http://gamingtrend.com
September 17, 2014, 04:10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hands-On Playtest with Oblivion - New Pics!  (Read 1762 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005, 09:58:50 PM »

There is a very large hands-on/playtest of Oblivion in the new PC Gamer that is just getting to subscribers now. It's written by Desslock.

Here are some quotes:

"...and judging from my experience, they (the quests) offer more depth than the "FedEx" or "kill so-and-so" quests handed out in most RPGs.  In one Dark Broterhood quest, for example, I infiltrated a dinner party and used various means to isolate and eliminate guests one at a time.  The remaining guests dynamically reacted to the assassinations - accusing each other or equipping themselves for battle."

In a change from its predecessors, Oblivion doesn't offer the ability to fly or levitate, which means that it'll be impossible to fly up to get a better look at this tower.  But that also means there will be no more annoying cliffracers.

When I later decided to explore the cult-like, insular community of Hackdirt, one of the smaller settlements that dot the landscape, I found the populace gathered at their local church.  Angered by the frosty reception I recieved, I tossed their holy book aside and gave the priest a knuckle sandwich.  As expected, most of the citizens rallied to defend their preacher, but I was suprised to see one unarmed citizen bolt out the door.  Once I had worn out my welcome, I casually left the church...  Unfortunately for me, I stumbled across another change from Morrowind - NPCs will now follow you through loading zones.  The cultists didn't abandon their chase, and more amazing, the "coward" who fled the church returned brandishing a sword retrieved from his home."

When I wandered into a crypt that happened to be a vampire lair - yes, you can choose to become a vampire - I was amazed at the intelligent tactics of its undead denizens.  When they detected my presence, which I could have avoided if I took advantage of Oblivion's stealth system, they cast an invisibility spell and surrounded me before launching a suprise attack.

Enemies are challenging and act intelligently in battle.  As in Daggerfall (but not Morrowind), creatures and items you encounter are automatically balanced to your level.  So, for instance, you can't just grab an overpowered Daedric sword by sneaking into a high-level dungeon.

No flying/levitating is lame...but the rest sounds pretty good. Now just get the Xbox 360 version's graphical glitches under control so you can ship the game already!  Tongue

What you guys want some new pics? Oh...ok....

I don't know how long these are going to last...so get em while they are hot!

There are 3 more pages of new pics and info....but you will have to buy the magazine to see 'em!   :wink:

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
TomAEG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »

Looks amazing.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005, 12:20:51 AM »

Holy mother of crap...

I'm more and more amazed each and every time I see another preview for this fantastic looking game. I just hope it lives up to all the hype (and from what I'm reading, it will).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005, 12:41:56 AM »

Here is one more page for ya all... smile

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 02:52:34 AM »

Cool dryad looking humanoid.  I'm more excited about test driving the radiant AI than I am about actually playing the storyline smile
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 03:17:34 AM »

Stop making me want this game so badly! I'm going insane here.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 03:34:25 AM »

My God...this game will rule my world for many months it seems.  I also suspect they'll have me buying it twice - once for the 360 to play with my family, and once for the PC to play with the creation system.  I'm comfortable with that....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 05:02:27 AM »

I wonder what the multiplayer will be like (if any)...

Also, did anyone else twig to the mention that item drops would fit to your level? If so, what's your opinion on that?

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005, 05:35:42 AM »

First thing I do when I get the game is I'm going to load up the construction kit, create my own city and use it as a sandbox for radiant AI interactions.

Treating the game like Sim Fantasy Town would be kinda neat.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005, 01:16:57 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
My God...this game will rule my world for many months it seems.  I also suspect they'll have me buying it twice - once for the 360 to play with my family, and once for the PC to play with the creation system.  I'm comfortable with that....

What's scary is that I might do that myself. Know I don't have to worry about things like framerate and whatnot on the 360 version, and have all the mods in the world with the PC one.

I wonder how much vacation time I'll burn with this game...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2005, 02:22:03 PM »

Quote from: "Atragon"
I wonder what the multiplayer will be like (if any)...

The Elder Scrolls games do not have multiplayer.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2005, 08:25:25 PM »

Yeah there will be no multiplayer. Funny story, I remember when Desslock was in the area playing the game, because Kathode called me one night and were just bullshitting and he just mentioned that some RPG writer guy had been in the office playing Oblivion for a couple days and that he absolutely loved the game. Needless to say we figured out that I knew who Desslock is and now that this preview has come out, it appears that he really did love the game smile

Ok not so much funny as just a story. So there!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 01:08:06 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
Yeah there will be no multiplayer. Funny story, I remember when Desslock was in the area playing the game, because Kathode called me one night and were just bullshitting and he just mentioned that some RPG writer guy had been in the office playing Oblivion for a couple days and that he absolutely loved the game. Needless to say we figured out that I knew who Desslock is and now that this preview has come out, it appears that he really did love the game smile

Ok not so much funny as just a story. So there!

Name dropper! Tongue  

Desslock loved both Gothic games, and was a little critical of Morrowind for not having NPCs follow a schedule or seem believable in their actions.  If he's excited about his time spent playing Oblivion, that's a good sign.
unbreakable
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 01:31:28 AM »

Meh.  I played Arena and Daggerfall, they were ok for their time, but were REALLY boring.  I finished Arena, but Daggerfall was brutal.  I kinda gave up on Bethesda, but a friend suckered me into getting Battlespire so we could play multiplayer.

Ah, the joys of falling off the world!  Battlespire was really bad.  I was actually tempted to play it later for some reason, but I have no idea what I did with it.  Maybe it fell off the world.

Redgard had me tempted, and boy am I glad I resisted.  That made Morrowind very easy to pass up.

So, maybe I'll be a sucker and try out Oblivion.  Bethesda hasn't scammed me of money for a long time, so maybe they are due.  Although I did get my brother PotC for a gift.  Maybe I *should* resist.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2005, 01:39:00 AM »

Quote from: "unbreakable"
Redgard had me tempted, and boy am I glad I resisted. That made Morrowind very easy to pass up.

Redguard was awesome and it's a hugely underrated game IMO.  Best Elder Scrolls game of them all.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2005, 01:50:50 AM »

Yeah, I loved Redguard. I still have the CD here on my desk. Great game.

I also loved Daggerfall. Arena was alright, but it's not great.

I never played Battlespire, the bad reviews scared me off.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2005, 03:32:10 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "unbreakable"
Redgard had me tempted, and boy am I glad I resisted. That made Morrowind very easy to pass up.

Redguard was awesome and it's a hugely underrated game IMO.  Best Elder Scrolls game of them all.

Never tried that one actually.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2005, 05:34:36 AM »

Redguard is pretty good, actually, though it has elements of platforming.  I'd call it a cross between an RPG/Adventure and a platform game, but in a good way and not at all like Ulitma 8.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2005, 03:18:20 PM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Redguard is pretty good, actually, though it has elements of platforming.  I'd call it a cross between an RPG/Adventure and a platform game, but in a good way and not at all like Ulitma 8.

Now if I could get it to work in XP.

Redguard also has one of the best manuals ever.  The guide to the world and all of the countries is great reading.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2005, 04:02:42 PM »

Doesn't Redguard require a 3dfx card to run, or did they patch it to allow for OpenGL and Direct3D support?

And I've always wanted to try Morrowind. If you have the rig to play it, is it a "better" experience on the PC?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2005, 06:01:25 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Doesn't Redguard require a 3dfx card to run, or did they patch it to allow for OpenGL and Direct3D support?

IIRC, Redguard had a non-accelerated mode but, yeah, if you wanted 3D acceleration then it was through Glide.  I think I've read that people have since got it to run on Direct3D cards using a Glide Wrapper.  

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Redguard also has one of the best manuals ever. The guide to the world and all of the countries is great reading.

I loved how the map looked all ragged down to the burn marks around the edges.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: