http://gamingtrend.com
September 30, 2014, 10:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo- It's been 10 years  (Read 1505 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2009, 04:31:24 AM »

since it was announced to the world.  I remember when it was supposed to be a Mac/PC title, and then it got switched to the X-Box.  it's funny to watch Steve Jobs talking about in '99, with him saying 'this game is going to ship next year'  icon_lol

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:50:38 AM »

Would you believe my only exposure to Halo was the PC port of the first game in the series?  I thought it was awful.  I am eyeing up Halo 3 for the 360 though.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:09:07 AM »

You should, halo 3 is good fun. me and 2 buddies beat the game the same night. it's pretty short but was a lot of fun.

the mp was an absolute blast. some of the custom game types were awesome to play
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »

Do not- I repeat- do not buy Halo 3 for the single player. The writing is some of the worst and most hackneyed of any game you'll ever play.  The multi-player is sublime though and bungie.net is the greatest stat tracking website evar.
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »

Well, it'd primarily be for my girlfriend and I to play through.  We had a blast playing GoW 1+2 and we expect Halo 3 to be good fun too.  Are there any local multiplayer options besides playing through the campaign?

Steam profile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 11:23:33 AM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 23, 2009, 11:20:32 AM

Well, it'd primarily be for my girlfriend and I to play through.  We had a blast playing GoW 1+2 and we expect Halo 3 to be good fun too.  Are there any local multiplayer options besides playing through the campaign?

Ah. Coop is definitely fun.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 11:47:24 AM »

i actually preferred Halo 3 than the other two,i am not a massive Halo fan...for some reason the warthog was easier to drive for me than in the first one,which was one of the main reasons i didnt like the first Halo game as much

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:19:25 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on July 23, 2009, 09:11:00 AM

Do not- I repeat- do not buy Halo 3 for the single player. The writing is some of the worst and most hackneyed of any game you'll ever play.  The multi-player is sublime though and bungie.net is the greatest stat tracking website evar.

retard

Do not listen to this man.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
msteelers

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM »

Quote from: pr0ner on July 23, 2009, 02:19:25 PM

retard

Agreed. While the writing isn't the best, most of that is presentation, IMO. It is far from hackneyed though.

Tune in to hear me spout nonsense about Fantasy Football every Thursday evening at 6:08.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:35:10 PM »

Quote from: msteelers on July 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM

retard

Agreed. While the writing isn't the best, most of that is presentation, IMO. It is far from hackneyed though.

I'll be the 3rd person to chime in and say the stories fine, in fact IMO it's one of the better in a FPS in recent years. The game is most definitely 1 of the best offline co-op games on the 360; I've played thru co-op 3 times now and will probably play it a 4th.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:42:08 PM »

I loved Halo 3's single player campaign (with the exception of one level) and played through most if twice.  Much, much better than Halo 2 and probably also superior to Halo 1. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 02:48:02 PM »

I'm not sure how all the trite conventions of story telling add up to be a good story

Spoiler for Hiden:
"RAWR DID YOU THINK I WOULD LET YOU GET AWAY RAWRRRR!"

but neither do I understand how the new Transformers movie has made a gojillion dollars or how anyone can like the new Indiana Jones movie.

I guess good writing doesn't matter. Also. Giant plant monsters FTL!  headbang

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 02:50:08 PM by SensuousLettuce » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 02:48:20 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2009, 02:35:10 PM

Quote from: msteelers on July 23, 2009, 02:26:30 PM

retard

I'll be the 3rd person to chime in and say the stories fine, in fact IMO it's one of the better in a FPS in recent years. The game is most definitely 1 of the best offline co-op games on the 360; I've played thru co-op 3 times now and will probably play it a 4th.

well I'm not going to be the only one to agree with SL so go Halo 3!  paranoid

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 02:54:21 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 23, 2009, 02:48:20 PM

well I'm not going to be the only one to agree with SL so go Halo 3!  paranoid

unibrow icon_mrgreen
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 03:17:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 23, 2009, 02:42:08 PM

I loved Halo 3's single player campaign (with the exception of one level)

There's always one, isn't there? slywink

Steam profile
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 04:09:24 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on July 23, 2009, 03:17:54 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 23, 2009, 02:42:08 PM

I loved Halo 3's single player campaign (with the exception of one level)

There's always one, isn't there? slywink

yes, and by yourself, it's a huge pita.  with more people, not only is it doable on legendary, it's also kind of fun. 
i played through most of it the first day it came out and then co-op'ed through with 3 others in legendary the next two nights after i beat it.  great fun and more than worthwhile to get for co-op.  mp is great fun and you could spend a whole year playing it. 

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 04:58:41 PM »

Halo 3 was an awesome game, single and multi. It's not Metal Gear Solid level writing, but it's good compared to the current standard.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 05:06:16 PM »

I also love Halo's story and especially liked Halo 3's single player mode.  I also played through it twice.  I wish more games had as interesting a universe as Halo does.
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 06:44:26 PM »

The writing wasn't OMG AWESOME, but it was passable. Coop is a lot of fun and the ability to play coop over live is great.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on July 23, 2009, 04:58:41 PM

Halo 3 was an awesome game, single and multi. It's not Metal Gear Solid level writing, but it's good compared to the current standard.

LOL.  When we point to Metal Gear as great writing that just shows the sad state of storytelling in the gaming industry.

I thought the single player "story" in the Halo series was pretty crappy.  But the non-scripted encounters, vehicle sequences, and co-op make the campaign well worth playing.  Just click through the story parts, you won't miss much IMHO.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 06:59:35 PM »

The story in the Halo series does indeed suck. I've mentioned this before, but I gave up on the series when I got to the part with the malevolent aquatic fern in Halo 2. Things can't get much worse for a game when its story draws inspiration from Little Shop of Horrors.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 10:32:28 PM »

So....now that we've thoroughly hashed whether the Halo story is great, passable or terrible;  Roll Eyes it still amazes me how Gates and crew managed to scoop the game away from Apple. Viewing Job's intro 10 years ago brings back memories of that movie, The Pirates of Silicon Valley. In particular the scene where Jobs has just given the 1st showing of the Mac Big Brother commercial at MacWorld 83 and then finds out Microsoft has Windows installed on PC's in Japan. The scene ends with these words.
Steve Jobs: We're better than you are! We have better stuff.
Bill Gates: You don't get it, Steve. That doesn't matter.

In retrospect Halo seems like yet another instance in a series of events where Jobs just didn't get it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 02:48:38 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2009, 10:32:28 PM

So....now that we've thoroughly hashed whether the Halo story is great, passable or terrible;  Roll Eyes it still amazes me how Gates and crew managed to scoop the game away from Apple. Viewing Job's intro 10 years ago brings back memories of that movie, The Pirates of Silicon Valley. In particular the scene where Jobs has just given the 1st showing of the Mac Big Brother commercial at MacWorld 83 and then finds out Microsoft has Windows installed on PC's in Japan. The scene ends with these words.

In retrospect Halo seems like yet another instance in a series of events where Jobs just didn't get it.

Eh, I don't think Halo would have remotely the same impact had it not been on Xbox.  Hell, it probably wouldn't have been the same game.  We might be talking about Bungie the way we talk about Looking Glass. 

Halo, an FPS, on Xbox, at launch is really a perfect storm and remove any component and I think the entire scenario changes. 
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2009, 03:09:11 AM »

Go track down the '98 or '99 e3 movie of it. It wasn't going to be the same game.

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2009, 04:17:13 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on July 24, 2009, 02:48:38 AM

Quote from: kronovan on July 23, 2009, 10:32:28 PM

Eh, I don't think Halo would have remotely the same impact had it not been on Xbox. 

it really wouldn't have. pc gamers would have torn it apart, in fact I think they did. but on a console it controlled so well and the MP was a blast. It reminded a lot of people of goldeneye, which is why it got a big hit.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 03:10:26 PM »

Remember it wasn't going to be an FPS on the PC/Mac it was originally being designed as an RTS in the same vein as Myth. So I think the PC and Mac community would have loved it.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 04:13:40 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on July 24, 2009, 03:10:26 PM

Remember it wasn't going to be an FPS on the PC/Mac it was originally being designed as an RTS in the same vein as Myth. So I think the PC and Mac community would have loved it.

That was my understanding as well. It's ironic and it took almost a decade, but we more or less got that game in Halo Wars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: