http://gamingtrend.com
September 23, 2014, 10:49:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has Nintendo already lost this 'portable generation'?  (Read 2428 times)
Oxybeles
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2005, 02:30:25 PM »

While I own both a PSP and DS, I cannot definitely, beyond a reasonable doubt, support the claim that Nintendo has already lost this portable generation.

Aside from the possibility of a next generation GBA, which would be a conventional gaming device with the power and similar cost to compete directly with the PSP; the DS represents a clear departure from the mainstream videogame media's concept of what constitutes a hardcore gaming device.

The DS is aimed not only at the hardcore gamer, but is focused at those sectors that have not accepted videogaming. While a game like ElectroPlankton may never see a release in the US, I strongly believe that Nintendogs will be released globally. Hence, Nintendo is willing to take chances with creativity with unconventional products for audiences that are not normally thought of as hardcore videogamers.

Women love the touch screen! The demographics of the DS reflect a growing trend of women enjoying gaming. While the Kate and Ashley and Barbie games of old were an attempt to draw women into the videogaming environs, the DS released a date simulator globally!

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the PSP. Nothing better then being able to watch videos, listen to MP3s, and play a videogame like Lumines. However, I also gave a blast playing WarioWare Touched! and competing against others in Polarium.

While the PSP is clearly the technologically superior multimedia portable product, the DS is a videogaming device that will appeal to a broader videogaming audience.

As always, only time will tell.

Whatever I say falls on deaf ears!
Whatever I write is read by blinde eyes!
HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 03:11:02 PM »

Having both systems, and showing both systems to my nephews.. and anyone else who is interested. The PSP is the winner, for pure WOW factor. People look at the graphics and are floored. The system is sexy, there really is no comparison.

The DS is quirky fun as well, but Nintendo has FAILED AGAIN in maintaining interest in an interesting idea. The touch screen is a cool idea, but WHERE ARE THE GAMES!??!?!?!? There should have been some amazing games for the DS at the PSP launch DAMNIT NINTENDO BE COMPETITIVE WAKE UP. Phew, thats better.

I have NEVER (and I own them all) played a handheld system as much as I have played the PSP. To me, the system is a HOME RUN. If I had one complaint it is the overly glossy screen is too susceptable to fingerprints.

The battery life is ACCEPTABLE on both the DS and PSP to me, so that is not a concern.

Nintendo is in MAJOR trouble if they dont wake up as far as Im concerned, they are NOT out of the game YET, but if they dont impress us with their next handheld, the PSP 2 will trounce nintendo.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 03:14:28 PM »

I don't even ahve a PSP.  I have a DS, and haven't touched it literally in 2 months.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 03:38:39 PM »

THIRD PILLAR!!! THIRD PILLAR!!!11
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 05:49:47 PM »

Quote from: "Oxybeles"
While the PSP is clearly the technologically superior multimedia portable product, the DS is a videogaming device that will appeal to a broader videogaming audience.

Untrue.  Non-gamers will be drawn to the sheer aethestic beauty of a PSP long before they even consider opening the pencil-case plastic brick that is the DS.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Larraque

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:00:54 PM »

Nintendo hasn't lost this round. The GBA still has market share over the PSP. (I'm not going to even talk about the DS as I think of it as a gimmick) As far as hardcore gamers go, yes, the PSP is the clear winner.

The PSP has been out for what, 4 weeks now? Not a day has gone by that I haven't used mine. The battery life is outstanding - I get 5 hours of Lumines and Wipeout Pure out of it. I never use it to watch movies, but I like that it has the capability. Sometime in the future when the cost of the memory cards go down, I will have to get a bigger one. The USB cable functionality is really nice. I've used my PSP to show people photos on several occassions.

HOWEVER, the game library right now is weak on the PSP. There's no must have game IMO. Lumines is extremely innovative in game design (We distract you with pretty backgrounds and frequently change the way your eyes need to see the board, while mixing up the game speed) and is a must see for making an innovative challenge, and has tons of replayability. But it lacks in difficulty, and if you don't enjoy the music in the game then you simply won't enjoy the game.  

And then there's about 10 racing games, and a pile of sports games. There's not a whole lot else. New system euphoria aside, I acknowledge that the system needs more story based games, platformers like ratchet and clank, and it needs them in a big way. Untold Legends is a solid game, but it does not stand up over time to other games in the hack and slash genre on other systems. I know that these games take time and that they're on the way.

But it's far too early to declare the PSP the winner.  I predict that it will co-exist alongside the GBA or whatever non-gimmicky form the next version of the GBA takes, similar to how the PS2 and XBox co-exist. Neither system being a clear cut winner.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 07:16:19 PM »

Seeing how the DS still has sold more copies than the PSP (although it may not last much longer), I really fail to see how the DS has lost this round.

Oh, and someone remind me again how it is possible for any company to 'lose' the console/portable war if they are still making money hand over fist?

Honestly, I like both systems and lately have been playing both pretty equally.  I prefer the PSP hardware and games overall, but the DS is still a very nifty little system that has some killer games coming out for it.  This whole 'OMG PSP RULEZ PWNS NINTENDONT!!111~' mentality I see on discussion boards is childish.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 08:16:34 PM »

I won a Nintendo DS bundle (comes with Spiderman DS, case, etc).  I mainly use it to play GBA games as I haven't found any DS games that make me wanna spend my money.

Still, I spend less than 2 hours a week playing it.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:34:35 PM »

Quote from: "DragonFyre"
But [Lumines] lacks in difficulty, and if you don't enjoy the music in the game then you simply won't enjoy the game.

:shock:

Lacks in difficulty?  Have you tried unlocking 'Lights?'

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 08:46:49 PM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Seeing how the DS still has sold more copies than the PSP (although it may not last much longer), I really fail to see how the DS has lost this round.

Oh, and someone remind me again how it is possible for any company to 'lose' the console/portable war if they are still making money hand over fist?

Honestly, I like both systems and lately have been playing both pretty equally.  I prefer the PSP hardware and games overall, but the DS is still a very nifty little system that has some killer games coming out for it.  This whole 'OMG PSP RULEZ PWNS NINTENDONT!!111~' mentality I see on discussion boards is childish.

I will be happy to remind you, 'SEGA' Nintendo with a 70 million market penetration on the NES and now maybe 10? thats a slippery slope.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 09:58:56 PM »

Umm, and what was the competition like back then?  Oh yeah, there was not a lot - Sega and that's it.  Nintendo pretty much had a monopoly on the video game industry during that time, as anyone in the retail industry from the NES days will tell you (Nintendo's strongarm tactics on retailers are legendary).

Comparing the market now to the market 15 years ago isn't really an apples-to-apples comparison.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 10:42:49 PM »

Quote from: "HankRaptor"
The touch screen is a cool idea, but WHERE ARE THE GAMES!??!?!?!?

Quote from: "DragonFyre"
HOWEVER, the game library right now is weak on the PSP. There's no must have game IMO.

amen... this's definitely the #1 question i'm asking re: my 3-week old psp, tho i disagree, 'must have game' -wise (metal gear acid!)...

i still see the gba & ds being the platforms of choice for parents of younger kids, what with the price of the games & the 'delicacy' of the psp, & that's a sizable, dependable market. as gaming mainstreams, i think there's much room for both...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 11:35:24 PM »

The DS has only been out for four months now. I just looked at the release list for the PSP and it appears to be similarly barren in July and August. It takes awhile for a system to build a library. PS2 and Xbox releases were thin for the first year following their debuts. I’m not sure we can draw any conclusions about the DS or PSP just yet.

E3 will be the best indicator regarding which system developers are betting on. We already know that EA is betting heavily on the PSP, but it’s possible the big Japanese publishers could have stronger DS lineups. I think ultimately how things will shake out is that the PSP will have a strong library that appeals to hardcore gamers, while the DS will end up with a bigger library overall simply because its cheaper to make a game for the DS than the PSP. A lot of that library may be shovelware, however.

There’ll be room for both handhelds. The PSP is going to have a very well rounded lineup with a lot of PS2/Xbox franchises migrating to the platform. I think the DS has a real chance of carving out a niche for itself with Nintendo first party titles, strategy games, and FPSs.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »

Just chiming in to say I agree with everything Andrew said.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 12:10:52 PM »

Im not sure If I agree with what Andrew said.

The DS came out in December. Here we are in late April, and there really hasnt been a game released besides Warioware.

They need to wake up.

360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 12:36:48 PM »

I don't think it really matters to us if the Japanise produce more DS games than PSP, more if those games will ever reach the Western Hemisphere. I see some amazing looking RPGs being developed for the PSP, yet no mention if they will ever be released here.

Look at Tenchi no Mon, it looks amazing;

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0502/game050202c.shtml

We'll probably never see it. Along with Tales of Eternia, and I'm sure many more.

As for the DS, my wife is hooked. I've never seen her so interest in gaming before. Warioware, Mario 64's mini games and Yoshi all interest her. And when I was in Ireland for a month my mother and sister were also hooked. She says it's because the games are so easy to play, and she doesn't have to fight the controls.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 06:19:11 PM »

As I posted in my Wrap the other day, even though I'm the 'Gamecube Masta', it's my thought that Nintendo is now in absolutely serious trouble. Why?

When the N64 and Gamecube weren't performing up to Nintendo's expectations, they had their portable generation to fall back on. It was also the only thing out there, which is why they had like 95% of the portable market in their hands.

Now comes in the PSP. Compared to the DS, the PSP is the clear winner. PS2 like graphics (compared to N64 like graphics on the DS) and the ability to play MP3 and movies (even without having to purchase additional titles/hardware).

Yes, the DS has a far larger library (thanks to the GBA compatibility), and the touchscreen/double screen (that few developers short of Nintendo know what to do with the thing), but I see it failing due to the giant that is the PSP.

Nintendo needs a Gameboy that can compete with the PSP and now. They also need developer support, something that they have been losing for a while now.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 08:26:48 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"

Yes, the DS has a far larger library (thanks to the GBA compatibility), and the touchscreen/double screen (that few developers short of Nintendo know what to do with the thing), but I see it failing due to the giant that is the PSP.

Nintendo needs a Gameboy that can compete with the PSP and now. They also need developer support, something that they have been losing for a while now.

Hold on there- the PSP is no giant yet.  The DS continues to sell well, especially in Japan where it has an almost 2:1 lead over the PSP despite being launched at almost the same time.  

I think Nintendo has good developer support for DS.  They've really only lost 3rd parties in the home console arena.  Just about every major developer is supporting the DS with unique content.  What they need is to get more of that content out quicker.  

E3 will really lay out each platform's course.  Both PSP and DS current lineups are pretty barren but thats because almost no-one wants to make title/release announcement so close to E3.  After E3 we should have a pretty good line of what software we can expect for each system by the end of the year.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 08:32:09 PM »

You have forgotten that Nintendo have themselves kind of admitted that the DS is a gimmick. It's not intended to be a successor to the Game Boy, nor is it intended to compete with the PSP. Nintendo does still want to make money off it at least, so they got it out earlier, and tried to market it against the PSP. But it's not even their real weapon.

The next Game Boy, codenamed Evolution, is. Nintendo is counting on that to pwn the PSP, not the DS.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 10:06:54 PM »

I don't get the whole E3 thing. Why not tell us that something of interest is due for either platform now. Lets face it, E3 will be about the P3 and XBox 360. Anything else will relegated to lesser status. I'm kinda fed up having to wait for the one convention of the year for any news. It's like the way all the games get released before XMas and Easter.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2005, 10:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I don't get the whole E3 thing. Why not tell us that something of interest is due for either platform now. Lets face it, E3 will be about the P3 and XBox 360. Anything else will relegated to lesser status. I'm kinda fed up having to wait for the one convention of the year for any news. It's like the way all the games get released before XMas and Easter.

Unfortunately that's just the way the business works.  Once most companies finish their first quarter lineup they go into lockdown mode until E3 where they pretty much present  the lineup for the rest of the year as well as previewing products for the following year.  Outside of a few big magazine exclusives (Prey was recently revealed in PC Gamer) no major announcements are usually made in the two or three months prior to E3.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2005, 10:50:45 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I don't think it really matters to us if the Japanise produce more DS games than PSP, more if those games will ever reach the Western Hemisphere. I see some amazing looking RPGs being developed for the PSP, yet no mention if they will ever be released here.

Look at Tenchi no Mon, it looks amazing;

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0502/game050202c.shtml

i just did, & i wish i hadn't - now that's what i call a launch title (stupid untold legends!)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 11:00:38 PM »

IGN has some videos of Techi no Mon that look pretty good (well to me anyway)

http://psp.ign.com/objects/683/683117.html
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2005, 04:11:05 AM »

Ick, I hate these threads, but I still post... :wink: . I have both and love both, in fact I just charged both so tomarrow night the wife and I can play both. Both, both, both, both, both. They are each unique in their own way. I`m starting to wonder why people are so "into" bashing other brands etc. I like both because are both good products. Not for any other reason. In fact, that`s all I`m saying. I`m done repeating myself everytime there`s one of these threads. :wink:
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2005, 07:22:59 AM »

Hear hear!  I just got back from a road trip with a friend from Sacramento back here to San Diego.  It was a 9 hour drive puncuated with a bunch of Krispy Kreme wireless gaming stops where we enjoyed the hell out of Untold Legends and Tony Hawk on the PSP, and Asphalt GT and Metroid on the DS.

Both are great systems, both currently have a tiny lineup that still contains great games, both have a ton of new games coming down the pike (and let me remind you that the DS has a much bigger list of announced games than the PSP at this point), and more importantly both are making their companies a lot of dough - meaning support for either isn't going away anytime soon.

Side note: I hadn't played Metroid since the DS launched a long time ago - man, I forgot how much I'm looking forward to the final version of that game!  FPS control is just so darn nice on the DS....

Second side note: Untold Legends is really starting to grow on me, although I just now realized how many freaking teleport points I've missed.  I think I'm screwed...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2005, 05:31:36 PM »

Would you buy a PSP for a ten-year-old? No? Then no matter what happens, there will be a market for Nintendo handhelds that Sony cannot touch.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:11 PM »

Quote from: "adamsappel"
Would you buy a PSP for a ten-year-old? No?

Why not?  Price?  If I'm not going to spend $250 on a PSP for junior, I won't spend $150 on a DS either.
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2005, 06:37:59 PM »

I'm sure there are many parents, however, who do see the cost difference as a benefit. Beyond saving $100 (or $180 in the SP's case), I doubt there's a single middle-class parent who picks up a PSP and thinks it's a good choice for their child to play with. It feels like a Faberge Egg. And the game selection isn't exactly kid-oriented, either.

Actually, I did see a mother buying her ~11 year old a PSP in Best Buy the other day. She stocked up on all the kiddie games (Mercury, Metal Gear Acid, Wipeout Pure, Dynasty Warriors - he's going to have a blast with those!). She held firm on not buying him Kill Bill, though. After all, she said he already had the DVD.

Whether the DS is a gimmick (it is, but I like gimmicks) doesn't matter, Nintendo's products are still the only logical choice for parents to buy for their kids.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: