http://gamingtrend.com
April 19, 2014, 09:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3 Impressions (No Spoilers)  (Read 12051 times)
denoginizer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2007, 12:51:49 AM »

Three thumbs up for me so far.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2007, 12:56:36 AM »

After that swelling music, it's impossible for me to complain about anything.

Of course, I played something like five thousand online games of Halo 2, so I'm in the target market.  Co-op's been great so far and fantastically easy to get going.
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2007, 12:57:53 AM »

Beat it in 6.5 hours...NOw I am playing co-op...Mission 7 (on heroic)
 in 3 hours....??????

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2007, 01:07:26 AM »

The calibration utility in the collectors editions is incredibly well done and very newb-friendly.  MS should bundle that with every console and offer it as a free download on Live.  In addition to the TV and audio settings it even walks you through the correct switch placement on the AV cable and the dashboard settings. 
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2007, 01:28:28 AM »

as Sarkus says above

WTF is up with Keyes character model?,she looks like shit...in number 2,which i finished yesterday she looked great(graphically)..this one,she looks terrible....i mean,really bad...she's still got nice eek  though

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2007, 01:47:16 AM »

Played about 3 hours so far coop  on Legendary and I would say it is a 7.9 for me at this point.  Strip away the awe with it being a Halo game and all and it is just a decent game.  Bioshock is still definitely my game of the year so far.  I think Call of Duty 4 will ultimately take the prize, but time will tell.  Now, ofcourse, that is my feeling about the SP part, and since I am not a big MP player there may not be much more here for me. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 04:22:47 AM »

Quote from: ATB on September 25, 2007, 06:40:00 PM

The environments aren't particularly interactive- and by that I mean you walk through a plant and nothing on it moves. You just sort of move through it.

Somebody needs glasses.  I've seen my AI and myself go through plants and see the leaves move
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 04:59:15 AM »

Quote from: papasmurff on September 26, 2007, 12:57:53 AM

Beat it in 6.5 hours...NOw I am playing co-op...Mission 7 (on heroic)
 in 3 hours....??????

6.5 hours in single player, non-co op?  I'm glad I didn't pick up my pre-order yet.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
papasmurff

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 05:03:47 AM »

Granted that was on normal.  We (sparhawk and I) beat it in about the same time on Heroic co-op.

Gaming Tag: papa smurff 4
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 12:32:56 PM »

Quote from: naednek on September 26, 2007, 04:22:47 AM

Quote from: ATB on September 25, 2007, 06:40:00 PM

The environments aren't particularly interactive- and by that I mean you walk through a plant and nothing on it moves. You just sort of move through it.

Somebody needs glasses.  I've seen my AI and myself go through plants and see the leaves move

You've seen the AI do it but not you.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 12:48:06 PM »

Man, I can't believe some find the graphics disappointing.  I think they look pretty great. 
Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 12:50:14 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 25, 2007, 10:05:21 PM

Quote from: malichai11 of Octopus Overlords
Well, my wife and I just loaded it up on our 16:9 screen. The lobby and everything is 16:9, but when we start a co-op game it goes to a 4:3 image, split-screen, so a large chunk of the screen isn't used. If this is how they implemented same-screen multiplayer, I'm going to be furious. I can't find any options to change it either.

With 4 players it uses the full screen. With 2 players it uses a 4:3 window only. With 3 players it uses the full screen for the bottom half where 2 players play, but the top half of the screen has the image centered, but uses only the width of a 4:3 image.

I'm not pleased.

Can anyone here verify if this is in fact true, or if there is a settings issue that needs to be corrected?  I'd really hate to see my MP experience with my wife to be marred or rendered completely unplayable by such a poor design flaw. 

Well, I tried to play some co-op with my son last night and that appears to be what happens. It pretty much ruined the experience for us. Maybe me will get used to it but after playing on a widescreen tv for so long it is kind of difficult to do.  I couldn't find a setting to change this. If anyone does, I'd love to hear about it.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 12:52:18 PM »

I've seen leaves move based on my movements... first level in fact. Tons of movement.

I've made it though 4 levels sofar (in coop with my bro, and 4:3 aspect no less) and it's great.

The only reason I can think of that they do the 4:3 is the extra processing it would take to add those pixels on the side, on top of which you may get "fishbowl effect". That being said, I'd prefer to have the choice. 4:3 is fine though, it's still really good.

As to the character models, it's almost like they gave people too much bump-mapping. Keyes looks a little too goth, the other commander looks like his face was the goddamned warzone, and even Johnson looks "too detailed".

Those are my only complaints about the graphics.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 01:01:03 PM »

Oh yeah, I do agree with everyone that Keyes' design is a downgrade from Halo 2. 
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2007, 01:49:32 PM »

On the Bungie service record page, what is the "UNSC Campaign Report"? It says I have 0 enemy KIA and 1 friendly lost.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
depward

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2007, 03:30:20 PM »

Played until the beginning of chapter four.  It's a Halo game - they didn't stray (too far) from the formula.  And this is OK, since Halo games (for me) are just fun, fun, fun.  Graphics are pretty dang nice - don't see what all the complaints are about.

It's the theater options & the forge that put the game over the edge into something memorable for me.  It seems like everyone is going on about the story and how it's so "meh" and everything.  All I'm seeing are impressions of the campaign.  My impression of the game?  A complete, revolutionary new step in console gaming & community.

What Bungie has done with allowing players to manipulate video, record video or take screenshots, review multiplayer tape to see those "strategies" - it's something a console game has never done before.  And it's actually pretty dang incredible.  Go to the theater, take a screenshot, publish it online and share.  It's incredibly easy and free (with a limit) for everyone to use.

Multiplayer is fun as ever.  Played with TML & Calvin last night.  We win some, we lose some.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 12:48:06 PM

Man, I can't believe some find the graphics disappointing.  I think they look pretty great. 

I think most people are just saying that the graphics aren't an absolute 10.  as in they're certainly not as good as Bioshock or Gears

Bioshock to me is absolutely the best-looking 360 game IMO.  now granted, yes I know Bioshock is limited to small indoor environments while Halo 3 needs to do large-scale outdoor levels.  kinda like the whole Doom 3 graphics debate on the PC.  but still, that's irrelevant to me...when I see a room in Bioshock, it just flat out looks better and a lot more detailed than a Halo 3 room

having said that, I would still rate Halo 3's graphics about a 8.5, which is still classified as great.  and as I'm sure you know, graphics are just one aspect of a game overall
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2007, 03:40:13 PM »

I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't stick with Julie Benz as the voice of Miranda Keyes.  The switch to this new actress is incredibly jarring -- it's like going into the The Return of the King and discovering that Aragorn is suddenly played by Robert Carradine.

-Autistic Angel
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2007, 03:43:52 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 26, 2007, 03:35:33 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 12:48:06 PM

I think most people are just saying that the graphics aren't an absolute 10.  as in they're certainly not as good as Bioshock or Gears

Bioshock to me is absolutely the best-looking 360 game IMO.  now granted, yes I know Bioshock is limited to small indoor environments while Halo 3 needs to do large-scale outdoor levels.

The scale can't be overlooked IMO.  Neither Bioshock nor Gears have anywhere near the scope nor the number of enemies.  In fact, IIRC, the reason that the baddies in Gears take so many bullets to kill is because they had to compensate for not being able to put many on screen at a single time. 

The other thing is that all three games use entirely different aesthetics.  On some level Halo is handicapped by the art style they chose for the first game.  It's a very clean, crisp look and it was the absolute right choice for the hardware at the time because they never would have been able to do a game the scale of Halo with tons of environmental detail on Xbox hardware.  But that decision is locked in and the ultra textured look of Bioshock and Gears just wouldn't look right in a Halo game.  Halo 3 looks exactly like I would expect a next-gen Halo to look. 

A room in Bioshock may flat out look better but Bioshock never offers up any vistas even approaching what you see in a Halo game so that easily makes the comparision a draw IMO. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2007, 03:44:39 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 26, 2007, 03:40:13 PM

I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't stick with Julie Benz as the voice of Miranda Keyes.  The switch to this new actress is incredibly jarring -- it's like going into the The Return of the King and discovering that Aragorn is suddenly played by Robert Carradine.

-Autistic Angel

Wow, I didn't realize it was Jule Benz who did Miranda's voice in Halo 2 (I'm a huge Angel fan). 
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2007, 03:56:34 PM »

Quote from: Autistic Angel on September 26, 2007, 03:40:13 PM

it's like going into the The Return of the King and discovering that Aragorn is suddenly played by Robert Carradine.

This is a fantastic idea.

"Remember, Orcs only think about sports.  Hobbits only think about sex."
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 03:59:25 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 03:43:52 PM

But that decision is locked in and the ultra textured look of Bioshock and Gears just wouldn't look right in a Halo game.  Halo 3 looks exactly like I would expect a next-gen Halo to look.

I don't necessarily agree with these two statements

A room in Bioshock may flat out look better but Bioshock never offers up any vistas even approaching what you see in a Halo game so that easily makes the comparision a draw IMO. 

certainly true, but that's because you're in a small, tight, underwater city =P

again, it's the whole Doom 3 graphics debate again.  I certainly understand what you're talking about technically, but most casual people don't.  they see a room in Bioshock and a room in Halo 3, which one do you think they're going to view as better looking?
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 04:04:58 PM »

I think the level of detail in Halo is fantastic.  When messing around in the Forge last night, I discovered that you can actually read the live ammo readout on another player's assault rifle.  icon_eek

Regardless, the rate of speed at which I pass through environments on Halo is roughly 3x my speed in Bioshock.  And so, qualitatively, they both look "really good", from my perspective, and I'm certainly not disappointed in the visuals.  Well, except for a few of the stranger character models, as others have noted.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 04:07:37 PM »

I was talking about my opinion.  I could care less what casual people think.  Plus, I think casuals are less discerning about graphics than hardcore folks, not more, and I would expect that those folks think Halo 3 looks great. I am surprised, however, by hardcore message board posters and reviewers who deem them disappointing because they certainly have the experience to know that there is a difference between graphics focused on smaller environments (Bioshock) and much larger ones (Halo). 

Quote from: KePoW on September 26, 2007, 03:59:25 PM

certainly true, but that's because you're in a small, tight, underwater city =P

It's an obvious point, sure, but I will say that I would have loved some more expansive environments in Bioshock.  I really wish there would have been more opportunities outside of that initial Bathysphere ride to see the scale of Rapture and how everything connects.  As is, the interior environments you explore never really match or feel connected with with what you see when you look through the windows. 

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2007, 04:15:02 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on September 26, 2007, 04:07:37 PM

I was talking about my opinion.  I could care less what casual people think.  Plus, I think casuals are less discerning about graphics than hardcore folks, not more, and I would expect that those folks think Halo 3 looks great. I am surprised, however, by hardcore message board posters and reviewers who deem them disappointing because they certainly have the experience to know that there is a difference between graphics focused on smaller environments (Bioshock) and much larger ones (Halo)

you would think so, but apparently that's not the case hahha

I think it's just a matter of players (even hardcore ones) not really analyzing it that deeply
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2007, 04:21:26 PM »

Can anyone explain how the experience works in MP?  I've played 18 games, and only have 2 EXP.  I'm up a rank, but don't know how I'm doing it.

"Goonies never say die"
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 26, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »

Quote from: El-Producto on September 26, 2007, 04:21:26 PM

Can anyone explain how the experience works in MP?  I've played 18 games, and only have 2 EXP.  I'm up a rank, but don't know how I'm doing it.

from another site:

"You get 1 EXP point for every game your team wins in team games or 1 EXP point for getting in the top half of a free-for-all game. So in an 5-player FFA match, if you get in spots 1-2 you'll get a point."
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »

Perfect.. that explains it.  Thanks!

"Goonies never say die"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2007, 05:46:30 PM »

I will say that I agree with the comments that some of the sound effects could use more oomph.  The assault rifle in particular sounds like a toy gun. 
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 26, 2007, 04:32:02 PM

Quote from: El-Producto on September 26, 2007, 04:21:26 PM

from another site:

"You get 1 EXP point for every game your team wins in team games or 1 EXP point for getting in the top half of a free-for-all game. So in an 5-player FFA match, if you get in spots 1-2 you'll get a point."

I suspect I will have very, very few XP.  I kind of wish you got some points for effort, or something.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2007, 06:00:42 PM »

played up past the end of level 6?  and even though it's not the best game of all time, i have had a lot of fun with it.  i should probably be able to finish it tonight.  i really wish i had turned on the coop campaign scoring, but apparently if you do you have to restart. 

graphics wise, it has impressed me more with the same things which were cool in h1.  big open levels with little to no load between areas, transitions notwithstanding.  i really wish more games would take this approach as it makes the world seem larger and not just a collection of similar levels.  it also gives you the ico like experience of seeing areas you will get to in advance.  sure, level detail is spartan, but it's functional and suited for the gameplay.  this isn't crysis we're talking about. 

favorite part so far:

Spoiler for Hiden:
seeing the scarab for the first time.  damn was that a big mother, and it had a pretty cool entrance.  i like the take down method too, although i wish it was possible to drag it down with heavy weaponry.  i was a little bummed that the tank cannon couldn't do more damage than the banshee's.  still a cool fight though.

oh, and the flood moment was actually cool. one, if came right after an awesome fight/cutscene, and it was done pretty well imo.  it was not dragged out as it was in h1.  i liked the insides of the flood ship too.  reminds me of the enemy ships in homeworld cataclysm. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »

Quote from: Caine on September 26, 2007, 06:00:42 PM

played up past the end of level 6?  and even though it's not the best game of all time, i have had a lot of fun with it.  i should probably be able to finish it tonight.  i really wish i had turned on the coop campaign scoring, but apparently if you do you have to restart. 

I think you only end up restarting the level, not the campaign.  I'll attempt to check for you tonight if I get a chance.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2007, 06:29:28 PM »

if there are any achievement whores aout there

if you play it on the hardest difficulty,when you finish the game,you will also get the achievements for the other difficulty levels....all of which are 125 points,so by finishing the hardest difficulty,you get something like 400 points!!(not included the seperate level and hidden skull achievements...and various others you can pick up during playing)

not that i would be able to do that

graphics  over all(not included Keyes)look fine,and although i loved Gears of wars graphics much more,because of the gritty look,they are two seperate styles

i like how you can use a plasma rifle on the fixed stand,and then rip it off and walk about with it like you are Rambo/Commando

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
depward

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2007, 07:02:45 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on September 26, 2007, 06:29:28 PM

if there are any achievement whores aout there

if you play it on the hardest difficulty,when you finish the game,you will also get the achievements for the other difficulty levels....all of which are 125 points,so by finishing the hardest difficulty,you get something like 400 points!!(not included the seperate level and hidden skull achievements...and various others you can pick up during playing)
Yes sir, that is indeed correct.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2007, 07:11:58 PM »

i like how you can use a plasma rifle on the fixed stand,and then rip it off and walk about with it like you are Rambo/Commando

Yeah, I've been doing that a lot.

Although, I do have to ask - how/why do the guns have unlimited ammo when they're on the base, yet always only have 200 rounds once you pick it up? I mean, I sure don't see any sort of ammo crates nearby to feed the thing. smile

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2007, 11:52:00 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 26, 2007, 03:59:25 PM

again, it's the whole Doom 3 graphics debate again.  I certainly understand what you're talking about technically, but most casual people don't.  they see a room in Bioshock and a room in Halo 3, which one do you think they're going to view as better looking?

I think most of the debate about nitpicking of whose got the better graphics is limited to forums like this while the vast majority are just playing the game and having fun.
Impervious
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2007, 12:29:00 AM »

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 26, 2007, 12:50:14 PM

Well, my wife and I just loaded it up on our 16:9 screen. The lobby and everything is 16:9, but when we start a co-op game it goes to a 4:3 image, split-screen, so a large chunk of the screen isn't used. If this is how they implemented same-screen multiplayer, I'm going to be furious. I can't find any options to change it either.

With 4 players it uses the full screen. With 2 players it uses a 4:3 window only. With 3 players it uses the full screen for the bottom half where 2 players play, but the top half of the screen has the image centered, but uses only the width of a 4:3 image.

I'm not pleased.

Can anyone here verify if this is in fact true, or if there is a settings issue that needs to be corrected?  I'd really hate to see my MP experience with my wife to be marred or rendered completely unplayable by such a poor design flaw. 

Well, I tried to play some co-op with my son last night and that appears to be what happens. It pretty much ruined the experience for us. Maybe me will get used to it but after playing on a widescreen tv for so long it is kind of difficult to do.  I couldn't find a setting to change this. If anyone does, I'd love to hear about it.

How is that a disappointment?  All they are trying to is preserve the aspect ratio.  It's actually better than halo2 or gears in hd on the 360 where it would split the screen down the middle vertically.  In that case you had no peripheral vision, and you couldn't see anything despite the fact you have a 16:9 screen.  I'll gladly let some of the screen not be used to have the view that I'd have on single player.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2007, 01:07:32 AM »

wow, I was able to find a used copy for $45 bucks at a local used CD/DVD/Video Games store.  45 bucks, and I'll most likely trade it in rather quickly at Gamestop so at most it'll actually cost me 20 bucks.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2007, 01:15:42 AM »

That is one of my favorite part about this game. I was scream like little girl when I found about this.  crybaby

Kurt Stevens
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2007, 02:17:00 AM »

Quote from: Impervious on September 27, 2007, 12:29:00 AM

Quote from: Kurt Stevens on September 26, 2007, 12:50:14 PM

I'm not pleased.

How is that a disappointment?  All they are trying to is preserve the aspect ratio.  It's actually better than halo2 or gears in hd on the 360 where it would split the screen down the middle vertically.  In that case you had no peripheral vision, and you couldn't see anything despite the fact you have a 16:9 screen.  I'll gladly let some of the screen not be used to have the view that I'd have on single player.

Personal preference I suppose.  I prefer Gears of War and even Resistance to how it is handled in Halo 3.  It just seems a little jarring to have the screen size cut down so much after playing the single player campaign. Like I said maybe I'll get used to it. I agree that you lose some peripheral vision in other games with co-op but in Halo the screen feels squashed and for myself it was difficult to play. My son felt the same way.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: