http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 02:24:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Portable Gaming Changed Your Gaming Habits?  (Read 1118 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »

As the dozens of you who have joined the ATB fanclub know from my recent newsletter, I'm still in love with the DS lite, having grabbed it on launch day.  It, has in fact, become one of those watershed purchases in my gaming history- the first since my acquisition of the XBOX in 2002 completely steered me away from more than a decade of PC only gaming.

Habits that have changed since the acquisition of my DS Lite:

1. I've significantly cut back on my console playing as the 'hassle' of powering up the tv, the console and the surround sound system is now too much effort whereas the DS gives me near instant gratification

2. I am currently engaged in Octo-simultaneous play whereas previously on the consoles and even back on the PC, I almost always played one game from start to finish before firing up another.  Currently on the DS I'm playing (in order of most time to least): Advanced Wars: DS, Brain Age, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright, New Super Mario Bros, Brain Age and  Trauma Center.  Zounds!

3. I play in places where I never thought I would play (public): I've broken the DS out at Doctor's offices, oil change companies, and other venues.  Gaming for me is coming out of the closet, as it were

4. I play in places where I NEVER thought I would play (private): <cough> in the bathroom.  I even, uh, bring it with me when I go to my work's HQ, drop the sound all the way down and play when I'm in the men's restroom at work.  Yah baby!

5. As a direct result of #4 the amount of time I spend reading has dropped significantly.  I'm hard pressed to read my two favorite magazines at all now: Wired and The Economist.  Also, my brief flirtation with the novel, rekindled by the masterpiece The Three Muskateers has been put on hiatus.

6. I no longer dread trips out of town.  I've done a bit of travel lately and the DS has come with me to every location.  It's a great go to when there's nothing to do or I need a quick fix before bed when in a strange land

7. Interrupted sleep patterns.  Specifically due to 6, when I'm on the road my schedule is already off and this is exacerbated by my staying up 30 mins to an hr longer than I intended to deal some damage to Black Hole.

8. I've started wearing gamer T-shirts.  Yes, my wife bought me the 'I have control issues' shirt with a an N64 controller on it, but since getting the DS and falling more and more in love with Nintendo, I've purchased several others...and wear them in public.

9. I have introduced gaming to my oldest child: 3.5.  While I don't want my kids to be as hooked on gaming as I am, I have let the oldest play whack a mole on NSMB as well as play a bit of Mario Kart.  Previously, as almost all my games for the console are M or T rated, I only played after they went to bed.  Still, I don't let it interfere with 'daddy' time, but it is becoming more mainstream

10.  I finally got teh wife to play something...briefly.  I thought she would enjoy brain age, but she didn't care for it telling her 'how stupid she is' when, upon her first try, her brain age was 81.  Despite my explanations that it would get easier as she acquired the familiarity with the device, the door has not only once again been slammed, but deadbolted.  My mother in law loved BA.  She lives 6 hrs away though.

Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:42 PM »

While I would like alot of the games that are out on portable systems, I hate with a passion trying to play on one.  It strains my eyes staring at a tiny screen, and quite frankly I would rather sit on a couch playing a game on my 29" TV instead of looking at a 4" screen, staring at it merely feet away from my face.  I can't play when riding in a car as it makes me sick.  So portable gaming hasn't changed my habits at all.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:20:46 PM »

I've been a fan of portable gaming since the original Game Boy came out in '89.  I used it all the time, especially on road trips, but even at home since I grew up in a 5-person household with only one tv.  slywink

Around high school and through college, my portable gaming time dropped off significantly, but when I started into my computer trainer position after college, I picked up a GBA and a couple games since I travelled fairly often and found myself bored while sitting at motels in podunk towns. slywink The GBA revived my interest in portable gaming, and I've loved the DS every bit as much as my GBA. biggrin

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:45:55 PM »

PSP has been huge for me.

I'm now able to play sports games (80% of my gaming) without trekking down to the basement and secluding myself from the world.

That alone has me buying games for the PSP whenever possible, even over 360 at times.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:22:43 PM »

I, too, have done portable gaming since the original Gameboy.  Actually, I supposed those old things like Merlin and the Mattel handheld football game count as well, so back that far, I suppose.  So, nothing has really changed because I've been doing it as a kid.  I am amazed, though, how much time I put into my DS and PSP while at home.  I mean, I have all the other console systems and yet I have historically played my portables more.  Lately, though, the 360 has become king of my gaming time now that I have some good people to play multi over Live with.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:23:29 PM »

Yeah, primarily because it means I can game without isolating myself from my wife and daughter.  Plus they tend to be much more pick up and play friendly- even in portable games that don't offer save anywhere, I can stop playing at any moment by dropping the PSP or DS into sleep mode.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:27:00 PM »

I can't portably game at all.  I've had a PSP (lost it somewhere when I moved) and currently have a DS.  They only get playtime when I'm on a plane or in an airport.  Otherwise, if I have time to game, I fire up the PC or 360.

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:32:48 PM »

I love portable gaming.  Before when I went to college and before even that shutting myself in and just sitting down and playing a game exclusively was something I could do.  Now that I don't have that much time, I feel like when I sit down and play a game for an hour or so on a console, sometimes it feels like I 'wasted' something.

So portable gaming is what I usually do.  I take my PSP/DS and play while watching Sportscenter or any other TV show.  I can't tell you how many times it has been 'flagged.'  I take it on my 30 mins. each way transit time to and from work each workday.

Portable gaming definately does affect how I play games.  I <3 it.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
FlyingElvis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 04:13:38 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Yeah, primarily because it means I can game without isolating myself from my wife and daughter.  Plus they tend to be much more pick up and play friendly- even in portable games that don't offer save anywhere, I can stop playing at any moment by dropping the PSP or DS into sleep mode.

This is pretty much my situation. I can stay in the family room and not go off to the bedroom to use the TV for gaming. There is too much competition for the family room TV.

I agree, save anywhere is a non-issue with sleep mode since I usually only play one game at a time and am not swapping discs.

Now playing: Oblivion, X3: The Reunion
Poomba
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »

4. I play in places where I NEVER thought I would play (private): <cough> in the bathroom. I even, uh, bring it with me when I go to my work's HQ, drop the sound all the way down and play when I'm in the men's restroom at work. Yah baby!

Try some earbuds to enjoy that sound! I play in the restroom at work till my legs fall asleep :shock:

Seriously though...I don't have a lot of time for gaming anymore thanks to a newborn in the house, so portable gaming is the ONLY way I play now.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »

Handheld gaming has seriously cut into my read time, which I use to do prior to bed but now it's all DS Lite gaming.  And with these titles coming out in the next few months it's going to be grand:

Deep Labyrinth (DS)
Star Fox Command (DS)
MechAssault (DS)
Mario Hoops 3-on-3 (DS)
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (DS)
Pokemon Ranger (DS)
Final Fantasy III (DS)

I play the DS games I currently have (Animal Crossing, Top Spin 2 and Super Mario Brothers).  Unlike my X360 & PC games that I can't seem to get into anymore.

I play my DS Lite at work during lunch (sometimes in the afternoon with the sound turned off  :wink: ), before bed and when watching TV everytime a commercial comes on I flip open the DS and continue play.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:33:39 AM »

4. I play in places where I NEVER thought I would play (private): <cough> in the bathroom. I even, uh, bring it with me when I go to my work's HQ, drop the sound all the way down and play when I'm in the men's restroom at work. Yah baby!

I've got to quote this too so people can think about where some of these used handhelds have been when buying them!
Suddenly I feel all "Monk-ish" when I think about buying another used handheld!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:05 AM »

Mine has never been touched by poopy hands.  The NW hand is the only one that touches it until I've washed.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 06:47:40 PM »

Well, let's see, with:

Deep Labyrinth, Harvest Moon, Star Fox Command, Contact, Touch Detective, Scurge: Hive, Final Fantasy III & Zelda in the same week and the new Phoenix Wright all in the next 3 1/2 months, I'll be very busy. Today I played my DS in the office while waiting for a couple of people to change into their workout clothes. I've played it while waiting at the DMV and I play it at least a couple of times a day while at home. I looooooooove it.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 06:00:09 AM »

I NEVER had a handheld until about 2 or so years ago. I`m 30...`ish :wink: ! I got a GBA SP then and loved it, and traded up to the DS and love it. The wife and I both have one. I had a PSP but...not for me I guess.
Victoria Raverna

Auspiciousness, prosperity, and good fortune

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 07:42:33 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"
I can't portably game at all.  I've had a PSP (lost it somewhere when I moved) and currently have a DS.  They only get playtime when I'm on a plane or in an airport.  Otherwise, if I have time to game, I fire up the PC or 360.

gellar

+1. I still have both PSP and DS, but I rarely play them.

But that didn't stop me from purchasing DS Lite which I have only played with for about 10 minutes since I got it about 2 weeks ago.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: