http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 08:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halp! Think I may have a glitch in Professor Layton!  (Read 1051 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2008, 04:50:56 AM »

Okay, so lots of times in this game you say "No Way" and "I had it right!" etc... only to find out that it was just a puzzle with a trick to it.  But I was certain I had the right answer on #098, asked a friend who was also certain, but kept getting it wrong.  I finally looked it up in a walkthrough, and I had the same answer that was given.  I checked several others, same result.

Is it possible I didn't fulfill some other requirement prior to attempting the puzzle? Or is it a true glitch? I'll put it all in a spoiler, and if anyone has already solved it, and gets the same answer - or has a clue to what else could be wrong, please Haaaalllp!

Spoiler for Hiden:
It's puzzle 098, you have a joker and four aces of different suits you've placed randomly.  Then you must follow rules to re-arrange them to solve the puzzle: Club is immediately to the right of the Heart;  neither Diamond nor Joker is next to the Spade; neither Joker nor Diamond is next to the Club;  neither Diamond nor Spade is next to the Heart.

The name of it is "Card Order" and you get it from Martha in the Tower - and you can't bypass it, she won't let you go farther into the tower until you solve it.  I chose (left to right) Diamond, Joker, Heart, Club, Spade, which is what every walkthrough I found said it was also!  mad

I've solved as many as I've needed to get into the Tower, though I'm a few shy of 100 solved - is it possible I need 100 solved, or I missed something somewhere that needs doing before I can get to the top of the Tower?  If it's a glitch, I'm screwed, because I've tried entering the answer multiple times, tried backtracking and re-approaching it, and turned the DS off and back on about 20 times, lol.  My next aim is to "Climb the Tower" which I can't continue to do without solving this puzzle.

I hope this is a really stupid question - with a simple answer - or else I'm probably done playing it!  crybaby

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Moatman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:16:35 AM »

I didn't have any trouble with that, honestly the only thing I can think of is you are confusing a club with a spade.  A club has the 3 rounded things on top, the spade is the black upside down heart kinda and has a point.  Beyond that I've got no idea, sorry.

Edit: Ok, I looked it up and the most common reason for not completing it is you need the cards on the table, not down next to the submit button:)  Otherwise, check out http://professorlaytonwalkthrough.blogspot.com/2008/02/puzzle098.html for any further help, but I'm guessing it's just the table thing after seeing all the people with the same issue.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:21:28 AM by Moatman » Logged
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

Quote from: Moatman on May 01, 2008, 07:16:35 AM

the only thing I can think of is you are confusing a club with a spade. 

Here's a handy guide:

A club:

A spade:

Better?
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:44:05 PM »

LOL...why wouldn't you show him a card face with the club and the spade on it?:

Club:

Spade:

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

And that is why I love this forum!  LMAO, I got the likely answer (nooooo, not the club vs. spade issue, but I did NOT put the cards on the table, d'oh!) - along with a whoop-load of guffawing.  I'm GMAO'ing, as I type!

I just woke up because I stayed up half the night backtracking until I had 100 puzzles solved, just in case, but my DS is right here next to my coffee... update soon!

icon_razz

Oh, and btw, I'm a "her" not a "him" - shocking I know, probably down to the last female present, unless someone is hiding...  nod

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 03:33:35 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on May 01, 2008, 03:22:55 PM

Oh, and btw, I'm a "her" not a "him" - shocking I know, probably down to the last female present, unless someone is hiding...  nod

I actually know that because we've chatted playing FFXI together.  However, I didn't pay attention to who originally posted, and so didn't put a "her" there.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 03:34:27 PM »

hiya myto,hows it going?
i havent even heard of Professor Layton..what is it another of those brain training games for the DS?

PS..once my PC gets fixed Myto(this weekend hopefully),can you send me an email to the usual address,as all my contacts have been wiped due to me not being on hotmail for so long..which is wierd

and i think Kathode is a girl,at least i was under the impression she was..sorry if not
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:36:18 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 04:00:14 PM »

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU - AND ummm - THANK YOU!   Tongue

Yuppers, that did it, lol.  The game wouldn't let me pummel Martha half to death though, which is what I really wanted to do.

The sad thing is, I checked seven or eight sites and never found one that said people were having problems on that puzzle.  Worse than that, I actually thought of the idea of trying to put the cards in place, but either forgot or (hopefully) didn't think of it until I'd shut the DS off.  Double D'oh!   saywhat

I actually know that because we've chatted playing FFXI together.  However, I didn't pay attention to who originally posted, and so didn't put a "her" there.

Grue, what was your FFXI name? I lost the brain-links of who was who there.  icon_frown

Metal, heya!  Yeah there is another thread here about the game (http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,24870.0.html) and info from the Front Page (http://www.gamingtrend.com/GameInfo/GameInfo.php?GameID=5470)
I don't much care for the Brain Training type games, this one is a lot more fun, IMO.  There is a story, two characters working their way through a mysterious village, cool music and artwork, and puzzles to solve as you go.  But there is no time limit, you can find "hint coins" to use on the tougher puzzles, up to three hints per puzzle. I really like it a lot, even though it has made me feel rather stupid at times - but, also, smarter than I probably am at other times, so it evens out.

(Metal, send me a PM next week if you don't see an email from me, also my email address is here too - because you of all people know about my infamous memory, or lack thereof!  icon_razz)

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on May 01, 2008, 04:00:14 PM

Grue, what was your FFXI name? I lost the brain-links of who was who there.  icon_frown

It was probably either Laean or Aakmer as I name all my MMO characters one of those two.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2008, 10:09:17 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 01, 2008, 03:34:27 PM

i havent even heard of Professor Layton..what is it another of those brain training games for the DS?

It's essentially a collection of brainteasers, but they are tied together with a fun mystery plot.
I really enjoy puzzle games with a narrative, where there's some context for what you are doing.
The game also has a lot of charm to it.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 01:21:26 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on May 01, 2008, 10:09:17 PM

Quote from: metallicorphan on May 01, 2008, 03:34:27 PM

It's essentially a collection of brainteasers, but they are tied together with a fun mystery plot.
I really enjoy puzzle games with a narrative, where there's some context for what you are doing.
The game also has a lot of charm to it.

It's also got a ton of incredible animated cutscenes in a European style, and an overall charming visual look to the static screens to match.  Great voices, too, especially for something on the DS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: