http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 08:36:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3 Impressions (No Spoilers)  (Read 12320 times)
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 02, 2007, 08:14:49 PM »

So for all you Halo vets... How do you beat the Brute chieftain on level 2? After you clear the hangar, you're headed for the barracks, and there's a corridor which is packed with brutes. I can handle the brutes, but I just cannot kill that chieftain! Is there an easy way to kill him? Can his hammer attack be dodged?

By the way, I'm playing on heroic. I finished on normal, and the ramp up in difficulty is pretty big I think.
IkeVandergraaf
Gaming Trend Senior Member

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 02, 2007, 08:19:43 PM »

I think you just have to shoot him a lot of times.  But I'm playing on Normal.  Maybe hit him with a hammer.

Hey, I just noticed something.  Is the sword no longer available?  I don't really care since the hammer is about a zillion times cooler.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 02, 2007, 08:25:29 PM »

I concentrated on getting headshots with the Battle Rifle.  I could usually bring him down before he got too close.  Other times I've fought him in the game I've found that the sticky grenade types to be useful.  The hammer can be dodged- I usually jump when he swings it.

Re: The sword.  Yes it's available periodically though I have yet to pick it up this time out despite using it extensively in the second game. 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 02, 2007, 08:26:34 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 02, 2007, 08:19:43 PM

Hey, I just noticed something.  Is the sword no longer available?  I don't really care since the hammer is about a zillion times cooler.

Sword's still around, but has a limited number of uses (both in SP and MP, whereas it didn't in MP in Halo 2).
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2007, 08:40:08 PM »

Quote from: The Rocketman on October 02, 2007, 08:14:49 PM

So for all you Halo vets... How do you beat the Brute chieftain on level 2? After you clear the hangar, you're headed for the barracks, and there's a corridor which is packed with brutes. I can handle the brutes, but I just cannot kill that chieftain! Is there an easy way to kill him? Can his hammer attack be dodged?

By the way, I'm playing on heroic. I finished on normal, and the ramp up in difficulty is pretty big I think.

It took me about 40 tries to clear this hallway on Heroic.  Just keep moving.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 03, 2007, 03:57:49 AM »

when you're in the hangar just prior to that room, pick up one of the machine gun turrets and take it with you to the barracks. drop the minigun and use your smaller weapons to take out most of the brutes, then pick the big gun back up and lay into the chieftan...easiest way i've found so far icon_cool

the first time i made it past that room, i got pretty lucky...stuck him with a couple grenades as i backed up the stairs, jumped over him when he swung the hammer, and whacked him in the back of the head with the butt of my gun.  you can avoid the hammer, but it takes pretty good timing.  killing him just requires a lot of ammo or precise headshots.

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 03, 2007, 05:18:22 PM »

Well I'm on mission 5 or 6 now and I'm really enjoying the campaign now.  The first couple missions, by comparison imho, really suck.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Scarab fight was truly epic and fun!
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2007, 07:13:49 AM »

Quote from: disarm on October 03, 2007, 03:57:49 AM

when you're in the hangar just prior to that room, pick up one of the machine gun turrets and take it with you to the barracks. drop the minigun and use your smaller weapons to take out most of the brutes, then pick the big gun back up and lay into the chieftan...easiest way i've found so far icon_cool

the first time i made it past that room, i got pretty lucky...stuck him with a couple grenades as i backed up the stairs, jumped over him when he swung the hammer, and whacked him in the back of the head with the butt of my gun.  you can avoid the hammer, but it takes pretty good timing.  killing him just requires a lot of ammo or precise headshots.

Yeah, I got past him now, by using the turret on them, and being a lot more agressive. Last time I just tried to hold out, but if you actually take the fight to them, you can suppress them nicely. Grenading him and concentrating on head shots took care of the guy... But he was one hell of a hard-ass!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2007, 07:48:47 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2007, 01:43:37 PM

I then got into some MP with Peterock and crew and had a blast.  I see the crazy appeal but don't know that I could ever take the MP seriously.
Why not? Cause you aren't any good at it?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: October 04, 2007, 12:30:32 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 02, 2007, 08:26:34 PM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 02, 2007, 08:19:43 PM

Sword's still around, but has a limited number of uses (both in SP and MP, whereas it didn't in MP in Halo 2).

Sword was limited in MP Halo2 IIRC... only in swords-n-nades was it "unlimited".. no?

Sometimes the Arbiter spawns with a sword in coop campaign in Halo3.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: October 04, 2007, 12:47:24 PM »

Ok, would one of you fine gentlemen please tell me just where the hell these "skulls" are in the game? I am 4 levels in and have yet to see one, but I understand there is one on each level. Has anyone found these things?

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 04, 2007, 01:28:30 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 12:30:32 PM

Sword was limited in MP Halo2 IIRC... only in swords-n-nades was it "unlimited".. no?

Sadly, no.  It was all slice-and-dice all the time ony many of the maps (Like Lockout).   icon_eek
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: October 04, 2007, 02:00:00 PM »

Quote from: jblank on October 04, 2007, 12:47:24 PM

Ok, would one of you fine gentlemen please tell me just where the hell these "skulls" are in the game? I am 4 levels in and have yet to see one, but I understand there is one on each level. Has anyone found these things?

They're really, REALLY out of the way in most of the levels. Odds are against you'll ever actually stumble upon them unless you're actively looking in every oddball corner of the game.

Go finish the game first - then Google around and find the Skulls for a bit more fun.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 04, 2007, 02:38:01 PM »

I was off wandering in a later level where I was sure I was going to find a skull, but alas, I did not.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 04, 2007, 02:55:05 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on October 04, 2007, 02:38:01 PM

I was off wandering in a later level where I was sure I was going to find a skull, but alas, I did not.

I thought I had found a spot with one on the last level, but all I found was a terminal with some message in it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 04, 2007, 02:56:37 PM »

Speaking of terminals, what's with the initial message that you have to speed read.  Is there a place where you can see those later?  Perhaps a website, even?
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: October 04, 2007, 03:26:36 PM »

The Replay Theatre?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 04, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

Quote from: Purge on October 04, 2007, 03:26:36 PM

The Replay Theatre?

Crap I didn't think of that.  I hope the movie is saved!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 05, 2007, 02:19:55 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 04, 2007, 07:48:47 AM

Quote from: ATB on October 02, 2007, 01:43:37 PM

I then got into some MP with Peterock and crew and had a blast.  I see the crazy appeal but don't know that I could ever take the MP seriously.
Why not? Cause you aren't any good at it?

Do a quick search of I suck by ATB and you'll see it invariably attached to me and my comments about my MP skills at Halo3.

Of course, this is my first engagement in said MP so it's to be expected.  It's not like I claim to be uber when I'm not like some people or blame lag (that no one else experiences) every time I miss a shot or get killed.

Finally, I just don't find Halo, the universe, or what I've seen so far of the MP to be that engaging.
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 05, 2007, 03:34:05 AM »

I played a bit of Basic Training tonight, which is the first public MP I've gotten into with Halo 3.  I hate that they were all 4 player FFA Slayer on Guardian (which I hate) or Snowbound (which I like, but I think is too spread out for 4 players.  Even worse, they were timed matches, not to a kill count.  Those are the worst, because if you're doing badly, you're just going to have to be cannon fodder for the full amount of time.

It was strange.  In every other game, I rocked everyone, and came out on top.  In the other games, I got steamrolled.  Not sure if that was luck of the draw, or some matchmaking mojo, but I got tired of it pretty quick. 

Then a buddy and I hooked up, and first did some doubles, which wound up being four man team slayer, which was also not so much fun, but was interesting.  In our second round of that, one of the two guys on the other team dropped, leaving it 2 on 1.  We figured it would be over quick.  Instead, this guy proceeded to decimate us.  I'm not half bad, and my buddy is pretty damn good, but this guy slapped us around like crying babies.  Final score was something like 25 to 8.

We swapped into Team Objective, where we played some incredibly laggy one-flag CTF, and some one-sided VIP, which was fun, unless you were the VIP. 

So I got my rank up, got my basic training badge, and no longer look like a complete noob.  Hooray for me!

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 08, 2007, 03:34:42 AM »

Ok Ok. I'm a convert.

I finally got some real MP tonight in ranked matches and I'm not as awful as I thought I would be.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm just a few steps above terrible, but man is the MP fun.

The MP is as good as the SP is bad.  Who knew?  icon_biggrin
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 08, 2007, 03:48:37 AM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2007, 03:34:42 AM

Ok Ok. I'm a convert.

I finally got some real MP tonight in ranked matches and I'm not as awful as I thought I would be.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm just a few steps above terrible, but man is the MP fun.

Apparently you didn't know since you trashed the universe and MP until recently. And if you look back at this thread I think you will find the vast majority of us think the SP is pretty good too, but after all, you are the master of the 45 minute blanket game review!

Also does this
Finally, I just don't find Halo, the universe, or what I've seen so far of the MP to be that engaging.
crow taste good? It sure looks like it would.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 08, 2007, 05:14:25 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 08, 2007, 03:48:37 AM

Ok Ok. I'm a convert.

Apparently you didn't know since you trashed the universe and MP until recently. And if you look back at this thread I think you will find the vast majority of us think the SP is pretty good too, but after all, you are the master of the 45 minute blanket game review!

Also does this

I LOL'd reading that.

TheMissingLink on PSN
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 08, 2007, 06:25:32 AM »

Ok Ok. I'm a convert.

Also does this

If you check his xbox live profile he has beat most of the game, so no, he's not giving it a 45 minute blanket review. Besides, the single-player is just as mediocre as all the Halo games have been - entirely unoriginal, crappy level design, lots of backtracking, shitty storytelling, etc, etc.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 08, 2007, 06:52:41 AM »

I rarely finish a game on single-player, and the fact that I blazed through the game says something. 

I think the Halo franchise, in terms of single-player, evolved (somewhat) since the first.  Having completed Halo 3 on legendary, it really showed me the heart of the single-player.  Bungie really captured some special moments in terms of putting you in situations against brutes. 

The level design, while so-so in the first few acts, was pretty damn cool in 4, 5, 6 and 7 specifically. 

I can think of 3 specific areas where backtracking was needed, and it certainly doesn't constitute as "lots."

The storytelling, while making absolutely no sense, was presented in an engaging way. 

The music is beyond incredible. 

And Calvin mentioned the 45 minute blanket review because of a previous comment over a DS game.  I think it was Phantom Hourglass.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: October 08, 2007, 06:54:03 AM »

Quote from: CSL on October 08, 2007, 06:25:32 AM

Besides, the single-player is just as mediocre as all the Halo games have been - entirely unoriginal, crappy level design, lots of backtracking, shitty storytelling, etc, etc.

I totally disagree.  The major set pieces were heart-pounding and well-conceived (Scarabs!), and the tone was just right, particularly at the onset of the flood.  And, of course, the conclusion has a great symmetry with the original game, with an ending I found more emotionally affecting than any hundred other FPS games, and with very little actual backtracking.  I will concede that if you're not up on the plotlines of the previous two games, it's confusing to follow.
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: October 08, 2007, 08:27:25 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on October 08, 2007, 06:52:41 AM

I think the Halo franchise, in terms of single-player, evolved (somewhat) since the first.  Having completed Halo 3 on legendary, it really showed me the heart of the single-player.  Bungie really captured some special moments in terms of putting you in situations against brutes.

No, I didn't see a huge improvement between the first and third. While the Brutes were okay for enemies, their AI wasn't even as good as some stuff that came out almost a decade ago.

Quote from: TheMissingLink
The level design, while so-so in the first few acts, was pretty damn cool in 4, 5, 6 and 7 specifically.

We could argue, but I think your wrong.

I can think of 3 specific areas where backtracking was needed, and it certainly doesn't constitute as "lots."

In a game as short as this one, I think its a lot, and in each of those cases it was a pretty large chunk of each level. It also doesn't help that two of these levels are some of the better designed ones.

The storytelling, while making absolutely no sense, was presented in an engaging way.

Thats great that it was presented in an engaging way - but I couldn't give a damn about that considering that haphazard way they went about telling the story that if properly told would be far better. I went so far as to read up on the plot to refresh myself before playing and it still came across as confusing in many, many places, and I can't help to think of how someone who hadn't done that would feel. Plus, isn't there some sort of a limit as to how many plot holes you can have? It seemed to me that every cutscenes or chapter had gaping holes everywhere you looked. But i'm sure they'll flesh that out in one or four tie-in paperbacks.

The music is beyond incredible.

It was, but its only tertiary to the important stuff - like gameplay.
SuperHiro

Pants on Fire

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »

I haven't played any of the Halo games and the plot made no sense (which I expected).  I spent most of the time making fun of it, and the pretty consistent backtracking was pretty irritating.  It would have been nice for a quick 10 minute movie or something explaining the plot.  I read the synopsis on the wiki and it didn't really seem to be all that.

The level design is pretty confusing.  I know I got lost a few times (especially on the mission before the last one, I fucking HATED that one), I wish they just put in an arrow pointy thingy that tells you where to go, the game is on rails anyway, it's not like it would ruin the immersion. 

Overall though I had 6/10 fun playing it sp and 9/10 fun playing it co-op.  MP, when I finally get in it when proper people, would be fun too. 

I noticed a fair amount of mp achievements are unlockable in "ranked FFA"... seriously?  Because while I LOVE any sort of player customization, I'm not heading into the XBL sewer to do it.   

Just Hiro will do.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2007, 12:31:20 PM »

Ok Ok. I'm a convert.

Again with the constant overgeneralizations.

I trashed the SP and still do. It's weak. Very weak as a single player experience.  I never trashed the MP, but rather said I don't see what's so good about it.

Above I said "wow" I now see what's good about that.

Also does this crow taste good? It sure looks like it would.

I guess you're finding that out now. Or perhaps you're lamenting your lack of reading comprehension skills.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2007, 12:32:31 PM »

And Calvin mentioned the 45 minute blanket review because of a previous comment over a DS game.  I think it was Phantom Hourglass.

And I was 100% right on about PH.  100%. So thanks for supporting the accuracy of my inital feel TML and Calvin.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: October 08, 2007, 12:49:52 PM »

I was horribly disappointed with Halo 2 but I think the Halo 3 single player campaign is pretty great.  It's got a few low points but the highs are so incredible that it more than compensates for them.

I don't get the complaints about backtracking outside of the sequence in Level 8.  There is very little of it in the game and the one other time it's used extensively (Level 5), the environment and circumstances are so different it might as well be an all new level. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: October 08, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »

ATB's trolling aside, I can think of only 2 levels where you had to backtrack (levels 2 & Cool but it was some pretty major backtracking.  Level 8 was more annoying (other than the stupid Flood) because if you didn't go the right way you could miss a checkpoint and have to redo one of the major fights on that level over and over again.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: October 08, 2007, 03:22:50 PM »

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 08, 2007, 10:53:02 AM

The level design is pretty confusing.  I know I got lost a few times (especially on the mission before the last one, I fucking HATED that one), I wish they just put in an arrow pointy thingy that tells you where to go, the game is on rails anyway, it's not like it would ruin the immersion. 

They did put in an arrow pointy thingy.  If you take too long to get to the next checkpoint, it pops up on your HUD with a little measurement of how far you are from the waypoint.  I used it frequently on level 7...
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: October 08, 2007, 03:24:03 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 08, 2007, 03:22:50 PM

Quote from: SuperHiro on October 08, 2007, 10:53:02 AM

They did put in an arrow pointy thingy.  If you take too long to get to the next checkpoint, it pops up on your HUD with a little measurement of how far you are from the waypoint.  I used it frequently on level 7...

Yeah I noticed that if I took my sweet ass time, the game started to tell me where to go. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: October 08, 2007, 03:27:04 PM »

Quote from: ATB on October 08, 2007, 12:32:31 PM

And I was 100% right on about PH.  100%. So thanks for supporting the accuracy of my inital feel TML and Calvin.
Still.  It's pretty stupid to say a game is "brilliant" after playing it for 30-45 minutes.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: October 08, 2007, 03:34:33 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 08, 2007, 03:27:04 PM

Still.  It's pretty stupid to say a game is "brilliant" after playing it for 30-45 minutes.

Except Bioshock...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: October 08, 2007, 03:43:16 PM »

Quote from: Brendan on October 08, 2007, 03:34:33 PM

Except Bioshock...

And The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: October 08, 2007, 04:13:53 PM »

Except Bioshock...

LOL

Except I did do that...

And haven't played it more than a couple hours.

I attribute this to my freaked-out-ness as opposed to the game itself, of course Tongue

TheMissingLink on PSN
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: October 08, 2007, 04:36:41 PM »

Except Bioshock...

I'd disagree there.  Bioschock almost completely falls apart for me in the final third.  I'd say it peaked for me between 1/3 and 1/2 way and if you asked my rating for the game in the first half it would be much higher than my feelings in the second half. 
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: October 08, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »

Agreed.  The problem is that Bioshock was brilliant for the first 30-45 minutes.  After that, less so.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: