http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 06:38:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has the Wii been hacked?  (Read 991 times)
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« on: December 18, 2006, 10:13:21 PM »

Take a look at this link. It sure looks real (although yeah, there could be another console hooked up off screen that is doing all of this), but who knows. From the article:

January 1st, 2007 is a day that will be very interesting. According to this video, that is the day when the author of this video is going to open the flood gates and upload his “Wii Backup” program to the internet. According to the video, the way it works is to put a backup copy of a Wii game, then go to the Photo Channel, insert your SD Card with Wii Backup on it, run the Wii Backup program via the slideshow, and then you will be brought back to your Wii Channels to see your backup copy running.

Like I said, January 1st will be a very interesting day.

Thoughts? Honestly, I'm quite worried. I don't want the Wii going the way of the Dreamcast (where anybody with a certain burning program and access to the 'net for downloads could pirate any and all games ever made).

EDIT: As pointed out in the original link, this could very well be fake due to the TV popping up a AV1 thing in the upper left around 1:20 (2 Wii consoles). Or that could be the TV changing into the proper resolution when the game booted. Could very well be fake then.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2006, 10:19:50 PM by Destructor » Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 10:31:29 PM »

Well if it is true, I'd expect Nintendo to hit us with an update mui pronto.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 11:45:41 PM »

There really is no such thing a bulletproof console, especially consoles with basic SD ports  paranoid.  They will all be hacked.  The only way to police it is to force flashes through new games. But as the PSP has proven it is a losing battle.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 11:57:56 PM »

Every time my Wii resets I see the resolution in the upper left corner.  Could very well be legit.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:41:59 AM »

I can't see the problem with being able to load up homebrew software. The DS has some great stuff on it, and I'm sure the Wii will have some great stuff as well.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:07:26 AM »

Quote from: Eduardo X on December 19, 2006, 12:41:59 AM

I can't see the problem with being able to load up homebrew software. The DS has some great stuff on it, and I'm sure the Wii will have some great stuff as well.

Problem being is that people want exactly two things with their Wii console:

1) Total piracy of games.
2) Total piracy of VC games (and the availability of all games ever made).

I really don't see homebrew being too big of a hit on the Wii, short of some cool ideas to use the controller. People will be more focusing on the two points above. For that matter, I'm surprised that nobody has hacked the VC yet.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 08:35:39 AM »

someone on the nintendo forums have managed to get their wii to play DVDs,its feature was apparently taken out at the last minute

but now that nintendo have finally bowed to DVD discs,instead of cartridges and smaller size DVDs....it was only a matter of time before the bootlegs came...if it can be made,it can be unmade

bootleg 360 games have been on the 'black' market for at least 6 months now

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2007, 06:43:51 PM »

Well it is now Jan 1st and I havent seen anything making the rounds on the net yet. 

EDIT:  Just read that he is supposedly releasing something at 4pm est time.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 06:47:04 PM by GatorFavre » Logged

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2007, 11:57:03 PM »

And it's been proven a fake:

"Alright guys, here's the deal, "nester72" released his so called "bootloader" on to our ftp server last night, however I can now confirm that his video (which was uploaded by me) is 100% FAKE! I do apologize if I lead any one to believe that this video was more then a fake but like you, I was hoping that this video was the real deal but unfortunately it did not turn out that way."

Good.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: