http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Has your 360 ever failed and required service?
Yes it has - 18 (28.6%)
No it hasn't - 40 (63.5%)
I don't have a 360 but Ellen Pompeo is hawt! - 5 (7.9%)
Total Voters: 63

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has your 360 ever failed and required service?  (Read 1757 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2006, 02:45:51 PM »

We've been discussing failure rate in this thread: http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,14683

So has your 360 ever failed and required service?

Edit: I screwed up the original so I deleted it and started over.  I'm lame.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:49:30 PM »

100% failure rate, I knew it!

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 02:50:05 PM »

I just cut it down to 50% icon_twisted

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2006, 03:01:51 PM »

I voted no, but I have a feeling that soon, my 360 will have to go in. I'm getting freezing on the start-up splash screen and disc read errors.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on August 31, 2006, 03:01:51 PM

I voted no, but I have a feeling that soon, my 360 will have to go in. I'm getting freezing on the start-up splash screen and disc read errors.

Probably should have been another option for the poll since I recall a few people around here who get intermittent problems but are living with them.

As for me, I've got a launch 360 with no issues. 
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2006, 03:38:25 PM »

I've had the three light o' doom twice in the past 10 months... once due to a power surge, another time due to overheating.  But a quick reboot and all was back to normal.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2006, 03:42:56 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 31, 2006, 03:08:18 PM

Probably should have been another option for the poll since I recall a few people around here who get intermittent problems but are living with them.

I thought about that but the poll is basically in response to the other thread where EA was talking about a 30-50% failure rate.  Intermittent problems are tricky to sort out.  I've had mine for a month with no real problems except for a lockup once.
Mystic95Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 03:47:20 PM »

Yep, waiting on the coffin to arrive...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 04:18:35 PM »

Never had so much as an issue.  Had a few EA games lock up, but otherwise has been clean for me since a week after launch.

* gellar thinks you guys need to take better care of your stuff slywink
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2006, 04:27:10 PM »

Quote from: gellar on August 31, 2006, 04:18:35 PM

Never had so much as an issue.  Had a few EA games lock up, but otherwise has been clean for me since a week after launch.

* gellar thinks you guys need to take better care of your stuff slywink

Doubtful better care could be taken than how I treat my gaming equipment. I suppose the housekeepers might be messing with it when they are there and I am at work, or perhaps my wife is throwing it against the wall when I am out playing tennis. If my son could crawl I could accuse him of drooling on it when I'm not looking, but he's pretty much stationary at this point.

I guess I'll just have to beat them all just to be sure.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2006, 04:41:45 PM »

Nope...I purchased mine from a member here and it still works nearly flawlessly, even after a cross-country voyage.  I've had a few lockups, and random hangs here and there, but it's happened the most with NHL 2k6, and 2k games are buggy as hell, so I blame Take 2.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself....

TheMissingLink on PSN
meeeeeeoooooow on XBL
3952-7039-1345 on 3DS
addybojangles on GameCenter
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2006, 06:10:05 PM »

As already documented, my launch 360 blew up and ate a disc in the process.

I still have a rare crash on my current 360, but that's about as often as my other consoles crash/freeze for whatever reason.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2006, 06:27:52 PM »

I have a 360 purchased on day 1 back in November. Haven't had any problems outside of the occasional lockup in a game.
hepcat

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2006, 06:54:29 PM »

bought one in february of this year and have only had a couple of dirty disc errors and maybe 2 or three lockups (mostly due to trying to use the xboxlive guide during load screens in games).

any way of finding out what "build" my 360 is?  i'd love to know if it's a launch version, or if it's from a later batch.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2006, 06:56:55 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on August 31, 2006, 06:54:29 PM

bought one in february of this year and have only had a couple of dirty disc errors and maybe 2 or three lockups (mostly due to trying to use the xboxlive guide during load screens in games).

any way of finding out what "build" my 360 is?  i'd love to know if it's a launch version, or if it's from a later batch.

The manufacture date is stamped on the back by the serial number.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »

thanks!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2006, 09:01:54 PM »

I've had 2 fail.  Count my vote double.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2006, 10:12:06 PM »

I was in Target this afternoon and walked over the the 360 kiosk to see what games that were demo-ing. Unfortunately, their 360 had the 3 red rings of death.  icon_lol
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2006, 10:18:28 PM »

On my third one so far so good. icon_biggrin

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 02:23:59 AM »

Jesus, while not scientific, this is right in line with the 30% range being reported.   :icon_eek:

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2006, 02:31:34 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 31, 2006, 03:08:18 PM

I had the same thing til mine died outright one day last week.  Launch system to dead as a hammer. Just like that.  My confidence is not high on this product. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2006, 02:32:52 AM »

I was lucky that mine failed in the first 30 days of getting it, so I was able to return it to Target (good return policy there) and get another one.
The second one, no problems as of yet.. although I've got a feeling sooner than later my luck will run out after seeing all these other posts.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2006, 03:58:55 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 01, 2006, 02:31:34 AM

I had the same thing til mine died outright one day last week.  Launch system to dead as a hammer. Just like that.  My confidence is not high on this product. 

Same here, though mine died in...June I think. The first refurb was a dud. Second has been good. Think I may spring for the extended warranty JIC.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2006, 08:08:14 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on September 01, 2006, 03:58:55 AM

Quote from: mikeg on September 01, 2006, 02:31:34 AM

Same here, though mine died in...June I think. The first refurb was a dud. Second has been good. Think I may spring for the extended warranty JIC.

can you get an extended warranty from microsoft for a refurbished unit that's replacing a broken, out of warranty unit?

i have the 2 year BB plan, and i'm covered.  although i'm not sure if i'm covered for 2 years, or if i'm covered ONCE in 2 years (i.e. if it breaks, i get one replacement...total).   :icon_confused:

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2006, 09:07:49 PM »

Well, I got my system/a system back from MS today.  I played two hours of enchanted arms.  Took a break and now my system won't read any of my games.  I have 16 games, tried every one of em, it comes up saying it is a DVD and it has to be played in an Xbox360, umm hello wtf is this thing sitting here in front of me that I just put my game in.  I could swear it says Xbox 360 on it.  Call MS, the english as a second language phone guy is telling me that my system is out of warranty.  Umm hello I have a 2 year warranty on it.  It isn't out of warranty.  Now I am being transferred to a "level 2" agent... I guess he has more hitpoints or something.
DonD

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2006, 09:16:04 PM »

Arkon, when I called MS when my 2nd one died less then a month after replacement, I was immediately transferred to level 3.

Make sure they know you -just- got this one back and advance another level up the ladder.

XBox Live: DonDesio
PSN: DonD_GT
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2006, 09:23:25 PM »

Quote from: DonD on September 01, 2006, 09:16:04 PM

Arkon, when I called MS when my 2nd one died less then a month after replacement, I was immediately transferred to level 3.

Make sure they know you -just- got this one back and advance another level up the ladder.

I am trying but this guys engrish is painful and he doesn't seem to understand what I am saying.  And he has tried 5 times now to transfer me "up the ladder" but no one is answering the phones.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2006, 09:26:24 PM »

good lord, arkon, i'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble!   :icon_eek:

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:34 PM »

So this non english speaking motherfucker finally gets through to a lvl 2 tech, and they are saying I have no warranty and will need to pay $125 for the repair, but they are researching, then the same non english speaking motherfucker gets back on the phone instead of transferring me to be able to talk to the lvl 2 tech myself.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2006, 10:33:42 PM »

I'm becoming more and more convinced that MS is indeed recycling defective 360s right back out to customers. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2006, 11:01:37 PM »

I bought one at launch. It worked fine until Feb 10th and then flat out died.  I recieved my new one 3 days later and it has been fine. Not one lockup and I play it just about every day.  Honestly when I buy a console on launch day I am almost expecting it to fail within the first year.  I am fairly confident the PS3 will have similar problems, I bought 2 PS2's.  When my second one died in January I never bought another one.  I will say my Gamecube has been rock solid.  Too bad I never turn it on anymore.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2006, 11:08:42 PM »

Here is my delima.. Since I NEED to buy things at Costco, and SOMETIMES Costco doesn't get things right at launch, it creates a difficult situtation..  For example it took them about a month or two after the release of the DS-Lite to get the DS Lite bundles in stock.  Which was fine, they are Xmas gifts, however if someone was desperate to get a DS Lite, they'd have to wait.  But isn't it worth the wait when you get a lifetime refund policy on something as fragile as a handheld?

For the Xbox360, they had sporadic availability for the first few months, and often sold out in 2-3 days.  Then sometime around January/February, you would find pallets of them at any Costco in America.  Clearly, in that case, it would have been better to wait given the lack of reliability of the unit.

For the Wii, the problem will be MUCH more difficult. I want to get a Wii for the kids for Xmas, and I suspect Costco will not have supplies of their exclusive bundle until after the holidays. (I could be wrong, just a feeling)  But I really need to buy it at Costco, because if it goes belly up in a year or two, I want my $$$ back.

Maybe give the kids a Costco gift card to cover it eh?  Thats not much fun at Xmas though!

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2006, 12:10:20 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on September 01, 2006, 11:08:42 PM

For the Wii, the problem will be MUCH more difficult. I want to get a Wii for the kids for Xmas, and I suspect Costco will not have supplies of their exclusive bundle until after the holidays. (I could be wrong, just a feeling)  But I really need to buy it at Costco, because if it goes belly up in a year or two, I want my $$$ back.

But this is a Nintendo product you're talking about. Honestly, when was the last time you're heard of one going bad? They're practically indestructable. We've had a forum member here drop his DS into his spa and survive before. Yes, I've heard of the hinge issue on the DS Lites, but that's poor craftsmanship and not an issue of your 360 eating a DVD or something.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2006, 03:41:27 PM »

Arkon I am sorry to hear about all your hassles. I hope it works out okay in the end.

I replied to the poll.
I have a launch day console and have had no issues other than the very rare game lockup.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: