http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 07:02:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3 reviewed  (Read 5235 times)
msduncan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:12:37 PM »

9.5 from IGN
9.5 from Gamespot
5 Stars from Gamespy
10 from Pro-G
10 from Eurogamers
10 from 1UP
9.7 from TeamXbox

So there you have it.    Must have first day purchase.    I can't wait!
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 08:17:07 PM »

Personally, I'm suspicious.  Then again, I've never viewed Halo as anything other than an average FPS that just happened to be on the 'hot' console at the time, and got the huge fanbase.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 08:21:15 PM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 23, 2007, 08:17:07 PM

Personally, I'm suspicious.  Then again, I've never viewed Halo as anything other than an average FPS that just happened to be on the 'hot' console at the time, and got the huge fanbase.

And how many of those reviewers actually played the game to completion? Or will we have another repeat of the god-awful 'ending' that no reviewers talked about at all in Halo 2?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 08:25:31 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 23, 2007, 08:21:15 PM

And how many of those reviewers actually played the game to completion? Or will we have another repeat of the god-awful 'ending' that no reviewers talked about at all in Halo 2?

Having seen the ending, and not wanting to spoil it, I guess it wraps it up. Suppusedly there's a better ending for finishing in Legendary,(thanks for fucking the people without l33t skills Bungie), but no one has posted that on Youtube.

Frankly, I lost interest in the series with the second game. Multiplayer isn't that important to me, and I am sure lots of people will buy and enjoy this, but I hate how the "perfect" 10/10 gets thrown around when a game is clearly not "perfect". That's why I generally dislike seeing scores without reading the actual reviews.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2007, 08:37:43 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 23, 2007, 08:25:31 PM

...hate how the "perfect" 10/10 gets thrown around when a game is clearly not "perfect". That's why I generally dislike seeing scores without reading the actual reviews.

Yeah, but none of the perfect 10 sites are really respected sites in my book. The Gamespot review is the only one that means crap to me in that list.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2007, 08:45:30 PM »

here's a link to a great list;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192909

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2007, 08:58:03 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on September 23, 2007, 08:25:31 PM

Quote from: Destructor on September 23, 2007, 08:21:15 PM

Having seen the ending, and not wanting to spoil it, I guess it wraps it up. Suppusedly there's a better ending for finishing in Legendary,(thanks for fucking the people without l33t skills Bungie), but no one has posted that on Youtube.

Frankly, I lost interest in the series with the second game. Multiplayer isn't that important to me, and I am sure lots of people will buy and enjoy this, but I hate how the "perfect" 10/10 gets thrown around when a game is clearly not "perfect". That's why I generally dislike seeing scores without reading the actual reviews.

You would probably be able to complete legendary in co-op mode.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 09:21:18 PM »

Just watched the Gamespot video review and it looks fantastic.  Can't wait.  Tons and tons of stuff inside.  Have to say that I am kinda giddy.  Haven't felt that in awhile.

I'm sure Mass Effect's launch will make me feel as silly as well.  Great year to be a gamer. 

But, if my 360 dies before I finish this game I will literally shove it up Gates' @ss.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 09:40:44 PM »

I'm not planning on buying Halo 3, but Tom Chck's comments at QT3 sealed the deal for me:

But like id with their engines, Bungie struggles with the creative part of the equation. Nowhere is this more evident than in Halo 3. Six years later, it's still repeating the formula established in Halo 1. Virtually every single moment and location is recycled from the first two games (the "new" area was done just as well in at least two other games). The engine doesn't even look much better and, frankly, the gunplay is so very 2001. This is the same Halo you knew and loved, or didn't love, as the case may be. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful multiplayer game, mostly because millions will play it. But as a single player game, it's a classic case of the arrested development that makes our hobby the domain of teenage boys, grown up and otherwise.

OUT! Full review here: http://www.quartertothree.com/inhouse/news/365/
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 09:46:13 PM »

Typically, if Gamespot gives a game a 9.5 it's without a doubt something worth playing.

1up, as well, but they throw 10's around a bit too frequently.

I pre-ordered it for 45.00 shipped and am excited to play it.

That said, I never expected it to be my GOTY, so my expectations are middlesville.

Oh, and chick says he finished it in one night....8-10 hrs.  Who in the real world can devote 8 to 10 hrs to a game in one evening?  Give me a break.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 09:51:46 PM »

Quote from: ATB on September 23, 2007, 09:46:13 PM

Oh, and chick says he finished it in one night....8-10 hrs.  Who in the real world can devote 8 to 10 hrs to a game in one evening?  Give me a break.

When it's Halo, people make the time. I know my brother (who works a 40 hour work week otherwise) is devoting time to beat it without sleep come midnight tomorrow.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 09:56:19 PM »

I usually agree with Tom Chick's reviews.  But if his main complaint is that the gameplay is just like Halo1, which is my favorite console based FPS of all time, I'm not that concerned.  Also I'm not sure how all of these reveiws can address multiplayer, which is what most people will be playing after the first week anyway.  The Gamspot video review was pretty comprehensive, but even they just showed beta footage. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »

Typically, if Gamespot gives a game a 9.5 it's without a doubt something worth playing.

1up, as well, but they throw 10's around a bit too frequently.

I pre-ordered it for 45.00 shipped and am excited to play it.

That said, I never expected it to be my GOTY, so my expectations are middlesville.

I saw him playing alllll night while I was playing COD4 Beta. I was so envious. Still am. Damn him. I want to play.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 23, 2007, 09:56:19 PM

I usually agree with Tom Chick's reviews.  But if his main complaint is that the gameplay is just like Halo1, which is my favorite console based FPS of all time, I'm not that concerned.

Big fan of Halo 1 too, but I couldn't finish it due to my XBox always locking up when I completed one of the later missions. That said I watched Gamespots video review, and it looked just like Halo 1. I think it will be great fun, just nothing new, as was said.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2007, 10:27:10 PM »

CVG gave it a 9.7...but had a bad point saying that the campaign was too short

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2007, 10:29:50 PM »

Those were some of the most unenthusiastic 9.5/10 reviews I've ever seen.  If I had to guess a score based on the text of most of the reviews that I read I would've guess scores in the 8 range. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 10:35:21 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on September 23, 2007, 09:40:44 PM

I'm not planning on buying Halo 3, but Tom Chck's comments at QT3 sealed the deal for me:

But like id with their engines, Bungie struggles with the creative part of the equation. Nowhere is this more evident than in Halo 3. Six years later, it's still repeating the formula established in Halo 1. Virtually every single moment and location is recycled from the first two games (the "new" area was done just as well in at least two other games). The engine doesn't even look much better and, frankly, the gunplay is so very 2001. This is the same Halo you knew and loved, or didn't love, as the case may be. I'm sure it'll be a wonderful multiplayer game, mostly because millions will play it. But as a single player game, it's a classic case of the arrested development that makes our hobby the domain of teenage boys, grown up and otherwise.

Awww Tom Chick being contrary about a game that appeals to the masses and casual gamers and has too much "teenage boy" appeal. What a surprise, it doesn't cater for the hardcore true gamer! I would never have guessed he would have found a way to be edgy and different in a Halo 3 review. No, of course not, after all, he is a real journalist.

Can't stand the guy and his reviews (sorry KMG, I know he is one of your favorites).

All that being said, I agree with Kevin that many of the reviews I have read seem less excited than their scores indicate....when they are talking about single player (and even then they seem to think its a fitting conclusion), but almost all of them rave over the multi. Either way, I am not sure why I care either way. I am getting the game, I know I am going to enjoy it, so frankly I don't really care if they gave it all 5s or all 10s.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 10:41:59 PM »

Poor 1 - 10 Excellent

Halo - 6....Was a 8 or 9 up until the middle when it made me go backward through what id done and threw more baddies at me.
Halo 2 - Passed since one was'nt good enough
Halo 3 - Maybe if it comes to PC i can download it and try it out smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 10:42:51 PM »

considering I normally get 4 to 6 hours of sleep I can see myself being able to do that.  right now the games is starting to slide towards the 'rental' column.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2007, 10:42:51 PM

right now the games is starting to slide towards the 'rental' column.

9.7 average on the reviews too low for you?

Lee

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 23, 2007, 10:35:21 PM

Awww Tom Chick being contrary about a game that appeals to the masses and casual gamers and has too much "teenage boy" appeal. What a surprise, it doesn't cater for the hardcore true gamer! I would never have guessed he would have found a way to be edgy and different in a Halo 3 review. No, of course not, after all, he is a real journalist.

Can't stand the guy and his reviews (sorry KMG, I know he is one of your favorites).

All that being said, I agree with Kevin that many of the reviews I have read seem less excited than their scores indicate....when they are talking about single player (and even then they seem to think its a fitting conclusion), but almost all of them rave over the multi. Either way, I am not sure why I care either way. I am getting the game, I know I am going to enjoy it, so frankly I don't really care if they gave it all 5s or all 10s.

Seems like that is what all the reviews are saying, Mr. Chick just put it more bluntly. It's Halo 1, its a good game, and mulitplayer will be fun if your into that, but it's nothing new or that exciting.
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 10:51:57 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on September 23, 2007, 10:45:54 PM

Read the reviews and don't go off the rating so much. Or watch a video of it. It really does seem to be overhyped the more I read/watch. I still think it will be great fun, but the review scores seem inflated.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 10:53:36 PM »

Reviews aside, if anyone has played Halo 1 or 2, then I'm pretty sure that they know what they're getting into with Halo 3.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 10:53:53 PM »

I'm not really interested in the MP portion, so 8-10 hours is more of a rental for a game that I doubt I'll ever replay.

Because I can,
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 11:02:41 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2007, 10:53:53 PM

I'm not really interested in the MP portion, so 8-10 hours is more of a rental for a game that I doubt I'll ever replay.

I've hear 10-15 hours. If you've played the other 2 you might as well finish the fight.  icon_biggrin

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2007, 11:03:19 PM »

Quote from: Lee on September 23, 2007, 10:50:19 PM

Quote from: Calvin on September 23, 2007, 10:35:21 PM

Seems like that is what all the reviews are saying, Mr. Chick just put it more bluntly. It's Halo 1, its a good game, and mulitplayer will be fun if your into that, but it's nothing new or that exciting.

No, that isn't what all of the other reviews are saying. Most are saying the SP is good, if a tad short and a tad lacking in innovation. Mr. Chick (....) is pretty much saying he doesn't think its any good because its too similar to what it was-and its part of what is supposedly holding us back into the tragic world of gamers as teenagers. It was difficult to wade through the condescension to get his point, but I managed in the end. Kinda. I think. Anyhoo, really, reviews will be reviews until the end of time. I am just starting to absolutely care not a whit about them.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2007, 11:06:53 PM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on September 23, 2007, 11:02:41 PM

I've hear 10-15 hours. If you've played the other 2 you might as well finish the fight.  icon_biggrin

I also saw that if you play 4 player co-op expect 4-5 hours to complete it on Legendary  icon_eek

Because I can,
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2007, 11:14:57 PM »

I have no delusions that it will be my personal game of the year.  I don't see that at all, but I think it will be a very good game and like it was said before, if you have  followed Halo you almost HAVE to finish the fight.  I mean come on, it is undoubtably the highest selling, most hyped game series of all time.  Who can NOT finish it? Buy it, don't buy it-that is not the issue, but finish it we must.  It is almost our gaming duty.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2007, 11:15:54 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 23, 2007, 11:06:53 PM

Quote from: Sparhawk on September 23, 2007, 11:02:41 PM

I also saw that if you play 4 player co-op expect 4-5 hours to complete it on Legendary  icon_eek

EWW...but the again ..4 players

8-10 hrs for a single player isnt bad,as most people are better than me at these type of games so it will prolly take me a little longer

now that this Halo stuff is over,i am interested to see what else Bungie can do

EDIT;on another note i jsut started to watch the review over at gamertrailers.com...but they started to 'show' way to much that i wanted to save for when i am actually playing the game,so i suggest you steer clear from there...for now anyway
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 11:27:01 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2007, 11:30:41 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on September 23, 2007, 11:14:57 PM

I have no delusions that it will be my personal game of the year.  I don't see that at all, but I think it will be a very good game and like it was said before, if you have  followed Halo you almost HAVE to finish the fight.  I mean come on, it is undoubtably the highest selling, most hyped game series of all time.  Who can NOT finish it? Buy it, don't buy it-that is not the issue, but finish it we must.  It is almost our gaming duty.

Hyperbole much?

Oh and Halo series hasn't sold nearly as much as several series, including GTA and Super Mario Brothers...Most hyped, I can conceed that, they've overhyped Halo 3.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 11:41:47 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 23, 2007, 10:29:50 PM

Those were some of the most unenthusiastic 9.5/10 reviews I've ever seen.  If I had to guess a score based on the text of most of the reviews that I read I would've guess scores in the 8 range. 

Yea the 1UP review text for example just doesn't match the 10 score it got. The reviews seems to be around the 8 range when reading them with 1.5-2 points added on because its Halo.

I'll still buy the game since I have enjoyed the last two and I know I'll probably get my money's worth from the multi player.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 11:47:44 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on September 23, 2007, 11:41:47 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 23, 2007, 10:29:50 PM

Yea the 1UP review text for example just doesn't match the 10 score it got. The reviews seems to be around the 8 range when reading them with 1.5-2 points added on because its Halo.

I'll still buy the game since I have enjoyed the last two and I know I'll probably get my money's worth from the multi player.
After reading most of those reviews I tend to agree with you.  That pretty much makes most of the gaming press look like a joke.  I understand that sites want to get reviews out just as the embargo ends, but I would estimate that a high percentage of people will be buying Halo 3 for multiplayer and it is impossible to review the MP before people are actually playing the game online.

That being said I still plan on a day one purchase and getting countless hours of enjoyment out of the game. 

Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 11:48:29 PM »

Well i've got it on the top of my GF Q.   If i get it at release, great.   If not, i don't know if i'll ever get it.   I don't like nor do i get the hype of Halo's mp.   I briefly played Halo 1 and 2 mp and i have no clue what the draw is to it.

I've got numerous games i wanna get to along with Halo 3 and if i can't get it from GF, i won't buy it.   I just don't understand the attraction.

Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 01:40:02 AM »

If it's basically the same gameplay as Halo 1, then yes, it deserves an 8. 

Halo was, and is, a thoroughly generic FPS.  It just happened to be on what was the 'hot' console at the time (the Xbox), and was the first actually decent shooter to show up on a console other than Goldeneye 64.  Combine that with multiplayer over Xbox Live, and people went nuts.  This continued with Halo 2 and now Halo 3.

It doesn't change the fact that it's only an average shooter.  I'd take F.E.A.R., Half-Life (1), Half-Life 2, and possibly a few others over it in a heartbeat. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 01:47:13 AM »

Quote from: Zarkon on September 24, 2007, 01:40:02 AM

Halo was, and is, a thoroughly generic FPS.  It just happened to be on what was the 'hot' console at the time (the Xbox), and was the first actually decent shooter to show up on a console other than Goldeneye 64.  Combine that with multiplayer over Xbox Live, and people went nuts.  This continued with Halo 2 and now Halo 3.

I can't agree with that.  Halo 1 had some pretty influential mechanics.  In particular the recharge health has become a FPS standard these days.  Also, limiting the inventory to two weapons has also become quite popular.  While it was obviously an interface limitation it actually changed the gameplay since it forced you to vary your play tactics depending on what weapons were on hand and what ammo you had.  One button grenade tosses as well- before Halo the standard grenade mechanic was to switch to it like any other weapon and then throw, then switch back. 

All of those have had enormous impact on the FPS genre since on both console and PC. 

Also- Xbox wasn't a "hot" console at all.  It got out of the gate very slow and the PS2 had the spotlight with the Cube even getting off to a better start.  Halo is what made the Xbox, not the other way around.  Halo 1 didn't have Live support (or any other internet mp) at all- Xbox Live didn't hit until a year after the hardware launched.  Halo 2 was the first one with Live integration. 
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 01:49:39 AM »

It doesn't change the fact that it's only an average shooter.  I'd take F.E.A.R., Half-Life (1), Half-Life 2, and possibly a few others over it in a heartbeat. 

I'll give you the Half-Lifes cause they were awesome...but F.E.A.R??  LOL

F.E.A.R is possibly one of the only FPSes that was actually *more* repetitive in its level design than Halo 1...you don't remember all those ridiculously boring and seemingly endless office levels?  F.E.A.R was completely overrated
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 01:55:42 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 24, 2007, 01:47:13 AM

I can't agree with that.  Halo 1 had some pretty influential mechanics.  In particular the recharge health has become a FPS standard these days.  Also, limiting the inventory to two weapons has also become quite popular.  While it was obviously an interface limitation it actually changed the gameplay since it forced you to vary your play tactics depending on what weapons were on hand and what ammo you had.  One button grenade tosses as well- before Halo the standard grenade mechanic was to switch to it like any other weapon and then throw, then switch back. 

All of those have had enormous impact on the FPS genre since on both console and PC. 

Also- Xbox wasn't a "hot" console at all.  It got out of the gate very slow and the PS2 had the spotlight with the Cube even getting off to a better start.  Halo is what made the Xbox, not the other way around

exactly, lol

I have no f'in clue what the hell Zarkon is talking about saying the xbox was a 'hot' console

and then combine that with the fact that he is so insistent in trying to criticize the Halos that he can't even get his facts straight with regards to xbox live/MP, and it's pretty obvious that he's just trying to troll.  either that or he's just dumb if that's what he really thought
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2007, 01:58:03 AM »

Agreed that it added some interesting ideas that made FPS viable and fun on console but the gameplay still felt very generic for a lot of us who've played FPS for years.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »

Halo is what made the Xbox, not the other way around.  Halo 1 didn't have Live support (or any other internet mp) at all- Xbox Live didn't hit until a year after the hardware launched.  Halo 2 was the first one with Live integration. 

Which is why its overrated. Its was the only good game on the Xbox at launch and for quite awhile afterward. It got all the attention. It was also the first good FPS on console(Sorry but Goldeneye 64 is even more overrated than Halo). It was a product of timing not massive innovation and quality that had never been seen before..well I guess it was if you never played anything but console games.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2007, 02:09:09 AM »

Quote from: skystride on September 24, 2007, 01:58:03 AM

Agreed that it added some interesting ideas that made FPS viable and fun on console but the gameplay still felt very generic for a lot of us who've played FPS for years.

For people who played FPS's on PC's it may have felt generic.  But for console game players Halo is the game that made FPS a viable genre.  As Kevin said above Halo 1 perfected the formula, 2 weapons, control scheme, just the right amount of aim assist, shield/health mechanic, co-op, etc. 

Halo 2 enhanced multiplayer with amazing matchmaking and party system, stat tracking (old for PCs but new on consoles), virtually unlimited gametypes, etc.   

Halo 3 will add saved films, 4 way online co-op, realtime level/ game editing via Forge, equipment, and great map/weapon balance.

It's popular for the old school PC FPS players to hate on Halo, but alot of them are missing the point.  Without Halo, console based FPS would probably be niche games like console based RTS's are right now.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 02:11:42 AM by denoginizer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: