http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 02:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Life 2: No Co-op Mode  (Read 1792 times)
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 01, 2004, 08:10:25 PM »

I was trying to remember if there was a co-op mode coming with HL2, but I found this Q&A session with Doug Lombardi that answered my question:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/558931p1.html

I'm curious to know how many of you would enjoy a co-op mode. This is something that Doom had, and I have friends who played the game endlessly because of it. It's too bad other shooters haven't figured this out.

Personally I'd love to see HL2 with co-op so I could play through the missions with other people.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 08:12:58 PM »

Hopefully they can mod it. I'd love to go through it with a couple of friends.

Ascendent
whispa
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 09:24:54 PM »

No surprise that there is no coop. I really hope for a solid coop mod!
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 09:39:44 PM »

I would think that it would be very hard to put coop in a game that has a strong event based story.  Halo, Doom and the Build Games were pretty easy to do because they are all combat the entire way through with no in-game story events.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
warning

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 09:55:47 PM »

A mod team created a coop version of the original Half-Life.  I bet it will happen for HL2 as well.

And while Doom had coop, Doom 3 did not.  Which might have made it more fun.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 10:06:20 PM »

Doom 3 on X-Box got coop and we PCrs got screwed. HL2 would be a 100% better game with COOP....almost all games would...especially RTS and FPS games. I still say FU to all the companies that dont put COOP in thie rgames..especially the FPS ones.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 12:45:20 AM »

Can someone let me know which big name FPS games recently (or in development) have co-op?  It seems most of them announce they won't have it.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2004, 01:59:43 AM »

Putting coop in a game like Hl2 isn't the same as in DOOM or Serious Sam. Not sure why people can't see that, and expect that it should be some simple thing to do.
scubabbl
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2004, 06:59:08 PM »

Why couldn't they add co-op to doom 3 damnit? Make it co-op on lan only if it's that big of a deal, but shitz, atleast try to add it. I wonder what the issues were that wouldn't allow it to be added.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 07:10:18 PM »

Quote from: "scubabbl"
I wonder what the issues were that wouldn't allow it to be added.

Extra money from Microsoft to be on the Xbox version only?

Xbox Live: AgtFox
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 08:33:24 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Putting coop in a game like Hl2 isn't the same as in DOOM or Serious Sam. Not sure why people can't see that, and expect that it should be some simple thing to do.

It may not be a simple thing to do, but there sure seems to be a lot of people who would enjoy it.

I don't see why it can't be done - it's software - the developers can do whatever they want! It would just take more development time.

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 09:47:44 PM »

Quote from: "PaulBot"

It may not be a simple thing to do, but there sure seems to be a lot of people who would enjoy it.

Well, my response to this is always:   There is a small but loud number of gamers who really really want it.  But the majority couldn't care less for the most part.  If co-op was *that* important, publishers would make sure it was available.

I don't see why it can't be done - it's software - the developers can do whatever they want! It would just take more development time.

It's not necessarily a programming problem - especially in today's heavily scripted games.  What do you do when one person is at one end of the level, and someone is at the other end, and a major scripted event is triggered?  Do you magically teleport the other person into the room?  Do you run the event twice (no matter how illogical it may be)?  The logistics may be impossible to overcome in many cases, regardless of development time or programming ability.  Either that, or remove scripted events for the most part...  and considering devs have been adding more, not less, of them over the years, I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2004, 02:38:22 AM »

You realize they've already spent 6 years in development, right? smile I'm all for co-op, if it fits, and with HL2 I don't see how it could. You play as Gordon Freeman, a guy by himself in a heavily scripted, story driven game.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 06:56:21 AM »

Well as Laner said I think despite what boards like this and GG may have in interest that in reality its a vocal minority. Gaming message boards represent a fraction of the gaming population as a whole.

Well as you said its about time. Putting co-op in a game like HL2 is not the same as Serious Sam. You would need to do allot of work with major re-design of the gameplay, and world to make it decent and playable. Thats allot more time and money.
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 04:11:30 AM »

Even with Serious Sam there were levels in single player that don't show up in Coop.  If a level was too scripted it was simply yanked from the Coop level progression.

FWIW - I'm one of those gamers who are 99% more likely to buy if coop is in place, especially shooters.  I've skipped every shooter this year because Coop wasn't included.  I really want to play Painkiller, but I'm much more likely to actually finish it (and thereby get my money's worth) if it had Coop.

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2004, 05:21:32 AM »

I played about 5 lvls of Painkiller and got tired of it and deleted it. I would love to play it through in COOP with my friends.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: