http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:58:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 3 discs come pre scratched  (Read 2827 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2007, 05:27:07 AM »

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/34409/Halo-3-Discs-Come-Pre-Scratched

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 05:42:08 AM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 22, 2007, 05:27:07 AM

it hasnt been confirmed for the regular versions, but apparently many of the LE are coming out like that. That is just AWFUL design, quality control, etc. Really bad and a real shame.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 05:59:26 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 22, 2007, 05:42:08 AM

it hasnt been confirmed for the regular versions,

the standard would be in the regular DVD box, so it'd be more secure than the non-standard cases.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 06:30:30 AM »

That's amazing.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 06:32:35 AM »

Yet somehow fitting considering all the other faulty stuff MS has been releasing.  What is with this?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 08:21:38 AM »

i guess i'll be opening my CE in the car before i leave BestBuy at midnight.  if it's scratched, i'll just run back inside for another copy and get the exchange done before there's too much concern of running short on extra copies.  this really sucks if it's very common though...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 09:52:49 AM »

I've seen a fair number of people that claim to work at various retailers saying that it is quite widespread.  Take that for what it is worth though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2007, 12:19:47 PM »

Hmm...I was planning on trying to the the Collector's Edition, but maybe I'll just save the money and get the regular instead.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2007, 02:56:08 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on September 22, 2007, 06:32:35 AM

Yet somehow fitting considering all the other faulty stuff MS has been releasing.  What is with this?

from the video it looks like the case is like what some TV seasons on DVD come in.  I've found that if I shake the box slightly you can usually tell if anything is loose inside it.  Of course if you get them shipped to you then expect at least 1 disc to be loose and rattling around in them- I bought 4 seasons of Babylon 5 from Best Buy, had them shipped UPS and when I got them  about 7 or 8 discs were loose and scratched.  Luckily only one gave me any errors when playing it and that was fixed by having it resurfaced.

Because I can,
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »

Argh.  Shades of my Halo 2 Collector's edition which was scratched due to the case design.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890997
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2007, 06:14:14 PM »

so does anyone know if a retailer like Gamestop will give you a replacement right there and then, if you open it just after paying and find out it's messed up?

what's their policy on that
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 06:33:59 PM »

Quote from: KePoW on September 22, 2007, 06:14:14 PM

so does anyone know if a retailer like Gamestop will give you a replacement right there and then, if you open it just after paying and find out it's messed up?

what's their policy on that

If you show them that it's scratched I don't see why they wouldn't replace it for you.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 06:49:21 PM »

I was thinking about what version to get last night, and I think I decided its either the basic one or the cat helmet one-that would be a cool ass collectible.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 06:57:31 PM »

Smooth.

gellar
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 09:45:36 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on September 22, 2007, 06:49:21 PM

I was thinking about what version to get last night, and I think I decided its either the basic one or the cat helmet one-that would be a cool ass collectible.

I thought about getting the Legendary Edition, and when I logged on to BestBuy.com to preorder the game I was really tempted, but I just couldn't justify the added cost for a Master Chief helmet to put on my new puppy (especially since she is growing fast and won't fit in it much longer anyway).  The purchase of Halo 3 is a given, and so my wife is expecting me to shell out $70 for the Limited Edition (she won't be able to live without a copy of the game - I think she's more excited than I am).  Since we're already planning to pick up the game, it has been budgeted into our normal finances, and $200 from a $500 check I randomly received from my aunt (for no apparent reason other than she is crazy generous and sends us money from time to time - the rest went toward savings) is going toward whatever I want (I've considered using it toward remodeling our downstairs powder room, but I think I'm going to put it toward a new tattoo as it has been a long while since my last one and I'm due).  But, if I wanted to get the Legendary Edition of Halo 3 my wife would make me put that $200 toward the game and I'd lose my opportunity for a new tattoo.

Limited Edition it is.  The Legendary Edition is just not worth sacrificing random green I can use for anything my heart desires (and my tattoo addiction is just too hard to resist as it has been over 2 years since my last one).  Why did I feel the need to say all of this, even though all of you couldn't care less?  Probably because I've been drinking since 7am when I got back from dropping off my wife at the airport and started working on painting the master bedroom as a surprise (it has been a long time coming, and it'll be a nice surprise for my wife when she comes home for it to finally be done), and I sometimes have a habit of being a little loquatious when I've been drinking for almost 8 hours.  At least the master bedroom is coming along nicely (I think).         

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:08 PM »

Lots of drinking plus painting the bedroom. Im sure she'll be surprised smile

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 11:00:47 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on September 22, 2007, 10:25:08 PM

The difficult part will be explaining why the dogs are blue as well.   ninja

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 11:56:20 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 22, 2007, 11:00:47 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on September 22, 2007, 10:25:08 PM

The difficult part will be explaining why the dogs are blue as well.   ninja

and the bed sheets...

and her clothes....

and her jewelry....

Because I can,
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »

If you don't go to the store, MS is replacing them for free via mail:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/discreplacement-program.htm
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2007, 06:01:17 PM »

Quote from: leo8877 on September 25, 2007, 05:54:41 PM

If you don't go to the store, MS is replacing them for free via mail:

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/discreplacement-program.htm

Well, that's great and all, but it kinda sucks that they have to do this at all. Is it REALLY that difficult to securely hold the discs? This is the flagship title for them after all.

Besides, who isn't just gonna take it back to the store? That is what I did. thumbsup

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2007, 06:08:42 PM »

Yeah I picked up my LE and the disc-holder thing is really a joke.  It's little more than a peg.  Actually the one for my extra disc has a little lip and holds pretty well, but the one for the game disc is all but totally vertical and doesn't hold at all.  But even after lots of shaking the box and saying "What's rattling around in there?" and then shaking it some more, my disc seems to work just fine.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »

Pete, you make me laugh. A lot.

Thank you.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2007, 06:50:16 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 22, 2007, 09:45:36 PM

Quote from: Calvin on September 22, 2007, 06:49:21 PM

I thought about getting the Legendary Edition, and when I logged on to BestBuy.com to preorder the game I was really tempted, but I just couldn't justify the added cost for a Master Chief helmet to put on my new puppy (especially since she is growing fast and won't fit in it much longer anyway).  The purchase of Halo 3 is a given, and so my wife is expecting me to shell out $70 for the Limited Edition (she won't be able to live without a copy of the game - I think she's more excited than I am).  Since we're already planning to pick up the game, it has been budgeted into our normal finances, and $200 from a $500 check I randomly received from my aunt (for no apparent reason other than she is crazy generous and sends us money from time to time - the rest went toward savings) is going toward whatever I want (I've considered using it toward remodeling our downstairs powder room, but I think I'm going to put it toward a new tattoo as it has been a long while since my last one and I'm due).  But, if I wanted to get the Legendary Edition of Halo 3 my wife would make me put that $200 toward the game and I'd lose my opportunity for a new tattoo.

Limited Edition it is.  The Legendary Edition is just not worth sacrificing random green I can use for anything my heart desires (and my tattoo addiction is just too hard to resist as it has been over 2 years since my last one).  Why did I feel the need to say all of this, even though all of you couldn't care less?  Probably because I've been drinking since 7am when I got back from dropping off my wife at the airport and started working on painting the master bedroom as a surprise (it has been a long time coming, and it'll be a nice surprise for my wife when she comes home for it to finally be done), and I sometimes have a habit of being a little loquatious when I've been drinking for almost 8 hours.  At least the master bedroom is coming along nicely (I think).         

Sometimes? SOMETIMES? Understatement of the history of the forum.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2007, 11:25:21 PM »

Ugh, my CE arrived on my doorstep today and, sure enough, it was all scratched from floating free in the case.  Just booted it up and it seems fine but I think I'll be taking them up on their replacement offer once I've finished the game.  As is, I could never sell it or trade it in. 

They should be ashamed of themselves for letting something like this happen on perhaps their most important console release yet. 
nymanium
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 02:07:34 AM »

Mine was a little scratched, plays just fine, all in all I'm glad I got the Limited Edition rather than the normal, if for nothing else than to have Sergeant Johnson helping me calibrate my tv.

Edit: Towards the end one piece of music was skipping, didn;t effect the gameplay but was annoying, only lasted a minute or so. Will likely send it in for a replacement when the Orange Box comes out and TF2 has my attention.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 06:31:27 AM by nymanium » Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 02:38:13 AM »

Well, my LE was scratch free. Of course, I blame the fact that the discs were 'Made in Mexico', and, well, Mexico is just across the border here in Arizona, so they didn't have far to ship. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 04:51:04 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on September 26, 2007, 02:38:13 AM

Well, my LE was scratch free. Of course, I blame the fact that the discs were 'Made in Mexico', and, well, Mexico is just across the border here in Arizona, so they didn't have far to ship. biggrin

heck, they probably skipped the shipping charges and had illegals hand carry them across the border  icon_wink

Because I can,
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2007, 12:13:03 PM »

my CE game disc was loose in the case and has a few scuffs near the center, but i don't think it's enough to hurt anything.  i'll continue playing for now and just exchange it at BestBuy if i start to have any problems...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 01:28:23 PM by disarm » Logged

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 12:55:55 PM »

I too have some minor scratches. Went through 3 copies instore at EBGames and I took the one with the least amount of damage.

I bought the 1 year disk warranty, so once I've finished with it I can go trade it in at EBGames (apparently they're getting a second shipment)

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 02:36:20 PM »

Had mine overnighted from Gamestopo.

It arrived with a tin box so smashed, the sides wouldn't even close/open.

Ran it over to the a store, the manager was great. He grabbed a fresh copy out of the box next to him, opened it to make sure the discs were ok, and out I went.

I'm suprised a bit after reading/hearing about all the loose discs. My little pegs seem to hold them on securely enough, but I suppose probably not well enough during UPS 'treatment'.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »

sounds like we should wait for the 'Helios' version of the box  icon_wink

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2007, 03:41:27 PM »

Why did I feel the need to say all of this, even though all of you couldn't care less?  Probably because I've been drinking since 7am when I got back from dropping off my wife at the airport and started working on painting the master bedroom as a surprise (it has been a long time coming, and it'll be a nice surprise for my wife when she comes home for it to finally be done), and I sometimes have a habit of being a little loquatious when I've been drinking for almost 8 hours.  At least the master bedroom is coming along nicely (I think).         

and, why has no one said:  "shouldn't that be Master Chief Bedroom"...?   Tongue

This is good info to have though, about the discs. I am waiting for my birthday for Halo 3 - yup, first one with no pre-order, so this link is being sent to the likely bestower of said gift!  icon_wink

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2007, 03:46:28 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 26, 2007, 03:41:27 PM

Why did I feel the need to say all of this, even though all of you couldn't care less?  Probably because I've been drinking since 7am when I got back from dropping off my wife at the airport and started working on painting the master bedroom as a surprise (it has been a long time coming, and it'll be a nice surprise for my wife when she comes home for it to finally be done), and I sometimes have a habit of being a little loquatious when I've been drinking for almost 8 hours.  At least the master bedroom is coming along nicely (I think).         

and, why has no one said:  "shouldn't that be Master Chief Bedroom"...?   Tongue

This is good info to have though, about the discs. I am waiting for my birthday for Halo 3 - yup, first one with no pre-order, so this link is being sent to the likely bestower of said gift!  icon_wink

wait.....

you're going to stop playing FFXI/Oblivion?

eek

where is the real mytocles?  what have you done with her?!?!?!?

Tongue

Because I can,
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2007, 04:16:14 PM »

LOL! The real mytocles always played all systems and all games... but that was because I was a broad-spectrum addict, not just a FFXI/ Oblivion addict, lmao!  Being very sick for almost a year has definitely changed me as a gamer, but I think the basic me is still in there, it just got mutated some for awhile. You haven't gotten rid of me yet!  icon_twisted

Funny thing is, if I hadn't been sick - including most of this week - I probably would have been in line at my old EB, waiting for the "special" version of Halo 3. Then I'd be hollering holy hell about any tiny scratch I found on the disc, but of course! This way, I'll save all that angst, and continue to catch up on my reading and DVD watching.  And I won't be buying any SE or LE versions of DVD's either, lol.  Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2007, 05:20:08 PM »

picked up a limited edition at best buy.  not loose and no scratches.  the guy in line in front of me got one that was banged up though, and had already exchanged it.  i got a rather bs line from one of the stooges though.  he told me that they wouldn't exchange it if it was scratched and that "ms called and told us that we shouldn't exchange them."  i asked him what i would do if the game wouldn't play.  he walked away instead. 

oh well.  everything worked out for me, and i didn't have to deal with nasty/rude best buy return agents.  yay for me.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2007, 05:33:53 PM »

Quote from: madpeon on September 26, 2007, 02:36:20 PM

I'm suprised a bit after reading/hearing about all the loose discs. My little pegs seem to hold them on securely enough, but I suppose probably not well enough during UPS 'treatment'.

Yeah, I noticed that too. The discs should not come loose during 'normal' transport. I blame UPS (or whoever Gamestop uses for shipping) for shaking the hell out of those goods.

Once again, I stick with my 'made in Mexico' line (and the funny response) from above. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2007, 06:49:02 PM »

Quote from: mytocles on September 26, 2007, 04:16:14 PM

LOL! The real mytocles always played all systems and all games... but that was because I was a broad-spectrum addict, not just a FFXI/ Oblivion addict, lmao!  Being very sick for almost a year has definitely changed me as a gamer, but I think the basic me is still in there, it just got mutated some for awhile. You haven't gotten rid of me yet!  icon_twisted

Funny thing is, if I hadn't been sick - including most of this week - I probably would have been in line at my old EB, waiting for the "special" version of Halo 3. Then I'd be hollering holy hell about any tiny scratch I found on the disc, but of course! This way, I'll save all that angst, and continue to catch up on my reading and DVD watching.  And I won't be buying any SE or LE versions of DVD's either, lol.  Roll Eyes
Yay, myto playing a new game!!  thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 07:03:51 PM »

I got the Legendary and it came in two standard DVD cases with no scrathes on either.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »

Looks like MS is doing a free replacement program.
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/gameplay/discreplacement-termsandconditions.htm

This works good for me as just the essentials disk had scratching, so I should be able to get it back before I even finish the game.

LiveTAG: happydog
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 01:08:20 AM »

no scratches on my regular edition, but I bought it used from a place that resurfaces their stuff before selling it.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: