http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 02:38:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half-Life 2 Impressions (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30984 times)
Sepiche
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 19, 2004, 09:46:03 PM »

Quote from: "AttAdude"
So this game is good, real good.  Sadly tho im coming to the end of my time with it.  i can see the end, its in sight prolly just an hour or 2 away.   Anyone rumors on when DoD will go live, it really dissapoints me to see that in the coming soon section over and over again

Normally I think I would have been bummed by it ending, but there are so many shinny new games to keep me happy.  It's going to be tough come January not having a great new game to play every week. Tongue

I think I may have a few marathon sessions sometime and go through HL:Source and HL2 in order.  That'll keep me busy when this insanity ends. Tongue

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 19, 2004, 09:47:40 PM »

Quote from: "Jumangi"
Agree with BigRedCat I don't even bother to compare HL2 to anything like the miltary Rainbow Six stuff since its meant to be a diffrent experience.

I generall put FPS in 3 catagories

1- Serious Sam, Painkiller type games
2-Stuff like Halo, Half-Life etc
3- Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon style(one shot your dead type military shooters)

Not sure what I'd call the catagories. Maybe someone else can think of good names.

I got 'em:

1- Serious Sam/Painkiller types
2- Halo/Half Life types
3- Rainbow 6/Ghost Recon types

sorry, couldn't resist
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 19, 2004, 09:57:07 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "AttAdude"
So this game is good, real good.  Sadly tho im coming to the end of my time with it.  i can see the end, its in sight prolly just an hour or 2 away.   Anyone rumors on when DoD will go live, it really dissapoints me to see that in the coming soon section over and over again

Normally I think I would have been bummed by it ending, but there are so many shinny new games to keep me happy.  It's going to be tough come January not having a great new game to play every week. Tongue

I think I may have a few marathon sessions sometime and go through HL:Source and HL2 in order.  That'll keep me busy when this insanity ends. Tongue

s

I really really wanna play through HL:Source but I know it's only a matter of time before someone(if not Valve) updates the whole thing graphics wise, so I'm waiting.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 19, 2004, 10:05:40 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
also, jonsauce, was wondering what method you used to compress those clips in your video. i haven't had much luck in getting good quality without having a huge file

I put it above, but I'll put it again just for you cause I like you smile

I used Fraps to record, Virtua Dub to compress, and then put it all into Windows Movie Maker 2 and further compressed it from there. All cheap stuff so anyone can do it if you own windows + Fraps

thanks dude. i don't know how i could have missed that.  me=blind

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: November 20, 2004, 04:38:21 AM »

I am about ready to shelve the game after only 3-4 hours.  I can't seem to play very long at all without getting motion sickness real bad.  I just had to lay down for an hour or so after only 30 minutes of play.  It's not the action so much as the frame rate.  Apparently my rig can't keep it at the rate I need for my eyes/brain.  My FX5900 is not doing so well.  I get lots of stops and starts, stutters, and such.  

I will probably just shelve it and wait til my next machine to give it a go.  Or maybe sell it and pick it up then when it will be cheap.

Yes, I could set the settings really low, but with this game I do not think that is the way this baby should be experienced.  A big part of the game, for me at least, is the graphics and if you can't see it the way it was meant to be seen, then you miss out overall.  

Funny thing is Far Cry and Doom3 game me no problems whatsoever.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 20, 2004, 05:51:18 AM »

mikeg, my friend has the same problem, and he has a GF 5950.  I had heard this game runs much better on ATI cards, and I know his PC is a good bit more powerful than mine, and yet he has to run HL2 at a lower resolution than me, and still gets motion sickness.

Maybe you can hold on to the game till you get your next vid card. I've read the 6000 series of GF cards do MUCH better than the 5000 series in this game.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 20, 2004, 06:24:31 AM »

Dramamine?

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
warning

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 20, 2004, 06:53:19 AM »

"We absolutely do go to Ravenholm..."

Oh my God I just finished Ravenholm and I think it might be my favorite level in an FPS to date.  The design was so creative.  I loved the use of the gravity gun.  I think I wiped out an entire army of the undead with a freakin radiator!  And the crazy priest just topped it all off.  In-credible!

If there's a game out there that's more fun than this... I haven't found it.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 20, 2004, 07:22:54 AM »

I read on Anandtech that 5900 class cards should run Directx 8 not DX9 graphics because they could lose up to 60% of framerate going with 9.  Smoother framerate might lessen motion sickness.  Of course, if you're running DX8 codepath now, it's a moot point.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: November 20, 2004, 12:54:10 PM »

Yeah, I am running at DX8 because that is how the game itself set my settings.  This sucks for me cuz this truly is a wonderful game.  Well, I can't afford a $400 vid card so close to xmas, so, back in the box it goes til some time mid next year.  At least Battle for Middle Earth comes out in 2 weeks.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 20, 2004, 02:15:38 PM »

I bought and downloaded it last night via Steam without the slightest hitch...very impressed with that delivery method.

I played for about 2 hours and am currently winding my way through the "Kanal" level. The game is good so far but...is it ok for me to be slightly disappointed at this point? Nothing so far has been anything more than standard FPS fare. I am shooting the same things over and over again with little variety and I just haven't been wowed like I was expecting based on the overwhelming responses in this thread. Am I missing something or does it really start to get better as the game progresses?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 20, 2004, 02:29:21 PM »

Wait till you get the gravity gun!  That sent the game into the atmosphere for me.

Steam updated itself last night.  I checked the news and this is the message:
A small number of Half-Life 2 customers have been experiencing problems while playing the game, and we have traced these issues to corrupt Steam cache files. We've released a Steam update to help resolve these issues. If you have been experiencing problems such as crashing during gameplay or startup of Half-Life 2, please restart Steam and then click on one of the links below. Steam will then automatically verify your cache files. The verification process will take roughly five minutes to complete...

We're also investigating a solution for the sound skipping problems a small number of users are running into. We'll have a solution for this as soon as possible.

Sounds good.

Interesting find
I was annoyed by the 45 minutes it took to render the main menu with the in-game background behind it.  I found that if you right-click on Half-Life 2 in your Play Games Steam window, go to Properties, the Launch Options and type in -console it will bypass the in-game background which takes forever to start up.  No problems with it so far.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 20, 2004, 02:52:01 PM »

Quote from: "Andy22"
I bought and downloaded it last night via Steam without the slightest hitch...very impressed with that delivery method.

I played for about 2 hours and am currently winding my way through the "Kanal" level. The game is good so far but...is it ok for me to be slightly disappointed at this point? Nothing so far has been anything more than standard FPS fare. I am shooting the same things over and over again with little variety and I just haven't been wowed like I was expecting based on the overwhelming responses in this thread. Am I missing something or does it really start to get better as the game progresses?

Yes, it gets better, and they throw many types of gameplay at you. Just play that section with the feeling that you are really being chased and the whole thing becomes more intense. Don't stop and experiment, just get the hell out.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 20, 2004, 05:15:38 PM »

Quote from: "Andy22"

One thing that really helped me is try to avoid playing like a typical shooter.  Instead look around at your environment for items that can aid you.  Are there a line of barnacles (monsters attached to the ceiling) in front of you?  Instead of trying to maneuver around them or wasing ammo, throw an item (tire, barrel) ahead and slip by why the pull up the decoy.  Or, even better, throw them an explosive barrel, shoot the barrel as it gets close to them, and take out a whole bunch at once.  

Same goes for fighting most enemies- look for items in the environment that can be manipulated to take out large groups in spectacular fashion.

Once I changed my frame of reference the difference in the game was startling.

It only gets better too- every level is different and some of the later enemies are wonderfully creative and Valve provides you with equally creative weapons and ways to dispatch them.  

Quote from: "warning"
Interesting find
I was annoyed by the 45 minutes it took to render the main menu with the in-game background behind it. I found that if you right-click on Half-Life 2 in your Play Games Steam window, go to Properties, the Launch Options and type in -console it will bypass the in-game background which takes forever to start up. No problems with it so far.

I don't think this is actually buying you any time.  I experimented with this and it looks like the game is definitely doing some preloading during the intial "menu load."  While the menu comes up faster the following load into a level took much longer than it did if I let the real menu come up.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #374 on: November 20, 2004, 05:51:53 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"
Yes, it gets better, and they throw many types of gameplay at you. Just play that section with the feeling that you are really being chased and the whole thing becomes more intense. Don't stop and experiment, just get the hell out.

I'll add to that and extend it a bit. The first 5 sections; Point Insertion, A Red Letter Day, Route Kanal, Water Hazard, and Black Mesa East to put it bruntly, suck. The levels are poorly designed, too many cheap areas where the weak AI has an unfair advantage and you are being lead by the nose through the course.  Added to the fact that no one takes 3 minutes to explain anything that has happen makes the whole experence very annoying and unsatisfying. However,  as soon as you hit Ravenholm, its a completely different game. A good game even and each level after that gets better.  At least for the next 5 areas anyway as I haven't completed the game yet. Although I could easily see someone take the Ravenholm concept and expland it to be an entire game around it.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 20, 2004, 06:44:45 PM »

Dear God this game is amazing.  I am absolutely dumbfounded by the sheer greatness within.  Unlike Rob, I think the first five levels were all stellar and the game only gets better and better.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 20, 2004, 06:50:57 PM »

I loved the first 5 levels also. The atmosphere of City 17, the tension of being hunted, the high speed chases...had a blast with all of it.

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 20, 2004, 09:16:09 PM »

Quote from: "Gryndyl"
I loved the first 5 levels also. The atmosphere of City 17, the tension of being hunted, the high speed chases...had a blast with all of it.

I also loved the first 5 levels, and just passed Ravenholm and the game is the best game I've played, ever.

This signature is intentional, ie not a mistake.  If you thing Rick Perry should be forced to resign for this crap, you're part of the problem with our country.  Give me a freaking break.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 20, 2004, 11:31:48 PM »

I loved the first 5 levels, and the middle 5, and the last 5!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 21, 2004, 03:26:20 AM »

I agree with what Rob Merrit said. I am still in the Water Hazard level and I have started to get bored with the game. I'm like, what was I supposed to do again? What's my objective? Am I just a tourist wandering around.. wait a minute.. is that rails???? OH.. I am on a monorail in Disney.. I see..

It's the lack of objective and no urgency - that's what bores me.

I am glad Rob feels the same and clarifie that Ravenholm will be a different game. I am looking forward to it!
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2004, 03:57:39 AM »

Just finished it...and Wow!

I too was a bit underwhelmed by the first few hours of gameplay, they just didn't live up to my expectations. I'll join the folks who give a big "BAH!" to 'Water Hazard'....it was too long.  It definately picks up tremendously around Ravenholm. Although there was plenty of good stuff throughout, I must say that 'Anticitizen One' and 'Follow Freeman' were absolutely fantastic chapters. Some of the best gaming ever, IMO.

Screenshots don't really give you a good sense of how it really looks, it's supurb in motion. The bump mapping is really subtle which it keeps it from seeming too plastic (a personal pet peeve from recent games). The NPC animations are great. There where quite a few that produced movie quality scenes. Such as......

*!mild late game spoiler!*

Late in the game, when Alex and you are reunited with the balding Dr. and Dog. The way she moves around and beneath Dog, swinging around his limbs like a small girl around a maypole....simple but very lifelike.

*end spoiler*

Those type of touches show real creativity, and there are plenty of them. I'll definately replay it to try and catch more of those moments.

Anywhales, Two thumbs up.
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 21, 2004, 04:02:19 AM »

Wow, glad I am not playing YOUR game... I was on the edge of my chair the entire time.

I do have to say though how interesting it is that we can have such differing opinions on the game...personally I place the FPS as my favorite type of game hence my fan boy giddiness I suffer while playing.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2004, 04:17:10 AM »

Quote from: "belfong"
I agree with what Rob Merrit said. I am still in the Water Hazard level and I have started to get bored with the game. I'm like, what was I supposed to do again? What's my objective? Am I just a tourist wandering around.. wait a minute.. is that rails???? OH.. I am on a monorail in Disney.. I see..

I am glad Rob feels the same and clarifie that Ravenholm will be a different game. I am looking forward to it!

You're supposed to be fleeing down the canal, not taking in the sights. The game adds plenty of urgency. It should take you an hour to beat the canal so I can't believe some of you don't have the patience to play the damn game. You should be at Ravenholm approx. 2-3 hours into a 18 hour game. The first five chapters are all much shorter than any of the others.
sig20paramedic
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 21, 2004, 04:44:22 AM »

Finally had a chance to install and play the game and so far I'm having a blast smile .  I'm only 2 hours into the game and I like what I've played so far.
Toe

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 21, 2004, 04:56:13 AM »

First impressions:

Graphics: A
Everything looks great. Good stuff. I am running a 9800 pro 256mb, 3.2ghz, 1gb ram. I took recommended setting except i bumped up antialise from 0 to 2. I get stutters often, especially when it "loads" creatures up. As noted, the characters look awesome. I do get some graphic glitchs where tiny white lines often edge objects. But I can deal with those because the rest of the presentation is top notch.

Story: B
I do not know what the hell is going on. I know I am well known and people are helping me out. That I am in an "oppressed" world. But I do not know what has happened or anything about the world in general. I do not feel like i have any goal or overridding purpose.

Gameplay: C
Too much driving. This is an FPS. Not a FPD(river). To put it simply, they put too much driving in this game. It detracts from the overall game in my opinion. I just reached the buggy level and drove around a bit (trying to jump a ramp) and I already loathe it. Bleh! They should have stuck more with the basics instead of all this driving crap. It really brings this game down from great to mediocre for me.  

Overall i give it a solid B up to this point. I suspect after more of this stupid ass driving level my score will drop even further. Hate it.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 21, 2004, 07:24:22 AM »

You're supposed to be fleeing down the canal, not taking in the sights.
Fleeing from what? And why?
And don't you think this whole fleeing scene is a bit tad long?

I am now in Ravenholm.. niceeeeeee.. I am liking it now, so Toe, hang on to it.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 21, 2004, 11:40:55 AM »

The first time I played the game I went all the way to Ravenholm, and then had to quit about halfway through that level. I picked it up again about 9 hours ago, and I just finished the game.

I had no intentions of staying up all night to finish the game, but I actually didn't know what time it was until I looked at the clock when the credits ended. Total time-suck like I haven't experienced with a game in years.

Impressions? Well, the only part of the game I had any complaints about was the fan-boat sequence. I loved every level after that, including the buggy part. The "Ant-Lions" are awesome, as well as a lot of the combat in the later levels.

Overall an amazing game. There's some truly inspired level-deisng towards the very end as well. My hat's off to Valve for doing the impossible and actually topping what they originally achieved in Half-Life. I was completely not ready for this game to be as impressive as it is.

Loved it. Favorite singleplayer game in a long long time.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 21, 2004, 02:16:15 PM »

Quote from: "belfong"
You're supposed to be fleeing down the canal, not taking in the sights.

I am now in Ravenholm.. niceeeeeee.. I am liking it now, so Toe, hang on to it.

The Combine. Why? Because they're at the very least giant pricks that want to kill you for what you did at Black Mesa. It was never spelled out in the original game exactly why those dang marines were killing you but the mere fact that they were is enough to get you fighting.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 21, 2004, 02:42:41 PM »

I too thought the airboat bit went on too long.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 21, 2004, 02:55:21 PM »

Uhh..since you didn't get succesfully transported to Eli's lab you have to use the canals to get there.  At the same time the underground railroad system is being compromised for the first time and the combine is doing everything they can to stop you.

I was on the edge of my seet the entire time.  I guess it helps to know why you are going that route though.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 21, 2004, 04:57:20 PM »

Uhh..since you didn't get succesfully transported to Eli's lab you have to use the canals to get there.  At the same time the underground railroad system is being compromised for the first time and the combine is doing everything they can to stop you.

I was on the edge of my seet the entire time.  I guess it helps to know why you are going that route though.

Yes, it does help to pay attention. They should've included a manual that restated everything that is said in game for those who are staring at Alyx's ass during the expostion.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 21, 2004, 06:02:20 PM »

:lol:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 21, 2004, 06:27:49 PM »

Just finished.  Easily the best FPS I've ever played and one of my favorite games of all time.  This game actually felt like it took five years to create.  Those final levels:   :shock:   This game just feels epic.  

I had no problem with the ending.  Unlike Halo 2 the game actually built to the final encounter- you knew you were in the end game.  It doesn't have closure but then again, neither did the first one.  

I'm truly stunned over the quality of the Source Engine.  I honestly think it puts Doom 3 and Far Cry's engines to shame.  I never would have believed I would be able to enable 4xAA and 8xAF on a year old rig and still have some of those amazing battle scenes and carnage play without a hitch, especially with the huge scale of some of the environments.  Loading times were my only techical complaint but it was a fair tradeoff IMO.  

The art direction- probably the best I've ever encountered.  HL2 had a palpable sense of environment better that was fantastic.  Despite being almost completely linear the city and its surrounding environs felt huge and so I never felt like I was on rails even though I was.

Vehicle stages- loved both of them.  They really gave the game a sense of scale that differientiated it from the first one.  

The lighting was fantastic.  Not just the dynamic lighting but the way the environments were lit so it was always very clear what time of day it was.  

Plot- not much to the story itself but it served the gameplay perfectly.  By the end I really felt like a member of the resistance and all of the characters were fantastic, with Dog being my favorite.    

Enemy designs- Dear God were these awesome.  Whether it was the different flavors of Combine soldiers or the vareity of vehicles they had at their disposal everything was perfectly integrated with the rest of the art direction.  And the Striders- best enemy EVAR!!!!

This is that rare game that makes me want to replay it as soon as I've completed it.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 21, 2004, 07:19:46 PM »

This is that rare game that makes me want to replay it as soon as I've completed it.

For me it isn't rare.  It just never happens.  This is the first time I have beaten a game and jumped right back in to start it all over again.  That is really saying something!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 21, 2004, 07:41:22 PM »

I'm lagging behind in play time to you guys (work, real life, etc), and just finished the air boat level. Wow! it was awesome! I am really, really stunned when I read people saying they didn't like this part.  It was fantastic, and made me feel like I was Bruce Willis in an action movie or something. I could feel the pressure being put on me. This whole section was brilliantly designed with areas you could stop, and explore a bit for health & shields, find out what you need to do to open the next gate, and then hop back in and go.

Is it linear? Well ... duhhhhh... every FPS just about ever made is linear. It's the nature of the genre. I wonder if some of you just don't play too many FPS', or really dont' care for them all that much.  As FPS' go, it just doesn't get any better than this.

(spoiler, air boat section)
dodging the mines the chopper drops was fun as hell. One reason I really loved this part is that damn apache spends an hour hounding you, pissing you off, and never relenting, and when you finally get the big gun, and can now FIGHT BACK, hehe, VERY satisfying. That's great design.  It's not just another kill, it was revenge smile
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 21, 2004, 09:36:04 PM »

For me it isn't rare.  It just never happens.  This is the first time I have beaten a game and jumped right back in to start it all over again.  That is really saying something!

I just restarted too on Hard, back up to the airboat in an hour.
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 21, 2004, 09:37:32 PM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
I'm lagging behind in play time to you guys (work, real life, etc), and just finished the air boat level. Wow! it was awesome! I am really, really stunned when I read people saying they didn't like this part.  It was fantastic, and made me feel like I was Bruce Willis in an action movie or something. I could feel the pressure being put on me. This whole section was brilliantly designed with areas you could stop, and explore a bit for health & shields, find out what you need to do to open the next gate, and then hop back in and go.

Is it linear? Well ... duhhhhh... every FPS just about ever made is linear. It's the nature of the genre. I wonder if some of you just don't play too many FPS', or really dont' care for them all that much.  As FPS' go, it just doesn't get any better than this.

Jeff, you have so much goodness ahead of you that I'm jealous. Wish I could play it again for the first time.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 21, 2004, 10:03:26 PM »

Quote from: "BigRedCat"

Jeff, you have so much goodness ahead of you that I'm jealous. Wish I could play it again for the first time.

I know. It's awesome smile  I just got the grav gun and played fetch with "Dog". :shock:

I have to head out now, and I can't WAIT to get back and jump back in!

I just realized something. Half Life would make a great movie.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 21, 2004, 10:12:39 PM »

Dude, Jeff, if you thought you knew what good was then just wait for a bit because you're about to truly know what scary is.

"We don't go to Ravenholm."

biggrin

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 21, 2004, 10:35:42 PM »

**post contains Half Life 1 spoilers so be warned**

I think the story of Half Life 1, by movie standards, would seem a little less impressive.  Its only competition was in the videogame world where most games hardly even bother to have a story at all.  On the downside, not much plot except for a standard "B" sci-fi setup (experiment goes horribly awry, monsters run amok) and a single major twist (grunts are not your friend).  No characters at all, unless you count the Gman who is a rip off of X-Files' smoking man.  On the upside, HL1 had a very atmospheric setting, nice monster design, and some superb setpieces (Tentacle, grunts rappeling, helicopter attacks, etc.).

Storywise, HL2 is definitely a notch up.  This one actually has characters (though Alyx is a rather bland hot-chick sidekick), and instead of ripping off "B" sci fi, the plot now rips off "A" sci-fi (1984, to be specific).  Excellent design and atmosphere persist from the first game.

You could sculpt all the backstory and art direction of the Half Life games into a decent movie but it would take some doing.  HL1 especially would need work in developing characters, though you could retroactively port some of them (Vance, Breen, Barney) from HL2 since they have been more fleshed out and are no longer just exposition mouthpieces.

I am sure Valve have considered the possibility of a Half Life movie and I wonder if they have been approached by studios to discuss it.  I can't imagine they haven't, given the popularity of the property in the videogaming world.  I'd bet Gabe et al. would want to see it done, if at all, in a very classy way, not just a throwaway videogame-to-screen translation.  Although I'm not sure who actually owns the rights to the franchise... is it Valve or VU?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: