http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 09:44:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Life 2 gold? You bet! (Nov. 16th release)  (Read 4511 times)
Jeff
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2004, 03:31:50 AM »

Gamespot is reporting they have an inside source who has said that HL2 is, in fact, gold.... finished... ready for press... etc.

Rumor Control

RUMOR #1: Half-Life 2 is gold. Really. No foolin'. Honest.

What we heard: Ever since the release candidate for Half-Life 2 was submitted to VU Games in mid-September, a piñata has hung in the lobby of Valve's headquarters. The plan: to bust the sucker open when the game achieved gold status. Earlier today, GameSpot learned from a locally based source that "the piñata has been broken" and the game has gone gold. Further evidence of the game's completion was a press release issued this afternoon touting the first review of "the entire game." Though nothing official has been announced yet, it appears the fat lady is at last clearing her throat.

Bogus or not bogus?: Not bogus.  :shock:
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 03:45:48 AM »

At this point, I don't really give a damn until I have the box in hand.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 04:52:46 AM »

Im pretty sure its gold. Someone else who has an inside source in the game said on Friday that it was (or had gone gold). Sounds like a late october, early november release.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2004, 04:46:59 PM »

Here's to hoping there'll be an earlier release on Steam.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2004, 04:57:04 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Here's to hoping there'll be an earlier release on Steam.

I'm hoping so too, but I doubt it. Hasn't VU ruled that out? Anyway, at least we know we'll get it on day one.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2004, 10:29:05 PM »

Pretty sure they've said contractually they can't release on STEAM untill the retail version hits shelves.
Ranulf
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2004, 10:58:49 PM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

I concur.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 02:02:56 AM »

One thought just occured to me.  Patches.  If Valve is feeling all pissed at VU will they be as quick to release patches for the store bought copy as they do for thier Steam version?  

Really it is an extra layer of work for them.  They can just push patches out through Steam but they will have to create installers, etc. for those peopel who buy a store version and are unwilling to let Steam do updating.  

Part of me says "of course they won't screw the customers that way" but I remember very clearly Derek Smart's issues with his game and how he refused to put out patches because he felt the publisher had put out a flawed game.  I doubt things have come to that point with Valve and VU but the precident is there for that type of fighting.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 02:17:54 AM »

Isn't the component for Steam set to be installed by the store-bought copy regardless?

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Freezer-TPF-

First in war and peace, second in the NL East.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 02:33:46 AM »

Heh, "the piñata has been broken" sounds like some sort of code phrase, like "the eagle has left the nest" or "the blue dog howls at midnight."

"The piñata has been broken! I repeat, the piñata has been broken!  Alpha team, go!"

Signature on file at the county clerk's office.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 02:34:43 AM »

IF that's so, whiteboyskim, I'm going ballistic on someone.  Most likely Gabe.

I will specifically buy the store copy because
1) I'm not a 15y.o. who wants to play counterstrike.
2) I LIKE NO COMPANY ENOUGH TO PUT THEIR SPYWARE ON MY COMPUTER!!!!!!

Good God, now I have to go check this out, because if that's so, as much as I want to buy this, I won't.  I refused stardock's attempt at strong-arming me to 'join the community', and I sure as hell don't want to see Valve try the same thing.  You got my money, you don't need my friendship/input et cetera.   Leave me the F alone, and go count my money.

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:06:15 AM »

Quote from: "EngineNo9"

Well, I don't have a box in hand, but I do have the full game on my HD now, or so says Steam.  It kinda sucks knowing HL2 is sitting here on my HD right now, waiting for "release day", and I can't play it crybaby

It's close, and as Gamespot says, the fat lady is clearing her throat. It's time to start getting a little excited, if you're one to get excited about such things.

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 03:11:39 AM »

Quote from: "Big Jake"

Good God, now I have to go check this out, because if that's so, as much as I want to buy this, I won't.  I refused stardock's attempt at strong-arming me to 'join the community', and I sure as hell don't want to see Valve try the same thing.  You got my money, you don't need my friendship/input et cetera.   Leave me the F alone, and go count my money.

Agreed, it blows utterly... but even that will not deter me from this game.  Valve made The Second Best Videogame I Ever Played and that buys them a lotta leeway in my book.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 04:46:18 AM »

You know, I used to agree with the Steam arguements. Honestly though, I'm starting to like the whole thing. I would surely be hesitant to call it spyware.

To each his own I suppose.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
angrycoder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:52:44 AM »

Good God, now I have to go check this out, because if that's so, as much as I want to buy this, I won't.  I refused stardock's attempt at strong-arming me to 'join the community', and I sure as hell don't want to see Valve try the same thing.  

What is it about Steam or stardock/dregin.net/totalgaming.net that makes you think they have anything to do with spyware?

In the simplest sense, they are just tools that help you download patches. Or, if you so choose, they are tools that let you buy games and add ons without leaving your house or connecting to an external website.
bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 09:56:21 AM »

What annoys me is the idea that "if I so choose" I CANNOT play the single player game without registering the thing (assuming this is true, still don't have a definite confirmation on that).

I mean suppose you fast forward 10 years and you build a retro box with an ancient P4 processor and a paltry gig of ram, and want to dust off your old Half Life 2 CD.  Whoops!  Won't work without Steam registration.  But as we all know Valve folded in the Great Crash of 2011, and there is no such thing as Steam.  Tough shit, you can't play Half Life 2 again unless you hunt around for arcane workarounds on the internet.

I just think it's a crappy precedent for single player games, if true.  You shell out for the CD, you play the game -- should be as simple as that.
DireAussie
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2004, 12:04:37 PM »

I logged on to steam today and it started updating HL2, several hundred meg worth I think.  So something is happening!
weeskwee
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2004, 02:12:38 PM »

:roll: have another cup of paranoia. i hope it's true just to enjoy your freaking out about it. hehe. sorry, but steam isn't spyware and the old steam complaints are all very tired.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2004, 02:55:47 PM »

I was pretty hesitant about Steam myself, especially with all those bugs they had early on, but honestly I'm pretty impressed by it.  It's a slickway of distributing mods and putting out updates. [shrug] Spyware or no, it's pretty impressive.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 03:54:08 PM »

Quote from: "bluefugue"
What annoys me is the idea that "if I so choose" I CANNOT play the single player game without registering the thing (assuming this is true, still don't have a definite confirmation on that).

I mean suppose you fast forward 10 years and you build a retro box with an ancient P4 processor and a paltry gig of ram, and want to dust off your old Half Life 2 CD.  Whoops!  Won't work without Steam registration.  But as we all know Valve folded in the Great Crash of 2011, and there is no such thing as Steam.  Tough shit, you can't play Half Life 2 again unless you hunt around for arcane workarounds on the internet.

I just think it's a crappy precedent for single player games, if true.  You shell out for the CD, you play the game -- should be as simple as that.

I'd be very surprised if somewhere down the line (after they've milked HL2 for all they can) Valve doesn't release a patch that eliminates the need to connect to Steam.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 03:56:56 PM »

I'd like to know the definition of spyware, because there's no way in hell I could believe that Brad Wardell, one of the nicest guys on the internet, would ever "strong-arm" anyone, or install spyware onto your PC (with Stardock)

What he did do, is create a pretty amazing system to distribute software that bypasses the need for a print publisher. He may even be leading the way for future PC software distribution, as developers look for ways to maximize on their efforts, and stop getting the short end of the stick when dealing with publishers.

I'm sure if anyone had questions as to the validity of Stardock's methods, Brad would be happy to answer them. He posts over at QT3 fairly regularly.
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 05:58:34 PM »

Jeff, Brad maybe cool, but Sierra and Valve I trust about as much Snake Oil salesmen.  

The fact is, if I give you my money for software code, you dont automatically get me as a 'member of your community'  F%$^ Off!!!  I play single player only because I am a VERY stout believer in "Hell is other people".  (If you wonder why, read this thread for every person who posted, "You don't think what I think, so you're a poopiehead" *cough* weeskwee *cough* )

Bluefugue stated this correctly: what is getting me so mad is that if I choose not to have Steam, I choose to not have Steam.  PERIOD!  The attempt to force it on me is computer rape.  My computer, my choice.  (I apologize to anyone who is really offended by me adopting slogans from a truly important issue, it's just that they fit so well here.)

Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 06:00:06 PM »

Oh, and us Paranoid freaks are the ones who will keep Big Brother from happening.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 06:08:33 PM »

I'll be getting the PR up soon, but it is official...HALF-LIFE 2 HAS GONE GOLD!  Be on retail shelves November 16th.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 06:11:03 PM »

You mean I have to stare at this 5GB folder on my hard drive for another month? Man.. they REALLY need to let Steam users play the game beforehand. Give us SOMETHING for passing on the box, manual, and CD. Geez.

bluefugue
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 06:13:53 PM »

Quote from: "Laner"
Quote from: "bluefugue"

I'd be very surprised if somewhere down the line (after they've milked HL2 for all they can) Valve doesn't release a patch that eliminates the need to connect to Steam.

I hope so.

As for the apparently legit news that Half Life 2 is gold and will come out in mid November:

What a nice birthday present that will be.  Maybe I'll even forget that I turned 30 a couple days before the game comes out...
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 06:20:43 PM »

As long as you don't manually log out of steam, all games always work fine in "offline" mode. There should be something in the steam FAQ about that.

Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 06:21:26 PM »

Quote from: "Thin_J"
You mean I have to stare at this 5GB folder on my hard drive for another month? Man.. they REALLY need to let Steam users play the game beforehand. Give us SOMETHING for passing on the box, manual, and CD. Geez.

No doubt. I'm actually kind of bummed. I mean I'm glad it's official & all, but I was really hoping for November 1st, like EB and Gamestop have been reporting of late.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 06:21:45 PM »

alright, if I wasn't at work I'd be doing the happy undewear dance.....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2004, 06:28:07 PM »

kind of sucks waiting a month for a game i already have.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2004, 06:28:22 PM »

Big Jake, I was just asking the question there because I stayed away from Steam initially when all the complaints first surfaced (legitimate complaints at that) and just never got around to checking up on it. I figured it would have been worked on by the time HL2 went gold, and apparently it has been, yet there are still hacks available in CS: Source. So is Steam safe now and does anyone know if the version on store shelves will still install the main Steam components for future patching?

Also, I'm wondering whether Valve will have patches for CS: Source by the time HL2 hits. Curious, curious.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ioticus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2004, 07:01:04 PM »

I was hoping it would be out around the first of November  frown
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2004, 08:20:03 PM »

Bluefugue stated this correctly: what is getting me so mad is that if I choose not to have Steam, I choose to not have Steam.  PERIOD!  The attempt to force it on me is computer rape.  My computer, my choice.  (I apologize to anyone who is really offended by me adopting slogans from a truly important issue, it's just that they fit so well here.)

So I wonder what would happen if you just unplugged your internet connection... you couldn't play? if that's the case, that would indeed suck for those that bought the retail version.

These things have a tendency to be a lot scarier when in the rumor stage, so maybe things will be more clear, and a lot less 'big brotherish' on November 16.
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »

alright, if I wasn't at work I'd be doing the happy undewear dance.....

Since I am at home, I'll do the happy nake dance for you!  Just be thankful you don't have to watch! slywink

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 12:51:59 AM »

So will the standard version of HL2 contain Counter Strike Source or do you have to buy the collectors edition to get that?
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2004, 01:39:06 AM »

Quote from: "Andy22"
So will the standard version of HL2 contain Counter Strike Source or do you have to buy the collectors edition to get that?

According to Gamestop, the regular retail version comes with CS:S
Andy22
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2004, 09:48:01 PM »

Thanks Jeff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: