http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 12:53:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo: Reach Impressions thread  (Read 9270 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2010, 04:25:22 AM »

as i am west coast, i get to see some of you guys playing this before i get the chance to buy it.  i have decided to go after this tonight, which means i will be too damn tired to write anything when i finally stop for the night (morning).  

so, who among us has this and isn't completely sucked in?  how is the legendary edition if you got it?  what was the crowd like?

oh, and kathode, how long did it take you to finish the sp? Tongue

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 05:01:13 AM »

2 more hours!! The last midnight launch I did was FF13.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 05:23:37 AM »

I'll be renting it! Low expectations for the story, but I'm hoping it's great. 
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 05:29:18 AM »

Alright, leaving to go get my copy.  I have no idea why I am doing this, but there you have it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:55:42 AM »

Now I am posting on my phone from the line. There are a ton of people at the Castle Rock Gamestop....more than I've seen at a midnight launch of a game before, though I've never been to a Halo title launch before.   5 more minutes.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:25:01 AM »

You guys think this will sell more than Halo 3? I think between the fact that there isn't much else to buy this week, let alone in the last few, plus how much the 360 userbase has grown, it should be a much bigger release.

Sean Lama
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »

Impressions: Elohim!(darn iPod, I typed woohoo and that's what you give me?)  Fun! I'm gong to bed, more thoughts in the morning.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:16:42 AM »

After tonight, I will be very careful on whether to preorder or not. He non preorder line was out of the store before I even got in despite being about twice as long. The gift card will supposedly be mailed out in 3-4 weeks; everyone else got it tonight. Keep my fingers crossed.

Here's the icing for that crap sandwich. The freeway is down to 1 lane 2 miles from my house. I have gone all of about a half mile in ten minutes. F you DoT for making traffic worse than a holiday rush at 1 goddamn  a.m. in the morning. Your collossal fuckup has killed the rest of the night for me.

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 09:08:42 AM »

i just pulled myself away from the campaign after getting sucked in for about four hours.  i've managed to finish the first three missions on Heroic and the game is awesome...everything i've loved about Halo in the past taken to another level.  the gameplay is unmistakably Halo, but playing as part of squad does change the feel of things a bit.  it's cool to be fighting alongside your teammates rather than being alone all the time, although they definitely leave most of the work for you.  the graphics are a huge improvement, and while the color palette has changed (quite a bit darker), the style is still very much what you would expect.  that said, the level design is unlike anything we've seen a Halo game before.  the creativity and scale of the world of Reach is incredible, and the way areas are laid out makes for some fantastic combat situations...tons of cover, multiple elevations, and always various ways to approach and proceed through an area.  of course no Halo game would be complete without an exciting story, and Reach does not disappoint there either.  Bungie always has done a good job with the story in Halo games, but the presentation in Reach is fantastic...really sets the tone for the game and looks phenomenal in the process.  as i said before, Reach is definitely a Halo game, but i've seen so many great improvements to the campaign already that i know it's going to set itself apart as a unique experience.

FYI...it's 5am EST on release night, and the matchmaking screen lists 214455 players online.  i'd say they're going to sell more than just a few copies of the game on the first day...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:01:50 AM »

I was only able to get an hour or so before getting too tired to aim well and so far, this is exactly what I expected and wanted. The world is very nicely crafted and the gameplay is as classic as ever, but as Disarm said, it's grea to have a squad around. Makes the whole thing feel grander and they definitely use it to send multiple squads at you all at once.

Playing on heroic and the difficulty is just right so far. Not frustratingly hard and not so easy as they can drop your shields pretty quick in the open.

Bob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 14, 2010, 05:23:37 AM

Turns out the Gravemind was actually responsible for training the Spartans on Reach. The whole 2nd half of the game, you switch from Noble 6 to controlling the Gravemind to fight off the Covenant.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 02:11:22 PM »

Quote from: Bob on September 14, 2010, 02:09:35 PM

Quote from: ATB on September 14, 2010, 05:23:37 AM

Turns out the Gravemind was actually responsible for training the Spartans on Reach. The whole 2nd half of the game, you switch from Noble 6 to controlling the Gravemind to fight off the Covenant.

don't.do/.that!

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »

Quote from: disarm on September 14, 2010, 09:08:42 AM

i just pulled myself away from the campaign after getting sucked in for about four hours.  i've managed to finish the first three missions on Heroic and the game is awesome...everything i've loved about Halo in the past taken to another level.  the gameplay is unmistakably Halo, but playing as part of squad does change the feel of things a bit.  it's cool to be fighting alongside your teammates rather than being alone all the time, although they definitely leave most of the work for you.  the graphics are a huge improvement, and while the color palette has changed (quite a bit darker), the style is still very much what you would expect.  that said, the level design is unlike anything we've seen a Halo game before.  the creativity and scale of the world of Reach is incredible, and the way areas are laid out makes for some fantastic combat situations...tons of cover, multiple elevations, and always various ways to approach and proceed through an area.  of course no Halo game would be complete without an exciting story, and Reach does not disappoint there either.  Bungie always has done a good job with the story in Halo games, but the presentation in Reach is fantastic...really sets the tone for the game and looks phenomenal in the process.  as i said before, Reach is definitely a Halo game, but i've seen so many great improvements to the campaign already that i know it's going to set itself apart as a unique experience.

FYI...it's 5am EST on release night, and the matchmaking screen lists 214455 players online.  i'd say they're going to sell more than just a few copies of the game on the first day...
glad to hear! Although and no offense, HALO story lines were never that good....
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM »

My limited edition copy just came in.  I absolutely think the bonus material is worth the extra money.  It reminds me of the glory days of Infocom packaging.  The main attraction is a journal.  It's elegantly bound with what looks like twine and held closed magnetically.  Inside, it's laid out exactly like someone's field journal.  It reminds me of Indy's Dad's journal from Last Crusade.  The whole thing is done in a handwriting font with pencil sketches all over.  Interspersed are folded up tickets, memos, news clippings with notes scribbled on them, folded up just like you would expect to find in a journal.  At the back is a pocket with a map, hand-notated, along with a bunch of hand-written dossiers, photos, key cards, etc. 

The whole package is utterly useless in practical terms, but incredibly detailed.  I'm not a huge nut for the Halo lore, though I enjoy it when I see it, but I do love physical objects designed to appear as if they came from inside the game world.  This is one of the best examples of that I've seen in years.  Awesome.

I think there's a game somewhere in there too, but that has to wait until this afternoon.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 04:51:47 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 14, 2010, 04:25:22 AM

oh, and kathode, how long did it take you to finish the sp? Tongue

Roughly 8-10 hours.  Raptr has me at 15 hours, but I've played a few long sessions of mp.  I was playing on Heroic and died a LOT.  Most of it felt fair, just tough, which is good.  Two missions in particular gave me fits - (no plot spoilers, just some very general info about two missions) -

Spoiler for Hiden:
The jetpack mission - Lots of very tough sections of enemies who have height advantage on you.
Falcon mission - When you play this, try blowing up your own Falcon if it gets too damaged and see what happens.  I played it all the way through with one Falcon that was smoking and flaming after the first point-to-point trip.

Thought it was great overall.  Lots of mission variety and cool moments.  Awesome visuals and FX throughout.  The space sections are quite a bit of fun.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »

call me a cod fan boy, but not being able to zoom with the left trigger blows.  They should have a COD controller setup.
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 06:33:43 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM

My limited edition copy just came in.  I absolutely think the bonus material is worth the extra money.  It reminds me of the glory days of Infocom packaging.  The main attraction is a journal....The whole package is utterly useless in practical terms, but incredibly detailed.  I'm not a huge nut for the Halo lore, though I enjoy it when I see it, but I do love physical objects designed to appear as if they came from inside the game world.  This is one of the best examples of that I've seen in years.  Awesome.

i didn't think to comment on the journal in my initial impressions because i haven't spent a lot of time looking at it yet, but the quality is pretty incredible.  as Chaz said, it's an actual string-bound journal that looks like it was handwritten and is packed with text, drawings, loose bits of paper covered in notes, news clippings, and tons of other stuff.  i can't speak for what the journal has to say because i haven't had the time to take it all in yet, but first impressions are that it is incredibly well made and easily one of the neatest bits of extra material i've seen in years.

Quote from: vizionblind on September 14, 2010, 03:28:15 PM

glad to hear! Although and no offense, HALO story lines were never that good...

i've always enjoyed the Halo storylines...not overly complex, but they're always presented very well and provide a very effective framework for the games.  Reach looks to have them all beat though, and i'm still early in the game...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 06:47:35 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 14, 2010, 06:24:59 PM

call me a cod fan boy, but not being able to zoom with the left trigger blows.  They should have a COD controller setup.

I think I'm fine with it.  You can only zoom to a scope with a small subset of guns, while you can always toss a grenade.  Since zooming is a less central mechanic than grenades, the zoom shouldn't be on the trigger.  In CoD, you can go zoom/iron sights with every gun, so it makes sense that it's on a trigger.  Takes some getting used to when switching back to Halo though.

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 06:57:50 PM »

Grabbed my copy at Gamestop (I was the only one there!) and am installing now. Will probably go straight to MP as I never did finished the other games' campaigns.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 07:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 14, 2010, 03:40:12 PM

My limited edition copy just came in.  I absolutely think the bonus material is worth the extra money.  It reminds me of the glory days of Infocom packaging.  The main attraction is a journal.  It's elegantly bound with what looks like twine and held closed magnetically.  Inside, it's laid out exactly like someone's field journal.  It reminds me of Indy's Dad's journal from Last Crusade.  The whole thing is done in a handwriting font with pencil sketches all over.  Interspersed are folded up tickets, memos, news clippings with notes scribbled on them, folded up just like you would expect to find in a journal.  At the back is a pocket with a map, hand-notated, along with a bunch of hand-written dossiers, photos, key cards, etc.

There's even a faux ripped page in there, at least I think it's supposed to be like that. But I agree it's a cool little collectible if you're at all interested in the Halo fiction.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:01:41 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 07:08:45 PM »

yeah, they're all ripped....

paranoid

Tongue

Because I can,
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 07:17:47 PM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 14, 2010, 06:57:50 PM

Will probably go straight to MP as I never did finished the other games' campaigns.

Well, maybe not. I start the game (I avoided all previews and trailers) and I'm presented with buying stuff. Yikes! Don't want to buy the wrong thing first time out, so I'm going in nekked at first, so to speak  eek

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 07:24:10 PM »

I only played for an hour last night, the first thing that stood out to me is the graphics aren't nearly as good as I was expecting based off the screenshots and videos. And the framerate was sub-30 in a fair amount of the firefights. Hopefully later on they throw some awesome level design and art direction at you.

Sean Lama
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 07:38:14 PM »

Damn it! I want to play this, but I'm supposedly having a phone interview this afternoon.  Of course, that was scheduled for an hour and a half ago, and I haven't heard from them yet.  If I decide to play, guaranteed I'll then hear from them immediately.  Grr.... for many reasons.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

don't worry about the armor stuff you can buy.  most of it is locked to rank anyways and it doesn't do anything except look different.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 14, 2010, 07:24:10 PM

I only played for an hour last night, the first thing that stood out to me is the graphics aren't nearly as good as I was expecting based off the screenshots and videos. And the framerate was sub-30 in a fair amount of the firefights. Hopefully later on they throw some awesome level design and art direction at you.

That's really unfortunate.  Cause I already don't think the game looks that great from screenshots and videos.  To me, Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST are a *noticeable* step down in graphical quality, compared to other top-notch console FPSes like MW2 / Fallout 3 / Bioshock / etc.

I have never liked Halo's graphics and art direction, but I was hoping Reach was going to completely change that.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 14, 2010, 08:07:53 PM

That's really unfortunate.  Cause I already don't think the game looks that great from screenshots and videos.  To me, Halo 3 and Halo 3 ODST are a *noticeable* step down in graphical quality, compared to other top-notch console FPSes like MW2 / Fallout 3 / Bioshock / etc.

I have never liked Halo's graphics and art direction, but I was hoping Reach was going to completely change that.

I was fine with Halo 3's graphics at the time it released, they weren't the best on the market but they were more than serviceable and I know that overall it lent to a better multiplayer experience, which is the primary focus anyhow. The thing is, watching developer docs for Reach it seemed like they were finally bringing Halo to the forefront of the 360's capabilities. Instead all I'm seeing is slightly higher res textures and slightly improved character models, but at the cost of a less adhesive framerate.

Also, everything looks and feels all too familiar. Weapons, enemies, even the UI itself. Makes me feel like I'm playing an expansion. Again, I'm not too deep into the campaign and haven't touched MP yet, so hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Oh, but I should throw a positive light where it's deserving and the music is definitely deserving of it. I'm loving the music so far, it's a big less epic and majestic than Halo 3, and not quite as "Earthy" (sorry, not sure exactly how to describe it) as ODST, but it's definitely it's own flavor and I like it a lot.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 08:38:10 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 08:56:24 PM »

yeah, the music seems like a great match for the game.  also, the architecture and building design looks pretty cool so far.  very fitting for an established and advanced human colony on an alien world.  the music matches that setting very well.

vizionblind

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 09:16:46 PM »

you are in the minority
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »

Although I had my concerns I went ahead and started playing MP right away, 1v1 at first, then after a couple of hours I did some 4x4 DM. And, surprisingly, I enjoyed it nod. In spite of my reaction times (measured with a calendar) and my arthritic wrists, I didn't do too badly once I got some time in on each mode. The graphics look fine to me.

I do get the impression, maybe erroneous, that compared to Halo 3, the last one of these I played, there seem to be fewer maps and modes. Could that be right? Or are more unlocked as you level up?

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 10:51:59 PM »

So do you always go up in rank now? Or at some point do you have the possibility of falling as in halo 3?
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »

Did they finally up the multiplayer to 32 players yet?

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 12:11:51 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on September 14, 2010, 10:23:16 PM

I do get the impression, maybe erroneous, that compared to Halo 3, the last one of these I played, there seem to be fewer maps and modes. Could that be right? Or are more unlocked as you level up?

there are actually quite a few more modes and the customizability of MP matches has been increased considerably since Halo 3.  i think they pretty much made options available across all game types that were previously limited to only certain modes.  as a result, you can set up custom gametypes that really might not work well, but the decision was to make those options available for anyone that wanted them rather than limiting how people play.

you are correct, however, that there are fewer premade maps this time around...13 included with Reach, down from the 24 included in ODST.  it should be taken into account, however, that the higher map count in Halo3 and ODST is the result of add-on map packs to Halo 3 and a few levels created specifically for release with ODST.  the original Halo 3 had roughly the same number of maps as Reach.  given the inevitability of at least one map pack for Reach, the number of different ways a given map can be played, and the ability to create your own unique layouts using ForgeWorld, i think there are still plenty of options for even long-time Halo players.

as for unlocking maps, they're all available from the start.  the only thing you have to unlock are campaign missions and character options.  all the character options are purely cosmetic, however, so they're by no means essential.  anyone that puts a significant amount of time into the game will inevitably have the ability to unlock quite a bit of stuff though.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:20:18 AM »

Played through chapter two. So far pleasantly surprised.  thumbsup

Two matches of MP. 14-10 in one and 9-16 in the next, though that was against a crew that was playing together.  Still fun mp.  Glad I'll be returning it to blockbuster on Sunday though. Definitely could see myself getting REALLY back into it.  icon_cool

Hope the campaign keeps it. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 03:04:20 AM »

one record has already been broken.

Because I can,
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 03:09:56 AM »

Quote from: Chaz on September 14, 2010, 07:38:14 PM

Damn it! I want to play this, but I'm supposedly having a phone interview this afternoon.  Of course, that was scheduled for an hour and a half ago, and I haven't heard from them yet.  If I decide to play, guaranteed I'll then hear from them immediately.  Grr.... for many reasons.

Wait....no more Harmonix?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »

I LOVE IT!..only on mission 3 or so. the sniper one. It is a very good looking game to say the least. Trying to take it slow. A mission here and there. But that is VERY difficult. Might restart since Im so near the start and set it to legendary or the one below it. Playing normal now. I love it.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 04:08:54 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 15, 2010, 03:04:20 AM

i have no idea what the previous record was, or how high they hit when that Twitter post was made, but the game is currently saying that there are 727,691 players online...pretty insane when you consider that MS announced around this time last year that they set a new record by passing 2 million concurrent users on all of Live.  i just wonder if they can break 1 million simultaneous Reach players this weekend...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:20 AM »

not overly impressed so far.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

Quote from: The Grue on September 15, 2010, 03:09:56 AM

Quote from: Chaz on September 14, 2010, 07:38:14 PM

Wait....no more Harmonix?

maybe it was his Playgirl interview.....

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: