http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 03:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half-Life 2 Impressions (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30909 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 17, 2004, 08:53:35 PM »

I think the load times are fine.  The first one when you're running up to the roof is the only one I've found to be annoying.  The others act as a much needed breather and opportunity for me to take my eyes off the screen for a moment. smile
manhack
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 17, 2004, 09:08:38 PM »

I love this game. And can you guess what my new favorite enemy is?
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 17, 2004, 09:25:52 PM »

i like how there have been diferent ways of taking out enemies or getting past them.  the barnacles for instance, you don't have to shoot each one of them separately.  using the environment against your enemies is also fun, and i haven't even made it to the gravity gun yet

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 17, 2004, 10:03:06 PM »

I love how you can use a flash light and a gun at the same time.  

What a freaking concept.

This game is so much better than the joke fest that is Doom 3.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #244 on: November 17, 2004, 10:09:41 PM »

Half Life 2 makes Doom 3 look like checkers  unibrow

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 17, 2004, 10:13:03 PM »

Quote from: "th'FOOL"

Or Connect 4 even.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 17, 2004, 10:16:07 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

Or Connect 4 even.

Or...

There's no place like OO, there's no place like OO. frown
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 17, 2004, 10:28:03 PM »

Quote from: "SpaceLord"
Quote from: "Eco-Logic"

Or Connect 4 even.

Or...

You win!  That is exactly what Half Life 2 makes Doom 3 look like, a little more like this one though:

SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2004, 10:32:10 PM »

:mrgreen:

GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 17, 2004, 11:24:36 PM »

Love it.  It's a fantastic game, and without a doubt(in my mind) the best FPS of all time. BUt I just thought of one thing that kinda ticks me off..well it doesnt really make me mad, but I think it's kind of lame that it's not in the game.  Multiplayer.  Yeah, yeah I know there's Counterstrike.  Yippee.  I rank CS right up there with Diablo and EQ as the most over-hyped, crappy games Ive ever had the displeasure to play. BUt that's just my $.02.

No what I dont like that they left out is something as simple as Deathmatch.  How hard could that have been to put in?  Id love, FREAKING LOVE, to go run around online in DM with the gravity gun, and I think it'd be a blast to play in a match like that.

Maybe Valve was just saving themselves so they could get us TeamFortress 2 by XMAS...Please?

STill, it's a great game.  CLose to 15 hours in and Im pretty sure Im nowhere near done.

I had one...
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 17, 2004, 11:29:08 PM »

Anyone record any movies of gameplay yet? Doesn't have to be anything spoilerish, just as long as it shows off some features of the game(graphics, combat, physics, etc).  Specifically, I'm interested in seeing stuff NOT previously shown by Valve. Thanks for any links.
SpaceLord
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 17, 2004, 11:33:59 PM »

Right, two words:

Team Fortress Classic.

I want it. Heck, how about a class that has exclusive access to the Grav Gun?  :shock:

gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2004, 11:56:28 PM »

No TFC Source or TF2 is the main reason I'm not getting this game yet.  That's way I'd like to see the gameplay movies, to see if it might still be worth it to me even only as a single player game.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 18, 2004, 12:31:30 AM »

gameoverman, i could arrange to take some movies of gameplay, a sequence with a vehicle, nothing you haven't seen before.  finding a place to up them is the other problem though.  perhaps a bt seed?

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 18, 2004, 12:44:31 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"
gameoverman, i could arrange to take some movies of gameplay, a sequence with a vehicle, nothing you haven't seen before.  finding a place to up them is the other problem though.  perhaps a bt seed?

You can take movies? :shock: HOW? I would LOVE to show some cool stuff!

Oh, and I'd be happy to host the files at my website, so long as we agree that we don't give out the links beyond this forum. I only get 5 GB monthly xfer.

edit to add:  :lol:  at eco-logic's dark tic-tac-toe board
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: November 18, 2004, 12:50:47 AM »

yup.  good ol' fraps.  still at work here, but i could get a great movie done after i get home.  how about a little boat work eh?

Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2004, 12:59:24 AM »

LOL @ Eco.......classic!

Doom3 has coagulated into the cheese between my testes and thigh.  And to think I paid the same price as HL2 for it.  :roll:

I'm still not terribly overwhelmed with HL2.......yes I do like it and what it brings to the table.  But...I need a driving story (ala NOLF1 and even HL1).   Something that makes me play to the next level because I want to see the plot progress.  I'm just not feeling it yet in HL2.  (I'm getting my ass pummeled in the airboat right now.)

And I think the openended gameplay of FarCry was phenomenal and would have made HL2 even better than it is now.  HL2 is a hardcore rail rider.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2004, 01:04:23 AM »

I read in that long Gamestop article about the development of Half-life 2 that the developers would play through the game constantly asking themselves, "What is the player doing now?" And it pays off with a game experience that never lags and (at least early on) is endlessly fun and surprising.

How far in are you?  While the plot isn't huge I think its a pretty decent one.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 18, 2004, 01:06:42 AM »

I have a bt client so that method would be fine, or emule or however else you can.  Of course any link provided here would stay for only here as far as I'm concerned.  Thanks guys, you can get alot of info from reviews and impressions, but to get the 'feel'  I think I need to see the game in action.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 18, 2004, 01:09:18 AM »

wow, what a serious disk hog a movie can be.  i just took a short sequence, around 2 minutes 20 seconds and the file weighs in at 1.5 gb!  it wasn't even full screen either.  crazy.  let me work with it a little bit and see if i can reduce the overall size of the file.  

what's the best and easiest conversion from .avi?  something that has a pretty good quality to compression ratio?  i have access to premiere because of work, so if there's any plugins for this sort of thing, i can do it.

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2004, 01:10:53 AM »

oh, almost forgot.  what kind of scenes would you be most interested in for now?  i just did a chase sequence in a boat, and it's pretty hectic but not very indicative of what the shooting sequences are like

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2004, 02:28:46 AM »

Um, just so you know, those preview videos for HL2 are pretty much on the spot.  I know how everyone has said they're all fake and everything, but that's how the gameplay really goes.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2004, 03:41:50 AM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Um, just so you know, those preview videos for HL2 are pretty much on the spot.  I know how everyone has said they're all fake and everything, but that's how the gameplay really goes.

The videos don't do the actual game justice.

I'm another hour or two in now, and holy christ...  this game is a technical and artistic masterpiece.

The 5.1 sound is AMAZING.  just stop (if you get a chance) and listen ...  there's a sound for everything. Smack your crowbar against a brick wall, and it will chip the wall, and you can hear the dust and pebbles hitting the floor.  It's also got me on the edge of my seat, my character twitching around (wha's that noise?!), with stuff going on all around me.

There are even different types of "walking on grass or dirt" sounds, like hard dirt vs soft dirt.

The visuals are incredibly realistic. Literally almost photo-realistic in areas.

I could gush all night about this game. I'm in gaming heaven.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2004, 03:52:03 AM »

I could gush

Whoa keep it in your pants buddy, we all love the game. No reason to start flinging body fluids at each other now. *chuckles*

Ascendent
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 18, 2004, 03:53:46 AM »

After playing for almost 3 hours, I do find that while HL2 is a great game with amazing technology, it is not "the next step" in gaming. To me, it's like CoD: UO or maybe MOH: PA. They all looked great, has a lot of atmosphere, games that are worth the $60 Valve charged for it.. but yet, HL2 are just one of the games in the pack I mentioned above.

The last time I was truly blown away by a game was when I played GTA III in the PC. That game is so new in every area that I returned to the PC every minute I have. Vice City was fun, but it wasn't the leap that GTA III had to me.

I was hoping HL2 would be a evolution to FPS. It's not. It did a great job. I love the technology. Sadly, it's just another FPS.
Jafisob
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 18, 2004, 04:21:38 AM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
The load times seem to take a lot less time in the latter chapters (4-9) for me.  Although I never had to much of a problem with load times being mroe than 15 seconds.  I don't have that great of a PC (XP 2800+ 1 gig ram, Raedon 9700 128mb) but I think my 1 gig of ram helps.  My harddrive is not SATA so my load times should take longer if you have the same amount of ram.

I have 2 gigs of ram and the load times are still slow.   Some anomaly?  :?
Yossarian
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: November 18, 2004, 07:06:10 AM »

Quote from: "belfong"
I was hoping HL2 would be a evolution to FPS. It's not. It did a great job. I love the technology. Sadly, it's just another FPS.

well, you're entitled to your opinion, even if you're wrong slywink  HL2 has GREAT realistic graphics, the best human characters in any game ever, good character acting, fun puzzles that don't take you out of the game, tons of atmosphere, etc. etc.  it's leaps and bounds past just about any FPS before it.

Now playing Star Trek Tactical Assault, Poker
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 18, 2004, 08:13:31 AM »

The gravity gun is just a blast. Its another innovative thing thats the first gamplay mechanic to truely show off what a phyics system can do. The objects also behave pretty close to reality. This isn't the goofy floaty physics that so many games before have done(i.e. where everything feels like its made of styrofoam). Drop a concrete block and it thuds like one. Shoot off a tire and it will roll, bounce and spin like a tire would.
gameoverman

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 18, 2004, 08:43:12 AM »

Quote from: "Caine"
oh, almost forgot.  what kind of scenes would you be most interested in for now?  i just did a chase sequence in a boat, and it's pretty hectic but not very indicative of what the shooting sequences are like

A short sequence is cool, say less than 30 seconds, those files can be huge.

Maybe something showing the facial movements everyone is talking about. Maybe a brief example of something interesting the physics make possible. Thanks again.
jztemple
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 18, 2004, 01:02:48 PM »

After playing for almost 3 hours, I do find that while HL2 is a great game with amazing technology, it is not "the next step" in gaming. To me, it's like CoD: UO or maybe MOH: PA. They all looked great, has a lot of atmosphere, games that are worth the $60 Valve charged for it.. but yet, HL2 are just one of the games in the pack I mentioned above.

The last time I was truly blown away by a game was when I played GTA III in the PC. That game is so new in every area that I returned to the PC every minute I have. Vice City was fun, but it wasn't the leap that GTA III had to me.

Belfong, I agree with you in several ways. Yup, the graphics are amazing (my new X800 Pro came in at just the right time) and it puts Doom3 to shame with such a variety of enviroments. But honestly, it's still running and gunning and solving puzzles. Sure, it's very, VERY well done, but... well, maybe the hype had raised my expectations too high. Yes, it really is the ultimate FPS, but I won't take too much persuading for me to drop HL2 for awhile when Joint Operations: Escalation comes out in the next couple of days. I'd rather be running and gunning with my buds.

Speaking of the GTA franchise, as I have mentioned in the forum I picked up a Playstation 2 unit solely for the opportunity to play San Andreas (which I got the day it was released) and I haven't been disappointed! Sure, it's PS2 level graphics, but the gameplay really is a step above GTA3 or GTAVC. I *just* unlocked the last city (Las Venturas) and that's not due to being stuck on missions (although there's been some of that), it's more because there is just so much to do.

In fact, after installing and playing HL2 for an hour last night, I sighed, closed it down, and went back to GTASA on the PS2. Sure, I'll continue with HL2 and finish it up sometime, but I think only in increments of an hour at a time. Any more than that and I start to burn out on it... kill someone, run, solve puzzle, kill someone, run, solve puzzle...  :wink:
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 18, 2004, 01:57:37 PM »

The reason I feel it is an evolution is that everything is so well integrated that I never feel like I'm playing a game. I drive buggies and airboats and cranes and use gravity to move giant objects, yet it's all perfectly simple and realistic and I don't exploit the enviroment. I honestly think many of you are taking the LEAPS this game has made for granted.
Falcon554
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 18, 2004, 02:06:22 PM »

I might be the only one but I found GTA boring as hell  biggrin

Scott
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 18, 2004, 02:15:11 PM »

I think HL 2 is an evolution for the genre.  I know I sure as hell haven't played anything like it before.  It's already in my top 3 favorite games of all time and I just got past the air boat section.  The game is a freaking masterpiece.  I've had so many memorable moments already, and jumped out of my seat a couple times as well, and I'm not even to the creepy part yet.  

The graphics are better than anything else, the gameplay is better tha anything else, the environment is better than anything else, the game is on a whole new level and has raised the bar, again.
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 18, 2004, 02:27:29 PM »

I take offense to that.  To put HL2 in the same camp as those two piles of trash is blasphemy.

If I added a sig, would you read it?
warning

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 18, 2004, 02:58:53 PM »

Isn't it enough for Half-Life 2 to be a great game (which I believe most everyone agrees it is)?  Why does it have to be evolutionary?  Why does it have to be the second coming?  Why can't it just be a great, polished game?

I never understood these expectations about games.  People seem to build them up so high in their minds prior to release.  It's just a game.  Don't take it personally if it doesn't reinvent PC gaming.  Enjoy it.  It's a damn fine game.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 18, 2004, 03:34:09 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Isn't it enough for Half-Life 2 to be a great game (which I believe most everyone agrees it is)?  Why does it have to be evolutionary?  Why does it have to be the second coming?  Why can't it just be a great, polished game?

I never understood these expectations about games.  People seem to build them up so high in their minds prior to release.  It's just a game.  Don't take it personally if it doesn't reinvent PC gaming.  Enjoy it.  It's a damn fine game.

IMO, this game is the Second Coming.  Blissful.  I'm starting to sound like a major fanboy, but I really do mean it, and I don't go on like this with every game. I might say a game is great, but not much else has really hit me like this one has.

HL2 isn't coming off my hard drive for years, if ever.  When I finish it for the 5th time, I'll still leave it on to use as a showpiece, if nothing else.

Gamespy's review is up. 5/5, and here's a few things they have to say:

In the beginning, the gravity gun seems like a novelty, picking up barrels and throwing them at enemies. Before long, however, you realize that it opens up an entirely new set of gameplay options. You can pull a radiator off a wall and use it as a shield against snipers. You can grab supply crates from out-of-reach places and snatch valuable powerups from across a room. You'll use it to build makeshift bridges, and once you realize it's strong enough to push cars around, you'll walk into areas filled with debris and start bouncing everything at anyone who comes near you. Half-Life 2 would have been a great FPS without it, but the gravity gun adds an entirely new dimension to the game unlike anything that's come before it.

Finally, there's no better proof of how Half-Life 2 outshines the original than its endgame. While the original Half-Life ended with a highly criticized trip to the alien world of Xen, I thought the final missions of Half-Life 2 were the best in the game.... (snip) ... Even if the story leaves questions unanswered, I found the gameplay in the two final chapters to be an immensely satisfying conclusion.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 18, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »

I don't care what anybody says  :lol: .

Half life is one of the best PC games ever made.

Half Life 2 is one of the best PC games ever made.

Counterstrike is one of the best online action games ever made.

Day of Defeat is one of the best multiplayer WW2 games ever made.

And Valve bundled them all together with a more modern update to the older ones for $59.

Sure we are talking about Half Life 2, but for many of us it includes much more than HL2.

I orginally bought the package exclusively for CS, and HL2 has turned out to be an incredible freebie smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 18, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »

Boy, lots of people getting evolutionary and revolutionary mixed up...

I didn't expect the same gameplay advances that Half Life 1 brought because to change the formula it wouldn't be Half-Life anymore.  HL1 did so many things perfectly that FPS competitors in 2003 still can't match up to that I'm more than content to see Valve take their own baton and continue running with it.  

And I do think it will prove quite revolutionary in at least one aspect physics- its been the buzzword in FPS's for a couple of years but HL2 proves its not enough to just license Havok and be done with it- the level design needs to be factored in too.  When you start scanning the environment for potential traps and weapons more than enemies HL2 has made the next step.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 18, 2004, 04:16:47 PM »

The first couple of hours are solid, with high production values, but nothing too crazy good.  And then you get the gravity gun and go into Ravenholm.  And oh boy, it gets neat.

For me, the best part was operating a crane.  Really.  I never thought of cargo containers as a weapon before, but whoa....
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 18, 2004, 04:25:15 PM »

The first couple of hours are solid, with high production values, but nothing too crazy good. And then you get the gravity gun and go into Ravenholm. And oh boy, it gets neat.

And the last couple of hours are as solid or more.  I just finished the game and it was AWESOME!  I didn't go into it expecting it to be revolutionary, I just wanted a good game.  It far surpassed my expectations all the way through.  I am going to go start it all over again now!

This is now my all time favorite game.  Mafia just got bumped to number 2 and Deus Ex just dropped to three.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: