http://gamingtrend.com
August 01, 2014, 04:20:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half-Life 2 Impressions (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 30963 times)
PaulBot
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2004, 01:35:34 PM »

Unlocking.... at 79% (5:36am in Oregon)

BANGING ON MONITOR TO SPEED IT UP!!!!  :x

(woohoo page 5 already)

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2004, 01:52:18 PM »

70%.....

So sad that they weren't smart enough to poll every hour or so.  

Need to go to work in 10 minutes.....

Wife doesn't have to go to work, but has no interest in playing game.

The world is not a just place.

Edit:  Has anyone looked at their network utilization graphs this morning?  8.5 Gb!  Out of something like 14 available.  That's an insane amount of bandwith.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 16, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »

Goddammit all...

I tried to install it this morning and when I was on the fourth disc I got an error that said it was missing a .cab file and crashed the installation. As I needed to run out the door I couldn't write it down, otherwise I'd post it here. Good God am I pissed about this, most especially because I didn't have time to troubleshoot it this morning. But has anyone else's install from CDs crashed out due to a missing .cab file?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 16, 2004, 01:58:29 PM »

whiteboyskim,

Steam could have been your friend smile

Seriously though, you may need to replace the CDs with a swap at the store.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 16, 2004, 02:29:33 PM »

I hate that I have to work today.  I guess I'll unlock it during my lunch break and play tonight when I get home from work.

Talk about positive impressions.  You guys make it even harder to work today...
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 16, 2004, 02:32:57 PM »

Gotta go to work, but have played for about an hour.

WOW WOW WOW WOW!!!!

Why am I going to work today???? Sigh....

Good to see ya, Barney 'ol pal. See ya later tonight or tomorrow...

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 16, 2004, 02:35:23 PM »

They say if you are gavingsound problems like stutteringandstuff to turn your graphics down from high to medium detail. lol

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
DArtagnan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 16, 2004, 02:35:28 PM »

Come now... Five pages and not a single cynical opinion?

There must be one of you who isn't overly enthusiastic about this game. I'm getting that bad feeling I had when Black and White was released. Too good to be true-thingy. Everyone was spellbound until reality came knocking.

Let's make a preemptive strike against disappointment.

NO I'm not jaded!
Falator
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 16, 2004, 02:50:33 PM »

This game sucks! I can't even tip strippers in it (much less kill them after tipping them), There are none of those flashy action one liners that you love so much and Gordon has no style compared to Duke!

Happy DArtagnan? Tongue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2004, 02:58:10 PM »

Quote from: "DArtagnan"
Come now... Five pages and not a single cynical opinion?

Ummm.... there are things that you can't pick up.  But most everything you can.

There are crates.

That's it.  Absolutofreakamentally great game otherwise.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 16, 2004, 03:01:39 PM »

biggrin
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 16, 2004, 03:02:01 PM »

Yeah, but at least you can break a crate if you jump off a ledge onto it :-)

Or play with them!

OK, I'll bite.

Aside from appearing like it is the best single player game ever made.....the load times can be a little long. Perfectly understandable given the game and how well it will age in the coming years.
Louis Cypher

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 16, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »

Wow, simply Wow......

Live Gamer Tag: Kitten0Death
PSN: CabriX
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 16, 2004, 03:11:05 PM »

*YAWWNNN*

*stretch*

*rubs eyes*

:shock:

It is SO ON for today!

biggrin sooo glad to hear the happy feedback so far. Some of you guys are seriously hard core too, staying up all night playing. Kudos.
\/\/olverine
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 16, 2004, 03:33:51 PM »

This impressions thread sucks, 5 pages and only 2-3 real impressions? Does anyone really care to know how far others have uploaded the game? Just the impressions, please!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 16, 2004, 03:45:02 PM »

Quote from: "\/\/olverine"
This impressions thread sucks, 5 pages and only 2-3 real impressions? Does anyone really care to know how far others have uploaded the game? Just the impressions, please!

:roll:

In case you didn't realize it, those guys stayed up all night, and they were trying to stay awake and keep each other company.  It took me 5 minutes to read the pages of this thread.

Try skimming, it works for me.
AttAdude
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 16, 2004, 03:49:42 PM »

Ok i was wrong.  I said HL2 would be a huge let down and there was no way it could live up to the hype.  I said HL was mostly vaporware, and that 90% of the nifty stuff would have to be cut, becuase it was just not feesible.  I was wrong.  

after 2 hours of play, i can staftly say this is the best shooter ever.  Ive never seen such technical brilliance shoved into a game.  The character dialoge and animation is worth the price of admission alone.  Remember when you saw Final Fantasy spirits with in, and you thought man i wish my computer coudl do that.  Well it can, its called HL2.  Ive never seen such realistic behaviour from an NPC before,  and i hope this is the new standard.  

Environment, WOW.  its amazing to be able to do things you would normaly be able to do in real life.  Case in point i had no cover with a viable field of view, so i used some boxes and crates to make my self some cover with a better vantage point.  Ive picked up a barrel and used it to soak bullets as i ran acoross a allyway filled with a hail of bullets.  Ive used Center blocks as the weight i needed to make a seesaw flip the other way so i could get up a higher level.

Fact is im nothing short of amazed, and im glad i was wrong about all that hype.  this might be the first time ever the hype was right.

AttA
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 16, 2004, 03:51:47 PM »

Woke up around 3, restarted steam for teh unlock, then went back to bed.  Played for about an hour this morning, and so far it's awesome.  I also got Halo 2 yesterday, but I have a feeling that's going to be on the backburner until I finish Half-Life 2.  I was surprised at how well it ran - I started off at 1024x768, 2xAA, 8xAni and expected it to bring my computer to it's knees, but it's pretty fluid.  Making the supporting characters have a larger role this time around was a great call by Valve - they are probably the most believable characters in any game to date, and really do add to the experience.

Oh, and I dig the upgraded Barnacles smile
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 16, 2004, 04:00:35 PM »

My preload seems to have frozen at 35%.  What the hell do I do now? :?
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 16, 2004, 04:02:11 PM »

Wolverine, I'll try to provide more for you:

Half Life 2 Impressions:

Installation:
Having purchased the game via Steam about a month ago, I had already installed the game. Steam, as usual, was painless for me and I didn't have any problems with it. Other people might. I knew the game was going to be unlocked at 2:00am in my time zone but I didn't plan on staying up for it. However, I woke up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and ended up swinging by my computer to connect with Steam. I was greeted with an "Unlocking files.." dialog. I smiled and went back to bed.
This morning, I woke up 45 minutes early and scooted back to my computer to get a look at the game.

Main Screen:
After the Valve "wierd thing stuck in guy's head" logo, the main screen appear. Unlike many games, it actually uses the Source engine as a background. Behind the menu options you can see a town square with people moving, wind blowing, ect. It looks nice. There aren't many options and Valve defaulted the game to 4xAA and 8XAnt in the graphic options for my card (Radeon x800). The Source engine is all about visual quality and realism, not cartoonish and vivid "over the top" effects like Doom 3. Both do their things well.

Graphics:
One thing I've found with the Source engine is that the screenshots don't capture the quality of the visuals. Because many of the reflection and bump mapping effects are realistic and subtle, the game really needs to be seen to appreciate fully. The people, without question, are utterly impressive. The first thing you see in the game is an in-game character with their face/eyes taking up more than the whole screen....and it look somewhat convincing. Let me restate that, an in-game model with textures is zoomed in enough for the eye to take up about 1/4 of the screen looks good enough to start the game with. While it doesn't pass for human, it does pass for creepily-close to human.  The people look incredible in this game and all of the hype is justified.
The textures are impressive and the entire world feels incredibly real. Dirty, really. Trash blows around, walls have various posters, aged sheets, and imperfect bricks, paint, ect.
The first building you walk out of to see the town before you is magical.  The game looks and feels better than anything I've ever seen. Even FarCry feels cartoonish compared to this. As film experts often note, lighting is everything and Half Life 2 does it perfectly....and I don't mean shadows and dark areas....the color, direction, and tone of the lighting is impressive.

Here are some screenshots that someone is hosting that shows the first 5 minutes. No real spoilers here but the bottom 5-6 pictures could be skipped if you are especially sensitive. They speak for themselves...

http://home.online.no/~henryw/Diverse/[email protected]/

Impressions from the first 15 minutes:
This will be spoiler-free, which is a little hard to do...but the pacing and entry into the world is wonderfully done. The game is trying to give you a serious "Big Brother is watching" complex and it does so very well.  
As events unfold, the designers have cleverly anticipated the things you might do and placed side events to support the ongoing action. At one point, for example, you can peek through a small window in a door and what unfolds continues to support what is going on.  At another point, I walked into an area where some people were in line. I was immersed enough that I went and got in line, and waited until my turn without thinking. I have no idea what I was in line for...but I felt intimidated pretty  quick because of the atmosphere.

The controls are nice and the physics engine rocks. There is a swingset at a playground area and pushing one of the swings causes it to swing back and forth convincingly and it even twists and yaws from side to side when it bumps the other swing. Cool stuff.

I don't want to give you any more information about the first part of the game, but it us masterfully done and as good as any movie I've seen, except it felt different to be in it.

I'm looking forward to playing it.  The Source engine is special...and I'm excited to see what people do with it after seeing this.
ravenvii

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2004, 04:19:02 PM »

One question... subtitles?
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 16, 2004, 04:20:13 PM »

Subtitles can be turned on of off. They are off by default.

The game (like CS:Source) supports widescreen displays as well.
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 16, 2004, 04:22:48 PM »

Put in about 15 "I gotta look around" minutes before going to bed. Every bit as impressed as I was hoping to be. Can't wait to get home from work tonight and I have tomorrow off  biggrin  biggrin  biggrin

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 16, 2004, 04:28:26 PM »

I think I'm going to be sick...
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 16, 2004, 04:34:03 PM »

Eco,

Let us know what you think after looking at it briefly.

As over-hyped as it was, I wasn't disappointed and I'm wondering if you will be after our gushing.

And ESPN football is awesome. Love your sig.
Ragnarok

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 16, 2004, 04:36:09 PM »

I just called in sick.  Now, in about 240 minutes(as its updating) I'm hoping to be able to play. smile
warning

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 16, 2004, 04:48:33 PM »

I love the feeling of opression in the first 15 minutes.  It feels like I've awakened in some Eastern Block Communist country.  I especially enjoyed the speech given by the talking head about instinct and reproduction.  Very creepy stuff.
stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 16, 2004, 05:25:45 PM »

Um, is it a good sign that when I go to steam's forum there is a message
saying the forum couldnt stand all the excitment and is "taking a breather"? How the hell smoothly can the downloads be going if the freaking forums are getting overloaded?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 16, 2004, 05:26:19 PM »

Quote from: "Raintitan"
Eco,

Let us know what you think after looking at it briefly.

As over-hyped as it was, I wasn't disappointed and I'm wondering if you will be after our gushing.

And ESPN football is awesome. Love your sig.

Thanks, the sig is 100% accurate smile  

I didn't actually mean I was going to be sick due to all the gushing, I meant that I wish I could say I was sick so I could get off and play it myself instead of reading about you all playing it smile
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 16, 2004, 05:28:47 PM »

stimpy,

The authorization and unlock didn't appeat to download much at all...it pretty much just started.

For those that have decided to buy it and download it today (via Steam)..I don't have too much sympathy for them. Valve has allowed people to download it for the last month and they do have the retail option at no additional cost.

At this moment, it does look like they still have bandwidth available for their content...
http://www.steampowered.com/status/status.html
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 16, 2004, 05:29:42 PM »

Quote from: "stimpy"
Um, is it a good sign that when I go to steam's forum there is a message
saying the forum couldnt stand all the excitment and is "taking a breather"? How the hell smoothly can the downloads be going if the freaking forums are getting overloaded?

Forums are on an entirely different server. The download at midnight was a little slow (15 minutes all told) since there were about  a zillion people downloading it but it went very smoothly.

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2004, 05:31:46 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
lildrgn, what are your system specs?

I'm trying to get a consensus on what one needs to enjoy a mostly high framerate on this game.

Athlon XP 2800+
512mb ram
Geforce MX5700 (I think)

And it runs like a CHIZAMP. I'm so proud of my little guy! 1280x1024 and not a hitch.

Edit to add: all my Advanced settings are on default. Medium everything, pretty much. Still looks great. Tried bumping some stuff up and got the stuttering others are getting. I'm happy with where it's at for now.

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 16, 2004, 05:42:20 PM »

Well first of all I have already downloaded and unlocked HL2, as I was one of those who stayed up to do so.
Secondly, I understand that the forums are on a different server. My point was, I dont think the forums would be "taking a breather" if the place was getting bombarded with positive comments. I am just assuming there are alot of people having problems and for Valve to take down the forums is not an appropriate thing to do so soon. Think if you were having a problem. Would you appreciate that? And FWIW, I so far have seen no glaring problems. The occasional graphics glitch, but nothing major. I havent gotten far enough to give my full impression yet, but so far am impressed. I went to the forum to see if there were any tweaks I could do to get it to run a little smoother.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 16, 2004, 05:44:32 PM »

Quote from: "lildrgn"
Quote from: "Thin_J"
lildrgn, what are your system specs?

I'm trying to get a consensus on what one needs to enjoy a mostly high framerate on this game.

Athlon XP 2800+
512mb ram
Geforce MX5700 (I think)

And it runs like a CHIZAMP. I'm so proud of my little guy! 1280x1024 and not a hitch.

That's awesome. Gives me a good feeling about how well my rig will run it.

P4 2.8 ghz
1 GB Corsair PC3200
Radeon 9800

That's right., I haven't actually fired it up yet, for a couple of reasons. 1, a friend of mine is coming over shortly, and I'll let us both see the opening at the same time, and 2) they are demolishing the house next door (one that had it's roof ripped off by one of the hurricanes), and its' NOISY AS ALL HELL   :x

Most likely, I'll be diving in head first tonight, for many hours of gaming bliss. Reading all this positive feedback is exciting though!
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 16, 2004, 05:46:14 PM »

Quote from: "stimpy"
Well first of all I have already downloaded and unlocked HL2, as I was one of those who stayed up to do so.
Secondly, I understand that the forums are on a different server. My point was, I dont think the forums would be "taking a breather" if the place was getting bombarded with positive comments. I am just assuming there are alot of people having problems and for Valve to take down the forums is not an appropriate thing to do so soon. Think if you were having a problem. Would you appreciate that?

Ok, wasn't clear to me from your original message. They actually took the forums down yesterday afternoon and their support section is still up and running. Yes, a live forum would be nice for anyone having problems-hopefully that'll be up and going soon. Haven't needed it yet *crosses fingers*

stimpy

I'm makin a move!!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 16, 2004, 06:00:07 PM »

Hey Gryndyl,
They must have heard us biggrin
Forums appear to be back up.
I am happy. I have a sick fascination with reading about problems people are having and what is being done to help them. It helps me to form an opinion on companies and the games they make and support.
Oh and I hope you wont need the forums either.

O.K. I am an idiot :oops:
It appears that when the forums reach a certain amount of users or hits,
it shuts down till bandwidth clears, or something like that. So i guess occasionly it will appear to be down. My bad.
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 16, 2004, 06:29:22 PM »

BAcking up <Gollum voice>My Precioussssssssss</Gollum voice> to DVD now. How cool is that????

I <3 Valve!

Sadly, though, this means I can't play for 40 minutes or so....

Backup can wait! :twisted:

Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 16, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »

For those of us at work, all of you home playing right now need to take a break every half hour to come to this thread and gush some more to sustain us in our time of deprivation.

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 16, 2004, 06:37:51 PM »

I am loving it so far.  It doesn't hurt that I came away with TWO T-Shirts when I picked up my game from EB this morning.  I guess I got one for pre-ordering it (A nifty white one) and then the second came in the collectors edition box.

I got stumped for a bit during chapter 3 in the Canals but after 30-45 minutes I made it through.  Off to have some more fun!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: November 16, 2004, 06:44:57 PM »

I've wasted a lot of time just wandering around like a stupid tourist  :lol:  The graphics are awesome and there are so many things to interact with and I'm trying all of them (you never know what'll do something really interesting).

I can't stand the fact that I'm stuck at work until 7:30pm and then CBS had the GALL to put the 2 hour premiere of Amazing Race on tonight.

I've been awake since 5am, but if I can keep my eyes open after Amazing Race, I'm gonna play some more!!

MUST PLAY!!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: