http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 05:29:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 2 - It's ON! (impressions thread)  (Read 17683 times)
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2004, 07:37:07 AM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
Quote from: "JeffG"

I wished I had saved my fifty dollars a more worthy title (there are plenty this month.)  This game is just 'more of the same.'

Wow!
What exactly were you expecting?  Have you tried it out on Live yet?  Honestly the greatest improvements are most evident in the multiplay.

Here is my experience so far:

The game starts out EXACTLY the same way as Halo 1.  Ok, that’s fine.  Not great, not a killer.

The game is full of cut scenes that actually cause FRAME RATE HITS.  Ok, again, not a deal breaker, but triple A?  Nah.  Marred with other small graphics problems, mip mapping issues, LOD issues...  Not AAA.

The guns all sound like a peashooters.  Puff-Puff-Puff.  Eh, well, again, not a deal breaker, but they complaints are piling on now.

The AI is the SAME exact thing I saw in 1.  Well, ok.  In a 20 dollar expansion maybe.

The 2 guns is cool - a little cowboy for my tastes but ok.  Unfortunately, I think the eat up way too much screen real estate.  I already cant tell what I'm shooting.  This is an opinion though, I won’t mark against for this.

Now, comes the pure frustration.  I can't tell 1/2 the time what I'm aiming at.  Even when I get down to earth.  All of the enemies are in dark shadows.  Not good in a shooter.  Frustrating, not fun.  I feel like I'm fighting waves of enemies, running and gunning, down one-way paths.  Wait, that's exactly what I am doing.

I know this is an unfair comparison (in part), but the graphics, controls, AI, physics and design don't hold a candle to Farcry.  Not even close...

Checkpoints...  I'm playing on Heroic for a better experience, and I sometime have to repeat 20 minutes or so of gameplay.  Uh, XBOX has a hard drive right?  Why can't I save anywhere?  Or, when I log out, to I REALLY have do replay the level from the beginning?  The checkpoints happen every at seemingly random intervals... Sometimes I hit one when I run 10 yards, othertimes after huge, difficult firefights.  No consistent, or fun.

Sorry, I expected more from a 9.8 average ranked game.  There is no way this game deserves this score.  No way.  I was so miffed tonight I'm going to try to sell this while the getting is good, before the honeymoon period wears off.  I loved the first game, played it twice.  It was full of adrenaline.  This game seems trite, repetitive, uninspired, and simply a rehash with some minor tweaks of the first game.  Same engine, same design.  And no link or online co-op?  

JeffG's Rank:  7.8  (Rent it.  If you own a decent PC, buy Farcry or save your money for Half Life 2, this game isn’t for you)
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2004, 07:52:41 AM »

Here is my experience so far:

<snip>

Fair enough. I guess you're one of the few people it just isn't clicking with. However, I think you're going a bit far claiming game reviewers have shown Halo 2 bias by giving it inflated reviews. I'd imagine the majority of them enjoyed the game as much as the majority of posters in this thread.

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
JeffG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2004, 08:07:29 AM »

I've toned down the game to normal and I'm having more fun.  I still maintain it's not a 9.8, however.  Just my opinion, don't take it personally.  I didn't buy this game for multiplayer!
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

No worries, I haven't taken your criticism personally at all. We're all entitled to our opinions. I'm sure there are a number of people in your position regarding the multiplayer portion. Hopefully you'll get your money's worth out of it's single player campaign, Jeff.  :wink:

HankRaptor
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2004, 02:46:02 PM »

JeffG- I felt the same way the other night...

I HATE HOW HALO 2 starts out.. it felt TOO SIMILIAR I was bashing the game.

ON to level 2... BOOM this game is HOT HOT HOT I love it... The talons are in and Im in love with it..

Be Patient.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2004, 03:15:27 PM »

So far the Zanzibar level is easily my favorite in the game.  I've played through that level three times.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2004, 03:16:43 PM »

Alright, this is my 10 hour impressions:

Negatives:

The game lacks polish.  I'm sorry, but on a console, where everything is the same there should not be graphic problems.  Plus your squadmates AI stinks.  I find their only really good to grab a weapon off of when you run out of ammo.

I just made it to a section that could have almost been cut and pasted from the first game.

Weren't there supposed to be more vehicles?

At 10 hours I think I'm almost finished with the SP (I have 10 levels listed int the select level screen).  Multiplayer is going to have to be earth shattering, mind blowing, Elisha Cuthbert sprawled naked on my bed when I get home from work tonight madness to compete with UT2k4 in my eyes.

Positives

Great story.  Graphics are gorgeous when they work right.

There's something else but you'll know it when you see it  :wink:

Conclusions

9.8?  naw, maybe a 8.5 to 8.8

3 years to complete this?  It's more of the same with slightly better graphics.  The vehicles are mostly the same, and a few new weapons?  Again, I haven't tried MP yet, but my conditions for me to praise it as listed above still stand.

Worth 50 bucks?  I'd say wait for it to go on sale in the sub 40 dollar range.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2004, 03:28:20 PM »

CeeKay, FWIW I believe there are 15 selectable levels.

Also, that's a pretty big spoiler in your post (Dear God, I feel like the spoiler police now).
AxonDomini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2004, 03:54:06 PM »

My own Halo 2 impressions, after about three hours of play:
(See the comment below for how some of the info here was arrived at)

Graphics
Nice, but I was expecting better. I won't get into the cutscene glitches as everyone else has covered them pretty well, other than to say they are annoying but not a big deal overall. However, even in the game some of the textures "jump" diconcertingly as you approach certain things. I noticed it particularly as I approached parked Ghosts from a distance - the change from low detail to high detail textures was jarring. Fortunately, I haven't seen much of this as yet. Still, it gives the game a bit of a "sloppy" feel at times that is disappointing given the time and hype that went into the game.

The models are excellent overall, as are the animations. They are not that big a leap over the original, but the difference is noticeable. I also really like the weapon models, particularly the battle rifle. They just look "right".

Graphics score - 8.5/10

-1.0 for texture issues
-0.5 for hype

Sound
Overall the sound is excellent. The voices, both allied and enemy. I'm very happy they left in the Grunt voices and comments ("Grenade!!!" <G>), as that was one of my favorite things about the original.  They've added a few more comments, particularly from the Elites, that are fun also. Voice acting is very good, and definitely adds to the experience.

Weapon sounds, as already noted, are more muted for the Terran weapons. This is a little disappointing, but not a major issue for me. Still, they do lack the visceral appeal of the weapon sounds in the original.

The music is good, and not intrusive most of the time. Overall the music is a positive. The best thing I can say is that in most games I turn the music off after a bit, and have not yet had that temptation in Halo 2.

Sound Score - 9/10

-1.0 for the muted Terran weapons

Controls
Nothing much new here. Duel wielding takes a bit of getting used to, as many a time I've wanted to throw a grenade only to belatedly remember that I was holding a plasma rifle in my offhand. Also, it seems odd that I can't switch between single wielding an SMG and having a plasma rifle alternate and duel wielding them. However, that may have been a balance decision, since not being able to use grenades while duel wielding is the tradeoff for having two weapons in hand. Being able to easily switch between single and duel wielding probably would have made duel wielding the only viable choice in multiplayer, and thus reduced the variety in those games. So, while it may be counterintuitive, I really can't count it as a fault.

Other than that, I really have nothing but positive comments about the controls. They are easily learned, responsive and do exactly what they should be doing. Halo set the standard for FPS games on the XBox, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Controls - 10/10

Gameplay
Like the graphics, thus far the single player campaign does not appear to be a huge departure from the original. The enemy AI remains strong, and the allied AI is refreshingly competent for an FPS. Your allies will take cover when possible, and actually help you take out the enemies. Sure they run into your line of fire now and then, but how many of US have done that in multiplayer games?

Level design is definitely better than the original, with a few exceptions. Environments are more varied, and it doesn't FEEL as linear as the original. It definitely IS as linear, it just isn't as immediately obvious from the level design. The seemless transition between adjacent levels and elimination of load time screens is a huge plus in this area.

The gameplay itself is pure Halo. Fun, action packed and with very little built in "dead time" so far.  However, some of the levels do leave you wondering "what now?" For example, in a level where I needed to clear all covenent from a shoreline, I thought I had killed them all and was wondering why that objective wasn't completed. It turns out there was MORE shoreline behind a wall that I needed to clamber over. However, to me that wall appeared to be a barrier at first glance. It only took about a minute of exploring to discover where I needed to go next, but that minute really interrupted the pacing of the game for me.

Vehicles get introduced much earlier in the game, which is a definite plus. Along these lines, hijacking vehicles is a lot of fun. My first hijack of a Ghost was a very satisfying experience (it took about six attempts), and the vehicle control seems a bit tighter than the original.

Multiplayer works very well. I've only played a couple of Slayer matches so far (and didn't do so well), so it's hard to comment too deeply on it. I will say, however, that as everyone else mentioned the play was smooth with very little lag in 8 player matches. I expect the experience to improve as I play more, which will allow the system to set up better matches for me in terms of skill level. Right now there are definitely some FPS aces who, due to the newness of the game, are still ranked relatively low. This is something that will self correct over time.

In the end, though, there's really nothing groundbreaking here, other than Live! play. It's still an FPS on rails in single player. Granted, it's a very well done and entertaining FPS on rails, but it's reasonable to say that it doesn't go that far beyond Halo. It simply took the elements of the original and refined them. If you liked Halo, you'll probably like Halo 2 more. If you didn't like Halo, you probably won't like the sequel much better.

Gameplay Score - 8.5
-1.0 for lack of any true innovation
-0.5 for occasionally unclear objectives

Replay/Value
Multiple difficultly levels should give you at least one more run through of the game if you start on Normal (much as Halo did). Legendary co-op is, of course, highly promising. However, if you are the kind of person who only plays a game once, and if you are not interested in Live! play, the game falls a bit short of the rest of the package here. With a reported 10-15 hours of play, Halo 2 clocks in at about average in this area.

Accordingly, I'll break down my score by how you plan to play the game:

Type A: Online Multiplayer - 10/10
Flawless here

Type B: Single Player, playing more than once - 8.5
-1.5 for the redundancy involved in getting more than 20 hours of play from the campaign

Type C: Single Player, playing one once - 7.0
-3.0 for only 10-15 hours of play

Overall Score (with double rated Gameplay score):
(Again, broken down by how you plan to play the game):

Type A: 9.1
Type B: 8.8
Type C: 8.6

Pros
Tight Controls
Good Pacing
Strong AI
Improved Level Design
Great Sound

Cons
Lack of innovation
Short single player campaign
Occasionally unclear objectives
Glaring texturing glitches
Muted weapon sounds

Note:
Some information in this review was gained from other commentaries in this thread, particularly regarding the length of the campaign and the Live! experience. Only those comments that have garnered near universal agreement were included as part of the review. This was done so that my review could be comprehensive, yet still be timely enough to be meaningful. smile However, I do believe I have spent enough time with the game to graps it's strengths and shortcomings.[/u]
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2004, 05:44:17 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
CeeKay, FWIW I believe there are 15 selectable levels.

Also, that's a pretty big spoiler in your post (Dear God, I feel like the spoiler police now).

Huh... oh, sorry about that  :oops:   I guessed that was in the game since the way the manual is written and didn't really think it would be a spoiler.  I'll kill that part  Cool

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2004, 06:40:29 PM »

Yeah that particlular facet is becoming one of the game's worst kept secrets but for now I think its still supposed to come as a surprise.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2004, 07:38:35 PM »

I just got through the first tunnel when you first get the Warthog ("What like a puma?") and I'm enjoying it overall. But those graphical hiccups? What the hell? How awful are they? Try very. THIS is considered polished by Microsoft and Bungie? What the hell?!?

Also, I'm impressed by the story at least trying harder, but graphically this game's cinematics and the hiccups are just ass. I love the dual-wielding of different weapons, which has led to some ferocious combinations. I also love the hijacking of the vehicles - only done it once but I just sat there in awe for a minute afterwards.

Halo 2 comes across to me as more of the same with refinements here and there. Any score over 9? Not gonna believe it. This is an 8.5 as of right now, and since I don't have XBox Live I can't contest the multiplayer part, though I hear it's stellar. But for those of us who have to settle for the single player, it should have been better than this.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »

For the people reporting graphical hiccups, what model XBox do you have?  Our dorm has one from original release, and mine is much more recent; a lot of the stutters that are noticable on the older one aren't on the new one.  I don't know if it's just the older DVD drives or what, but the pop-in and stutter don't feel as bad on the newer XBox.

happydog

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2004, 08:24:12 PM »

I have a brand new Xbox and I get the graphical problems pretty bad.  frown

LiveTAG: happydog
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2004, 08:27:09 PM »

Well I take back a few of the harsher things I said about Halo 2.  I still think the single player is a big let down and that they dropped the ball on it, but I got to play some 2v2 on split screen last night, and man... it's really apparent they spent a lot of time getting the multiplayer just right.

We had some really great games doing nothing more than simple deathmatch.  If I ever decide to get XBLive I'll have to check out the online play as well, but as far as lan play goes I'm sold.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2004, 08:33:25 PM »

I didn't buy this game for multiplayer!

I did.  :lol:

In fact the online play via Xbox live is so good that I doubt I will finish the single player campaign for quite a while.  The fact that Halo 1 did not have Xbox Live multiplayer at all makes H2 a huge upgrade in my eyes.

Maybe that explains our differences on this.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2004, 08:35:14 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Well I take back a few of the harsher things I said about Halo 2.  I still think the single player is a big let down and that they dropped the ball on it, but I got to play some 2v2 on split screen last night, and man... it's really apparent they spent a lot of time getting the multiplayer just right.

We had some really great games doing nothing more than simple deathmatch.  If I ever decide to get XBLive I'll have to check out the online play as well, but as far as lan play goes I'm sold.

s

I would go so far as to say this game justifies XBLive in and of itself.  I've played some split-screen matches too, in teh dorm; 2v2 is fun, especially on the smaller maps, but you haven't played until you've played some 4v4 or more CTF.  When you have a fully loaded Warthog, two Ghosts, and a Banshee all rolling out on the offensive at once, it gets fairly epic fairly quickly.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2004, 09:43:58 PM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
Quote from: "Sepiche"

s

I would go so far as to say this game justifies XBLive in and of itself.  I've played some split-screen matches too, in teh dorm; 2v2 is fun, especially on the smaller maps, but you haven't played until you've played some 4v4 or more CTF.  When you have a fully loaded Warthog, two Ghosts, and a Banshee all rolling out on the offensive at once, it gets fairly epic fairly quickly.

The 8v8 games I played last night were incredibly fun...it's hard to go back to 4v4 biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2004, 09:57:00 PM »

We played team slayer last night with 4 teams of 4.  Great stuff.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2004, 10:16:03 PM »

Quote from: "AxonDomini"
My own Halo 2 impressions, after about three hours of play:
(See the comment below for how some of the info here was arrived at)

Excellent writeup, and desribes my feelings about Halo 2 to a tee.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2004, 04:15:29 AM »

Played co-op with a friend tonight - it was awesome.  Much more intense than the first game, though we both got lost a bunch of times in the first level.  Still, a great game.

Tomorrow night is a Halo 2 lan party, so I'm hoping the multiplayer lives up to the hype.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2004, 04:37:36 AM »

Quote from: "Clanwolfer"
For the people reporting graphical hiccups, what model XBox do you have?  

My xbox is about 4 months old, and I honestly have no idea what anyone is talking about with these graphical issues. I'm not getting them ... at all. I guess I'm lucky.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2004, 05:42:18 AM »

Hey guys.. have any of you expirimented with the options in the Live menus once you've created a "party" ?

There's an option for co-op in there. When you go through it, you pick from a list of the levels from the singleplayer game...

Is on-line co-op an actual feature that everybody's just ignored because it was said it wouldn't be there?

I haven't tried it yet, I can't find anyone interested. I'm hoping to try tomorrow night sometime. Also, I may bring some friends onto Live tomorrow night. We shall see.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2004, 05:48:08 AM »

I think when you try that it tells you that you can only do it on the same box.  I'm 99% sure that online co-op was dropped.

Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2004, 05:56:01 AM »

But it's not in the system link menu, it's in the Live menus where you select the gametype along with Custom Game, Matchmaking, etc...

I suppose you're right. I imagine it asks you if you're sure you want to leave xbox live before you start it.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2004, 06:03:15 AM »

Yeah, I know the one you're talking about.  I got curious too, it offered to sign me off Live because co-op is only playable by split-screen or whatever.

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2004, 03:52:11 PM »

I'm about 10 hours in to the single play campaign.  I'd say the single-player aspect is less enjoyable than the original and I'd put it around an 8.5 as well.  The story is great but the level design is so-so and the sounds are also pretty weak.  When a Convenant dropship flies in it's barely a little whine.  Disappointing.  And the weapons lack punch.  My poor subwoofer feels left out.  I can't undertand half of what any alien or robot is saying.  The music is too loud (no way to adjust it that I've found) and the effects on the voices are overdone.  I'm going to turn on the subtitles when I replay it on Heroic so I can catch the whole story.

But the multiplay is tops and gets a full 10.  It's obviously where most of the dev time went.  Smooth and fun, fun, fun.

The graphic hitches are somewhat distracting, not killer, but distracting nonetheless.  And while I'm enjoying dual-wielding, it takes up far too much screen space.  For those with widescreen sets is this a non-issue?  Can you see more of the surrounding terrain on either side of your guns?
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2004, 06:39:52 PM »

Well, I just finished the single player, and to be honest, I feel it is a mixed bag. Comparing it to Halo 1 is hard becuase Halo was my first true love on a console, and it feels like cheating to compare it to this spawn of it  :wink: .

Single player story was immense and all, and I liked the broader storyline, but it felt rushed and abrupt at the end.

I havnt played multiplayer all that much. The online play for me was a little odd. It takes forever to find a game. I must be doing it wrong, and there seems to be no way to stay with a group. Maybe I am just not understanding how it is working.

The graphics could be downright beautiful, and then sometimes just horrible. Kind of odd.

I would love to join you guys online, if you see me, send an invite. Same gamertag as my name here.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2004, 07:10:37 PM »

I have found that I actually prefer the xLink Kai systemlink setup over the Live setup in Halo 2.

Of course it's the only option I have now that I've been banned, but I did play a good amount of Halo 2 on live at my friends house and the xLink setup seems just as good if not better.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2004, 11:51:05 PM »

Quote from: "Chrisoc13"
The online play for me was a little odd. It takes forever to find a game. I must be doing it wrong, and there seems to be no way to stay with a group. Maybe I am just not understanding how it is working.

Yeah, matchmaking can sometimes take several minutes. Othertimes I get into a game almost instantly. The problem with staying with a group should be lessened when we get a clan going.

Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2004, 06:23:18 AM »

I havnt played multiplayer all that much. The online play for me was a little odd. It takes forever to find a game. I must be doing it wrong, and there seems to be no way to stay with a group. Maybe I am just not understanding how it is working.

I believe someone has to send a party invite.  Otherwise after a matchmade game you just go your separate way.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
AxonDomini
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2004, 01:09:08 PM »

Quote from: "AJ McClain"
The online play for me was a little odd. It takes forever to find a game. I must be doing it wrong, and there seems to be no way to stay with a group. Maybe I am just not understanding how it is working.

Yeah, matchmaking can sometimes take several minutes. Othertimes I get into a game almost instantly. The problem with staying with a group should be lessened when we get a clan going.

The sometimes slow matchmaking is a known problem and Bungie is working on it. Hopefully it will be fixed soon, since it can be rather annoying. Same goes for the HUD being cut off on some HDTV's. Unfortunately, I can't speak to how annoying that problem is since I'm using an old fashioned non-HDTV. One of the few times I wish I had a problem that others had. smile
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2004, 11:53:46 PM »

Ugh. If there's one thing I dislike about Halo 2's multiplayer on XBL it's the occasional immature gamer. For that matter, any game on Live. I recently played a big team game with a kid who sounded no older than 13. I've nothing against younger gamers, being one myself. But hearing such phrases as "That was soooo gay.", "Omg. Gay!", and "This game is gay." constantly repeated in a whiny adolescent voice is enough to seriously hamper my playing experience.

Whatever would we do without the mute feature.  Cool

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2004, 05:32:39 PM »

I just found something interesting on the Halo 2 ending that people are complaining about (with good reason it seems).

If you finish the game on Legendary, the credits roll and say "Coming February 9th"... but no one seems to know what that refers to.

I just thought that maybe, just maybe, it could be some downloadable content with new levels for the campaign, with a "true ending".  It could be anything though, of course. I'm definitely curious.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2004, 06:14:07 PM »

I love the individual mute.

Last week some kid came on after he had the most kills (him 13, the other 9 of us all probably 30ish)...

"I really kicked butt there huh?  I owned you guys."

He was muted 15 seconds later by me at least.  30 seconds later he was kicked off the server.  Still...    The mute is just wonderful.

Of course now I'm wondering if there is a reason my team doesn't respond to me when I hit that white button during a team match.  Hrm.

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2004, 08:17:48 PM »

The only game I can think of where my wife would actually come find me and ask if I wanted to play was Halo. So when Halo2 came out, it was a given that I’d bring it home. So last night (Sunday) my wife was driving home from working at her store, I had just finished watching football, and was getting ready to jump into EQ2 for the night. Before I had the chance to hit the EQ2 launcher, she walks through the front door, walks upstairs, and the first words out of her mouth are “time for Halo”. She doesn’t mess around when it comes to that game. I’m psyched because she’s actually into a videogame, so there’s no way in hell I’m going to tell her no. I shut down the computer, gave it a nostalgic last look since I knew I wouldn’t be seeing it for the rest of the night, and then it was game on!

For a non-gamer she’s pretty good, and controlling a FPS without a mouse and keyboard can be tough. We’ve played 2 nights now, and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by the story. My wife on the other hand could care less about the story, and will even get up and go into the kitchen to refill on drinks or snacks during the cut scenes. I keep telling her she’s missing out on the story line, but she just fires back “after a day of working retail, I just want to blow things up, that’s all I care about”. I’m not sure what that says about working in the retail industry, but she certainly could care less about Halo2’s plot.

Without giving away any major spoilers, we’re now far enough into the game where we’ve switched sides a few times. At first I thought the decision to do this (similar to Blizzard’s rts single player campaigns) was genius. Unfortunately, it can be a little confusing managing the friendly fire during these levels, and I now have to watch out for my wife unloading on me as much as I do the bad guys. Dual-wielding a pair of covenant laser pistols (the blue v-shaped ones), she can drop my shields down in less than 2 seconds, and then put me face first into the dirt a second later. Thankfully the character we’re playing on those levels has a stealth ability, which I use as often as possible to avoid friendly and enemy fire. Playing co-op on those levels with my wife is like having a terminator plopped into those levels, whose only goal is to lay waste to everything in its path. I usually either trail behind her or get out in front of her as fast and far as I can on those levels. When we’re playing master chief the friendly fire is not an issue.

Bungie has tweaked the vehicles in Halo2 I think for the better, adding some new moves, speed bursts, or other interesting additions. The only downside so far with the co-op campaign is during the levels where you get to use a tank. It’s only a 1 person tank! What were they thinking?? Sheesh. At least give the option for another player to man the main gun, or a machine gun, or something! The computer AI marines can sit on the “jump seats”, but a human player doesn’t have this option. My wife decided to go unconventional last night and rather than walk behind the tank and use it for cover, she decided to go urban and patrol in front. She died many times walking point for my tank, but she was having fun, and that’s all that matters. The highlight of the night was when I respawned helpless high on a structure after my banshee was shotdown. My wife flew up in her banshee, I jumped on top of the canopy, and then we continued the fight (her flying carefully) with me gunning on top as a ride-a-long grunt. Fun game.

EDITED: because I don't know the difference between a banshee and a wraith.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2004, 08:23:10 PM »

Quote from: "Roguetad"
The highlight of the night was when I respawned helpless high on a structure after my wraith was shotdown. My wife flew up in her wraith, I jumped on top of the canopy, and then we continued the fight (her flying carefully) with me gunning on top as a ride-a-long grunt. Fun game.

I believe you're talking about The Banshee, not the wraith.  If you had a wraith in the air I you should have taken video of it slywink

This signature is not personal, at all.  If any of you honesty feel this POTUS (that was me being restrained by the way) is acting in our best interest...  I've a lot of useless crap to sell you. Wake the heck up.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »

Unfortunately, it can be a little confusing managing the friendly fire during these levels, and I now have to watch out for my wife unloading on me as much as I do the bad guys. Dual-wielding a pair of covenant laser pistols (the blue v-shaped ones), she can drop my shields down in less than 2 seconds, and then put me face first into the dirt a second later. Thankfully the character we’re playing on those levels has a stealth ability, which I use as often as possible to avoid friendly and enemy fire. Playing co-op on those levels with my wife is like having a terminator plopped into those levels, whose only goal is to lay waste to everything in its path. I usually either trail behind her or get out in front of her as fast and far as I can on those levels. When we’re playing master chief the friendly fire is not an issue.

Might I offer a suggestion? Buy a baseball cap (whatever color) and get a pair of scissors, some green construction paper, and a pipecleaner.

Now, cut a GIANT GREEN TRIANGLE, fix it to the hat using pipecleaners, and wear it while playing. Everytime she shoots you, point to the giant green triangle over your head, and say something witty like: "I guess this doesn't mean anything, right?" or "Nice. There's no 'I' in team. but there is an 'M' and an 'E', eh?"

SAFETY WARNING : Don't wear the hat in public. People will pistolwhip you for 'nades and ammo.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2004, 08:30:03 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
The highlight of the night was when I respawned helpless high on a structure after my wraith was shotdown. My wife flew up in her wraith, I jumped on top of the canopy, and then we continued the fight (her flying carefully) with me gunning on top as a ride-a-long grunt. Fun game.

I believe you're talking about The Banshee, not the wraith.  If you had a wraith in the air I you should have taken video of it slywink

Given his wife's tendancies to kill him, I'm not sure it was a mistake.   :lol:

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2004, 08:47:21 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Given his wife's tendancies to kill him, I'm not sure it was a mistake.   :lol:

I've caught her cracking a little smile as she says sorry, so think you're on to something.  I started calling her tk'er last night because she was dropping marines and friendly covenant without remorse.

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

That would've been funny, but no, you're right, I meant the banshee. smile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: