http://gamingtrend.com
July 25, 2014, 01:48:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3: Over $300 million in one week  (Read 2240 times)
JuniorDan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2007, 02:02:52 PM »

REDMOND, Wash. — Oct. 4, 2007 — Interactive entertainment will never be the same, with the launch of one title that has changed the way the world thinks about video games. “Halo® 3” has captured the attention of consumers worldwide and has made history as one of the biggest entertainment launches of all time.

Microsoft Corp. today announced that “Halo 3” has officially become a global phenomenon, garnering more than $300 million in sales in the first week alone. The critically acclaimed Xbox 360® exclusive, which was released worldwide on Tuesday, Sept. 25, is the fastest-selling video game ever and already one of the most successful entertainment properties in history.

Initial reports from retailers worldwide show console sales have more than doubled compared with the weekly average before the launch of “Halo 3.” With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games and is the only console where consumers can play all the year’s biggest blockbusters.

http://www.majornelson.com/default.aspx
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 02:05:58 PM by JuniorDan » Logged

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 02:07:53 PM »

That is more than 3.75million sold (if that total includes taxes, ltd editions etc so it would average 80/per). If the average is 65 it means they've sold 4.6million, and if they're at 50 bux we're looking down the barrel of 6 million copies.

I wonder if they're including all the Halo3 "gear" like the headsets and the console bundles...

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 02:08:17 PM »

I wonder if they'll pass Wii this month.

And if, at 300 million in a week, it is 'one of the most successful' what has topped it?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:10:30 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 04, 2007, 02:08:17 PM

And if, at 300 million in a week, it is 'one of the most successful' what has topped it?

is the fastest-selling video game ever

They're comparing this to ANY entertainment media, so there is likely 30-40 movies in the past 15 years that have done that much business. Perhaps more.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »

They can sell as many copies as they can make. It doesn't change the fact that I think the Halo series is overhyped and overblown suckage. But then again I hated "Titanic" when I saw it opening night, so what do I know?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 02:17:04 PM »

Man, I wish video games would get out of their sad little "we're bigger than movies!  Really!  Please pay attention to us!" mode.  Companies should just be proud of their successes within their given field instead of constantly projecting an inferiority complex everywhere. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 02:28:07 PM »

Quote from: whiteboyskim on October 04, 2007, 02:14:05 PM

They can sell as many copies as they can make. It doesn't change the fact that I think the Halo series is overhyped and overblown suckage. But then again I hated "Titanic" when I saw it opening night, so what do I know?

Have you played Halo 3?

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 02:30:34 PM »

I kinda thought psychonauts was overhyped. Tongue

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 02:31:53 PM »

Yeah, Titanic was a load of crap.

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 02:30:34 PM

I kinda thought psychonauts was overhyped. Tongue

I kinda thought you suck.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 02:32:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 02:28:07 PM

Have you played Halo 3?

I have and I agree with him.

except for the Titanic bit.

Titanic was fun.  Leonardo died.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »

Titanic was fun.  Leonardo died.
I can't be the only one who cheered and was almost thrown out of the theater by a bunch of weeping chicks....

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 02:41:38 PM »

You guys actually contributed to this toppling Star Wars??  For shame!
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 02:44:36 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 04, 2007, 02:39:11 PM

I can't be the only one who cheered and was almost thrown out of the theater by a bunch of weeping chicks....

I said out loud 'he said 'don't let go bitch'!' and got a bunch of dirty stares.  the whole sinking was the best part of the movie- i've watched the second disc of the movie many times when I need a perk me up.

Because I can,
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 02:51:48 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2007, 02:44:36 PM

I said out loud 'he said 'don't let go bitch'!' and got a bunch of dirty stares.  the whole sinking was the best part of the movie- i've watched the second disc of the movie many times when I need a perk me up.

You guys do realize that the old lady was just making up the whole thing.  Right?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2007, 03:01:59 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 02:51:48 PM

I said out loud 'he said 'don't let go bitch'!' and got a bunch of dirty stares.  the whole sinking was the best part of the movie- i've watched the second disc of the movie many times when I need a perk me up.

You guys do realize that the old lady was just making up the whole thing.  Right?

The Titanic didn't really sink?  eek icon_wink

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 03:03:20 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2007, 03:01:59 PM

Just transformed...into a submarine!
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 03:24:27 PM »

Goddamned Decepticons.... I hate Subterfuge and his triple-changer ways.

I support anything, I mean ANYTHING that can topple Star Wars.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 03:25:44 PM »

Initial reports from retailers worldwide show console sales have more than doubled compared with the weekly average before the launch of “Halo 3.” With games such as “Halo 3,” “Madden 08” (EA Sports), “Mass Effect” (Microsoft Game Studios) and “Rock Band” (Harmonix), Xbox 360 has the greatest lineup in the history of video games and is the only console where consumers can play all the year’s biggest blockbusters.

Greatest lineup in the history of video games?  That's some funny shit.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2007, 03:29:53 PM »

What??? Please use the spoiler tag in the future!!   icon_biggrin
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2007, 03:34:36 PM »

Quote from: Zimix on October 04, 2007, 03:29:53 PM

What??? Please use the spoiler tag in the future!!   icon_biggrin

at least I didn't mention that Harry Potter dies.
Spoiler for Hiden:

Because I can,
warning

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2007, 03:34:56 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on October 04, 2007, 03:25:44 PM

Well it is from a press release.  I don't expect them to say "Xbox 360 has a pretty good line-up right now but, damn, we wish Nintendo would just die die die die die!!!!"
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2007, 03:37:10 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 03:24:27 PM

I support anything, I mean ANYTHING that can topple Star Wars.

when it makes over 2 Billion dollars (and that's just the movies) then call me.

Because I can,
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2007, 03:40:51 PM »

Dude. Seriously, 2 Billion dollars? That's 25million copies at 80 (assume legendary or somesuch nonsense).

Oh, and you need to give it 3 decades too. Tongue

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 03:40:51 PM

Oh, and you need to give it 3 decades too. Tongue

OK, I'll give it 3 decades but only if George Lucas directs the next 3 games.  You have to play fair after all  Tongue

Because I can,
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go that far, but MS probably has the finest Fall/Winter release schedule in the history of video gaming. Obviously you have the real heavy hitters, but there is something for just about everyone being released.  I'm sure MS will also use their standard tactic of offering rebates during the holiday season. If they can't win Christmas with their Fall/Winter release lineup and price incentives, then to me it shows that games really can't save a console.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 04:28:05 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on October 04, 2007, 04:01:00 PM

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't go that far, but MS probably has the finest Fall/Winter release schedule in the history of video gaming. Obviously you have the real heavy hitters, but there is something for just about everyone being released.  I'm sure MS will also use their standard tactic of offering rebates during the holiday season. If they can't win Christmas with their Fall/Winter release lineup and price incentives, then to me it shows that games really can't save a console.

Obviously it's all subjective as to what year and on what console the best fall line-up ever may have been, at the very least you can say the 360 this year is going to be up there with the greatest. As far as "winning" Christmas, I don't understand what you mean. Do you mean having higher console sales than the Wii? If so, I think that's an unfair measuring stick because as we've seen, the Wii and the 360 aren't even aimed at the same markets. It's like hoping the iPhone outsells the Verizon Razor or whatever commonplace Verizon phone you can find. If you mean in overall software sales, I think you'll find Microsoft will have no problem mopping up the competition in that area (heck, Halo 3 alone could probably out-sell everything that comes out for the Wii and PS3 combined). To me, if the 360 can become profitable by 2008 like MS is projecting, then I think I will consider this holiday a success.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 04:39:37 PM »

Console Sales != WIN!

Seriously, who cares how many Wii consoles sell this Christmas?  Without software you are simply overpaying for Wii Sports!   Somebody please list out the must-have Wii titles please?

Mario Galaxies
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Soul Calibur Legends
Trauma Center: New Blood
Fire Emblem

Oh look, we are at 2008 already?  I'm just not seeing how the Wii can win anything this Christmas other than impulse buys created by purposeful restriction of the supply channel.  Everything else coming out is a port, or worse yet, a port of a PS2 port.  Hell, even the PS3 has a stronger holiday lineup...

*Edited for additions*
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 04:56:13 PM by Knightshade Dragon » Logged

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 04:54:20 PM »

I'm not even convinced the 360 has the best holiday lineup of this year, let alone all time. If you include the third party games that will eventually come to other platforms, than yes it does have the best lineup. If you look at exclusives only, then not so much.

KD, you forgot Fire Emblem.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2007, 05:00:52 PM »

Well, personally, I would take off Soul Caliber but would add Zak and Wiki, RE: Umbrella Chronicles, and Fire Emblem to that list.  So six Wii titles between now and the end of the year is fine by me.  That's three times what PS3 will get from me (Ratchet and Uncharted) and might even be comparable to the 360 list for me (Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, CoD 4, and probably a few others that I can't think of for the moment).

So, I've got no complaints about the Wii's lineup for the rest of the year.  Of larger concern to me is 2008. 
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2007, 05:06:12 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 04, 2007, 04:54:20 PM

I'm not even convinced the 360 has the best holiday lineup of this year, let alone all time.

Maybe not too you.  But objectively looking at the 3 consoles, I don't see how you could say that the 360 doesn't have a better lineup than Wii and PS3 this fall.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2007, 05:10:49 PM »

I'm not even convinced the 360 has the best holiday lineup of this year

Nuts you are.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2007, 05:15:07 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 02:10:30 PM

Quote from: ATB on October 04, 2007, 02:08:17 PM

is the fastest-selling video game ever

They're comparing this to ANY entertainment media, so there is likely 30-40 movies in the past 15 years that have done that much business. Perhaps more.

Ahh. I guess I was just thinking domestically...not WW. 
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2007, 05:20:47 PM »

I'm not even convinced the 360 has the best holiday lineup of this year, let alone all time. If you include the third party games that will eventually come to other platforms, than yes it does have the best lineup. If you look at exclusives only, then not so much.

KD, you forgot Fire Emblem.

The 'of all time' to my knowledge was 2001 if memory serves.  I believe that was:

Grand Theft Auto III
Halo
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2x
The Sims
Project Gotham Racing
Madden NFL 2002
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but that is an incredible lineup.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2007, 05:42:17 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 05:06:12 PM

I'm not even convinced the 360 has the best holiday lineup of this year, let alone all time.

Maybe not too you.  But objectively looking at the 3 consoles, I don't see how you could say that the 360 doesn't have a better lineup than Wii and PS3 this fall.

As I said, if you add in third-party non-exclusives then sure it's the best lineup. I'm really looking forward to CoD 4, Assassin's Creed, and Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 might even get me to reconsider my single-player only gamer status. 

EDIT: I guess since most of those are going to be exclusive to the 360 for the fall (except Orange box), it's really hard to argue that those games, coupled with Halo 3 and Mass Effect, don't constitute a killer lineup. I surrender!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 05:45:31 PM by Andrew Mallon » Logged
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2007, 05:49:02 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on October 04, 2007, 05:42:17 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 05:06:12 PM

As I said, if you add in third-party non-exclusives then sure it's the best lineup. I'm really looking forward to CoD 4, Assassin's Creed, and Orange Box. Team Fortress 2 might even get me to reconsider my single-player only gamer status. 

EDIT: I guess since most of those are going to be exclusive to the 360 for the fall (except Orange box), it's really hard to argue that those games, coupled with Halo 3 and Mass Effect, don't constitute a killer lineup. I surrender!

I would add Bioshock and PGR 4 to the list too.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2007, 05:59:18 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 05:49:02 PM

Is Bioshock part of a holiday lineup since it was released in August?  Because then things get real fuzzy.  If you want to look at a "Greatest Lineup In History" then I think 1998 easily holds the crown but not everything was released in the holidays (ie Starcraft came out in the Spring). 

Signficant 1998 releases:

Half Life
Starcraft
Fallout 2
Grim Fandango
Thief
European Air War
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I-War
Resident Evil 2
Heretic 2
Redguard (personal favorite of mine)
Freespace 1

and a lot more. 

Of those, I know that HL1, Thief, Grim Fandango, Fallout 2, Zelda, and MGS were all holiday games and just those cream just about every other year IMO. 

EDIT- Doh!  Add Baldur's Gate 1 to the incredible holiday lineup of '98. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2007, 06:00:49 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on October 04, 2007, 05:59:18 PM

Quote from: denoginizer on October 04, 2007, 05:49:02 PM

Is Bioshock part of a holiday lineup since it was released in August?  Because then things get real fuzzy.  If you want to look at a "Greatest Lineup In History" then I think 1998 easily holds the crown but not everything was released in the holidays (ie Starcraft came out in the Spring). 

Signficant 1998 releases:

Half Life
Starcraft
Fallout 2
Grim Fandango
Thief
European Air War
Metal Gear Solid
Final Fantasy Tactics
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
I-War
Resident Evil 2
Heretic 2
Redguard (personal favorite of mine)
Freespace 1

and a lot more. 

Of those, I know that HL1, Thief, Grim Fandango, Fallout 2, Zelda, and MGS were all holiday games and just those cream just about every other year IMO. 

EDIT- Doh!  Add Baldur's Gate 1 to the incredible holiday lineup of '98. 

I bet you could combine several of those titles and it still wouldn't reach the sales numbers of Halo or GTA 3 though, even though they were some of the best games in recent memory.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2007, 06:57:23 PM »

Gosh, who just said that Console Sales != Win?  icon_wink

Seriously, most would fall short of GTA's astronomical sales but a lot of those titles' individual sales would compare very favorably if not even exceed Halo's sales (specifically HL1, Zelda, Starcraft, and Metal Gear Solid). 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2007, 07:07:42 PM »

so,has this taken over Gears already then?...thats just crazy,crazy ....and have Bungie announced anything yet?,as in....'we're bugging out'

and yes,Titanic had the best feel good ending

Quote from: CeeKay on October 04, 2007, 03:01:59 PM

do i hear...Titanic 2? icon_biggrin

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on October 04, 2007, 07:07:42 PM

do i hear...Titanic 2? icon_biggrin

they were actually working on a spoof sequel at one point: Titanic 2: It Missed the Iceberg.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: