http://gamingtrend.com
December 26, 2014, 11:32:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3 Game Variants...  (Read 1137 times)
PeteRock
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2007, 02:17:36 PM »

Last night I played an interesting game called "Rocket Race" with a number of people (my wife, Kasei Vallis, Snrub1, USMC Kato, pr0ner, CSL, and a number of people I'm forgetting at the moment) and it was an interesting and challenging game variant.  We also played Harkonis's improved zombie warhammer infection extravaganza and had some fun with that as well.

And this led me to wondering if anyone from the GT community has created an interesting game variant, map, or modified an existing game or map to make some improvements, or if you have found some interesting content to download from Bungie.net, and if so, if you could explain your new variant or the new content you found, and perhaps someone could also explain how the rest of us would go about finding your new creation and adding it to our MP game selection list.  I'm not exactly sure how to find content created by the GT community (I can find random things on Bungie.net, but many variants have poor explanations), and I'm wondering how some of you have come across interesting things to add to your Halo 3 MP games list, such as "Rocket Race" for example (not sure if it's the same one listed near the top of the Bungie.net most popular list). 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007, 03:22:14 PM »

Rocket Race is an official Bungie game-variant isn't it?

sorry I haven't been joining any of yalls games recently... I don't like playing Custom games, because I'm too much of an achievement and leveling/ranking up whore.  I just like to feel like I'm at least accomplishing and advancing something whenever I play any MP, but you don't get any EXP whatsoever in Custom games.  also, I really don't mind playing playing against and hearing random people out there, unlike a lot of you who complain so much about the 'crowd'...I'm super insensitive and either laugh at them or totally ignore them, I couldn't care less lol

if any of yall ever want to Party up and play in the official Matchmaking games, I'm always up for that
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 03:49:58 PM »

It's not just about ranking up.  When did playing Halo become a job?  What about all-out chaos-filled unadulterated fun, you know, the kind of fun you had as a kid?  Yes, you don't earn any points playing in custom games, but you experience another element of the Halo universe.  The fun element.  Last night there were ten of us playing Rocket Race, five teams of two, all firing rockets at each other and speeding recklessly toward each checkpoint goal.  That kind of entertainment cannot be found in sterile, anti-social ranked games.  Yes, none of us increased in rank, but watching my wife bitch-slap USMC Kato at the gravity lift on Valhala and watching his corpse catapault across the screen like a rag doll while his laughter got quieter and quieter as his body soared away was just priceless.

But, to each his own.  I'd rather stay at level zero and have a blast with friends than to avoid custom games just because you don't earn experience points from them.

Edit:  After rereading my post, I realize that I come off a little dickish.  That wasn't my intent and I wasn't trying to single you out.  I merely wanted to explain why custom games are popular.  Because of the complete, unadulterated chaotic fun amongst friends.  I'd hate to see you miss out on that because of achievements or experience points.  That's why we play together so much.  Because it's a blast
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 03:52:45 PM by PeteRock » Logged

CSL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »

My idea for a custom match...

Name: Laser Tag
Game Basis: Team Slayer

Rules: The inspiration for this match is Unreal Tournaments Instagib. All players start with Spartan Lasers with infinite ammo, no grenades, and no other weapons on the map. If at all possible their will be a custom powerup that increases your overshield by *3 and makes you faster for 60 seconds.

Haven't made it yet though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 04:13:19 PM by CSL » Logged
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007, 04:11:57 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 03:49:58 PM

It's not just about ranking up.  When did playing Halo become a job?  What about all-out chaos-filled unadulterated fun, you know, the kind of fun you had as a kid?  Yes, you don't earn any points playing in custom games, but you experience another element of the Halo universe.  The fun element.  Last night there were ten of us playing Rocket Race, five teams of two, all firing rockets at each other and speeding recklessly toward each checkpoint goal.  That kind of entertainment cannot be found in sterile, anti-social ranked games.  Yes, none of us increased in rank, but watching my wife bitch-slap USMC Kato at the gravity lift on Valhala and watching his corpse catapault across the screen like a rag doll while his laughter got quieter and quieter as his body soared away was just priceless.

But, to each his own.  I'd rather stay at level zero and have a blast with friends than to avoid custom games just because you don't earn experience points from them.

Edit:  After rereading my post, I realize that I come off a little dickish.  That wasn't my intent and I wasn't trying to single you out.  I merely wanted to explain why custom games are popular.  Because of the complete, unadulterated chaotic fun amongst friends.  I'd hate to see you miss out on that because of achievements or experience points.  That's why we play together so much.  Because it's a blast
It's not all about ranking up.  It's about having a feeling of accomplishment, about "advancing" in a game.

Have you played "sterile, anti-social ranked games"?  I'm guessing no.  In just about every ranked game I play in, the team I'm in communicates about strategy.  So instead of calling a game variant you've never played sterile and anti-social, you should give it a try.

Oh, it looks like you've played one ranked game.  That's certainly enough to classify ranked games as being stupid & sterile.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 04:36:34 PM »

Quote from: depward on October 05, 2007, 04:11:57 PM

It's not all about ranking up.  It's about having a feeling of accomplishment, about "advancing" in a game.

Have you played "sterile, anti-social ranked games"?  I'm guessing no.  In just about every ranked game I play in, the team I'm in communicates about strategy.  So instead of calling a game variant you've never played sterile and anti-social, you should give it a try.

Oh, it looks like you've played one ranked game.  That's certainly enough to classify ranked games as being stupid & sterile.

I wasn't suggesting an "all or nothing" approach.  Ranked games are fine, and certainly can be fun, but to completely disregard all custom games because they don't provide any potential for "advancing" or "ranking up" seems closed minded and in my opinion causes you to miss out on the pure fun possible when playing in a room full of friends.  I'm suggesting a balance, and instead I'm getting the extremist approach, "all ranked games or bust."  I didn't call ranked games "stupid".  But, many are in fact "sterile" and not social at all.  Regardless of how many ranked games I've played, the point is to explain why "all ranked games or nothing" seems to be a closed-minded approach.  Play all the ranked games you want, but refusing to play with friends in any custom game variants because no points are at stake might cause you (the general "you", not you personally) to miss out on some of the MP fun many of us have together when just simply playing in a social atmosphere for fun rather than only for glory and points.   

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 04:40:09 PM »

depward touched upon some of this already...but I feel there is a fault in your argument against the Matchmaking games.  basically, you're implying that it is *impossible* to have fun and have a blast playing them?

that is not true whatsoever...I truly do have fun by both playing them and leveling up.  if it was a case where I felt it was a chore or a drag to play them, and the only reason I was in them was to get EXP, then you would totally have a valid point.  but that's not the case at all, I have a blast playing the official games too

would you not have fun getting a Party of 4-6 of us and competing in the Matchmaking games against other players?  all of us would still be on the same side, so I don't see what the difference is really.  other than making random wacky custom rules games... but that's something I don't enjoy anyway, I just like your basic tried-and-true MP FPS modes like CTF, controlling territories, or Team deathmatch.  if the official Matchmaking games had wacky game variants in them, I personally would never play those types either
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 04:36:34 PM

Regardless of how many ranked games I've played, the point is to explain why "all ranked games or nothing" seems to be a closed-minded approach

ok, I can agree with you on this statement at least...you're right, all-or-nothing is a bit close-minded

but in the last paragraph of my previous reply, I explain that I really really do not like weird-ass custom rules game modes.  if yall get together in the Custom games to play stuff like CTF or Territories/Zones or Shotty Snipers or Team Rockets (MY ABSOLUTE FAV, since I was a hardcore quake3 player which was all about the rocket launcher), then sure I'll jump in for some of those games from time to time
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 04:57:47 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 05, 2007, 04:45:12 PM

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 04:36:34 PM

Regardless of how many ranked games I've played, the point is to explain why "all ranked games or nothing" seems to be a closed-minded approach

ok, I can agree with you on this statement at least...you're right, all-or-nothing is a bit close-minded

but in the last paragraph of my previous reply, I explain that I really really do not like weird-ass custom rules game modes.  if yall get together in the Custom games to play stuff like CTF or Territories/Zones or Shotty Snipers or Team Rockets (MY ABSOLUTE FAV, since I was a hardcore quake3 player which was all about the rocket launcher), then sure I'll jump in for some of those games from time to time

And that's the point I'm not so successfully trying to explain.  You gave me the impression that you were against playing custom games with the GT/OO population because no points were at stake.  Your exact words:

Quote from: KePoW on October 05, 2007, 03:22:14 PM

I don't like playing Custom games, because I'm too much of an achievement and leveling/ranking up whore.  I just like to feel like I'm at least accomplishing and advancing something whenever I play any MP, but you don't get any EXP whatsoever in Custom games.

That's all I had to work with.

But, if you also don't play because of a lack of interest in strange game types, then I can understand that.  And, to address what you said above, I am not against matchmaking games (even though that seems to be the impression I've given), but I don't think they should be your only focus in MP because I think you're missing out on the fun we've been having playing socially.  To reiterate, I realized after posting that I came across a little "dickish" and like I am against ranked MP, when in actuality I was trying to urge you to keep from completely disregarding custom games simply because you can't earn EXP points.

I would love to play in a ranked game with a party of friends, and I plan to do just that eventually.  And you made a good point about "wacky" game types.  I don't like those either, and when we all play together we play the kinds of things you enjoy, only instead of competing against strangers, you're playing against folks you "know" from GT (or OO).  And so there is that level of friendly competition, taking out people you can recognize and being able to razz them about your most recent spectacular kill, and also being able to switch up teams every so often since you're in a room with friends.

Plus, you listed all of the games we like to play, with Team Rockets being one of the most popular games we play.  The last large MP get-together we had, Team Rockets covered a good portion of the night.  8-vs-8, infinite ammo, and explosions and chaos galore.  And that is the kind of fun you're missing out on by not joining our games.  We don't play wacky game modes, we just like to blow up our friends in the most efficient way possible, and that is usually with rockets.   icon_cool

And so I just hope that you eventually decide to give our social games a chance (just as I plan to take a team online at some point).  It's a lot of fun, and despite the lack of EXP points, we play the types of games you like and really have a blast killing the hell out of each other.  Just at least give it some thought.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007, 05:00:25 PM by PeteRock » Logged

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007, 05:18:02 PM »

haha ok, we got each other...now it makes more sense =P

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 04:57:47 PM

Plus, you listed all of the games we like to play, with Team Rockets being one of the most popular games we play.  The last large MP get-together we had, Team Rockets covered a good portion of the night.  8-vs-8, infinite ammo, and explosions and chaos galore.  And that is the kind of fun you're missing out on by not joining our games.  We don't play wacky game modes, we just like to blow up our friends in the most efficient way possible, and that is usually with rockets.   icon_cool

wow really...well shit, I'll definitely be in those then.  I could literally play Team Rockets (and to a lesser extent Shotty Snipers) all night long, it never gets old to me.  whenever I do the Social Slayer matchmaking list, I'm always hoping the next game it pulls up is a Team Rockets one, lol

I must be confusing your group with another GT/OO group maybe...I thought there was one where people played the Infection and Zombie games a lot, which I don't like.  either that, or with changed scoring rules that I am definitely not in favor of.  if one team is getting owned, then they are getting owned...they shouldn't be given 'catch-up' scoring.  it reminds me of bad racing games where there is catch-up AI drivers, lol
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 05, 2007, 05:18:02 PM

haha ok, we got each other...now it makes more sense =P

Quote from: PeteRock on October 05, 2007, 04:57:47 PM

wow really...well shit, I'll definitely be in those then.  I could literally play Team Rockets (and to a lesser extent Shotty Snipers) all night long, it never gets old to me.  whenever I do the Social Slayer matchmaking list, I'm always hoping the next game it pulls up is a Team Rockets one, lol

I must be confusing your group with another GT/OO group maybe...I thought there was one where people played the Infection and Zombie games a lot, which I don't like.  either that, or with changed scoring rules that I am definitely not in favor of.  if one team is getting owned, then they are getting owned...they shouldn't be given 'catch-up' scoring.  it reminds me of bad racing games where there is catch-up AI drivers, lol

You're probably thinking of Harkonis.  He created a zombie/infection type game and has played it with a group of GT/OOers.  The group wanted to play a bit of it last night, but only for a short while, and we always play such a variety of game variants that you never really wind up in a game you don't like for too long.  I wasn't a fan of the zombie game at all (felt too chaotic and disorganized), but Rocket Race was a frenetic blast, and Team Rockets is always great fun.

Usually when I am hosting (or even when we have a different master of ceremonies), we always chat with the group to see what people want to play, and we always try to make sure that everyone's requests are addressed so that no one feels left out or like they're playing in a room where they have no input.  No one person rules the show.  We try out all sorts of games, everyone is free to make a suggestion, and you can guarantee that the night almost will always degrade into straight-up Team Rockets.  And so if you were to join us some evening, you would have plenty of opportunities to voice your interests, which games you'd like to play, and even if we play a game or two that you don't like, I am sure we'll play plenty that you do enjoy. 

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »

cool haha

I actually like Rocket Race a lot, except for one thing...everyone is invulnerable (at least in the official Bungie one I played, I think).  I with you could be killed like normal, lol
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 06:11:06 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on October 05, 2007, 05:38:49 PM

cool haha

I actually like Rocket Race a lot, except for one thing...everyone is invulnerable (at least in the official Bungie one I played, I think).  I with you could be killed like normal, lol

You can kill people if their off their Mongoose's, by melee assassination.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »

Quote from: CSL on October 05, 2007, 04:11:00 PM

Rules: The inspiration for this match is Unreal Tournaments Instagib. All players start with Spartan Lasers with infinite ammo, no grenades, and no other weapons on the map. If at all possible their will be a custom powerup that increases your overshield by *3 and makes you faster for 60 seconds.

as someone who loved playing UT instagib, i think something like that could be a lot of fun.  the only problem is that the slow firing time of the spartan laser would make it incredibly difficult for some people.  if there were a way to make a precision, 'one-shot kill' weapon that didn't have to charge before firing, i think you could have a much better game.  the trick is to allow instantaneous firing, but making sure there is a little delay before you can fire a second shot.  i don't know if that can be done though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007, 06:21:01 PM »

but watching my wife bitch-slap USMC Kato at the gravity lift on Valhala and watching his corpse catapault across the screen like a rag doll while his laughter got quieter and quieter as his body soared away was just priceless.

Ha that was so priceless and great that I saved that film of your wife killing me while I flew away.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2007, 06:26:53 PM »

i'm just as much a fan of the "whacky and crazy" modes as the next guy, as i like to mix up the norm once in a while.  i also like the ranking system and while i haven't played full ranked games, i do like the social matchmaking we get going once in a while.  at least when it works and the other team doesn't bail out on us.  we had a bad night of that recently and it took a lot of the fun out of playing. 

my point?  there are people playing who can just as easily play against strangers who i'll never see again, odd variants of pirate zombies on the high seas, and the mass chaos of a rocket race, shotty sniper, team rockets, and the old standby's ctf and dm.  it's all good fun.  if i stopped enjoying it, i'd just go back to playing an rpg or something.

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2007, 06:27:26 PM »

sorry I haven't been joining any of yalls games recently... I don't like playing Custom games, because I'm too much of an achievement and leveling/ranking up whore.  I just like to feel like I'm at least accomplishing and advancing something whenever I play any MP, but you don't get any EXP whatsoever in Custom games.  also, I really don't mind playing playing against and hearing random people out there, unlike a lot of you who complain so much about the 'crowd'...I'm super insensitive and either laugh at them or totally ignore them, I couldn't care less lol

if any of yall ever want to Party up and play in the official Matchmaking games, I'm always up for that

Kepow, if you are ever in matchmaking and need a frag partner, send me an invite and I'll join you.

Earlier this week, Jarrodk, PapaSmurff, DamageInc  and I went on to the matchmaking team slayer mode (Great, great teamwork  thumbsup).  We had a good night, won a lot more matches than we lost, and I think I got promoted twice. 

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2007, 06:29:56 PM »

Quote from: disarm on October 05, 2007, 06:19:21 PM

Quote from: CSL on October 05, 2007, 04:11:00 PM

as someone who loved playing UT instagib, i think something like that could be a lot of fun.  the only problem is that the slow firing time of the spartan laser would make it incredibly difficult for some people.  if there were a way to make a precision, 'one-shot kill' weapon that didn't have to charge before firing, i think you could have a much better game.  the trick is to allow instantaneous firing, but making sure there is a little delay before you can fire a second shot.  i don't know if that can be done though...
sniper rifle?

same goes for me kepow.  i'll gladly join up with a ranked mm game. 

btw, where's the love for coop?  i had a ton of fun going through legendary that way.  even the most hated level wasn't that bad with 4 people.  easier, in fact. 

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 06:31:09 PM »

It shouldn't be too hard to go into the Rocket Race settings, and turn off the invulnerability.

I've got the replay of our first attempt at Rocket Race on my machine.  We were in two teams, had no idea what the mode was about.  We spent the first five minutes shooting rockets at each other, and the last 15 minutes trying to club each other.  Apparently neither of the VIPs figured out what they needed to do until the last two minutes.  It was excruciating.  I'd love to try it with the correct rules, and a ton of teams.

I would also be up for some partied-up matchmaking.

KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »

Quote from: USMC Kato on October 05, 2007, 06:27:26 PM

Kepow, if you are ever in matchmaking and need a frag partner, send me an invite and I'll join you.

Earlier this week, Jarrodk, PapaSmurff, DamageInc  and I went on to the matchmaking team slayer mode (Great, great teamwork  thumbsup).  We had a good night, won a lot more matches than we lost, and I think I got promoted twice. 

will definitely do that!
CSL

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »

Actually, i'd love a varient of Rocket Race, except with Warthogs.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »

What's Rocket Race?  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to play anything for a week and it's killing me.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2007, 09:12:12 PM »

I'm all for playing in ranked matches, except I really don't like Shottys and Snipers, it's just no fun at all for me even when I'm winning.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2007, 09:14:55 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on October 05, 2007, 08:58:58 PM

What's Rocket Race?  Sorry, I haven't had a chance to play anything for a week and it's killing me.

the variant we played. teams of two, mongooses only.  rockets with unlimited ammo and no other weapons on the level.  invulnerable to any attack except assassination.  one person drives, the other sits in the back and tries to keep the other players from reaching a random point which moves after it's hit.  rocket blasts damage the mongooses, but mostly just send it flying.  it takes a while to kill the vehicle so most the time, you just go tumbling through the air, end over end. 

whichever team gets to x points wins.  we played to 10 on valhalla.  great fun. 

that about sums it up.

Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2007, 10:57:43 PM »

The interesting/frustrating/fun thing is that the VIP (who has to get to the point to score) is unable to drive the mongoose, only ride passenger.  The other guy (who can't score) has to drive the VIP from point to point.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: