http://gamingtrend.com
October 22, 2014, 01:00:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half-Life 2 Impressions (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 31226 times)
Programmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2004, 10:07:04 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Quote from: "Programmer"
Best gaming experience ever for me so far.
<SNIPPED OUT LONG-WINDED TEXT>
As you can tell, I like Half-Life 2 a lot biggrin

Welcome aboard and well said. smile

I agree 100%.  It's the fact that this is something that comes very close to being an interactive movie that makes it so amazing.

s

Thanks for the welcome. Speaking of movies - Half-Life 2 seems to be revolutionary in the same way that Toy Story was. There had been computer-animated movies before, but nothing that brought the characters and environments to life so convincingly. There's a real subtle art to making a person really care about synthesized digital worlds.
leo8877
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2004, 10:52:31 PM »

I'll give it this, the NPCs are just amazing.  They look and act lifelike.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2004, 11:45:16 PM »

agreed that hl2 has a movie feel to it, which can be good if done right or bad if done wrong.  it comes down to scripting in action scenes.  to be a good set piece, you need a script.  as true as it is in movies, it's true in games too.  hl2 has good direction, in the movie sense of the word.  whomever put the sequences down and said 'this is how the scene should play' did a good job of balancing out high and low excitement sequences and making the action entertaining.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 19, 2004, 12:19:15 AM »

Best gaming experience ever for me so far. I hesitate to even call it a "game" - it's more than that. It's interactive fiction (I'm sure there's a better term than that), and a real work of art.

In terms of technology and basic gameplay mechanics, no, it's not revolutionary. All the basic pieces have been done before to some degree in other games. But the way everything comes together is revolutionary, at least for me. This game connects on an emotional level almost continuously. The environment and characters are so well conceived and executed that it's not hard to believe you're really in another world. Other games have done this for me, but not for hours at a time, and not so deeply that I found myself laughing out loud at times at the sheer brilliance of it all.

When I was young and lost in the worlds of Ultima IV on my Apple II over 20 years ago, this is what I dreamed might, if I was really lucky, be possible one day. Well, that day has come.

Can I get an amen?!  

You, sir, have captured the essence of HL2.  

One minor disagreement, though. I do feel this technology is revolutionary.  There are people reporting running this game with all details maxed at 1280x1024 smoothly on a GeForce 3

It's the most optimized code I've ever had the pleasure of executing. The advanced physics system (including the grav gun) has never been remotely attained on  this level. It is a technological masterpiece.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 19, 2004, 12:36:14 AM »

Well here is my short video.  Its not amazing or anything, but it shows a few parts of the game.

The last few clips are SHPRT clips of some of the latter parts of the game.  

This entire movie contains a SPOILER warning.  I would not have wanted to watch it before finishing the game...although I stayed away from all reviews and previews too smile

http://www.jszostak.com/hl2.wmv

Oh, and I have very limited bandwidth, so please do not distribute this link smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2004, 12:58:51 AM »

Oh hells yeah!

Just finished, and the last 2 chapters are just friggin' great.   It's kind of like the first time you played Omaha Beach on MOH:AA only it just keeps on going and going...

Cant wait for HL3, but I sure hope it doesnt take another 6 years.  That would make Baby Jesus cry.   :cry:

I had one...
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2004, 01:08:14 AM »

so, jonsauce, how did you go about making this?  you have a great ratio for compression there.  almost 4 minutes and only 40 megs.  much better than i was getting with my earlier attempts.  good footage too.

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2004, 01:27:34 AM »

I used Fraps to record, Virtua Dub to compress, and then put it all into Windows Movie Maker 2 and further compressed it from there.  All cheap stuff so anyone can do it if you own windows + Fraps smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Programmer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2004, 02:09:37 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Best gaming experience ever for me so far. I hesitate to even call it a "game" - it's more than that. It's interactive fiction (I'm sure there's a better term than that), and a real work of art.

In terms of technology and basic gameplay mechanics, no, it's not revolutionary. All the basic pieces have been done before to some degree in other games. But the way everything comes together is revolutionary, at least for me. This game connects on an emotional level almost continuously. The environment and characters are so well conceived and executed that it's not hard to believe you're really in another world. Other games have done this for me, but not for hours at a time, and not so deeply that I found myself laughing out loud at times at the sheer brilliance of it all.

When I was young and lost in the worlds of Ultima IV on my Apple II over 20 years ago, this is what I dreamed might, if I was really lucky, be possible one day. Well, that day has come.

Can I get an amen?!  

You, sir, have captured the essence of HL2.  

One minor disagreement, though. I do feel this technology is revolutionary.  There are people reporting running this game with all details maxed at 1280x1024 smoothly on a GeForce 3

It's the most optimized code I've ever had the pleasure of executing. The advanced physics system (including the grav gun) has never been remotely attained on  this level. It is a technological masterpiece.

You're right about this game engine being a technological masterpiece. I've got an Athlon 1700, 512MB, and a Ti4200, pretty mediocre these days, and yet the game runs very nicely for me, and just feels so SOLID. It's almost like I've moved on from playing in cardboard cutout movie sets in other first person games before this, to a real, solid, physical place. With all the physics, animation, and AI going on in the background, I can hardly believe my humble machine is doing what I see it doing. I've been a bit jaded by PCs and games for a while, and HL2 is just what the doctor ordered to get me out of my funk.

Still not sure I'd call the Source engine revolutionary, though. It's just very, very evolved. The fact that the latest and greatest game ever runs well on a wide range of older PCs is pretty revolutionary, though smile Any way you look at it, it's an amazing piece of work, and as a software developer myself, I really, really appreciate how much effort went in to this code.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2004, 03:20:51 AM »

jonsauce, that video kicks ass!  I can see that it really does look as cool as all those preview videos.  The art design looks pretty amazing, maybe not as detailed lighting as say Doom 3, but damn it looks so realistic and more fun to play in.

Aww crap, I want this game now...must resist...Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day! Margaret Thatcher naked on a cold day!...
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2004, 03:24:11 AM »

jonsauce, that video kicks ass! I can see that it really does look as cool as all those preview videos. The art design looks pretty amazing, maybe not as detailed lighting as say Doom 3, but damn it looks so realistic and more fun to play in.

Thanks, I'm glad you liked it smile  Although its obviously not because I did well on it but because HL2 is such a sweet game.  
The game would look better if I had shadows + water on higher settings.  I had both on the lowest setting.  Although the lighting is still alot different in Doom 3.
But do go and buy this game!  You will not regret it!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2004, 04:36:55 AM »

Well after two days I finally got the freakin game to work.  Horrible install process.

Anyways, I just finished Water Hazard and to be completely honest... I'm not enjoying myself very much at all. I can easily rank Far Cry over Half Life 2. In fact, I almost could rank Doom 3 over this. Still its only the first third of the game so hopefully it will dramaticaly improve.

Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2004, 04:46:35 AM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"
Well after two days I finally got the freakin game to work.  Horrible install process.

Anyways, I just finished Water Hazard and to be completely honest... I'm not enjoying myself very much at all. I can easily rank Far Cry over Half Life 2. In fact, I almost could rank Doom 3 over this. Still its only the first third of the game so hopefully it will dramaticaly improve.

Different strokes of course, but the games you mentioned shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Half Life 2.

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2004, 04:58:57 AM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

Different strokes of course, but the games you mentioned shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Half Life 2.

What I'm finding interesting, is that the people who were verbal against steam, or the ones who are "meh" on the game itself.

Doom 3 better? laughable. Truly. To each his own, but to me that's comical.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2004, 05:13:06 AM »

Quote from: "Jeff Jones"
Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

What I'm finding interesting, is that the people who were verbal against steam, or the ones who are "meh" on the game itself.

/FLAMESHIELDS: UP

Doom 3 better? laughable. Truly. To each his own, but to me that's comical.

Yeah I'm sure that the absolute pain in the ass to get the game to run does add to the over all disappointment of the game. I thought the opener and first areas were pretty cool.  I was getting into it once the head crabs appeared. However, Waterhazard however sucked. Pretty water doesn't make up for cheap level design and bad scripted AI. As I said, this is only the first third of the game ao it may improve.

Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2004, 06:37:28 AM »

Didn't think I could have more fun than I've had trying all sorts of stuff out with the gravity gun, but after going through the part where you get to control the Ant Lions I may have. Those buggers were a blast mess around with. I'll admit though I had visions of Starship troopers when those things were around with the way they looked.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2004, 06:45:46 AM »

I have to agree, after the same amount of time played (about 6 hours) I was enjoying Doom 3 much more than HL2.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2004, 08:03:27 AM »

***spoiler question***

jonsauce, I noticed at the end of your video it looks like you're flinging a body at some enemies.  Is that effective, or something that's mosty for fun? And does it work only for humans, or can you  fling creature bodies too?  Thanks again for the clip, it's alot of fun to watch, especially when you get sideways on that jump.  smile

edited: to place spoiler warning
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 19, 2004, 08:27:41 AM »

Spoiler

jonsauce, I noticed at the end of your video it looks like you're flinging a body at some enemies. Is that effective, or something that's mosty for fun? And does it work only for humans, or can you fling creature bodies too?

I'd rather not say anything about that so I don't ruin it for anyone.  I was pretty hesitant to even put that clip in smile

End Spoiler

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 19, 2004, 11:36:17 AM »

Quote from: "warning"
Isn't it enough for Half-Life 2 to be a great game (which I believe most everyone agrees it is)?  Why does it have to be evolutionary?  Why does it have to be the second coming?  Why can't it just be a great, polished game?

I never understood these expectations about games.  People seem to build them up so high in their minds prior to release.  It's just a game.  Don't take it personally if it doesn't reinvent PC gaming.  Enjoy it.  It's a damn fine game.

I can agree with what you said, warning.
It's a damn fine game and it's fun.
And I can show it off to my friends and wowed them with the physics.

Oh well..
warning

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: November 19, 2004, 12:37:20 PM »

Different strokes indeed.  I'm almost finished with that myself and I was giggling like a schoolgirl during some of the more frantic parts.  I had to force myself to go to bed.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2004, 12:41:23 PM »

HL2 is good, but it's no Rome Total War.  :wink:
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2004, 02:17:15 PM »

Quote from: "gameoverman"
***spoiler question***

jonsauce, I noticed at the end of your video ....

edited: to place spoiler warning

Just forget you saw that. Let's just say he captured an exploit and be done with it!
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2004, 02:58:45 PM »

and I was giggling like a schoolgirl during some of the more frantic parts.

Haha, thats exactly how I was during the airboat ride also smile  I thought it was awesome!  Especially the parts before I got a gun on board.

Just forget you saw that. Let's just say he captured an exploit and be done with it!

Yes, it was just an exploit! <nods>

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2004, 03:27:47 PM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"

Indeed.  HL2 is *much* better  :?
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: November 19, 2004, 03:46:52 PM »

"Well after two days I finally got the freakin game to work. Horrible install process. "

Two days?  :shock:  You got a workable install, but I'm curious about what you had to do over the course of several days to get it to work.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #346 on: November 19, 2004, 03:52:47 PM »

Quote from: "Raintitan"
"Well after two days I finally got the freakin game to work. Horrible install process. "

Two days?  :shock:  You got a workable install, but I'm curious about what you had to do over the course of several days to get it to work.

The day one attempt took around 6 hours. An hour and half to install and unlock and the rest of the time trying to log onto steam and validate my cd key. Eventurally it let me on without validating my key and got to play a whole 15 minutes. Next morning, said me cd key was invalid and I was locked out. Next day late Steam magically came back and thank me for purchasing HL2 and I could play. *shrug*

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 19, 2004, 03:53:43 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Nah, there was only one "messianic" game I've played this year, and it didn't have any crowbars in it...
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 19, 2004, 04:10:48 PM »

The day one attempt too around 6 hours. An hour and half to install and unlock and the rest of the time trying to log onto steam and validate me cd key. Eventurally it let me on without validating my key and got to play a whole 15 minutes. Next morning, said me cd key was invalid and I was locked out. Next day late Steam magically came back and thank me for purchasing HL2 and I could play. *shrug*

I can kind of vouch for this. My best friend bought the retail DVD version, and was excited to play.  He got home, and put in the DVD, and perhaps 1.5 to 2 hours, he was finally playing, and then only because Steam gave him "a pass" to go ahead play during the verification process.  I guess things turned out ok, as he was still playing the second day.  He was getting frustrated though, during the install. He's stuck on dialup (in a remote area), and it took forever to download "required" updates, to decrypt the files, blah blah.

I agree with a lot of people, that this is one of, if not THE worst install ever, IF you bought the retail version. It's my view that most if not all of us who bought on Steam had a smooth experience. For me, Steam has been flawless. I have never once had it fail to connect.  But those that bought retail have been given the shaft, with already used keys, failed cd checks, etc.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 19, 2004, 05:05:23 PM »

It seems I lucked out.  I picked up the DVD version and I was playing the game within 30 minutes of beginning installation.  It may have helped that I already had an existing Steam account.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 19, 2004, 05:24:51 PM »

I was in the same boat.  I bought my DVD copy at 10:05 ET and was home and playing by 11:15.  I didn't exit out of the game for over 24 hours though since I heard about problems with steam smile

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 19, 2004, 05:30:39 PM »

In spite of some less than stellar comments I made about HL2 a page or so ago, I do have to say that my retail version (5 CDs) installed just fine and the authenication connection with Steam didn't take more than a few minutes. Oh, and now that I have one time shut off my internet connection via the Zonealarm system tray icon and responded to the subsequent Steam prompt about playing offline, when Steam now sees that I'm offline it just starts the game in offline mode without any more input on my part.

I'm still not wildly excited about the game, but I'm only about an hour into it (damn holidays, damn relatives), so I'll bow to those who have played more of the game and have very good opinions of it.

I do have to note that the slight video stuttering I saw earlier does seems to have almost gone away and with most details at "High", res at 1024x768, and effects settings of 8X FSAA and 4X AA (or vice versa on the last two, keep getting them confused) the game does indeed look incredible and plays smooth as butta, for those who care about those things  :wink:. Those settings are what the game selected for me, and while at first I thought the 1024x768 was a bit low, the FSAA/AA adjustments *really* do make it look absolutely seamless and without jaggies, and that's on a 21" Trinatron a foot and a half from my face  :lol:
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: November 19, 2004, 06:08:33 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"

Nah, there was only one "messianic" game I've played this year, and it didn't have any crowbars in it...

No Yuo!  :lol:
walTer

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 19, 2004, 06:12:52 PM »

One thing I have to bring up is that I think there is a lot of semantics going on- revolutionary, evolutionary....you have to admit that the game engine does things that have never been done before.

Sure, it is a linear FPS....that's what HL2 is- a linear FPS.

That is the starting point but from there, it takes the FPS so far beyond games like Far Cry (which I love very much -heh 2 levels to go) but frankly other than huge beautiful maps, it is a vanilla fps, and Doom 3 which is by far the best looking flashlight simulator ever.

There is only so much "revolution" you can do in an fps...but what Valve has done is create an engine and a game that is so far superior to anything out there is just amazes me.

Now, if you didn't like HL 1 or don't find enjoyment in an FPS, well HL2 is NOT for you plain and simple.

My opinion but in a game where you can pick up a barrel and use it as a shield...come on, or using bricks to make a see-saw move to make a ramp...that ain't been done before!

An think of the mods...oh man Natural Selection with this engine... woohoo!
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 19, 2004, 06:31:32 PM »

I think the expectation that you have for a game will make or break it for most people.  I think HL2 is an awesome game (I am an official Fan Boi now that I finished it and loved it) but I didn't have any idea what to expect.  What I did expect was to play a fun FPS.  Other than that everything was extra.  The physics just plain kicked ass.  The vehicles were awesome too.  I liked how I wasn't just shooting from them on a rail.  I had to hop out and solve a few puzzles before I could get back in and go somewhere.  It made me feel like I was traveling a long distance to get to my destination rather than just running through some buildings.  Plus it gave me a better feel for the world instead of just being cramped in City 17 the entire time.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #355 on: November 19, 2004, 06:52:29 PM »

definately having fun with this one.  looks great and plays smoothly on my machine.  i like how the world in this one is fleshed out and people have a method to doing things that works for them.  how the rebels deal with combine attacks and ant lions during the coast level is very cool.  how they set up their city side bases and underground routes is great.  i get the feeling that people have been living here for a while with the oppresive combine and know what to do to survive.  reminds me of the french rebels during ww2.  

i loved finding the combine on recon during this time, and seeing them in a surveillance op was cool.  you could very well miss it, as you could miss seeing the gman appearances.   nice touches like that give more life to the world than in other fps's i've played

it takes a while to get used to driving the buggy as it handles much differently than i expected it to, but i like it that way.  it drives like a jury rigged dune buggy should, overly powerful and touchy.  it's not UT2k4, but it fits within the confines of the world.

also, jonsauce, was wondering what method you used to compress those clips in your video.  i haven't had much luck in getting good quality without having a huge file

BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 19, 2004, 08:04:15 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
I think the expectation that you have for a game will make or break it for most people.  I think HL2 is an awesome game (I am an official Fan Boi now that I finished it and loved it) but I didn't have any idea what to expect.  What I did expect was to play a fun FPS.  Other than that everything was extra.  The physics just plain kicked ass.  The vehicles were awesome too.  I liked how I wasn't just shooting from them on a rail.  I had to hop out and solve a few puzzles before I could get back in and go somewhere.  It made me feel like I was traveling a long distance to get to my destination rather than just running through some buildings.  Plus it gave me a better feel for the world instead of just being cramped in City 17 the entire time.

I think two or three of the people in this thread that don't like it are deep down(or maybe not so deep) looking for the same type of squad combat/tactics that so many other games provide. And I believe they'll get what they want if they would just play chapters 9 through 12 which are pretty much ALL intense building/street firefights against multiple enemies.

Some also need to remember that more realistic combat does not equal a better game. They won't enjoy the gravity gun because they want to lean and look down sights. Which has all been done before, but since HL2 doesn't offer it, it's a step back in their minds.

Maybe we need a new catagory for these players evoking their need for realistic combat...grognard FPSers? Wanting this is fine, but it's not the type of gamer HL2 focuses on.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 19, 2004, 08:42:38 PM »

also, jonsauce, was wondering what method you used to compress those clips in your video. i haven't had much luck in getting good quality without having a huge file

I put it above, but I'll put it again just for you cause I like you smile

I used Fraps to record, Virtua Dub to compress, and then put it all into Windows Movie Maker 2 and further compressed it from there. All cheap stuff so anyone can do it if you own windows + Fraps

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 19, 2004, 09:10:14 PM »

Agree with BigRedCat I don't even bother to compare HL2 to anything like the miltary Rainbow Six stuff since its meant to be a diffrent experience.

I generall put FPS in 3 catagories

1- Serious Sam, Painkiller type games
2-Stuff like Halo, Half-Life etc
3- Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon style(one shot your dead type military shooters)

Not sure what I'd call the catagories. Maybe someone else can think of good names.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 19, 2004, 09:40:52 PM »

So this game is good, real good.  Sadly tho im coming to the end of my time with it.  i can see the end, its in sight prolly just an hour or 2 away.   Anyone rumors on when DoD will go live, it really dissapoints me to see that in the coming soon section over and over again

AttA
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: