http://gamingtrend.com
September 16, 2014, 01:57:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: halo 3 multiplayer beta  (Read 888 times)
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: February 13, 2007, 04:13:03 PM »

Just curious if anyone here has gotten into it via the 2 methods they have had so far.   Or, if you have crackdown preordered to get into it as well.

- shaggy

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on February 13, 2007, 04:13:03 PM

Just curious if anyone here has gotten into it via the 2 methods they have had so far.   Or, if you have crackdown preordered to get into it as well.

- shaggy

I've got Crackdown on pre-order.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 04:51:28 PM »

Crackdown pre-ordered.  Not really sure how much I'll play the beta.  Halo only grabs me for a short while.  Then the other players tend to wear very thin.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 04:56:57 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 13, 2007, 04:51:28 PM

Crackdown pre-ordered.  Not really sure how much I'll play the beta.  Halo only grabs me for a short while.  Then the other players tend to wear very thin.
My initial excitement about Halo 3 and the multiplayer beta was tempered quite a bit by playing Halo 2 multiplayer several times for maybe 10 hours last month with the twins. I really, really did not enjoy it-and surprisingly I am more interested in Halo 3 singleplayer than multiplayer. I may still very well pick up Crackdown, but not sure how much I would play the beta.
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 04:57:52 PM »

Quote from: Jarrodhk on February 13, 2007, 04:51:28 PM

Halo only grabs me for a short while.  Then the other players tend to wear very thin.

Thus my reason for asking.   The "other players" don't wear me down if they are GT or OO crew (quite the opposite usually....loads of fun).  I had a painful time playing with people I didn't know during my 3 hour run.

- shaggy

Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 05:01:25 PM »

Quote from: shaggydoug on February 13, 2007, 04:57:52 PM

Thus my reason for asking.   The "other players" don't wear me down if they are GT or OO crew (quite the opposite usually....loads of fun).  I had a painful time playing with people I didn't know during my 3 hour run.

That's why the Halo party system is a crucial innovation - get the variety of jumping from gametype to gametype against puportedly skill-equivalent players, but with a group of people you actually like.  It honestly makes it hard for me to play other online games and have to deal with manually selecting a server, putting up with a pain in the ass host, etc.  I heart the party system tremendously.
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »

I tend to lean toward games where I can get 8+ friends together and just play against each other, actually I prefer co-op.  I'd rather have fun with friends than get annoyed with random people. 

On the other hand I've spent more time playing BF2 with Papasmurff than pretty much any other 360 game in my collection.  Of course we usually just do a private chat and I don't have to listen to the other players.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 06:01:36 PM »

i'm gonna buy crackdown for crackdown...halo 3 beta is a bonus,but will definetly try it out...even though i hated online halo 2(although halo2 online had some of the best little features,like clan etc)

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 06:35:03 PM »

I'm actually hoping they introduce some more in depth game types for Halo.  Something involving classes and two different sides and such where you can have Covenant Vs. Humans, Brute Alliance vs. Elite Alliance.  Even some interesting other modes like Survive the Flood, where one person starts off as a flood member, and anyone a flood member kills becomes another flood.

The Halo setting is ripe for such game modes with its excellent setting.  Yet it doesn't look like they plan for this, instead going with yet even more deathmatch variants.  For all the little additions, options, and mutators you can set for Halo MP, it's still basically deathmatch with extra rules to me.

Imagine a game where you have various classes like Grunt, Jackal, Brute, Elite, each with differing abilities and weapons.  Grunts would be the cheapest to spawn as and can respawn the fastest, maybe even getting their own little squad of grunts that they control, but they'd be less accurate and slow.  Elites are faster, have shields, more accurate, better weapons, but they're somewhat weak without their shields.  Juggernauts, Brutes, etc... all would have their own abilties.

On the human side you have different soldier classes, along with Helljumpers, Spartan 2's and 3's.  More teamwork related abilities.

Too bad there are no Halo mod tools because modders would just line up to make such a mod.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 08:30:23 PM »

I hate the little kids that play on Halo 2.  The thing I am looking forward to is playing with GTers or just another friend because.......Like Jarrod and I do most of the time I will be able to set a private chat so that I don't have to put up with the other people....

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on February 13, 2007, 06:35:03 PM

I'm actually hoping they introduce some more in depth game types for Halo.  Something involving classes and two different sides and such where you can have Covenant Vs. Humans, Brute Alliance vs. Elite Alliance.  Even some interesting other modes like Survive the Flood, where one person starts off as a flood member, and anyone a flood member kills becomes another flood.

The Halo setting is ripe for such game modes with its excellent setting.  Yet it doesn't look like they plan for this, instead going with yet even more deathmatch variants.  For all the little additions, options, and mutators you can set for Halo MP, it's still basically deathmatch with extra rules to me.

Imagine a game where you have various classes like Grunt, Jackal, Brute, Elite, each with differing abilities and weapons.  Grunts would be the cheapest to spawn as and can respawn the fastest, maybe even getting their own little squad of grunts that they control, but they'd be less accurate and slow.  Elites are faster, have shields, more accurate, better weapons, but they're somewhat weak without their shields.  Juggernauts, Brutes, etc... all would have their own abilties.

On the human side you have different soldier classes, along with Helljumpers, Spartan 2's and 3's.  More teamwork related abilities.

Too bad there are no Halo mod tools because modders would just line up to make such a mod.

Great, great ideas. Unfortunately I doubt we will see them.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 06:32:35 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 06:28:32 AM

I think you can expect substantive improvements to the existing "Halo experience".  No true class-based gametypes, but definitely more core game options than oddball/assault/CTF/slayer.  Halo 2 MP is all about resource management:  monopolizing weapons or weapon combos and particular locations on the map.  That bread and butter still tastes good to a large swath of players, of course.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 06:41:37 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 14, 2007, 06:32:35 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 06:28:32 AM

I think you can expect substantive improvements to the existing "Halo experience".  No true class-based gametypes, but definitely more core game options than oddball/assault/CTF/slayer.  Halo 2 MP is all about resource management:  monopolizing weapons or weapon combos and particular locations on the map.  That bread and butter still tastes good to a large swath of players, of course.

Of course it does-it also will continue to be refined deathmatch. This is still an inherently narrow, perhaps overly restrictive set of multiplayer options. I am a Halo fanboy, believe me. But that doesn't mean all the choices are right-this is the third iteration of this game, and its time we see more than deathmatch from one of the most innovative console brands in recent history.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2007, 06:58:08 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 06:41:37 AM

Of course it does-it also will continue to be refined deathmatch. This is still an inherently narrow, perhaps overly restrictive set of multiplayer options. I am a Halo fanboy, believe me. But that doesn't mean all the choices are right-this is the third iteration of this game, and its time we see more than deathmatch from one of the most innovative console brands in recent history.

I don't really disagree; there's core elements of Halo MP that they feel like they need to preserve, so it's not going to deviate into TF2 territory.  Once the Bungie guys are freed from the shackles of building another sequel, hopefully we'll see something that expands their creative arsenal a little.  Shadowrun has a much different vibe to it with sort of a hybrid Counterstrike / Wheel of Time thing going on which adds entirely new strategic elements that, frankly, I'm totally incompetent at, but it's still compelling because it's so different (for me - I hate Counterstrike, so I have very little experience with it).
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2007, 07:10:40 AM »

Quote from: Brendan on February 14, 2007, 06:58:08 AM

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 06:41:37 AM

I don't really disagree; there's core elements of Halo MP that they feel like they need to preserve, so it's not going to deviate into TF2 territory.  Once the Bungie guys are freed from the shackles of building another sequel, hopefully we'll see something that expands their creative arsenal a little.  Shadowrun has a much different vibe to it with sort of a hybrid Counterstrike / Wheel of Time thing going on which adds entirely new strategic elements that, frankly, I'm totally incompetent at, but it's still compelling because it's so different (for me - I hate Counterstrike, so I have very little experience with it).

I am intrigued by shadowrun-hope it turns out as interesting as you make it.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2007, 07:15:15 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 14, 2007, 07:10:40 AM

I am intrigued by shadowrun-hope it turns out as interesting as you make it.

I'm all about the party system!  The interesting thing will be the emergent strategies that arise with four different races, and with all the various combos of tech/spells.  I'm very much attempting to focus on a particular strategy and master that for now.

So far?  Not working.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: