http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 05:18:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Takedown (was Hardcore Tactical Shooter Kickstarter)  (Read 614 times)
Hrothgar
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2012, 04:37:23 AM »

Yes, another one.  This one is a CQB Tactical Shooter from a former Ghost Recon developer.  

This game will get back to the core of what is loved about the tac-shooter, featuring realistic weapon modeling, outfitting and commanding your squad, objective-based, non-linear missions set in real-world locations around the world, single player, co-op, and multiplayer.

I'm not sure it will get funded given the slow start, but I'm willing to put some money behind it.

Here's the link.

They're also looking for people work on crowd sourced parts of the project (maps, models, etc.)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 03:36:06 AM by Hrothgar » Logged

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 04:24:58 PM »

I can't see this working out too well. This kind of game isn't well suited to community funding since the amount of money needed to make it sufficiently good is a lot higher than what Kickstarter has done so far, and we're already flooded with FPS-games. I can't imagine how they're planning to make this with so little money.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 04:21:43 AM »

Well, the game is now called Takedown.  However, they're down to the last two days and are just closing in on three quarters of their requested funding.  Of course, none of the money goes in if they don't make their goal.  They've done a ton of updates trying to drum up support, but perhaps there really isn't a market for a hardcore tactical shooter anymore.  Sad kitty would be sad if Activision is right.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

frost
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:43:23 AM »

unless i'm reading it wrong, it looks like they made it about 7 hours ago.

Not the game.  just the funding goal.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:23:57 AM »

Quote from: frost on April 02, 2012, 06:43:23 AM

unless i'm reading it wrong, it looks like they made it about 7 hours ago.

Not the game.  just the funding goal.

What, really? I must admit I hadn't expected that. Last I checked, less than a day from the deadline, they were still at about 80%. Glad to see that they made it though, even if I didn't contribute. Goes to show just how important those last few hours of Kickstarters can be.
Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:11 PM »

I admit I still don't understand the funding they're planning.  They posted this on the update page:

Next, we have lots of meetings with investors in the next few weeks.  The great news is that the attention paid to the Kickstarter project has drawn the attention of multiple different investor groups, so instead of a few as we had before, now can shop around for the best deal with the understanding that they will allow us to make the kind of game we know you want.  In fact I am flying out tomorrow to meet with one.

Cheers,
Hrothgar

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »

Yeah, it's like they took the Kickstarter money just as a form of marketing to get an investor deal? 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »

That's not a bad idea, honestly. I know it sort of runs counter to the Kickstarter "ideal", but why not shop around for more funding if you want to make a bigger game? As long as they follow through on all their pledges, I don't see a problem with them taking additional money.

(That said, if they do take additional money and they're part of the 'kick-forward' campaign or whatever it's called, I hope they take 5% of all profits, not just some percentage based on Kickstarter's involvement versus investor involvement).

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

As long as its a silent investor I don't see any problem with that. If they start using their funding support to pressure the design though, like too many of the asshat publishers we know, that wouldn't be cool. I didn't see this before they achieved the funding goal, but I'm a big fan of such games so I'm looking forward to this. I share the concerns of others though, that such games are usually costly to make if done right, so I'm remaining cautiously optimistic about it.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 06:05:44 PM »

That they were shopping for investors was something I picked up before they finished their Kickstarter campaign. I got the impression that they were open about it. Speaking from personal experience when trying to get investors for a game I was making a few years ago, it seemed every investor I spoke to wanted to know if there were other investors or money involved. It's their way of judging the potential of a game before they start investing into it. If you don't have a working prototype of the game, a substantial source of money, or a very famous name in the industry, you're not getting any new investors in this business. It can be frustrating.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: