http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 09:41:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Halo 2 Graphics Glitches?  (Read 2270 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2004, 01:19:10 AM »

I saw someone post about this in some thread...

In the cinematics, I seem to have a delayed load.  Part of the character loads and the graphics sharpen and it appears normal.  Anyone else experiencing this?  This occurs to the MC as he appears to load and look like a character from HALO and then bam, the rest of the graphics loads and he looks like HALO2.  In some cases whole characters are invisible and then pop into view.  Any ideas on how to remedy?
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 02:07:18 AM »

Common problem, no solution, no solution planned for the future.

dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 02:15:14 AM »

You can't fix it.  Halo 2 is designed to do this.  There aren't any load times.  This is the trade off.  I'd take the load times, personally.  The pop-in is so bad for me that it sometimes happens during actual gameplay.  I hate it.

Note also that your field of view is very limited compared to other FPSes.  Doesn't your viewport feel so confined?

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 02:32:20 PM »

I just don't see all the problems people are talking about.  Sure, during some cut scenes there is some clipping or pop-in, but not often.  The game is beautiful, imho.

Wake up.
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 03:01:51 PM »

Yep, it's there and it's very apparent.  However it doesn't detract from the gameplay for me at all.  I didn't realize it was a trade-off for no load times, but I'll take it.  I do wish it wasn't so hard to see when dual-wielding though.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 03:15:26 PM »

Yea, I've noticed the mipmapping (I believe that is the term) pretty often during cutscenes but I'm usually too busy being clubbed like a baby seal to notice it during single or multiplayer.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 03:27:46 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Yep, it's there and it's very apparent.  However it doesn't detract from the gameplay for me at all.  I didn't realize it was a trade-off for no load times, but I'll take it.  I do wish it wasn't so hard to see when dual-wielding though.

Man, it bugs the heck out of me. It's not an issue during the game itself, but the cutscenes look awful. That's strange when you consider the videos we've seen for two years now of those EXACT SAME SCENES look awesome. Maybe I was also spoiled by the teaser trailer movie, but the same moment when rendered in-game looked like ass.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 03:34:12 PM »

I'm in the same boat as Eco-Logic. I've noticed a few very, very minor problems with the game's graphics but for the most part everything has been fine. Thankfully, I've yet to experience anything on the scale of what some other's have posted about.

These problems do exist, though I'm not sure all the blame should go to Bungie. Different Xboxs seem to handle games differently. For instance, I''ve had some serious problems with DOAU's graphics and sound (offline lag, music skipping, menu's graphics not loading properly). There's nothing wrong with my Xbox (if you don't count having a Thompson drive as a problem) and nothing wrong with the disc. Plus, others have reported having the exact same issues. As with Halo 2, these glitches seem to plague some while others play their games problem free. The only explanation I can think of is that certain Xbox versions have difficulty playing certain games. Of course, Microsoft would have us believe that not to be true. But when you've got Xbox owners suing them regarding defective drives and people devoting entire web sites to documenting this issue, it's a bit hard to deny a problem exist.

Edit:

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
...but I'm usually too busy being clubbed like a baby seal to notice it during single or multiplayer.

:lol:

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »

I think I'm about halfway through the game and I haven't noticed any real problems, either. There's been a couple of times where if I spin real fast objects just pop in the view, but that's been very rare. Also haven't noticed any glitches during the cut scenes.

I'm also playing on widescreen and haven't had any problems with the HUD. I wonder if people are accidentally setting their TV to a stretch mode rather than just full screen.
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 04:31:17 PM »

Huh, I'd never noticed this.

And if I start to after this, I'm gonna blame you guys.  smile

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Bob

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2004, 04:40:23 PM »

In the cinematics, I seem to have a delayed load. Part of the character loads and the graphics sharpen and it appears normal. Anyone else experiencing this?

I got it bad.  Figured it was a sign of my Thompson drive finally failing.  I'm glad it's not just me!  Ha!
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2004, 04:45:56 PM »

I'm playing the game off the hard drive so that may or may not have something to do with me not seeing many glitches.

Wake up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2004, 05:06:18 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
I'm playing the game off the hard drive so that may or may not have something to do with me not seeing many glitches.

I don't have a HD in mine, and I don't get the glitches in the least. 1.6 box, with a Philips drive, if that matters.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 05:07:50 PM »

The thing is these people who see the glitches are probably thinking we're just crazy and don't know what to look for, but I honest to God don't see any huge graphical issues.

Wake up.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 06:24:53 PM »

The LOD was noticable at times, mostly when they switched to a close up on a character and it happened, but I thought it was minor myself.
AJ McClain
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 06:53:50 PM »

Quote from: "JLu"
Huh, I'd never noticed this.

And if I start to after this, I'm gonna blame you guys.  smile

Jinxed!  :lol:

Gamertag: Sin Mordai
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »

The issues only occur during the cinematics...

And what do you mean you're 'playing the game from the HD'?
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 07:38:43 PM »

From bungie.net:
NintendoNo1 asks: I see textures popping on cutscenes. Is something wrong with my copy of the game?

No, those textures popping in are part of the small price you pay for no loading times. Since they use the game-engine, we are loading geometry and textures from all over the game, different levels, scenarios and creatures, as well as dialog and music. We could have made it into video, and streamed it from the disk, but then there would have been loading times. We felt this was much better for the gameplay experience.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2004, 09:45:39 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"

He's a rebel with a mod-chip.  smoke
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2004, 10:17:19 PM »

Quote from: "Jancelot"
Quote from: "ATB"

He's a rebel with a mod-chip.  smoke

And a crappy Thompson Drive.

Wake up.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 05:13:11 AM »

Dimmona-

Thanks for the post.

Well, Bungie, I respectfully disagree.  It's a total distraction...
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 06:24:16 AM »

I found this to be a very minor issue. Not a distraction.

Halo 2 is obviously pushing the boundaries of what is possible on the X-box. I'd rather have a "texture snap" in cinematics than have to sit through loading screens that completely take you out of the experience.  Halo 2 was completely immersive, in large part due to the seamlessness of moving from the game to the cinematics and back again.
dandylife
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 02:59:19 PM »

Quote from: "sclick"
I found this to be a very minor issue. Not a distraction.

Halo 2 is obviously pushing the boundaries of what is possible on the X-box. I'd rather have a "texture snap" in cinematics than have to sit through loading screens that completely take you out of the experience.  Halo 2 was completely immersive, in large part due to the seamlessness of moving from the game to the cinematics and back again.

I wouldn't.  The load times in Halo 1 were fine, and I doubt they'd be much worse if they were in Halo 2.  The pop-in in Halo 2 is a real distraction, and it's just going to get worse as my Xbox gets older.

U2K Tha Greate$t on the New Orleans flooding: "The issues that happen in NO, is well you aint blind, you know how satan do things, not only that, but did you ever think why the water couldnt go now where?"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: