http://gamingtrend.com
September 20, 2014, 02:13:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 2 has been leaked.  (Read 3734 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:54:47 AM »

Just thought you all would like to know...

:shock:

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:01:40 AM »

No way...

*looks*

Way.

Personally, I'm not surprised. Hopefully the pirates got ahold of a non-US edition or something.

But even so...wow. The pirates strike again and this time get their hands on something bigger than the Half Life 2 source code leak.

And before anybody thinks about saying anything - I have a presell for the collector's edition that I'm buying the day it comes out.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 05:10:02 AM »

I really, really hope that whomever leaked it was sure to attach a nasty virus/keystroke logger to it so that the idiot warez crowd gets what they deserve.

I know this stuff happens all the time, but as a developer it really pisses me off everytime I see it... :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 05:29:15 AM »

I also have it pre-ordered, fully paid.

:shock:  biggrin

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 05:29:50 AM »

It is the PAL version by the way.

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 07:03:22 AM »

I'm not surprised at all.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 07:05:13 AM »

I couldn't honestly care any less as long as the game still hits stores here when it's supposed to.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2004, 09:29:20 AM »

Its the French version of the game. Best guess is the dashboard can be set to english, and movies are out of people playing on Live against eachother.

26 days early they got it. Its amazing how fast they word these days. Hopefully this is confirmed by Microsoft ASAP and they ship the copies they have now to stores and can the worldwide release thing.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2004, 11:11:21 AM »

What is PAL?

ALso, how is a console game leaked?/Pirated?

PC games I can see...but how a console game?
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2004, 11:31:23 AM »

Basically take a gold master of the game, or steal a copy from the warehouse, rip the DvD, figure out what file structure it uses, then just divide it up into neat little files for usenet and all that crap. it takes a modded xbox to play.

Gamespot confirmed it...lets see what we go from here
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2004, 12:38:52 PM »

What this means is.... nothing.

The people who CAN play it are pirates; they wouldn't buy the game to begin with. <shrug> unless you've got yourself a PAL system it's not going to matter much anyways.

They'd best be *really* secure with the NTSC version. I've stopped reading reviews and "all abouts" as I don't need them.

I'm going to play Halo2 on November 9th at approx 12:15am and that's it.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 12:51:51 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
What this means is.... nothing.

The people who CAN play it are pirates; they wouldn't buy the game to begin with. <shrug> unless you've got yourself a PAL system it's not going to matter much anyways.

They'd best be *really* secure with the NTSC version. I've stopped reading reviews and "all abouts" as I don't need them.

I'm going to play Halo2 on November 9th at approx 12:15am and that's it.

Not being a jerk but that isn't true.   Anyone who has an Xbox capable of playing copied games, can play games regardless if their PAL or NTSC.  

Just an FYI smile

And I'm sure I'll play this version once or twice before I pick up my copy from Software Etc., on Nov. 9th.

Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 12:58:30 PM »

Anyone who can play pirated Xbox games (in other words has a mod chip) can also change their system from NTSC to PAL (or vice versa) with a couple of button presses.

Edit: Beaten to it smile

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 01:33:46 PM »

Yeah, I was kinda pissed to hear this too.  Bungie is making a great product and I wouldn't want to play it before their release.  How many people do you think are actually going to try and get this?

I thought you guys might want the links to the reports, I saw them here:

BD Gamer Post

http://www.bdgamer.net/

Microsoft’s Response

http://www.gamestyle.net/news.php?newsid=1064
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 01:40:35 PM »

Another link
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/14/halo_2_leak/

Looks like Live is not enabled either, which makes sense since the only people who can play the pirated version are people with a mod chip that is activated and if you have a mod chip that is activated, you can't play on Live anyway...

Any videos of multiplayer must be LAN, which I "think" you can do with a mod chip.

Also MS says that the release will go as scheduled, which means NOT moving up the release.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2004, 01:46:02 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Yeah, I was kinda pissed to hear this too.  Bungie is making a great product and I wouldn't want to play it before their release.  How many people do you think are actually going to try and get this?

The work is already done.  Getting it is the easy part.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2004, 02:49:40 PM »

I saw one comment of Evil Avatar that was "First Doom 3 now this..."

I couldn't help but laugh.  Do they really think Doom 3 was the first big release pirated before?  Hell there was leaked version of Bungie's "Oni" 6 months before the release!  And it was the complete version!  

Every game gets pirated these days.  The only thing that stops people is respect for the developers/publisher.

Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:01 PM »

The game, a key title for MS' console in the run up to Christmas, is believed to have surfaced on Usenet and the web last night, possibly in the form of a localised French version, according to early reports.

French version?  

There's a joke in there somewhere about every button causes Master Chief to drop his weapons...
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2004, 03:00:04 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
I saw one comment of Evil Avatar that was "First Doom 3 now this..."

I couldn't help but laugh.  Do they really think Doom 3 was the first big release pirated before?  Hell there was leaked version of Bungie's "Oni" 6 months before the release!  And it was the complete version!  

Every game gets pirated these days.  The only thing that stops people is respect for the developers/publisher.

Oni wasn't close to being as big a release as Doom 3.  

I agree with your main point though.  

Kingdom Under Fire has been available for like 4 months.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2004, 03:02:11 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
The game, a key title for MS' console in the run up to Christmas, is believed to have surfaced on Usenet and the web last night, possibly in the form of a localised French version, according to early reports.

French version?  

There's a joke in there somewhere about every button causes Master Chief to drop his weapons...

LOL smile :lol:

Elenkis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2004, 03:37:22 PM »

Any videos of multiplayer must be LAN, which I "think" you can do with a mod chip.

With a mod chip and a program like XBConnect you can play system-link games online, which is what they're doing. Basically it's system-linking Xboxes over the internet.

www.giantbomb.com

Go Patriots!
Go Bruins!
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2004, 05:07:44 PM »

Understandably it is pirated but what I want to know is what is the demand for the pirated version?  Does it really effect anything?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2004, 05:23:33 PM »

Dammit, Laner!!

You beat me to it...

Its the French version of the game.

MC surrenders! :wink:

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2004, 05:30:10 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Actually, I'd say the MORE respected a developer is, the SOONER it'll get pirated.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »

Bungie should have learned to not use these instead of the cheap brand...

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
Jason Donati
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2004, 08:23:17 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

French version?  

Nice!  Tongue

[size=10]Currently Playing: [/size]Soul Calibur II | Ninja Gaiden | Starcraft: Broodwar
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2004, 08:31:31 PM »

Question -

Do you think reporting about this is a good thing?  I mean people who didn't know are being told by every news site.  It is obviously news but at the same time doesn't this just make the problem worse?

yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2004, 08:46:28 PM »

Well they reported if people could help, there will be around 50% of the people helping and 50% of the people downloading. The 50% helping will win because it is easier to track people down rather than download it and risk yourself. In my opinion, offcourse.

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2004, 08:57:44 PM »

I believe they are asking for help mostly to find the people responible for releasing it, not the people downloading it, in which case, there won't be a 50% helping population.

As for reporting it, I doubt that reporting it as news creates a much larger base of people downloading it. At most it just makes most people who would download it aware a litle sooner that it is out. A release this big would have word of mouth through the hacking channels spread pretty quick anyway.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2004, 09:16:33 PM »

I wouldn't report it.  Who knows what wacky things Microsoft might do if there's a crackdown.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
yeyeman9
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2004, 09:54:56 PM »

Quote from: "Punisher"
I believe they are asking for help mostly to find the people responible for releasing it, not the people downloading it, in which case, there won't be a 50% helping population.

As for reporting it, I doubt that reporting it as news creates a much larger base of people downloading it. At most it just makes most people who would download it aware a litle sooner that it is out. A release this big would have word of mouth through the hacking channels spread pretty quick anyway.

Actually they said they see downloaders and releasers, both, as a theif. And I quote: "We consider downloading this code or making it available for others to download as theft."

~Gamers are born to play~

"I have a suggestion for you: get married and if you find a good wife you will be happy forever, if not you will become a philosopher" - Socrates.
Punisher

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2004, 02:38:51 PM »

Quote from: "yeyeman9"
Quote from: "Punisher"

Actually they said they see downloaders and releasers, both, as a theif. And I quote: "We consider downloading this code or making it available for others to download as theft."

Yes, I agree, but I said "mostly" (like mostly dead). They will want information for all theft related things, but I think they are mostly interested in who was originally responsible for this.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2004, 07:11:31 PM »

Ripped straight from our main page, from Bungie themselves:
Responding to news of the leaked version - which has been circulating in various illegal channels since yesterday - the developer said, "It would seem that the French PAL version of the game has surfaced on the Internet." As for its origins: "This is almost positively the work of some jerk in the manufacturing plant who pocketed the game as it is being printed in mass for world release on the 9th of November," the update concluded.

Yup - blame the French. They started everything.  :wink:  :roll:

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2004, 03:32:03 PM »

I think this theft has minimal impact at best.  As somebody already said, people getting the stolen version either:

a) never planned to buy Halo 2
b) Already preordered / will buy and just want to see it sooner

Nobody but the French want to be stuck with foreign dialogue anyway.

As for Bungie/Microsoft and other publishers, maybe they should have a shorter Gold to Release period.
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2004, 11:03:07 PM »

Yeah, I really doubt this will affect it much. The people who have it must have a mod chip which means they are pirates (generalization I know). So they would have just pirated it when it came out. They just og it early.

And also, as someone said, what american (Halo's largest market) is going to want french?

No matter what the pirates are going to steal it.

MS anf bungie are still going to rake in the dough on this one.
Napoleon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2004, 10:01:31 AM »

Well, the whole "foreign language" point is somewhat moot...as soon as the English Halo 2 hits retailers, it'll be pirated within the day as well.

HELLO!
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2004, 10:46:20 PM »

Of course, but we are talking about now, before it is released in the states.

It will be pirated shortly, its just a matter of if it is after the release or before it.

But for now, the foreign language is not moot before the english release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: