http://gamingtrend.com
October 01, 2014, 10:55:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo: ODST Impressions?  (Read 5761 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 05:41:12 PM »

Quote from: Kemper Boyd on September 24, 2009, 05:28:59 PM

Quick questions from a total Halo noob...

1) Should I really be exchanging my weapons for alien tech right away? Ammo for my stuff seems to be awfully scarce - I've only just started the first flashback so maybe the actual game will be different.

It depends what you like to use, but you're going to run out of ammo whether you are using UNSC or Covenant weapons, you might as well pick up a refill if you are low and have the opportunity.

2) What is the best way to deal with shielded opponents early on? Those guys eat my automatic rifle ammo for breakfast!

Basically, hit them with something more powerful smile You can use grenades to knock out shields and then clean up with your weapon, a charged plasma pistol (just hold down the trigger until it starts shaking and let go to fire), sniper rifle (UNSC or Covenant), Brute shot, rocket launcher, laser, etc. I think the carbine works pretty well. The needler is great on Brutes, just make sure you get a full clip into them and they will explode. Vehicles like the Ghost and Chopper work great, of course.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »

A buddy and I went through half of the game on Legendary and it was a tough fight.
We got two more people to join in right after the bridge area, and I have to agree that it seems harder than the HALO 3 campaign.

A word of warning though. We had one person drop during a mission which borked the achievements. We had to replay the mission he left on to get them.
Once you know what you are doing, and if you don't do any ammo/audio log searching you can fly through.

It took us about 9 hours to complete it on Legendary initially. We were able to redo the first half for the person that joined us at the half way point and it took just over 2 hours.

Firefight is tough and frantic. I think they did a good job at varying how the enemies attack in each wave.

Graphics could have been better though.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »

Not sure if this was mentioned yet, but you can take out the Engineers and that will reduce the shields they have. (Won't affect Covenant personal shields like the ones on Hunters)
These are the same Engineers that you saw/controlled if you played HALO Wars as the Covenant .

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2009, 07:28:21 PM »

2) What is the best way to deal with shielded opponents early on? Those guys eat my automatic rifle ammo for breakfast!

The game is pretty cool and I love taking out grunts with my pistol, but those brutes are really chapping my ass...

As a rule Covenant weapons work best against shields, while UNSC weapons work best against unshielded enemies.  A fully charged plasma burst from a Covenenat plasma pistol will take shields down in one hit.  I've found the best way to take out Brutes is to stick a grenade to them.  I never waste my stickies on anything other than Brutes or vehicles.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:30:16 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2009, 07:45:42 PM »

what's the best way to deal with those engineers? i swear their shields never drop
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2009, 08:45:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 24, 2009, 07:45:42 PM

what's the best way to deal with those engineers? i swear their shields never drop

Sniper type rifles, heavy weapons, sticky nades. If there is more than one in an area it will be extremely difficult to take them down solo since they also shield/heal each other.
You have to keep up the fire too as they will recharge quickly. Two-on-one or more will take them down quickly, however

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2009, 08:50:30 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on September 24, 2009, 07:45:42 PM

The correct answer is...avoid them, because you get more achievement points  icon_lol

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Wheelman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2009, 04:24:44 AM »

Did anyone else notice in the opening cinematic that the countdown to drop inside your pod is the same little "beep beep boop" countdown chime that is played before a halo 3 multiplayer match starts? I thought that was pretty clever.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2009, 05:39:10 AM »

Just finished tonight and I really enjoyed the game.  Someone earlier mentioned it best, it's a collection of the "greatest hits" of Halo.  I don't know how long it took me to finish the game, but it was longer than 6 hours for sure.  I figure it was about 8-10, which is enough for me.

I played through on Heroic and it was difficult at times.  There were a few sections I had to play through a couple times.

I thought I was being crazy about the audio logs, but I only found 18 of them...wtf!  I wonder if you can go back and wander the city to find more?
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2009, 06:32:52 AM »

man, after playing FF last night for like 4 some hours. i went into SP and just tore shit up. I guess playing FF helps a lot in how to deal with the enemies. I'm up to 15 or 16 tapes. I'm not sure why in the bombcast jeff was saying they are hard to find. they are a damn breeze to find. Just listen for sirens and then search around a bit. The tapes aren't always RIGHT there, but I found them close enough. I really like the tapes' story.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 25, 2009, 05:25:14 PM »

Is there a way to go back into the entire city after clearing the game and looking for audio logs missed?
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2009, 06:25:29 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 25, 2009, 05:25:14 PM

Is there a way to go back into the entire city after clearing the game and looking for audio logs missed?

Yes, just chose Campaign and then the Monbasa map.

I am missing one log (not the Data Hive one) so the search goes on

EDIT: Pulling my hair out I just found this SPOILER MAP for audio logs

http://www.msxbox-world.com/features/Halo-3-ODST/index.php#
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:32:23 PM by DamageInc » Logged

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

Quote from: DamageInc on September 26, 2009, 06:25:29 PM

Thank you.  I finally found something that told me that and I used that map to find the last 4 in the world, then did the hive on easy for that last one.  I really enjoyed the side story. 
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2009, 06:48:41 PM »

"They said to hurt you, but, they weren't real specific how!"  "Me and Vera got a couple of life lessons for you!"

I love the rarer comments!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 06:51:27 PM by Jarrodhk » Logged

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 26, 2009, 06:43:45 PM

Quote from: DamageInc on September 26, 2009, 06:25:29 PM

Thank you.  I finally found something that told me that and I used that map to find the last 4 in the world, then did the hive on easy for that last one.  I really enjoyed the side story. 

"They said to hurt you, but, they weren't real specific how!"  "Me and Vera got a couple of life lessons for you!"

Yeah I finally found the last one thanks to the map.
Spoiler for Hiden:
It was the office phone on the table in the building dead East of the map
Very cool ending at the final one too  slywink

I'm listening through the whole story now to see how it played out
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 10:12:50 PM by DamageInc » Logged

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2009, 11:02:12 PM »

I'm just about to start the 7th mission and IMO this has to be the best Halo game for split-screen co-op yet. The element of adventure via free roaming and searching for audio logs absolutely rocks when playing beside people. Last night we sys-linked 2, 360's for 4-p co-op and that worked as well or better than any other Halo game. I'm also enjoying fire fight far more than I expected.

A thought that came to mind while viewing audio log story boards, was whether this might be a precursor to a film or anime based on a similar setting/story. I'm finding the audio log and main story to be better than I expected and I'd personally really like to see an animated film based on the audio logs. At 2/3rds of the way through I give this a solid 9 and hope Bungie makes another game based on the same formula.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »

I poked my head into the MP disc this afternoon.  Holy crap, is that unwelcoming.  First game was team slayer, 4v4.  One of the players on my team dropped immediately, and I spent the rest of the game getting shot.  I think I wound up with two kills and 15 deaths.  Next match went slightly better, but I still got one-shotted a ton.  Then I went over and tried the Action Bag list.  Got into a 2 flag shotgun match.  Am I crazy, or do they not give you an indicator for where your flag is after it gets taken? We lost that largely because after the other team scored the first point, one guy on my team started TKing me, so I booted him and his guest.

The next round was a 4v4 slayer, and saw three of the other team's players drop within two minutes.  After a few minutes of hunting the one remaining enemy, I got bored and dropped, and was amused by the notice calling me a coward.

I totally expected to get demolished since the majority of the Halo MP crowd has been playing for a long time now, but man, it was bad.

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2009, 11:21:18 PM »

I want to try the new maps, but, I won't do it playing with pick up groups.  Hopefully we can get a group together and try them out.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2009, 10:49:21 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on September 26, 2009, 11:21:18 PM

I want to try the new maps, but, I won't do it playing with pick up groups.  Hopefully we can get a group together and try them out.

Agreed. Maybe we could get a Friday night game going or something like that

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2009, 07:30:53 AM »

Wife an I finished tonight. Overall  thumbsdown

Good:
It does have a little of everything.
It is Halo. Quite frankly, I forgot most of the time I was not Master Chief.

Bad:
Free roam city. Just wasting time.
Lame story. I don't usually get into the story anyway, but this one just felt lame. I can't even imagine looking for the audio logs and listening to more of that crap.
Short.
Dark. 90% of the time had the visor on.
Character design was horrible. Talk about fugly.

Quoting my wife here...
"Every Halo after the first is even worse than the on before it. What a letdown. That wasn't worth the $60."

LiveTAG: happydog
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2009, 04:26:20 PM »

I'm about halfway through on Heroic and I have to agree with you Happydog.  It really feels like some random Halo 3 levels strung together by a paper thin story and boring open world hub.  I haven't tried co-op or firefight yet.  I'm hoping they may redeem the game.  But the single player has been a snooze fest.  I hope they make some big changes with Reach.  This engine is beyond played out.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »

Quote from: happydog on September 28, 2009, 07:30:53 AM

Wife an I finished tonight. Overall  thumbsdown

Good:
It does have a little of everything.
It is Halo. Quite frankly, I forgot most of the time I was not Master Chief.

Bad:
Free roam city. Just wasting time.
Lame story. I don't usually get into the story anyway, but this one just felt lame. I can't even imagine looking for the audio logs and listening to more of that crap.
Short.
Dark. 90% of the time had the visor on.
Character design was horrible. Talk about fugly.

Quoting my wife here...
"Every Halo after the first is even worse than the on before it. What a letdown. That wasn't worth the $60."

See and I would say quite the opposite. I think every Halo game has actually improved. ODST is short, but the game style is completely different than the other three and I really think it adds a cool element to the game. The mp is awesome I think. Of course the extra disc is just Halo 3 mp, but the firefight mode is a blast. A real change from the typical Halo game types. I only wish it were longer, but it has a lot of replay value in my opinion and firefight gives it quite a bit of life. Plus if you got it at toys r us you got a $20 gift card with it, totally worth it smile .
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 11:53:18 PM »

I did get it at TRU, but still don't think it was worth it. Just to break it down consider this:
Halo 1:
  • Played once by myself
  • Played once with a friend
  • Played three times with my wife

Halo 2:
  • Played once with my wife (ok, contradicts my previous statement, but this one was just that bad. Still better than ODST though.)

Halo 3:
  • Played twice with my wife

Halo 3:ODST:
  • Played once with my wife (in four days).
  • Might try firefight just to try to get more value from it.

LiveTAG: happydog
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 08:39:59 PM »

Definitely understand your point of view Happydog.  As a counter-point, I've played through the campaign of ODST completely solo twice (currently working on Legendary run now), co-op once and and working on a legendary run, played hours of firefight solo and co-op, and expect to play quite a bit more.

I know that it doesn't work for some people, but, I have gotten more than my money's worth already from the game.  I also plan on playing through 3 again soon, I miss the battle rifle, dual wielding, and how unstoppable the Master Chief can be.  I also don't remember exactly how the story went.  I do plan on skipping a couple levels though, hated a certain section with a passion.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 09:38:13 PM »

I completed the co-op campaign this weekend with my nephew, but I convinced him to wimp it and we only played on Heroic icon_redface  - even at that it still had some difficult moments. I also made it about 1/3 of the way through the co-op campaign on Legendary with 3 friends at our LAN gathering Friday. I'll be starting the solo campaign shortly and surprisingly, this game has inspired me to go back and complete my Halo 2 solo campaign since the ODST story overlaps it.

I think this is a Halo game that's probably only going to appeal to big fans of the series, as the story isn't as epic as 1 or 3's, albeit better than 2's IMO, and the game is at best as long as H3. I'm obviously going to get more than my moneys worth out of it as the co-op and firefight will be a regular at our LAN meets for some time, but I can see where this would really be a rental for someone who's only interested in solo play. I do think the main story and audio log story are both decent and my only real complaint is that some of the character's weren't up to Bungie's other Halo efforts; Buck in particular.
DamageInc

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 02:37:10 AM »

Once you have all the audio logs I would take the half-hour to listen to it.
Really ties the story together (In Lebowski voice), and why you saw certain things.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 04:20:36 AM »

haven't played it yet but the open world hub has me intrigued but I figured some might appreciate this one:

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 05:55:00 AM »

i just finished the campaign tonight and loved it from beginning to end.  while it definitely has a different vibe than previous Halo games, i really liked switching between the quiet streets at night and the action-packed flashback missions.  the atmosphere was great in the nighttime scenes, and i really enjoyed the audio logs that i found...still have a bunch to collect though.  as with every other Halo game so far, the pacing of action scenes was great all the way through, and i found the challenge on Heroic to be just about perfect...died occassionally, but never so ofte that any area became frustrating.  while it's not something that i really cared about when the bullets were flying, my only real complaint is with the aging Halo graphics.  the creativity and art design from Bungie is excellent as always, but some of the character faces and animations were just plain bad by current standards (especially Buck).  it was a little strange to see some characters or settings that looked great, then jump to a cutscene with Buck's blocky face and stiff animation.  i don't consider that a game-breaking issue though...not in light of the otherwise great gameplay and level design.  the story was decent, but i have to admit that i was expecting a more interesting revelation later in the game.  i am considering a replay of Halo 3 now to refresh my memory on how the end of this game ties into the bigger story though...

overall, i think ODST is a great addition to the Halo franchise and was well worth the price.  now i just need to spend some time with Firefight and see what all the fuss is about...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 06:07:20 AM »

firefight is exactly like the last mission
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2009, 04:41:11 AM »

Finally got to try some co-op tonight.  Hooked up with three guys from work, and we wound up finishing up the host's co-op save.  It was actually perfect for me, because we started just after the mission I'm on in single player.  Unfortunately, we were on normal.  While this difficulty is fairly hard for me solo, with four of us, it was a joke.  We pretty much ramboed through everything with only a handful of deaths.

That said, I had a good time.  It was kind of nice wandering through the city in the between-level sections, though there were times when I wish I had a better idea of where we were going.  The downside of going through the campaign like this was that I missed a lot of the story nuance.  I got what was going on most times, but with four of us, there tended to be a lot of goofing around over voice chat, so I missed some scenes and a lot of the mid-mission voiceover.  So that's too bad.  I'll probably finish off my solo campaign so I can get the story as well as pick up some of the achievements I didn't before.  Still looking forward to trying out firefight.

Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2009, 01:04:23 AM »

Finally received my copy and just finished it.

Played on Heroic and enjoyed it a lot. Only a couple spots had me cursing and usually from my own choices. Nice change from the straight up action of the main 3 titles. I would like to see what the team could come up with given more time.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2009, 12:29:46 AM »

Here's my impressions -

1) The single player game is solid, if a bit repetitive during the New Mombasa free-roam area.
2) Play through the SP solo first, co-op doesn't really let you enjoy it as much. You end up feeling like a shopper rushing to the next sale.
3) The audio tracks were worth listening to. I enjoyed the very last bit, and you then REALLY get to know what VRGL (Virgil, a crude but endearing AI subroutine in the New Mombasa SUPERINTENDANT AI) and get to know what his comments are all about (the cop in the hive, for instance). If you watch there is a slideshow of images for each track.
4) I don't think I'll buy this one, but it DOES have me looking forward to Halo:Reach. Hopefully we get some more feeling out of the soldiers in the crew dropped in ODST.

Lastly (to speak on the Daehawk/Laner comments found in the Firefight thread here), the storyline overlaps with both Halo 2 AND Halo 3.
Spoiler for Hiden:
The ODST pods being dropped at the beginning of the game are disrupted by Regret fleeing Earth (that would be the beginning of Halo 2). Since everything the Rookie does happens over 6 hours after the crash landing, the flashbacks that the Rookie obtains from the beacons (ultimately from Virgil) occur while Master Chief is off at Installation No. 5. The arrival of all the carriers (signalling the end of Halo 2) only occurs during/after the Data Hive level - this is remarked by Buck at the beginning of the last level, and Dare gets mad at him for not sharing that info. This would be the proper beginning of Halo 3, as Master Chief is a stowaway on the Covenant fleet and does his skydive routine into the jungles around New Mombasa.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2009, 07:42:42 PM »

As I mentioned in a earlier post, this game gave me an inkling to finish my Halo 2 replay. It seems to have done the trick as the somewhat convoluted H2 story seemed a bit more lucid having just played ODST. H2 actually grabbed me this time, and I played it almost non-stop to completion. I think it helped that I was on normal difficulty and was already about 1/4 of the way in. The only other time I've completed it, was on co-op split-screen at Heroic difficulty, which resulted in some stagnating moments despite having a partner along. It's definitely a more difficult game than 3 or ODST and my god is it long - isn't helped by the fact that it drags a bit at the end. Definitely a good looking Xbox game as it still impressed me despite having just completed ODST and recently completed a H3 replay. As well, the "I'm going to finish the fight" cliff hanger ending didn't seems so bad since I've recently...umm...finished the fight. smile

BTW: On the 2nd disk of H2 LE there's an artist outtakes video. It made me smile when they showed the Engineer -almost identical to the Engineer in ODST- and bemoaned that they couldn't find a way to fit it into H2. slywink
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2009, 06:11:27 AM »

Only two pages of impressions for this = Fail?  ninja

Planning on peeling myself away from Aion to finish this up before Brutal Legend comes out  dude

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2009, 06:32:21 AM »

I don't think so. It plays like a Halo, there's nothing more to say. I really dug the presentation. I don't know why, but this game just grabbed me bad in SP(in a good way). I played halo 3 on coop and beat it the same night it came out(hooray for being up til almost 8am heh). Never wanted to touch it again and just played MP til modern warfare came out. But this was a lot of fun and I may go back and try to play on heroic once the gaming season ends.

I thought fire fight was a blast. I've always loved these mods where just hordes of enemies keep coming towards you. Ever since those unreal games, I've always wanted to see more of it. Plus the modifies keep it fresh every round.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2009, 06:16:27 AM »

The game sold over 2.5 mil (http://www.usatoday.com/life/lifestyle/2009-10-05-halo-spins-off-products_N.htm) so I guess it wasn't quite a failure  thumbsup

I just finished the campaign on normal, short and very sweet. My expectations were exceeded actually, the campaign didn't have the scope of Halo 3 but it was definitely cool. I'm disappointed that I wasn't able to collect all the audio files, I really enjoyed them. Only got like half of them, infact.

Next, firefight. Are you guys still doing this?

Sean Lama
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2009, 03:08:08 AM »

As always, late to the party, but it's pretty fun.  I think it's too dark, and I hate the visor.  Don't know why they thought they needed to change it.  The new vehicles are cool, and the sound effects sound great!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2009, 04:19:05 AM »

I'm late too, but it's on its way from Gamefly and I should be getting it tomorrow.  figured I'd rather rent it than spend 50 bucks on it since I'm kinda intrigued by the open city.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2009, 06:29:39 AM »

Quote from: naednek on October 31, 2009, 03:08:08 AM

As always, late to the party, but it's pretty fun.  I think it's too dark, and I hate the visor.  Don't know why they thought they needed to change it.  The new vehicles are cool, and the sound effects sound great!

It's too dark by default, just go into the options and turn up the brightness... easy.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2009, 06:33:40 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 31, 2009, 04:19:05 AM

I'm late too, but it's on its way from Gamefly and I should be getting it tomorrow.  figured I'd rather rent it than spend 50 bucks on it since I'm kinda intrigued by the open city.

Don't get too excited by the "open" aspect of it.

Sean Lama
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: