http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 07:24:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy 6th birthday Dreamcast!  (Read 2056 times)
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2005, 11:26:44 AM »

I know I run the risk of summoning U2K by posting this but I don't care.

Happy 6th birthday Dreamcast!  I remember the launch on 9/9/99 so clearly.  I wanted one but couldn't afford it at the time.  When I did finally get one I was so blown away by Soul Calibur, Powerstone 1/2, Skies of Arcadia, Dead or Alive 2, Metropolis Street Racer, Resident Evil: Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi and on and on.

God what a great system!
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 12:10:33 PM »

Yeah, I think the Dreamcast will be in everyone's mind for a long time.  The writing was on the wall on 9/9/1999 though simply because EA was not on the list of developers and ended up never being one.  The Dreamcast was really a great system that just didn't have the support to stand up to the PS2 when it came out.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:14:56 PM »

Soul Calibur didn't leave my Dreamcast for weeks man....wow what a great system.  I got a pair (still have em too, anyone interested in buying em off me?) of the big arcade sticks for the DC and the wife and I would square off in SC constantly.  Good times, good times. (Other than the fact that I was working at EB at the time. *shudder*

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:42:23 PM »

I never had a dreamcast and never played one.

The way everyone talks about it, sounds like I missed something...

Of course I was eyelid deep in computer gaming and couldn't have cared less then...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »

Can someone explain to me why everyone seems to worship the Dreamcast???  Looking at the games today, like Soul Calibur, which gets high praise on the Dreamcast, the graphics exceed those that were on the Dreamcast.  In addition, those monstrous saucer-like controllers looked incredibly unwieldy.  I never owned a Dreamcast so I'm just curious. smile

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
warning

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 01:47:18 PM »

I found the controller really easy to handle but I've got freakishly big hands.

The biggest thing the Dreamcast had going was its graphics.  The jump from the Nintendo 64 and Playstation to the Dreamcast was nothing short of astounding.  The PS2 and others obviously look much better than the DC but seeing Soul Calibur running for the first time was breathtaking.  That game basically sold the system for most people at launch.  And to be honest Soul Calibur 2 doesn't really look that much better than the first considering it came out 4 whole years earlier.

Besides Soul Calibur the system had some of the best fighting games, racing games and sports games out there.  I'd kill for a Powerstone sequel or even a remake.
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 01:52:56 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I found the controller really easy to handle but I've got freakishly big hands.

The biggest thing the Dreamcast had going was its graphics.  The jump from the Nintendo 64 and Playstation to the Dreamcast was nothing short of astounding.  The PS2 and others obviously look much better than the DC but seeing Soul Calibur running for the first time was breathtaking.  That game basically sold the system for most people at launch.  And to be honest Soul Calibur 2 doesn't really look that much better than the first considering it came out 4 whole years earlier.

Besides Soul Calibur the system had some of the best fighting games, racing games and sports games out there.  I'd kill for a Powerstone sequel or even a remake.

I still think the graphics on the Dreamcast look somewhat better than on the PS2.  Less muddy it seems. *shrug*

Plus the Dreamcast had Seaman, that was a freakishly weird game.  Shenmue also launched on the Dreamcast and that was a great, immersive game.

The analog triggers made it perfect for driving games.  Not to mention the copy protection was a huge joke.  :lol:  Still, I went back and purchased some of the games I...obtained.  Virtua Tennis 2K2 was excellent.
Sudy Nym
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 02:40:08 PM »

Quote from: "ChaoZ"
I still think the graphics on the Dreamcast look somewhat better than on the PS2. Less muddy it seems. *shrug*

I agree. That's something I always thought, too.

I enjoyed my time with my Dreamcast. I logged many hours with Skies of Arcadia, Shenmue, NBA 2K1, and Unreal Tournament. What else was there? Legacy of Kain, Grandia 2, Tony Hawk, Worms World Party, Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

I guess I spent a whole spring/summer with it, thinking back. But then I bought my PS2, and soon got my P4. ;P
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 03:46:20 PM »

Ah, yes.  I remember rushing home after work to pick up my Dreamcast preorder.  Good times.

And I agree that DC games had at least equivalent graphics to much of the PS2's library... while I realize I'm comparing the original with a port, the DC version of Resident Evil Code: Veronica looks much better than the PS2 version, for example.
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 04:17:54 PM »

Tech Romancer is still one of my all-time greatest games.....regardless of the system.

Then there was the slew of 2D shooters.......

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Qbe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 06:55:31 PM »

Happy birthday, DC.

I got my first Dreamcast in the summer of 2003 and play it regularly.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »

Go DC!! I guess the General forgot to come by to worship the DC today or something eh? smile

ANyways, I got the DC a couple weeks after launch, and although I love the controller, the graphics it could put out at the time, I always found it very short on games I wanted to play. I still have mine somewhere, but it is never played, probably because when all was said and done there were only about a half dozen titles I really enjoyed on the system. Still, I wish it had lasted longer.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2005, 08:17:25 PM »

And on the anniversary of the Dreamcast we are seeing a lot of Sega news.  First up is the next gen Sonic game.  There wasn't supposed to be any video of it, but here is a shaky cam video of the game supposedly running on Xbox 360 hardware.

Next up is that there is evidently a Seaman 2 being worked on...yep, you read that right!

There is also another Sonic game coming for current gen systems called Sonic Riders, a cross between extreme sports, running and head-to-head battles.

I know many people didn't like the Sonic Adventure games, but I thought they were pretty darn good.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2005, 08:30:10 PM »

I'm dying for a U2K joke.

Maybe he took the day off, it being a religious holiday and all.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2005, 01:10:46 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
I'm dying for a U2K joke.

Maybe he took the day off, it being a religious holiday and all.

My gut feeling is that he's "gone", but it it's under the radar. For now its just a feeling though.
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2005, 03:41:11 PM »

I loved/love my DC. I still have mine hooked up. Its great to be able to still get games for it for a few dollars a piece. I still think that Soul Calibur and DOA2 on the DC stand up graphically to most things on the PS2 and Xbox especially considering when the games were released.

So sad the DC didnt survive the console wars.
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2005, 04:25:14 PM »

Quote from: "Starshifter"
Can someone explain to me why everyone seems to worship the Dreamcast???  Looking at the games today, like Soul Calibur, which gets high praise on the Dreamcast, the graphics exceed those that were on the Dreamcast.  In addition, those monstrous saucer-like controllers looked incredibly unwieldy.  I never owned a Dreamcast so I'm just curious. smile

Innovation.  I can't think of a single system where the developers were so dedicated to pushing and refining the boundaries of gameplay.  Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and Samba de Amigo immediately spring to mind in a sea of worthy titles.  This innovation stood out at a time when everyone else was concerned about making things prettier while churning out more of the same.  It also didn't hurt that SEGA had a habit of turning out some of the most infectious titles around.  For me, playing games on the Dreamcast was like being a kid again, back when the NES was a wonderous device with infinite potential... not the calculated and corporatized behemoth the industry has become.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2005, 05:39:19 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
Quote from: "Starshifter"

Innovation.  I can't think of a single system where the developers were so dedicated to pushing and refining the boundaries of gameplay.  Crazy Taxi, Seaman, Virtua Tennis, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia, and Samba de Amigo immediately spring to mind in a sea of worthy titles.  This innovation stood out at a time when everyone else was concerned about making things prettier while churning out more of the same.  It also didn't hurt that SEGA had a habit of turning out some of the most infectious titles around.  For me, playing games on the Dreamcast was like being a kid again, back when the NES was a wonderous device with infinite potential... not the calculated and corporatized behemoth the industry has become.

This deserves a +1. This is what I was thinking last night but didnt say well. The innovation really is what I loved-it was just not enough games!
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2005, 08:51:35 PM »

I miss the old Sega marketing campaigns.  "Sega does what Nintendon't."

I was so sad when my Seaman died. crybaby

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Zekester

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2005, 09:53:46 PM »

not the calculated and corporatized behemoth the industry has become.

'Calculated' being the key word here........and in other words, ball-less.

Sega had balls.

I am....Migaloo
Rest in Peace, Nan & Star
XBL Schins67
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 12:56:22 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
I miss the old Sega marketing campaigns.  "Sega does what Nintendon't."

I was so sad when my Seaman died. crybaby

Nintendon't. Hahaha. That made my evening  Cool
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2005, 04:27:06 AM »

Soul Reaver! What a great game - controls, graphics, gameplay, everything.  
One of my all time favorites.

And I have small hands, but that controller - as giant and ugly as it appears, is really very comfortable, intuitive, and extremely light, too.

I have two DC's set up and the only problem I've ever had is the lack of support for inverted play in many of the games.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2005, 05:18:49 AM »

Quote from: "mytocles"
I have two DC's set up and the only problem I've ever had is the lack of support for inverted play in many of the games.

One's mine!  I miss my Dreamcast.

I think I'll have to re-buy one someday.  *sniff*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: