http://gamingtrend.com
October 21, 2014, 05:10:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Half Life 2 for Pc and Xbox  (Read 1612 times)
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2005, 12:24:22 AM »

Hello all. I'm new here, and would like to start off by asking a question for those who have Half-Life 2 on the computer.  I was originally planning to get it for the Xbox, but after seeing how downgraded the graphics were, it kinda turned me off.  After downloading the demo for the pc, I have discovered I can actually play it at low settings at a good FPS.  I was just wondering if I should wait for Half-Life 2 for xbox, and be guaranteed a stable version, with slightly better graphics than how I will be able to run it on the PC, or get the PC, have slightly worse graphics, and get all the great mods in production for it, not to mention the multiplayer and counterstrike source.  I was debating whether to put this in the PC or Console forum, but this was at the top so...
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005, 12:49:59 AM »

FPS's are always better on the PC in my opinion.  Always.
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005, 01:42:31 AM »

well, depends on whether or not you like playing FPS's on the PC or on a console.  For the life of me, I can't aim and move around using the dual analog sticks system on the console, so, I stay away from FPS's on the consoles.

but I think HL2 hasn't dropped in price, at least not that I've noticed, so maybe wait till the xbox version comes out and see what the reviews say

can you play mods made for the pc version on the xbox version I wonder?

was doom3 better or worse on the xbox?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005, 01:49:36 AM »

Quote from: "lex"
well, depends on whether or not you like playing FPS's on the PC or on a console.  For the life of me, I can't aim and move around using the dual analog sticks system on the console, so, I stay away from FPS's on the consoles.

but I think HL2 hasn't dropped in price, at least not that I've noticed, so maybe wait till the xbox version comes out and see what the reviews say

can you play mods made for the pc version on the xbox version I wonder?

was doom3 better or worse on the xbox?

I would imagine the PC version will look better, play better, and it does of course support mods, so go with that.

Welcome to the boards.
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005, 02:02:54 AM »

I'm not so much worried about graphics, since I can only run it on lowest settings.  The Xbox version will likely have better graphics than I will be able to run, but I find the demo tons of fun.  I will probably wait a while to see how the modd community is doing, and also, is the multiplayer for Half Life 2 (not CS: Source) any good?

edit:  Also, I think the great majority agree the computer is better for FPSs.  The only FPS on any console where I was really able to aim was Halo 2.  Very efficient controls.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2005, 03:51:59 AM »

Another factor consider is the keyboard + mouse combo.  Even if HL2 had Halo percision controls, I still can't see people doing half of the gravity gun tricks you can do on the PC.

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005, 07:54:47 AM »

One question: what are your computer specs Eno? I've got a very low-end computer myself, and always figured I couldn't run Half-Life2.

In regards to Doom, I played it on xbox, and it was great. Graphics are good, framerate is solid, the aiming was easy etc. Only downside is that changing weapons is a bit cumbersome. You could place your 4 favorite weapons on the 4 directions of the thumbpad, but all the others you have to cycle to. So basically shotgun, machinegun, plasmagun and chainsaw got used a lot, but none of the other weapons, for being too much hassle. (It's not like you have plenty of time to get the right weapon when a couple of monsters spawn in front of you).
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005, 11:59:49 AM »

I've got Doom for Xbox myslef.  Fairly good port, just the graphics have been degraded to a fair amount.  YOu really dont notice it all that much though if you dont compare screenshots.  Half-Life 2 on the other hand lol.

My specs are: Geforce 4 MX 440, 256mb Ram, 1.4 Ghz Pentium 4, and yeah thats all I can get from dxdiag.  I remember buying my video card, and then actually researching it on the itnernet afterwords...stupid me.
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 02:22:12 PM »

Quote from: "lex"

but I think HL2 hasn't dropped in price, at least not that I've noticed, so maybe wait till the xbox version comes out and see what the reviews

Amazon has the boxed version for $29.99; collector's edition for $34.95
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 02:58:06 PM »

Oh and for what it's worth, the HL2 engine is one of the most scalable engines I've ever seen.  I can run both HL2 and CS on my 1.5GHz laptop with my original GeForce2Go video card and it looks suprisingly good...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Eno
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2005, 02:43:52 AM »

collectors is 45 and the standard boxed is 40.  Yeah, I just discovered that I can scale the graphics up to a certain degree, and it still works well.  I think I'm gonna get the pc version sometime soon then.  Also, a few questions.  In CS: Source, are there many many people "bunny hopping" around?  I remember that being in pretty much every counter strike clone and the original counter strike.  God that was so annoying... and is the standard HL2 deathmatch fun?  Or is it just deathmatch with Half Life 2 weapons...(I've read mixed views on it).
The Rocketman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »

I've got an AMD 1.2 Ghz, 256 MB RAM and a Geforce4 Ti4400, so a very low-end system. Anyway, I figured I could never run Half-Life2, but due to this thread I downloaded the demo, and it went great! So I bought the game on an impulse, and I can't say I regret it. It really is a terribly great rollercoaster ride so far (I'm not far yet, I just got through some manhack fights). It slows down occasionally, and the sound stutters quite a bit, but overall, it works great biggrin

And that beginning scene, with Dr Breen reading a Concerned Citizen's letter... Wow :shock: Freaky stuff!
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 05:14:15 PM »

FYI, HL2 is $29.99 again at Amazon

Edit:  Buy.com has it for $26.99
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 06:36:33 PM »

Got some screenshots for HL2 for the Xbox.  not too shabby!

http://consolegold.com/screenshots/index.php?GameID=1069

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 07:51:40 PM »

Looking at those screenshots, I would pick the PC version just for the details on the scientists white woolen sweater.  I remember you could even make out two stains on her sweater.  The first time you meet her and then see her have a little spat with Alex, such great facial animation and voicework.  Just remembering what a great game HL2 was smile
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:36 PM »

Quote from: "skystride"
Looking at those screenshots, I would pick the PC version just for the details on the scientists white woolen sweater.  I remember you could even make out two stains on her sweater.  The first time you meet her and then see her have a little spat with Alex, such great facial animation and voicework.  Just remembering what a great game HL2 was smile

Its phenomenal-I keep booting it up and running around with the gravity gun for 10-15 minutes and then quitting when I remember that I am not supposed to replay it until I get my new monitor (come on Dell, give me a sale!!!)
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 08:41:44 PM »

Playing a FPS on a dual analog gamepad feels like I’m trying to aim, shoot and move using an Etcha Sketch.  It reminds of me of trying to play Centipede with a joystick and not a trackball.  Sure, you can do it, but it’s not ideal.  That being said, I do have some FPSs on the xbox, but HL2’s performance scales up so nicely with mid-range rigs that I went PC.  

Surprisingly, the best controller setup I’ve had for a FPS wasn’t a mouse and keyboard, it was a stick and trackball controller with programmable buttons and hat switches that I used when UT first came out. It was kind of weird at first, but man it was great once I got the hang of it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: