http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 03:09:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half-Life 2 Impressions (Possible Spoilers)  (Read 31246 times)
Caine
Gaming Trend Senior Member

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: November 16, 2004, 08:14:50 AM »

damn, stuck at 63%  come on, hurry up

hey, which one of us will be the first one to crack and actually post impressions?  everyone will be busy playing the game

lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2004, 08:15:27 AM »

Enjoy!

Peace out!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2004, 08:15:38 AM »

I am done. Booting up the game now.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2004, 08:16:12 AM »

I to have jumped from 82 to 99. I shall return with actual impressions before I lapse into a coma in a few hours.

Ascendent
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2004, 08:16:21 AM »

that screenshot shows half life source as available. is it true?! sweet!

mines at 82% too. i think it will jump to 99% as well. goodnight all! smile
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2004, 08:19:05 AM »

82->99!

Back to mining in EQ2!

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2004, 08:19:30 AM »

ok i cant get the dl to start, anyone else?

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2004, 08:20:12 AM »

Quote from: "Xmann"
ok i cant get the dl to start, anyone else?
try shutting down Steam and restarting...did the trick for me, and my d/l just finished!

i'm going in...have fun guys!

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
TheOneWhoStoodUp
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2004, 08:21:38 AM »

Herius Julius stood in the city square of Cyrene, looking at the piles of corpses around him.  It had been a fierce battle, taking back this city from the Egyptians in the name of Rome... but it had been a glorious one.  Both armies about 1,800 strong, it must have been a battle to behold from afar.
   As he took off his helmet, he looked to the sky.
"Shit!  I wasted more than enough time!  Half Life 2 is open for unlocking!!"

I promptly shut down R:TW and restarted Steam.  46%.
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2004, 08:22:09 AM »

damn, it does take a while to go from 82-99.  and then done.  all done.  see you later

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2004, 08:23:40 AM »

Ok, the game sure looks pretty, but that is just my impression from the menu while I set up my options  :twisted: Now to bed, and not to play until 7pm at the earliest tomorrow!!   :evil:

Enjoy all, and remember, keep this thread spoiler free.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2004, 08:25:03 AM »

wohoo, i'm almost there now, thanks disarm

lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2004, 08:27:45 AM »

Here's my 5 minute spoiler free impression:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Scoop20906

You can't ignore me!!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2004, 08:28:45 AM »

I can't believe this. I'm unlocked and Half-Life 2 won't run. The damn program isn't verifying the CD. It just starts and them shuts itself down without an options screen or anything!!!

For cripes sakes, what was the point of unlocking it if it has to check for the CD? I had the same problem with Tron 2.0 and eventually had to download a cracked EXE.

Am I screwed? Anyone else having this problem?

The Gone Gold Effect has a strong influence on the weak minded ...
GamerTag: Scoop20906
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2004, 08:28:57 AM »

Woohoo! Pulling down 1.6Mbps for a little bit. Only at 67% though. Booo  frown

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2004, 08:35:27 AM »

Heh, my wife just woke me up to hold our newborn for a bit while she took care of something...so of course I went straight to the computer room and started my unlocking....

No playing for me until morning (I'm going back to bed now), but at least I unlocked it! smile

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
warning

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2004, 08:38:46 AM »

I just woke up, restarted that bad boy and am currently at 38%.  Gah!
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2004, 08:47:20 AM »

i'm off to bed. i'll say this... WOW!!! that was just like how i felt about the first time playing part 1, and this one has the best graphics i have ever seen.
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2004, 09:17:25 AM »

ok, played for an hour.  

the facial expressions and lip syncing is nothing short of awesome.  you want to talk to every npc just to see what they have to say and how they feel about saying it.  

load times are frequent and long.  im running a AMD64 3400+ with a gig of ram and a 6800GT and my load times were about 15-30 seconds each, and after each load, it would still take another 5 seconds for me to be able to move.  

**very minor spoiler**

small arms combat..pistols so far...is good fun.  pretty cool to shoot down guys with headshots and watch them tumble.. my favorite part so far was 4 of them shooting at me from a bridge...i shot an explosive barrell under them and the entire bridge collapsed and they came tumbling down with it.

fun game so far. can't wait to see what's to come.

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2004, 09:20:15 AM »

Ditto what jessie said.

Didn't see the bridge (no spoilers please!), but had much fun kicking arse.

Atmosphere is amazing, eh?

I have the morning off. Do I play more or hit the hay???

Off to play I go!

disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2004, 09:21:39 AM »

Quote from: "Scoop20906"
For cripes sakes, what was the point of unlocking it if it has to check for the CD?
my thoughts exactly...i was a little surprised when the message to insert my CD came up.  unfortunately, given the nature of Steam and updates, i'm guessing that keeping a working no-CD crack may prove to be a real pain.  the game does use Securom for the disc check though, so it should be possible...

as for the game, i've played up to the point where getting shot matters and i'm pretty impressed so far.  the graphics and animations are very impressive, and i had a good time trying out the physics on a playground...pretty neat stuff.  it's 4:25am right now though...will have to pick it up again tomorrow...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
jessie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2004, 09:22:22 AM »

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com/images/gordonsuit.jpg

http://www.grandtheftblogger.com

XBOX Live! Gamer Tag: jessthelaw
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2004, 09:25:32 AM »

City 17 sure looked good!
HL2 is really pretty! I am loving it.

Alyx (spell) is amazing especially when she winked at me. Ahhh.. bliss.

I am "installing" Half Life Source now! W00T!
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 16, 2004, 09:25:37 AM »

Just played up to the point where you get your old trusty, rusty metal friend and enter the canals through the trainyard.

PHENOMENAL.

My mouth was hanging open the whole time in absolute giddy awe. From massive towers stretching into the clouds to tiny details like the magnifying glass on the desk. Flocks of birds flying in the distance, wavy forcefields, paint chipping off the walls, droids following you around snapping photos, the presentation is off the charts.

The characters are appealing and the early plot is actually funny! That cat gag had me really laughing, as did the stuff with Lamar. (Genius name that.) I can definitely see growing to care about these characters as the story unfolds. I like them already. Heck one of them is Benson!

The "cataclysm" isn't nearly as cataclysmic as the first game but it works nicely as homage.

I love the way the Combine soldiers are so instantly loathsome with all that pushing and prodding they do. That soda can moment ("pick that up") is a brilliant piece of emotional setup along with invisible tutorial.

My only complaint is load times. Loooong. The whole seamless effect is lessened considerably when you stare at that word LOADING for half a minute.

I hate to tear myself away but I'll have lots of time to get into it tomorrow night. I'm gonna go hit the sack, content in the knowledge that Half-life 2 is anything but a disappointment.
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 16, 2004, 09:29:06 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"

That soda can moment ("pick that up") is a brilliant piece of emotional setup along with invisible tutorial.

I threw the can at him and he started chasing me! LOL moment! Brilliant!

Edit: WOW.. There is a variation to the main menu where you get to choose New Game, Load Game.. I am now looking at another menu! Totally different environment. The first one I saw was outside the train station in City 17 where there were patrolling guards. After quitting the game to post here and reloading it again, I am looking at a lake! This is really nice!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2004, 09:33:40 AM »

This is good.

Really good.

I'm zombified so back to bed for me.  I'll play more when I have the mental status to appreciate it more.

Final note: Alyx sure is a cutie.   :oops:
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2004, 09:42:01 AM »

anyone having sound issues?  I keep getting cracking, loss of audio, and stuttering, especially when I'm looking side to side.  I have turned off hardware acceleration and it still hasn't helped
belfong
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2004, 09:49:04 AM »

I don't have any sound issue. I am using the built in soundcard (in my motherboard). Are you using the latest driver?
Valael
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2004, 09:52:10 AM »

Well, I guess HL: Source really did get unlocked.

As for HL2, I'm too tired to say anything but "Awesome."

If I added a sig, would you read it?
lildrgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2004, 09:58:13 AM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"
Just played up to the point where you get your old trusty, rusty metal friend and enter the canals through the trainyard.

PHENOMENAL.

My mouth was hanging open the whole time in absolute giddy awe. From massive towers stretching into the clouds to tiny details like the magnifying glass on the desk. Flocks of birds flying in the distance, wavy forcefields, paint chipping off the walls, droids following you around snapping photos, the presentation is off the charts.

The characters are appealing and the early plot is actually funny! That cat gag had me really laughing, as did the stuff with Lamar. (Genius name that.) I can definitely see growing to care about these characters as the story unfolds. I like them already. Heck one of them is Benson!

The "cataclysm" isn't nearly as cataclysmic as the first game but it works nicely as homage.

I love the way the Combine soldiers are so instantly loathsome with all that pushing and prodding they do. That soda can moment ("pick that up") is a brilliant piece of emotional setup along with invisible tutorial.

My only complaint is load times. Loooong. The whole seamless effect is lessened considerably when you stare at that word LOADING for half a minute.

I hate to tear myself away but I'll have lots of time to get into it tomorrow night. I'm gonna go hit the sack, content in the knowledge that Half-life 2 is anything but a disappointment.

I kinda like the loading screens. Gives me a moment to catch my breath. smile

Absolutely amazing. Why can't all FPS games run this smoothly?

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2004, 10:29:43 AM »

Those guards sure were scary at the beginning...and damn, that was shocking when one of them pushed me, hahaha.  I was so surprised I said "yes sir" out loud lol lol.

Stellar, so far.  Just great!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2004, 10:31:44 AM »

lildrgn, what are your system specs?

I'm trying to get a consensus on what one needs to enjoy a mostly high framerate on this game.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2004, 10:35:26 AM »

i started another thread about performance in anticpation of many performance questions.  
i myself have been getting mediocre performance on a decent system.  gotta play with the settings i guess since everyone else is reporting great rates.

Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2004, 10:40:23 AM »

Amazing. Spectacular. Superb.

This game is beyond words. The moment it starts it just grabs you. Its like look your going for a ride now. Not sure when your going to stop but your going to enjoy yourself. Are you ready? Good lets go. And it never...ever slows down.

The  graphics are just out of this world. The facial expressions really draw you in. I could of sworn I was looking at actors in a real life film. The way the guards look how ominous. The way the water moves and reflects light to the whole atmasphere (mispelled) of the game itself. While you play you really forget yourself, at least I did. I was that immersed in the game.

Gameplay. Just fun. I mean that I wish I could say anything else about it but I will just be to the point. The most fun I've had playing any game of any system in a very, very, very long time. I had to force myself to stop because I'm so tired, but if I had been resting I can tell you I'd still be playing.

The sound is just great. You hear the footsteps of the guards, the sirens, the horrible buzzing sounds of...well I won't say you'll have to see for yourselves.

Controls are great. A bit sketchy when it comes to vehicles at least thats my impression had more difficulty with that then anything else. Aside from that the rest of the game handles like a dream.

In closing I'm just going to say this surpasses Half Life. In every concievable (mispelled) way. Graphically, Gameplay, Sound, Story, just everything.

Ok I'm going to go lapse into a restfull coma now. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did/will.

Ascendent
GungHo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2004, 11:24:44 AM »

Hehe...Whoa...

THat about sums it up for me.

Going back in.  Wish me luck!

EDIT: and yes the loading times are quite long.  Only complaint Ive had so far(well and I had to turn down a setting or 2 from High to Medium, even though it 'recommended' High for my system..but oh well, still looks fantastic).

I had one...
dangerballs

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2004, 11:56:49 AM »

Playing this game is like having one continous orgasm only without the mess.

What's Cooking at Hacienda de Bolas del Peligro?

PC: Tomb Raider | Xbox360: GTA V | PS3: Infamous 2, Ni No Kuni
warning

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2004, 11:58:38 AM »

Oh and hey CryTek?  Notice the Quicksave?  Notice how it is in the shipped game?  Notice how the game is still good?  Even amazing?  Notice how I don't have to use some obscure console command to quicksave?  Notice how I don't have to wait for the patch to provide quicksaving?  The patch that never, ever did provide quicksaving?

Bite me FarCry.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2004, 12:30:35 PM »

Was just about to go to bed...but played awhile longer.  I am constantly impressed by this beautiful game.

TheMissingLink on PSN
BigRedCat
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2004, 12:53:30 PM »

I woke up at 5(went to bed at nine) and was unlocked in ten minutes. 3 hours later I can say that the wait was worth it. Man is this game ever good. The level of cinema and detail is amazing. Gamespot complained of a sense of deja vu. But what would HL2 be without the constant sense of danger, the sense that you are always getting into situations that are over your head at exactly the wrong time? Who cares if the game is on rails? This is what makes the game brilliant to me.
Raintitan
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2004, 01:21:38 PM »

:shock:

That sums it up for me. I've been playing Counterstrike:Source and even that game doesn't prepare you for the Source engine. I mean....W O W.

I really like the more realistic and subtle ways the world is rendered.

The people have to be seen to believed.

And, the first 15 minutes....INCREDIBLE. After that...? Don' t know...had to go to work.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: