http://gamingtrend.com
July 29, 2014, 07:05:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo - What am I missing?  (Read 2037 times)
NetGuy
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 12:42:15 AM »

I've never played a Halo game and for some reason, I've recently become curious about what all the hype was about, so when I saw Halo: Reach cheap, I picked it up and I've been working my way though the the single player campaign on heroic.  I'm about 4 chapters in... and this game just isn't grabbing me.  

The weapons are pretty fun, and the firefights are intense and fun enough (even if the weapons do lack "punch" and firefights themselves seem to lack a visceral appeal that is found in most other modern shooters), but the enemies and environments are pretty boring.  Furthermore, the "story" is pretty bad, even for an FPS, and I'm constantly finding myself at a loss as to what my objective is, where I'm going, what I'm supposed to be doing or why I should care.   Nothing about the world or who I'm fighting is explained to me, I have no idea what the different enemy types are or which ones are dangerous, or have certain weaknesses, or whatever.  Some of this is undoubtedly because I'm jumping into the 5th or 6th game in the series, but it still could have done a better job of accounting for this and explaining things to newbies like me.

Also,  I'm constantly running out of ammunition for some of my favorite guns and finding myself having to ditch them in favor of alien weapons which don't seem to be nearly as fun or effective.   I'm not sure if I'm just wasting too many shots because I'm not used to shooting with a controller, or if I'm missing ammo caches or something, or if the game is just this stingy with ammunition refills.

One thing that this game does extremely well is checkpoint.  It checkpoints a LOT.  Sometimes I'm just crouching behind cover in the middle of a firefight and it checkpoints for no reason I can discern.   Since the firefights in this game can get pretty intense it's nice that I'm rarely out more than a few seconds of progress when I die.  

I know Halo is a flagship series for the Xbox and is hugely popular game, but I'm failing to see why.   I certainly don't hate the game or anything, I'm having a decent time with it, but from what I can see it's a pretty substandard shooter and I'm wondering why my opinion seems so different than that of so many other gamers.

Is Halo living off of it's reputation since it was really the first/best implementation of a shooter on consoles when the original came out?  Is multiplayer the source of all the hype?  Or am I simply missing something and not giving Halo Reach's single player the respect and admiration that it deserves?  This is the first shooter I've attempted to play on consoles, so that might be some of it, although I'm not really struggling with the controls or anything, my complaints are almost all related to game design, storytelling or overall execution.  

Finally, any gameplay tips you can give me to fill in some of the blanks I have?  
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 12:44:20 AM by NetGuy » Logged
Harkonis
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 01:16:50 AM »

I love shooters, I hate Halo.  I can't tell you why people love it so much.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 02:15:14 AM »

I like the music, art direction, and story. I've never been too fond of the gameplay itself.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »

I like it, always been so-so on the single player, but the MP is in the vein of Unreal Tournament, which I enjoy more than the MW/COD style multi-player.

As for weapons... go for the needler if you're grabbing alien weapons. Generally there are largely equivalent ones in there, but with slight differneces in use that take some getting used to.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 04:02:29 AM »

Reach is by far the worst game to start with - even I had a hard time enjoying it.

Halo: Combat Evolved is fantastic. Go with that. Also, it's out this week for a native 360 experience. biggrin
I highly recommend playing co-op. That is the best way, IMHO, to consume Halo.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 06:26:53 AM »

While I agree that they should have more of the story in the actual game, this may help.  GameTrailers just did a four part retrospective on the series.  The first three deal with the history of the games themselves, while the fourth (linked) deals with the story (with some spoilers if that's an issue.)  It's enough to at least let you know what's going on. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 01:31:14 PM »

I thought Reach was pretty excellent (ODST is by far the worst, IMO).  Even though it's a prequel, a lot of the impact of the story and setting come from what you know having played the other games.

First of all, Halo Anniversary is coming out this week.  Start with that.  However, while Halo has a story, it doesn't come at you in the way a Modern Warfare game would.  There's a lot of flow and atmosphere to the game.  If you play for enough, it'll just click.

The ammo thing has always been an issue with Halo.  It used to frustrate the hell out of me, but it's really by design that sometimes you're just going to have to run around with a needler.  There will be a good gun around a corner up ahead, though, you just have to look for it.  This is another part of the flow of the game.  Once you get into its rhythm, you realize the ammo and weapons are placed pretty well.

Halo is a great game to start with as far as FPS consoles go, since it was the one to get it right.

So go get Halo Anniversary, and try to put yourself in the mindset of the period.  Even with the enhanced graphics, it'll be a little behind the times.  There are moments that were astoundingly cool at the time, that won't seem as special now (seeing that ring world; the first time you saw a dropship come in, and a handful of enemies you had to fight came out; getting in a warthog), but it's still a pretty great game.

But, yeah, multiplayer is a huge part of its success.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 02:05:54 PM »

Quote from: Harkonis on November 14, 2011, 01:16:50 AM

I love shooters, I hate Halo.  I can't tell you why people love it so much.

+1.

The big deal about halo is it basically was the first to successfully transition FPS to consoles.

The COD series has done a much better job with controls overall, imo.

That said, the MP of halo is fun but VERy repetitive.  Also the writing in the campaigns is just awful.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 02:18:59 PM »

Think of it as the Angry Birds of console shooters.  It's easily accessible, enough of a household name for the general population to feel comfortable buying it and talking about it, and although it's not the best at anything in its genre, it's good enough for people to not know any better.
Scraper
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on November 14, 2011, 02:18:59 PM

Think of it as the Angry Birds of console shooters.  It's easily accessible, enough of a household name for the general population to feel comfortable buying it and talking about it, and although it's not the best at anything in its genre, it's good enough for people to not know any better.

I agree with this. It's the Madden of the FPS world. Except it has competition.

" And they are a strong and frightening force, impervious to, and immunized against, the feeble lance of mere reason." Isaac Asimov
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 02:42:34 PM »

Wow. 10 years ago if someone compared Halo to a flash game, nerd-rage would have destroyed them.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 02:48:43 PM »

Even today, saying that someone liking it doesn't know any better comes off as a little jaded.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 02:57:32 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on November 14, 2011, 02:48:43 PM

Even today, saying that someone liking it doesn't know any better comes off as a little jaded.

These are huge generalities I'm talking in here, and anyone in this forum is automatically excluded from the population I'm talking about by nature of caring enough about gaming to be in a gaming forum.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

Quote from: Purge on November 14, 2011, 04:02:29 AM

Reach is by far the worst game to start with - even I had a hard time enjoying it.

This

I don't think Reach had an interesting story at all in fact it was incredibly boring,but the worse thing about it is that the story could of been the most interesting of the series

Reach was one of my biggest disappointments of last year

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Blackhawk
Gaming Trend Reader

?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 03:42:52 PM »

Ya know, I enjoy Halo.  After reading this thread last night, I woke up this morning and sat there trying to figure out why it is that I like it so much.

Part of it is my kids.  They think it is the greatest thing ever.  Every present giving day for the past two years has involved Halo Mega Bloks sets (think Lego.)

Then I think I hit on it, why it is that it appeals to me.  Halo is like Star Wars.  It isn't complex.  The plot isn't amazing.  The characters aren't deep with complex motivations, and yet the thing still goes down smooth.  In a day and age when games either try to be dark, gritty, and shocking (and usually come off cheesy because of it) or try to stuff convoluted plots with deep moral issues into a setting that doesn't support it, it is nice, sometimes, to have a simple white hats vs black hats, save the world type game.

Of course, it helps if you've played the series from the beginning and seen the background being built up as you go.  For instance, knowing that Reach

Spoiler for Hiden:
Is doomed from the beginning, and that no Spartans are left afterwards.  It is like playing an Alamo game.

changes the feel a bit.  People who'd played the previous games knew that going in, while someone playing it first would miss that context and backstory.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 03:50:08 PM »

I think marketing certainly made it most of what it is.  I personally like Halo.  I think the Universe is fun, if not cheesy. 

I'm surprised at the Reach hate, I thought it was the best of the series, but like mentioned above, a lot of the impact comes from having played it last.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 03:56:45 PM »

Its not a bad game, per se. It isn't the one I'd introduce people to the series with though.

I found that Halo and Halo 2 are the easier to digest, and provide a cleaner presentation. I also enjoy some of the levity in the Halo series - there are quite a few "He's got us surrounded!" moments. Sure, 4 player live coop is better (Halo3), but sitting on the couch with my brother and littering the countryside with MC bodies because we keep pistolwhipping each other to keep the sniper rifle is one of my fond gaming moments.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 03:58:43 PM by Purge » Logged

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 12:16:52 AM »

I have played and enjoyed all of the Halo games.  To me the strength of the SP campaigns is the that the encounters are almost never scripted.  There are many ways to approach an encounter. Playing on higher skill levels doesn't just give the AI more hit points or stupid one shot kills.  It actually makes their AI play better.  The story was always secondary for me.  But that's true of most shooters.  Also Halo was the first shooter I can remember that made co-op play a priority. 

Halo competitive multiplayer is probably the most skill based of any shooter on consoles.  In CoD/Battlefield if you get the jump on somebody you will generally kill them no matter how much better than you they are.  In Halo the better player will almost always win a one-on-one face off.  I think Halo rewards skill while Call of Duty rewards time spent playing.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 12:20:00 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 06:19:39 AM »

If you enjoy co-op play online or off, IMO you won't find a better shooter on the 360 than the Halo games. I've also enjoyed the SP in every Halo game, other than 2, as much as any shooter. Besides, the gals seems to like it more than any other shooter - could never figure out why, they just do. That means it gets a lot of gameplay in my social circles, since daughters and spouses will actually join in on a game.
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on November 15, 2011, 06:19:39 AM

If you enjoy co-op play online or off, IMO you won't find a better shooter on the 360 than the Halo games. I've also enjoyed the SP in every Halo game, other than 2, as much as any shooter. Besides, the gals seems to like it more than any other shooter - could never figure out why, they just do. That means it gets a lot of gameplay in my social circles, since daughters and spouses will actually join in on a game.
I may not like your hockey team but I like the cut of your Halo jib.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 04:34:08 PM »

well...i bought Halo:CE:A Roll Eyes

wasn't planning too,but it was 27quid in the shops so i thought why not,which means i just have two games to pick up eventually and that means i have survived the great game flood of 2011(AssCreed and SR3)

Bit gutted that the multiplayer maps are for Reach and there is no multiplayer with this
EDIT:my bad,it seems you get the code for the multiplayer maps to play with Reach so that you don't need to put the Anniversary disc in,but you can still play the 6 maps online with the anniversary disc(and not use the code),i played one match online got my arse owned trying to figure out how to do the jetpacks and then went back to Halo CE icon_confused

no idea when i will get round to this,i am currently 27hrs into Skyrim(and loving it) and have hardly done anything
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 06:45:17 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 08:33:48 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 15, 2011, 04:34:08 PM

well...i bought Halo:CE:A Roll Eyes

wasn't planning too,but it was 27quid in the shops so i thought why not,which means i just have two games to pick up eventually and that means i have survived the great game flood of 2011(AssCreed and SR3)

Bit gutted that the multiplayer maps are for Reach and there is no multiplayer with this
EDIT:my bad,it seems you get the code for the multiplayer maps to play with Reach so that you don't need to put the Anniversary disc in,but you can still play the 6 maps online with the anniversary disc(and not use the code),i played one match online got my arse owned trying to figure out how to do the jetpacks and then went back to Halo CE icon_confused

no idea when i will get round to this,i am currently 27hrs into Skyrim(and loving it) and have hardly done anything

I was just about to log on and tell you about your bad.   Tongue

I find the voice command aspects to be surprisingly entertaining, though I don't expect that'll be the case for a lot of the game.  It's a gimmick, for sure.

So far, I enjoyed what I played a lot more than I thought I would (I played through to where you reach terra ringa).  The first time I played that section, it felt like it took hours.  I'm not sure how long I took, but it couldn't have been much more than a half an hour (keeping in mind that I would stop frequently to shout, "Analyze" and "Scan" at the TV).

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 08:40:05 PM »

wasn't even aware of the voice commands,i guess this is Kinect,and not headset?

did you press the Back Button when playing?
The graphics today look good,but not outstanding and i thought hmm...but when i pressed the back button i thought good friggi' christ!,because it looks more dated than i remember,the old graphics actually reminded me more of Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »

The first halo was the worst.  Horrible horrible level design.  It's basically cookie cutter as far as rooms go.  I've played all four because of the hype but it always fell flat.  I think Reach was probably the I liked most, but that's not saying much.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 09:36:31 PM »

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 09:11:55 PM

The first halo was the worst.  Horrible horrible level design.  It's basically cookie cutter as far as rooms go.  I've played all four because of the hype but it always fell flat.  I think Reach was probably the I liked most, but that's not saying much.

You are over-remembering the Library level.  Everyone is entitled to opinions of course, but generally speaking, it's pretty uncontroversial to say the first Halo was the best of the whole series, and Silent Cartographer is still pretty much the FPS level everyone wants to beat.  I can't help but be biased, but Anniversary is a great intro to the series.  It's the first game with a new coat of paint, and it's still a ton of fun.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 10:19:37 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on November 15, 2011, 08:40:05 PM

wasn't even aware of the voice commands,i guess this is Kinect,and not headset?

did you press the Back Button when playing?
The graphics today look good,but not outstanding and i thought hmm...but when i pressed the back button i thought good friggi' christ!,because it looks more dated than i remember,the old graphics actually reminded me more of Goldeneye on the Nintendo 64

I didn't press the back button, but that's because I can say, "Classic" and it does the same thing.

The difference is startling.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2011, 04:50:22 PM »

GT FORUM EFFECT!!!!!

Grrr. I had to buy ASSCreedRev, and there was Halo:CE:AE sitting there at 39.99.

Dammit.

Now I'm poor.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »

Been playing the anniversary edition this week...  The first game was my favorite by a long shot - they haven't recaptured that magic (though admittedly, I haven't gotten very far along in Reach).  

It certainly isn't without it's faults, but as a whole it was greater than the sum of it's parts, and defined the console FPS template for the decade that followed.  As others have pointed out, it brought a lot to the table that we now take for granted:

- It was arguably the first console FPS that was truly accessible to the masses, and not just hardcore gamers
- The first game to do the "grand sweeping vistas" thing as well as, if not better than, Unreal
- It seamlessly integrated outdoor and indoor environments, as well as on-foot/vehicle/turret gameplay
- Friendly AI that fought alongside you, as opposed to being meatshields
- The soundtrack is still one of the best in gaming
- A good narrative with a compelling backstory (the less said about Halo 2 and Gravemind, the better)
- Cinematic moments that happened within the game, as opposed to being non-controllable cutscenes
- While it largely funneled you from one setpiece to the next, once you got there, there were usually multiple ways of approaching the battle
- Being able to play co-op through the campaign was pretty novel at the time

For me, Halo CE was the highwater mark for the series.  Halo 2 was pretty lousy from a single player perspective... the aforementioned Gravemind; switching between characters (hate it - interrupts the narrative flow); crappy ending.  But it did introduce vehicle-jacking, which is always fun.  More importantly, Halo 2 was the killer app for Xbox Live and ushered in online console multiplayer in a big way.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 01:31:54 PM by Laner » Logged
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

Quote from: Scraper on November 14, 2011, 02:22:20 PM

Sorry. The Madden metaphor fits CoD much better. Massive sales, yearly franchise with few changes year to year and never addressing the fundamental issues.
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »

Quote from: Bob on November 19, 2011, 03:00:15 PM

Quote from: Scraper on November 14, 2011, 02:22:20 PM

Sorry. The Madden metaphor fits CoD much better. Massive sales, yearly franchise with few changes year to year and never addressing the fundamental issues.

Actually, I think the Uncharted metaphor fits CoD better than that.  Highly popular franchise I only visit once every few years; adequate shooting elements but never enough interplay between Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher.

-Autistic Angel
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 06:49:17 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 19, 2011, 01:28:54 PM

- The first game to do the "grand sweeping vistas" thing as well as, if not better than, Unreal
I'll give you "as well as", but not "better than."

And I'll add my voice to those who are saying the first Halo was the best of the series....though I stopped after the awful Halo 3. It (Halo CE) should get a nod for being the first mass-appeal shooter on a console (though Goldeneye on N64 might have an argument), but I'd hardly give it credit for ushering in the wave of console shooters. They were coming regardless; Halo was simply the first in a long line.

Halo to me is the epitome of the expression if you're average at everything, you're above average.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2011, 10:53:23 AM »

Halo: CE was better than average. It was definitive in Console shooters. It was a milestone in health regeneration coupled with "pick two weapons". The use of enemies weapons and balancing on top of fantastic graphics (I've left off "for its time" - this is a game that let MSFT stay in the console market - to call it less than stellar in its presentation is to claim Mario is unimportant because you don't like plumbers). That xbox cost 499 new, and with damned near a year or two before any other blockbuster game could come out and dethrone Halo's attach rate and sales. IIRC, that game was Halo 2.

CE made you feel small, and still let you kick ass. I remember losing a scorpion cuz I was fooling around and then I had to hoof it across some of the levels where you'd be driving. It was just as fun. And that was the big thing - Halo wasn't just "this" or "that" - it was a FUN game. Uncharted, to me, didn't capture my interest because it wasn't much fun to play (IMO). The thing about Xbox was that there wasn't twelve dozen other games that you could play if it wasn't great, so in that sense the xbox owners were a captive audience.

But to dismiss it as a game who's merits simply are average, and the sum of those averages push it over the top? Not in my opinion. Halo CE: may be average today, or yesterday. But a decade ago? Who is this Call Of Doody fellow anyways?

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2011, 01:33:50 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on November 20, 2011, 06:49:17 PM

...ushering in the wave of console shooters. They were coming regardless; Halo was simply the first in a long line.

No argument with the first part.  But Halo set the bar very high, and was head and shoulders above any other console FPS for quite a while - Halo 1 & 2 were *the* definitive console shooters of the last generation. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 01:35:53 PM by Laner » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2011, 02:04:29 PM »

To me the biggest thing Halo got right was the controls. Before Halo people thought you couldn't do proper FPS controls with a game pad. Now it is taken for granted. They got the combination of autocorrection and sensitivity just right. I agree it was far more than just an average game.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2011, 02:21:41 PM »

My gaming history is a bit fuzzy on this-- but when everyone was drooling over Halo when it was still intended to be a PC title, were there any major features cut in the transformation to the Xbox?  I just remember people being up in arms about the swap in general.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »

It went through a lot of iterations, from an RTS, to a third person shooter, to a FPS. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo:_Combat_Evolved#Development

The sturm und drang from the Mac people was primarily due to the fact that one of their best game developers was bought out by the "enemy".
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 02:58:26 PM »

Quote from: kathode on November 15, 2011, 09:36:31 PM

Quote from: naednek on November 15, 2011, 09:11:55 PM

The first halo was the worst.  Horrible horrible level design.  It's basically cookie cutter as far as rooms go.  I've played all four because of the hype but it always fell flat.  I think Reach was probably the I liked most, but that's not saying much.

You are over-remembering the Library level.  Everyone is entitled to opinions of course, but generally speaking, it's pretty uncontroversial to say the first Halo was the best of the whole series, and Silent Cartographer is still pretty much the FPS level everyone wants to beat.  I can't help but be biased, but Anniversary is a great intro to the series.  It's the first game with a new coat of paint, and it's still a ton of fun.

No he isn't. There are large sections of the game especially indoor parts that are literally copy and pasted sections to make the game longer in a easy cheap fashion.
Inverarity
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 05:59:34 PM »

Maybe I should replace average with "pretty well", but when compared to other shooters being made (and not on the console. I'm referring to PC shooters, which it rightly needs to be compared to) it wasn't ahead of many titles that had been out for a year or more on PC.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the game. At the time I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I think it's remembered with rose-colored glasses. For example....

Quote from: Purge on November 21, 2011, 10:53:23 AM

It was a milestone in health regeneration

It didn't have health regeneration. Only your shield regenerated.

this is a game that let MSFT stay in the console market

Losing a bunch of money on each console is what kept Microsoft in the console market. Halo had a good attach rate because it was in the right place, at the right time (and Amped was more of a nitch title anyway slywink).

I remember losing a scorpion cuz I was fooling around and then I had to hoof it across some of the levels where you'd be driving. It was just as fun. And that was the big thing - Halo wasn't just "this" or "that" - it was a FUN game

Totally agree here.

The thing about Xbox was that there wasn't twelve dozen other games that you could play

Hence my right place, right time comment.

Quote from: denoginizer on November 21, 2011, 02:04:29 PM

To me the biggest thing Halo got right was the controls. Before Halo people thought you couldn't do proper FPS controls with a game pad. Now it is taken for granted.

Agreed. They nailed the controls. But isn't that a bare minimum expectation of a good game? Getting its own controls right?

Halo did very little that Goldeneye, Turok and Perfect Dark on N64 didn't do (albeit without a two stick pad). Halo takes a lot of the credit that those games probably deserve. Which isn't to say it doesn't deserve some credit too.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 06:05:14 PM by Inverarity » Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 06:52:14 PM »

Quote from: Inverarity on November 21, 2011, 05:59:34 PM

Maybe I should replace average with "pretty well", but when compared to other shooters being made (and not on the console. I'm referring to PC shooters, which it rightly needs to be compared to) it wasn't ahead of many titles that had been out for a year or more on PC.

Which isn't to say I didn't like the game. At the time I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I think it's remembered with rose-colored glasses. For example....

Quote from: Purge on November 21, 2011, 10:53:23 AM

It was a milestone in health regeneration

It didn't have health regeneration. Only your shield regenerated.

this is a game that let MSFT stay in the console market

Losing a bunch of money on each console is what kept Microsoft in the console market. Halo had a good attach rate because it was in the right place, at the right time (and Amped was more of a nitch title anyway slywink).

I remember losing a scorpion cuz I was fooling around and then I had to hoof it across some of the levels where you'd be driving. It was just as fun. And that was the big thing - Halo wasn't just "this" or "that" - it was a FUN game

Totally agree here.

The thing about Xbox was that there wasn't twelve dozen other games that you could play

Hence my right place, right time comment.

Quote from: denoginizer on November 21, 2011, 02:04:29 PM

To me the biggest thing Halo got right was the controls. Before Halo people thought you couldn't do proper FPS controls with a game pad. Now it is taken for granted.

Agreed. They nailed the controls. But isn't that a bare minimum expectation of a good game? Getting its own controls right?

Halo did very little that Goldeneye, Turok and Perfect Dark on N64 didn't do (albeit without a two stick pad). Halo takes a lot of the credit that those games probably deserve. Which isn't to say it doesn't deserve some credit too.

You would think getting the controls right would be the bare minimum, but no one else had done it.  And you can't say those other games did the same thing but without two sticks, as the two sticks were the entire point.  Console shooters went from awkward to entirely possible in one game: Halo.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

Goldeneye on the N64 had an option to play it with two controllers in a setup very similar to a modern two-stick controller.  I remember using it and thinking it was a much better option than the default one-controller method.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: