http://gamingtrend.com
November 27, 2014, 05:44:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 2 has gone gold!  (Read 2922 times)
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2004, 06:05:36 PM »

W00ts! You have heard right, Halo 2 has gone gold today Monday, October 11 2004. They also released a video tour around the bungie offices which I am currently downloding, the official story can be found here: http://bungie.net/News/TopStory.aspx?story=GoneGoldAnnouncer&p=811577 .

Enjoy!

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Hamlet3145
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 06:07:47 PM »

Will a PC version be forthcoming?
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 06:26:44 PM »

Quote from: "Hamlet3145"
Will a PC version be forthcoming?

Give them 2 years to badly port it over using Gearbox slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 06:32:07 PM »

I heard there are no current plans to have a PC version, but I think there will be. For Halo they "didn't have plans" to have a PC version either untill 2 years later or so. So basically yes, I think there will be a PC version, just not yet.

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 06:39:02 PM »

Hot damn!! Sign me up!!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 06:48:02 PM »

Ok, someone needs to try to clue me in on what was so great about Halo and why Halo 2 is so anticipated.

I played Halo for a bit on the X-Box, co-op with a friend of mine who owned it. My memories of it was that it was too dark to see anything inside and being extremely frustrated by that. I remember the vehicles were kinda fun but that the controller made it impossible (for me at least) to hit anything. I had the most fun just driving around wildly and crashing. When it came out for the PC I didn't bother picking it up.

I did see, a month or two back,  a preview video for Halo 2. It did look pretty cool but I had just seen the preview videos for Half Life 2 and remember (IMHO) the Halo 2 vid was pretty underwhelming compared to that. However, I've seen people claim that they are anticipating this even more than HL2.

So clue me in! What did I miss in my afternoon of play? What is it about thgis game that has you all fired up to play Halo 2 when it arrives?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 06:57:23 PM »

Well it all depends on the map you played. First of all, I suggest you get it for PC, if you dont have an xbox, and play it all by yourself. Singleplayer mode. You will see why we love it. Now, there are some maps that you will hate, like I hate the Flood maps/missions. Multiplayer is hella fun, system link (8+ players playing) totally owns. I still play on system link with my friends, and there has been over 3 years allready since this game got released. We are highly anticipating Halo 2 to have even more fun on system link.

But, you are still wondering "what is so great about it?". The storyline is pretty kick ass, as well as the gameplay. I suggest you go out there and get it as soon as you can, so you beat it before Halo 2 arrives.

Let me know what happens...

malichai11
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 07:13:21 PM »

Co-op on a 60-inch HD TV with surround sound is great.

System link on 4, 50+inch HD TV's with surround sound and 8-16 friends is even better.

The best social game ever.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 07:24:37 PM »

For me it is the mythos of Halo/Halo 2. There is a very deep story behind Bungie's games. All of them are connected to eachother and our world in someway. The I Love Bee's website and www.unfiction.com are just one link to what Bungie has done. Marathon, Myth(One and Two), and Halo are all connected. As a matter of fact Cortana had a message in a readme file in Myth II I believe. She has been talking to us for a long time. Perhaps Halo 2 will reveal more to us (i'm certain it will).

In short, Halo has been planned way in advance even before it was first announced for the Mac and PC.

I'll dredge up some links to all the theories surrounding the Marathon, Myth, HALO/2 connections. Very fun reading.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 08:12:47 PM »

Quote from: "yeyeman9"
First of all, I suggest you get it for PC, if you dont have an xbox, and play it all by yourself. Singleplayer mode. You will see why we love it.

-snip-

But, you are still wondering "what is so great about it?". The storyline is pretty kick ass, as well as the gameplay. I suggest you go out there and get it as soon as you can, so you beat it before Halo 2 arrives.

Let me know what happens...

Actually, if you don't like Halo multiplayer, I highly doubt you'll like it any better single player.  I will occasionally get a bit of enjoyment out of it when playing with a few friends, but I found the single player campaign to be incredibly boring.  

I tend to think Halo is one of the most highly overrated games ever, but I also know I'm in the minority.

Jow
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 10:31:06 PM »

You may be in the minority but it's not near as small a minority as you might think.  I also don't think the game is any great shakes and couldn't really care less about Halo 2.  

I think the reason the first game held such great appeal for some is it provided the LAN/party game aspect many of us have been engaging in and enjoying for years with our PC's to console-only gamers that have never really experienced that phenomenon.  Since I've been doing that sort of thing about as long as I've owned a PC, there's no novelty there...  and the original game just wasn't all that fun or interesting all by itself.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 03:23:55 AM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
Ok, someone needs to try to clue me in on what was so great about Halo and why Halo 2 is so anticipated.

I played Halo for a bit on the X-Box, co-op with a friend of mine who owned it. My memories of it was that it was too dark to see anything inside and being extremely frustrated by that. I remember the vehicles were kinda fun but that the controller made it impossible (for me at least) to hit anything. I had the most fun just driving around wildly and crashing. When it came out for the PC I didn't bother picking it up.

I did see, a month or two back,  a preview video for Halo 2. It did look pretty cool but I had just seen the preview videos for Half Life 2 and remember (IMHO) the Halo 2 vid was pretty underwhelming compared to that. However, I've seen people claim that they are anticipating this even more than HL2.

So clue me in! What did I miss in my afternoon of play? What is it about thgis game that has you all fired up to play Halo 2 when it arrives?

I think people are excited because the overall production values for Halo were very high so we expect more of the same.

I guess you have to first of all *like* FPS on the console.  If you don't then yes Halo is nothing special but if you like the genre then Halo was one of the best.

ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 01:26:54 PM »

I got my EB reservation yesterday...HOOwa!

Halo 2 is so anticipated because it was great.  I just love the co-op mode and the ability to wander around a world to get where I want.  I also think the pace is extremely good and the story is highly entertaining.

EP
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 02:16:34 PM »

While I don't think Halo is the holy grail of gaming I think its pretty great. Mainly due to some pretty stellar level design, the decision to limit you to a max of 2 weapons a time, and good AI that made each battle tactically interesting.  Controllable vehicles, story, graphics, and music were the icing on the cake.

Halo certainly had its issues too- while a lot of the levels were excellent there were also a few that were very poor (library anyone?).  They were also pretty spartan (no pun intended) and several "same level but backwards" were a few too many.  The Flood, while intense when you first encountered them, were overused in the second half and not nearly as interesting to fight as the Covenant.

Most of the flaws, however, can be directly attributed to a severe time crunch on Bungie's part.  Evidently the vast majority of the game came together in the final six months and its almost a miracle it turned out as well as it did.  The near-legendary beach landing level (Silent Navigator or some such) was just a demo level that had become so popular they shoe-horned it in.  

With three years to work on the sequel I have no doubt that the level design shortcomings in the first game have been addressed and I expect an outstanding single player experience.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 02:20:53 PM »

Excellent!  What's the hub-bub?  Well one of the best games of the current generation is getting a sequel.  For me Halo ranks in the same league as Half-Life and NOLF.  Great story, smooth control, sweet graphics, excellent sound and top notch polish all around.  You can't please everybody as some genuinely won't like it and some are just curmudgeons.  But this is one of the few where it seemed to satisfy a high majority of gamers.

I enjoyed Halo for the singleplayer portions far more than the little I put in on the multi.  Sure there's fun to be had in multi-play, but I think the next gen of consoles is when it will really come of age.  Live has done some fantastic things and continues to improve regularly.  Personally I'm doing more and more of my gaming on consoles nowadays.  HDTV, surround sound and friends on the comfy couch is tops for me.
jimmyorr99

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 02:30:57 PM »

This is a huge announcement in my life.  I may not see the light of day for a while after I get the game.

if you strike me down, i will become more powerful than you can ever imagine.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »

Put me in the overrated camp too.  I have tried to get into this game, going so far as buying it twice.  But just havent been able to see it as anything more than an FPS with a plot.  Woohoo?  To be fair its far from my favorite genres, so its not really all Halo's fault I dont like it.

And in any case, I am glad so many of you are happy about it.  Yay.

olaf
Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2004, 05:00:58 PM »

I actually finished Halo two weeks ago. It was fun but not flawless. Loved driving the Warthog.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2004, 07:17:48 PM »

My excitement for Halo 2 comes more from my experiences with its spiritual precursor, the Marathon Trilogy.  Because of this, I know Bungie has the skills necessary to make a much better game than Halo 1, when they're given the time to do so.

I can certainly understand why many are very put off by certain aspects of Halo 1.

Bungie has said that Halo and Marathon are not the same thing, despite sharing similarities, but they've also hinted as crossovers.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2004, 09:08:33 PM »

Quote from: "yeyeman9"
I heard there are no current plans to have a PC version, but I think there will be. For Halo they "didn't have plans" to have a PC version either untill 2 years later or so. So basically yes, I think there will be a PC version, just not yet.

I disagree. I remember watching the original banshee video when I used to host 30+ system langames in my basement (quake3 UT2000 era). They always had plans to release a PC and MAC version of the game; I remember it being a point of contention with fans when Bungie was purchased by 3 dumptrucks full of Microsoft money (they were one of the foremost Mac game developers) . The game was originally developed for both MAC and PC release, and Halo was a sweet promise back then.

With Halo2 they've never made promises to their fans that it would in fact be a PC / MAC game.

I think the only way this will ever be seen on a PC or MAC is to showcase the diversity of the MS XNA platform. If that happens (big *IF* as XNA was likely not heavily used in development of Halo2) it will be after the Xbox Next is released. I'm sure they're already starting Halo3; Xbox next is more important than the relatively small PC market (console sales is where the money is).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:20 PM »

Quote from: "olaf"
Put me in the overrated camp too.  I have tried to get into this game, going so far as buying it twice.  But just havent been able to see it as anything more than an FPS with a plot.  Woohoo?  To be fair its far from my favorite genres, so its not really all Halo's fault I dont like it.

And in any case, I am glad so many of you are happy about it.  Yay.

olaf

The last bit there sounds almost condescending.  :roll:  :wink:

Halo 1 had a deadline. It was a launch title and MS said "you have to meet this timeline". They did, and it's still a phenomenal seller even by GTA standards. (especially given the market footprint).  Bungie stated (about 3 months after Xbox's debut and Halo selling like mad) that they wanted to put so much more into it, but couldn't. So they're saving it for the sequel.

The non-death-punishing co-op mode sold me on it. I could play with a veritable incompetant (where I am a damned fine soldier) and we could still have fun. It was like having the old Contra game back, except you had unlimited lives.

To this day I still play it, and I had my Xbox on the sunday after release day. I don't play it religiously, I tend to play it when non-xbox friends come over and they want to play around with a non-time committed game.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2004, 10:05:01 PM »

I agree with you purge.  Taht was a good explanation of one of the finer facets that really draws people back to playing.  (the non-punishing death co-op).  I am still repeatingt he whole game with my roomate, upping the difficulty level each time...right now about half way through Heroic.

EP
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2004, 11:22:54 PM »

Well, I played FPS games on the PC for years before I bought a console. I even played at many LAN parties. The thing is, there is something special about Halo. It was amazing. And it is nothing like a LAN party with PCs. Whenever I do one of those I feel like we are all isolated in our own little worlds, while with Halo it doesnt feel that way. No PC lan party can compare to 16 people all playing capture the flag in one little room. Sitting on couches comfortably, with much less hassle then getting 15 people together for a LAN party. That is what sold me, and Im not just a newbie to LAN parties. It is not a comparable experience to a lan party. For one thing, it is much more social. And I mean much more social.

As for co-op, it was a thing of beauty. I had never seen such great co-op. Sure, it was pretty easy since you never died, but it always was fun still.

Vehicles. I still havnt seen a game implement vehicles as well. Even games like BF1942 and UT2004 dont implement them near as well as in Halo. They fit so well.

And the story line. I actually got caught up in it, unlike with most other FPS games, where I simply needed to kill everyone in the game. The same is true for Halo, you shoot everything, but for some reason the story line fit.

The flood were great. Talk about a surprise. Sure they got a little redundant. Instead of a lot of strategy like you needed against the Coveneant, with the flood you simply lobbed frag granades and pumped your shotgun. But it was a rush when you felt overwhelmed.

The last level. Funnest level Ive played in a long long time. I still play that level all the time. I cant count the number of times ive done it in Co-op and simply tried to see who could go the fastes in seperate warthogs.

Overall, it was just a great game. Not for everyone, but I think a lot of people were sour for reasons besides the actual game: MS buying bungie, it being for Xbox only, and whenever there is a craze in video games, many people will be against it just to be against it.

Some people im sure dont like it for legit reasons, but a lot of times it feels more like one of the above reasons. One of my friends who is an avid PS2 fan said he hated halo. I caught him one day playing it in his room on an xbox he had purchased and tried to hide from anyone. He couldnt fess up to it at all. One of the funniest things I have ever seen was him trying to come up with an excuse while we laughed. He just couldnt fess up with buying an xbox and loving halo.

Halo was by no means perfect. Level design, different playable characters, more options, more levels and live supported were needed. As well as custom music. Hopefully Halo 2 will bring mroe of this. The videos look amazing. It looks like Halo on steroids.

Count me in to play it too, but not until december 8th frown. I head to europe on wendsday and dont come back till the 8th. Oh well, I will just get worked on Live for the first little while.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2004, 12:05:42 AM »

Quote from: "Jow"
I think the reason the first game held such great appeal for some is it provided the LAN/party game aspect many of us have been engaging in and enjoying for years with our PC's to console-only gamers that have never really experienced that phenomenon.  Since I've been doing that sort of thing about as long as I've owned a PC, there's no novelty there...  and the original game just wasn't all that fun or interesting all by itself.

As a person who used to frequent LAN parties at a minimum of once or twice a month, I'm going to have to disagree with this. My friends and I used to play Counter-Strike, Worms 2, Team Fortress, Jedi Knight 2, and lots of other games at LANs. None of them ever had as much playtime has Halo's gotten since it's release. Not only that, but none of those games had us locked in from 8 the night before until 6 the next morning, which isn't all that uncommon with our Halo gatherings.

If I was going to attribute this to something, I would have to say it's that everybody's sitting on couches next to each other, and not in their own chairs at their own seperate computers. It's like taking the LAN party, and making it even more of a social experience. It's also more comfortable for everybody in the long run.  It's also a great deal easier to set up a Halo LAN at most of our houses than it ever will be to setup a LAN with computers. Once a couple of friends show, you relocate a TV or two, hook up the Xbox's, and you're done. No real preperation required.

*One other thing. We have 5 or 6 girls that show up to play Halo with us most of the time that we could never manage to get into any of our LAN games. As you can imagine, this certainly doesn't hurt the events any.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: