear they're solely committed to the male teen -to- adult market with very little intentions elsewhere. The way I see it there continual lip service to family oriented games is just cheap talk to sway families of preteen children to make the wrong decision at the time of purchase.

There may not be any advertising in Canada, but I've seen it advertised all over the web here, as well as in every gaming magazine I've read in the last coule months as well as an actual TV commercial aired during Mythbusters last night.  They've also been releasing a series of screenshots and videos on the web if you read gaming sites.  I don't call that lack of advertising at all.  It's extremely rare to see any games advertised on a channel other than G4, and Mythbusters is a pretty prime spot as far as I'm concerned.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 09:28:11 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on November 07, 2008, 06:47:09 AM

Quote from: kronovan on November 06, 2008, 08:52:28 AM

There may not be any advertising in Canada, but I've seen it advertised all over the web here, as well as in every gaming magazine I've read in the last coule months as well as an actual TV commercial aired during Mythbusters last night.  They've also been releasing a series of screenshots and videos on the web if you read gaming sites.  I don't call that lack of advertising at all.  It's extremely rare to see any games advertised on a channel other than G4, and Mythbusters is a pretty prime spot as far as I'm concerned.

Great that they're advertising in all those places, but other than Myth Busters none of those are prime locations for the audience they're hoping to reach. Sure I've seen ads on game sites and in gaming magazines, but that's preaching to a demographic that probably already knew about it. If I were to compare MS's marketing effort for this game in my area to Nintendo's for SSBB or Mario Kart, there'd be no comparison whatsoever.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on November 06, 2008, 02:00:41 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 05, 2008, 11:38:26 PM

But you can still PLAY.

gellar

Mmmm... perhaps for this game, but not so much for others, lol. I did have a choice, of course, when I was unable to read anything on "Infinite Undiscovery" - to either buy an HDTV or return the game.  You really need to see your inventory in an RPG, especially one that Squeenix is involved in.  Even if I stood right in front of the TV, I could not read most of the print. Kill an enemy, walk over what it drops, and read:  "You have just received a &*#)@#%$" - and I'm guessing at the "You have just received" part. Check the inventory, of about a thousand items, can't find it there either, because most of it was unreadable.   icon_eek

Of course, I bought an HDTV, but still...  thumbsdown

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 06:55:37 PM »

Microsoft/RARE have caved

http://kotaku.com/5080537/rare-about+faces-teeny+tiny-sdtv-text-will-be-fixed

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts players gaming on antique standard-defiinition television sets have in some cases been unable to read dialogue text, which shows up fine on HDTV sets. This is kind of an issue as there's no voice acting in the game and the dialogue delivers clues for what you're supposed to do next. Originall, Rare's George Killion said SDTV was SOL and there would be no fix.

Comes now George to pass word from Microsoft PR that the text issue will in fact be patched. Here is the statement, posted on the Banjo Blog.

“It has come to our attention that people are experiencing subtitle [dialogue text] readability issues with Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts on Standard Definition TVs. We would like to assure you that contrary to earlier reports, we are aware of the issue and currently working on a title update to be released within the next 30 days that will fix it for those with Standard Definition TVs. We’re committed to ensuring all fans of the franchise are able to have the best experience possible with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts.”

No word on when the patch is available, but it sounds like it's a priority if Microsoft PR is taking charge.

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 07:26:23 PM »

I tried the demo yesterday(before I had read this thread or anything about the text issue) and only played for about 3 minutes before giving up.  With them fixing things, I'll probably rent it down the road and give it another shot.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 07:59:20 PM »

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts players gaming on antique standard-defiinition television sets have in some cases been unable to read dialogue text, which shows up fine on HDTV sets.

Seriously, antique? There are still a lot of people out there who are not made of money - and have quite nice SDTV's.

I also don't want to think about a 3 or 4 year old television as antique, because that leads to the inevitable question: if they're antique, what the hell am I?  mad

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 10:59:38 PM »

Yeah, I would hardly consider a non-HD TV to be an antique.  Of course it was Kotaku making the antique comment, and it was a strike-through word put in as a joke I assume.  Those Kotaku writers, ever the funny ones.  Hah.   Roll Eyes

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: