http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:10:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: H-Gate London Demo.....Can we talk?  (Read 10443 times)
Arclight
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2007, 01:07:26 PM »

Gotta kill "bag O bones". Seemed to be the end-of-demo boss. Nothing happened though, I can still move around within the game.

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2007, 01:27:34 PM »

That is pretty much it - after you smash Bag of Bones you are in the next station.  I'd suspect that'd be the end of the demo. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2007, 01:50:44 PM »

You should see some of the other bosses...especially the ones inside hellgates. woo.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 19, 2007, 01:27:34 PM

That is pretty much it - after you smash Bag of Bones you are in the next station.  I'd suspect that'd be the end of the demo. 

If that's true it'd be kind of nice if they told you that instead of letting you wander around trying to figure out if you missed something  disgust

I'm still on the fence about HG.  Not being in the beta and from demo impressions of the gun guy (for the life I me I cannot remember the class name right now) it felt like Doom meets Gears of War with unlimited ammo.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2007, 03:05:57 PM »

Thanks for the link KD!
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »

Quote from: Daehawk on October 19, 2007, 01:50:44 PM

You should see some of the other bosses...especially the ones inside hellgates. woo.

Yea, I personally would have let you guys run to the first hellrift and clip ya after the boss with a "Coming soon!" and then a picture of a hot chick  wearing only a towel.  Of course, that is also why I'm not in marketing...

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2007, 05:15:51 PM »

I tried out the demo and it was kind of impressive in the fact that it ran quite well on my computer, but even with textures and such set to high it didn't look all that great.  Very boxy and the random street corridors and such aren't all that appealing.  It's also a really drab, unappealing environmental aesthetic for the most part. 

I tried out the Blademaster guy and thought that in general it controlled pretty well for attacking, but I don't like how I come to a stop when only attacking once.  And with all of those one-hit loot-balloons you do that a lot. 

Overall I think if I didn't have a lot of other things to play I might pick this up for $40 or so, but I doubt I would ever pay a monthly subscription. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2007, 05:21:47 PM »

Quote from: Knightshade Dragon on October 19, 2007, 05:06:46 PM

Quote from: Daehawk on October 19, 2007, 01:50:44 PM

Yea, I personally would have let you guys run to the first hellrift and clip ya after the boss with a "Coming soon!" and then a picture of a hot chick  wearing only a towel.  Of course, that is also why I'm not in marketing...

How big a towel are we talking about here... slywink

"We do what we must because we can."
X-Box Live: TragicNut
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2007, 05:25:09 PM »

Why do we always think bad guys live in the semi-dark? Why always fires around? Why is everything always in rubble?
Why do we have a facination with things that died, yet still live? Why do I think Colbert would make a better President than Hillary Clinton?

These, and many other questions, are running through my way-too-idle-mind right now..

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2007, 05:31:54 PM »

I don't know what the consensus is here, but the guys at GAF at least are basically calling this a steaming pile of overrated crap-I thought it looked awful all along, but I don't really trust those gaffers-whats the consensus? Overrated? Good stuff?
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2007, 05:50:15 PM »

From the Hellgate: London Beta forums:

Beta NDA Lifted
The NDA period for the general Beta test is officially over! THANK YOU all for being as good as you have been on this. Feel free to post, email, phone call, and alert your local news station about your play experiences!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TheAtomicKid

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2007, 05:53:51 PM »

I'd say it'll end up being good, in much the same way DiabloII ended up being good. Random dungeons, the loot system, (and loot runs)...

aka, the continuing quest to build the bigger better character.

I thought the texturing was pretty good, myself. Not seeing any glaring mismatch of edges, etc. Camera passed through a wall once while in third person mode, that was about it.

Now admittedly, I find the whole gamma thing a tad annoying. If you set it like they want you to set it, it's annoyingly dark and hard to see. After setting mine at or about the 50% mark, I was much happier, though it does take away from the atmosphere a bit. But for that 'style' of game, the atmosphere is annoying after the first few minutes. (at least to me)

Atomic
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2007, 06:24:13 PM »

Quote from: Calvin on October 19, 2007, 05:31:54 PM

I don't know what the consensus is here, but the guys at GAF at least are basically calling this a steaming pile of overrated crap-I thought it looked awful all along, but I don't really trust those gaffers-whats the consensus? Overrated? Good stuff?

Hot damn!  NDA finally lifted!

I do think that the game is overrated going off of what most people seemed to think it would be. Me, I expected (and wanted) Diablo 3, only without the Diablo license and in 3d with 3rd-person/fps direct movement controls rather than click-to-move.

That's exactly what I'm getting. Play Diablo 2, then play Hellgate London, and you'll see what I mean. Don't just go off of memories of Diablo 2.

The game is fairly bland at first; everything dies fast, poses little threat, you have very little in the way of abilities, and items don't have much variety or interest to them. Diablo 2 was exactly like this in the initial character levels and areas of Act 1.

Just like Diablo 2, the game gets good as you level up, start diversifying your skills, find more interesting and varied equipment, face more varied and powerful enemies, and just generally start hitting the more varied randomization the game has available.

I love the controls. Love them! You can do just like in Diablo 2: either sit there and button-mash while chugging potions or use guerilla tactics and stick and move, be very active. When I started playing Diablo 2, I just ran in and clicked. After a long time I eventually learned to be much more active and use movement to my advantage. Same seems to work in Hellgate so far.

Performance in hubs (stations) is abysmal with all the players running around. I don't know if it's my pc/client, or if it's netcode. Probably the former. But it really sucks. Out in the rest of the game, performance is stellar and it looks great. Enemies have a fair bit of rubberbanding at times, which also has always been a problem for me on Battlenet with Diablo 2. I don't think this will be an issue in single player.

I love the item options; being able to break down gear for parts, and use those parts to "level up" items and keep them useful makes a world of difference. In Diablo 2, there were a lot of cool low-level items that either were quickly replaced by better ones (with less personality) or were rare enough that by the time one dropped, it was usually outdated. In Hellgate, I can take those items I really like, level them up, and make them appropriately powerful for my character level. That alone is a massive, massive change for me.

I really love what I've played, roughly 10 hours in the beta with several characters up to around level 7-9. The game is exactly what I wanted (slightly more, no less) with a few cool additions I hadn't thought of, and will entertain me for a very long time. I do think it's overhyped, being made out to be more than what it is, and that is setting false expectations for a lot of people.

My one big complaint is that the npc's are too satirical and goofy compared to the atmosphere that's been built up around the game. Having a couple of looney npc's who've gone mad due to the apocalypse would make sense. Having every station populated by raving lunatics, babbling idiots, and neurotic people is too silly to make me take the game seriously at all. It really breaks the immersion and atmosphere of the game for me.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2007, 06:30:26 PM »

Based on how the beta plays, how successful do you beta folks think they'll be at luring in Elite mode subscribers?
VynlSol

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2007, 06:37:11 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on October 19, 2007, 06:30:26 PM

Based on how the beta plays, how successful do you beta folks think they'll be at luring in Elite mode subscribers?

Yesterday I would have said not much success. If what Kaiser posted over at Hellgate today is on the up and up, I'd say they'll have a much better shot at drawing folks into it.

I'm hopefully optimistic about the future of the game. I believe that it's nowhere near
fulfilling it's potential yet, but that it has a great foundation upon which to build.

Like Farscry mentioned, it does get better the further into it you get.

Aside from allowing the UI to be customizable, my only other issue with the game is this:

An additional quest response option called, "Crotch Kick". So when the quest giver finishes their spiel,
you can either Accept, Decline, or Crotch Kick the quest giver. I'd spam Crotch Kick on that
crazy bitch Beasley all night.

Another thing, I had mentioned elsewhere that I was only interested in the SP aspect of the game.
The beta has changed my mind, and Kaiser's announcement today sealed the deal. I'll be purchasing a Founders sub.
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2007, 06:45:55 PM »

Quote from: VynlSol on October 19, 2007, 06:37:11 PM

The beta has changed my mind, and Kaiser's announcement today sealed the deal. I'll be purchasing a Founders sub.

What's this? My browsing's limited today; what was the announcement?

Me, I don't find the Elite sub to be worth the price unless they release enough content over time to justify it. The extra MP features are mostly irrelevant for me. I'd like access to Hardcore mode for characters and a shared inventory and more character slots, but that's not worth additional fee for me. Content would be. But especially for a lifetime sub, I'd need at least three expansions worth of content over the life of the game for $150 to be worthwhile.

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2007, 06:47:51 PM »

Whew!  NDA is gone.  As Farscry had said - the game starts off painfully boring.  I think this is actually done on purpose to help non-fps players and hardcore RPG players meet in the middle where the rest of us loot whores reside.  Sort of a training ground until you really learn what you are doing. 

Let me speak on this:
Performance in hubs (stations) is abysmal with all the players running around. I don't know if it's my pc/client, or if it's netcode. Probably the former. But it really sucks. Out in the rest of the game, performance is stellar and it looks great. Enemies have a fair bit of rubberbanding at times, which also has always been a problem for me on Battlenet with Diablo 2. I don't think this will be an issue in single player.
I've seen a lot of improvement on this in the last patch.  Loading into the hubs usually causes some jitter and chop, but it smoothes out quite a bit after a few seconds.  I've not seen any rubber banding of enemies as of this patch.  If what Kaiser says is true (they are usually 2-4 weeks ahead of what testers see) then this could just be the beginning of some really good optimization patches that fix this sort of thing. 

I think the biggest strength of this game comes from hooking up with friends to kick demon ass together. 

Announcement:
    Beta NDA Lifted
    The NDA period for the general Beta test is officially over! THANK YOU all for being as good as you have been on this. Feel free to post, email, phone call, and alert your local news station about your play experiences!

How Our Beta Process Works
    We wanted to take a few minutes to talk about how we run our Beta tests, the differences of and timing for getting builds out to the testers, and basically let you in on what makes our test tick.

Our development path is quite different from that of the vast majority of game developers. We utilize what we call an organic process, which is basically shorthand for our way of constantly iterating, tweaking, tuning, and making changes that are difficult to set months or years ahead of time in a traditional design document. When we get into the last 6 - 9 months of development time, this process really kicks into high-gear. We are making an immense amount of changes, both large and small, and if we tried to push these out to our Beta testing community, we’d literally be giving you new code up to a dozen times a day. Obviously, this isn’t going to be of any great benefit, so we wait until we have done a lot of internal testing and can batch changes into larger, meaningful updates.

We have a core team of testers on-site dedicated to working with our programmers and designers to give immediate feedback and address bugs in a focused manner. We also have a massive amount of testers at EA that work on builds that have been promoted as release candidates. When we get a patch release candidate that we feel is solid, we then promote that to being a Published candidate, and it undergoes patch testing. When we get something here that we like, we push it to you, the Beta testers.

What this means is that we are, at a MINIMUM, 2 weeks further down the road on the game than the testers see. Commonly, this time gap can be upwards of 4 weeks. We push hot fixes as quickly as possible, but please remember that we have also been working on numerous language builds, the single-player gold master, and of course, the fixes and features for our first day online – what we call Patch 0.

We know that it can be frustrating at times to hear that things are different in our internal builds than what you have, but it is just how timing has to work in order for us to meet all of our deadlines and make sure that the testing time we get with you is as beneficial as possible. Thank you all for the hard work, the hours of testing, and your continued support and excitement for the game.

and...

For those of you playing the Beta version of Hellgate: London, you will be pleasantly surprised to know that the game is going to be receiving MAJOR content updates that will be made available upon the game's release this October 31st, 2007.

The content update list applies to both non-subscribers and subscribers of the game. Subscribers will be receiving many more features in addition to what everyone else gets, too. The list follows:

DX10 Update
The build of Hellgate: London which you are reviewing includes both DX9 and DX10 versions of the graphics library. The DX10 version of this build has a few known issues. They include a slow framerate compared to the same scene in DX9 and black loading screens. We’re currently working on a fix for the black loading screens. The slower framerate is due to the fill-rate intensive special features that only our DX10 engine has, including: soft shadows with proper contact hardening, depth-of-field, motion blur, interactive GPU-simulated fluid smoke, texture-array animated rain, and soft particles. The extra fill rate costs are mitigated by an initial depth-only render pass, which is now being tested and will be ready for release. When Hellgate: London hits retail, we expect the framerate of our DX10 target to be as high, if not higher than DX9, including these special features.

Multiplayer Updates – All Players
We are continuing to push both new multiplayer features and bug fixes to the Beta. Things that may or may not be in during their review time (depending on when they do it), but will be in by launch are:

Buddy Lists
Much better and easier ways to organize your friends!

Guilds
While only subscribers can start one, anyone can join a guild. Special name colors and tags on characters show their affiliation.

Buddy and Guild Chat
Special chat channels so you can keep your conversations clear.

Bigger Levels in Nightmare Mode
These increase the time players get to spend in each area, giving the game a more expansive feel at higher difficulty levels.

PVP
Players can both duel and elect to enter free-for-all PvP Mode. To duel, a player invites the person they wish to duel into a group, and heads into an adventuring area. Duelers, then right-click on the portrait of the person they wish to duel and select the Duel option from the displayed list. Dueling can only take place outside of Underground hubs.

Players can also choose to enter into PvP mode which means they can be attacked and harmed outside of Underground hubs by anyone else that has chosen to enter PvP mode. That is, those in PvP mode, must always be ready for PvP. This is a way to have wide-ranging free-for-alls, or create your own “friendly-fire” way of playing the game.

Tuned Game Progression
Level and monster progression is more thematic in nature. While this does not affect the overarching layout of the world map, it does make each act feel more defined and focused.

Gossip
We’ve added loads of additional details on the people and places in the game through various NPCs in the world. This definitely helps make the stations feel more alive and provides players with more of the back-story.

More Quest Information
Quest NPCs do a better job of getting you prepared to know what you’re fighting and why. The overall story flows much better, the named demons that are encountered are given more story weight, and players gain a much better sense of overall direction.

NPC Tweaks
The vocal responses given by NPCs have been tuned so that they tend more towards the serious and “normal”, reserving the twisted commentary for specific player characters or in rare moments for the general populace.

*Subscriber Features*

Elite Mode
This is for those players that always feel a game is too easy. The demons are tougher, deal out more damage, move faster, travel in larger groups, and have more champions at the ready. Numerous tweaks to the overall balance and progression of the game make this an extremely challenging mode.

Hardcore
Hardcore mode takes away the various resurrection options. For the gamer that wants the ultimate test, try playing an Elite Hardcore character!

Themed Events and Items

Halloween (October 31 – November 4)

*Zombot - A special pet just for All Hallows’, this amalgam of meat and metal is sure to frighten and delight those players that are willing to put in the time to find all the necessary pieces in order to construct him.

*All Hallow’s Visage - A Unique Helm that has not only very special properties, but as well a look unlike any other helm in the game. Ghost Rider would be jealous!

*All Hallow’s Treats - Delicious and devious, these different candies do everything from temporarily boosting stats to temporarily altering the appearance of the devourer.

*All Hallows’ Quests - There is a pair of special quests available, including one that is repeatable for continuous fun.

*Nemo ~ Master of Festivities - This special NPC can first be found in Covent Garden Station to greet players and send them on their way with quests specifically crafted for the season.

Guild Creation
Buy purchasing a Guild Herald, a character can form a new guild. Characters can only be part of one guild at a time and should a Guild leader decide to abandon their post, they can pass leadership of the Guild to another subscribing guild member.

Achievements
These are long-term goals for players. The player starts with a few new goals in an Achievement Log. These can be as simple as slaying a certain amount of specific demons to something as difficult as completing quests without the benefit of armor! Players uncover new goals as they start to meet the requirements of that achievement. For example, after 50 zombies have been slain, an “Achievement Unlocked” message displays on the screen. Checking the Achievement Log shows how many zombies must be eradicated to complete the achievement. Rewards for completing achievements can be anything from reputation to tags on the player to special particle effects to items to special skills to – well, anything is possible!

Extra Character Slots
While everyone gets 3 character slots, subscribers can have a maximum of 24 characters.

Larger Stash
Each character’s storage locker is doubled in size with an extra 6x8 section, making the hoarding of all sorts of goodies that much easier. Packrats rejoice!

Awesome....just awesome.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2007, 06:51:39 PM »

Farscry and Ron - Thanks for the thoughts.  Do you mind briefly going into how the different classes actually play?  If someone wanted to "mimic" diablo 2 in playstyle as much as possible, which classes would they choose?  In other words, do any of them play somewhat isometrically, or do they all eventually function better played from an FPS viewpoint?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2007, 07:19:05 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 19, 2007, 06:51:39 PM

Farscry and Ron - Thanks for the thoughts.  Do you mind briefly going into how the different classes actually play?  If someone wanted to "mimic" diablo 2 in playstyle as much as possible, which classes would they choose?  In other words, do any of them play somewhat isometrically, or do they all eventually function better played from an FPS viewpoint?

Well, you can't play the blade wielders from a FPS perspective - they are isometric only. 

Honestly, if you want to make a Necromancer approximation, you'll have to decide between a summoner and an evoker.  The evoker can throw bone spears and can whip direct damage and splash damage like mad, and the summoner can have critters crawling about.  I think the Guardian makes the closest approximation on the hackyslashy classes.  The Engineers with the bots are my personal favorites thus far...

Did you have a particular D2 class you wanted to approximate?

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »

Not really.  I don't think you could approximate my favorite D2 class (The assassin).

It's just that the majority of the screenshots I've seen didn't leave me clear on if I could play the game from an isometric view if I wanted to.  It just goes to show how very little I know about the game, to be honest.  Case in point: I don't even know if you can point and click for movement and combat.

Is the demo link for GT'ers a private thing?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: October 19, 2007, 07:49:41 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on October 19, 2007, 07:42:09 PM

Not really.  I don't think you could approximate my favorite D2 class (The assassin).

It's just that the majority of the screenshots I've seen didn't leave me clear on if I could play the game from an isometric view if I wanted to.  It just goes to show how very little I know about the game, to be honest.  Case in point: I don't even know if you can point and click for movement and combat.

Is the demo link for GT'ers a private thing?

I'd be ok with people you know getting the link.  I just don't want people who'll never visit using it.

As for the iso - I switch between them a lot, depending on the environment.  I suppose it is a little bit of vanity on my part really. 

The movement is handled with WASD with mouselook in both perspectives.  smile

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »

Holy crap. If that's a sign of the kind of regular updates, events, and content in store for subscribers, sign me up for Elite! icon_biggrin

Quote from: Lockdown on October 19, 2007, 06:51:39 PM

Farscry and Ron - Thanks for the thoughts.  Do you mind briefly going into how the different classes actually play?  If someone wanted to "mimic" diablo 2 in playstyle as much as possible, which classes would they choose?  In other words, do any of them play somewhat isometrically, or do they all eventually function better played from an FPS viewpoint?

No real isometric gameplay in the core game of HGL; there are some unique events like the RTS quest and the like, but in the main game you're either FPS view or in a 3rd-person behind-the-character view, sort of like World of Warcraft (the camera remains oriented in the direction your head is facing).

I can't speak specifically to mimicing Diablo 2 yet, as the classes are similar but feel different with the controls. I've played most with the Guardian and the Engineer, and dabbled with the Evoker and Marksman. The Guardian is probably most similar to the paladin from Diablo 2. Heavy on defense, and with auras, but they don't work quite the same as the paladin's. The Guardian's auras are actually driven by how many enemies are within them. For instance, the regen aura increases your HP regen rate by a certain amount per enemy within your aura's range.

So, for the guardian, one of my tactics is to "round up" enough enemies to boost my current aura's power to its max and then slug it out.

With the engineer, it felt very similar to the druid or summoner; you have multiple drones you can summon with different abilities, and you also gain abilities that either grant you drone-related powers/commands or grant your drones additional powers. there are a few direct attack abilities you can gain as well for your own combat effectiveness. I played the engineer in FPS mode, which really did make a difference in the "feel" of combat, surprisingly. In fact, it felt something like a cross between the druid/summoner and amazon in D2.

I'd start with the guardian, despite the class being pretty straightforward hack-n-slash, get a feel for the controls of the game since the guardian's so survivable (I did the same in D2 starting with a paladin originally), then go nuts and try out different classes from there.

Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2007, 09:59:05 PM »

So the rest of the game isn't as bland as the demo?

Hmm...

I suppose it isn't possible to get into beta at this late date to see?

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »

I got a new skill on my engi tonight called Gun Retrofit. It lets me ad guns Ive looted onto one of my bots. Makes a mess to add a rocket launcher to a flying machine Tongue And if it dies then I resummon it and it still has the wep. I can switch them in and out at will.

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2007, 06:05:52 AM »

ok, the fact that the rest of the game isn't as bland as the demo adds points to the 'buy' column, as does that bit about the Engineers....

Because I can,
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »

True, but without having had a chance to see (at least some of) the non-boring content, I'm in the situation of having played a (somewhat) boring part, and being told that the rest is better...

Tough sell.

When's the release date anyways?

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2007, 01:40:41 PM »

Quote from: Atragon on October 20, 2007, 01:01:21 PM

True, but without having had a chance to see (at least some of) the non-boring content, I'm in the situation of having played a (somewhat) boring part, and being told that the rest is better...

Tough sell.

When's the release date anyways?

Halloween.

Ron Burke
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2007, 01:55:26 PM »

So I guess the Beta is mostly over and buying a pre-order at EB wouldn't get me in anymore?

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »

Quote from: Atragon on October 20, 2007, 01:55:26 PM

So I guess the Beta is mostly over and buying a pre-order at EB wouldn't get me in anymore?

I couldn't tell you when it comes to it's conclusion, but the demo convinced me to pre-order from EB yesterday and I was instantly invited to the beta. Two hours and four gigs later, I started playing....

I think I'm gonna grab a cup of strong java and jump back in.
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2007, 02:41:49 PM »

Quote from: Booner on October 20, 2007, 02:30:30 PM

Quote from: Atragon on October 20, 2007, 01:55:26 PM

I couldn't tell you when it comes to it's conclusion, but the demo convinced me to pre-order from EB yesterday and I was instantly invited to the beta. Two hours and four gigs later, I started playing....

I think I'm gonna grab a cup of strong java and jump back in.

Hmm, guess I just might need to make a trip to EB...

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2007, 10:06:16 PM »

I thought I'd prefer the guns, but after a very fun playthrough as Blademaster just now (especially with zombie heads and limbs flying), I think maybe I won't go for guns afterall. smile It's a little harder on my Titan Quest-ruined right wrist though. It just killed me I couldn't wield the "Swirling Scatterscythe" that I found near demo's end (requires Level 9  drool).

And I can't pass up a game where I have a chance to develop a skill that turns me into a "spinning whirlwind of damnation."  ninja2 Maybe some day I'll be playing co-op and people will say "Hey look! There's Blackjack, the "spinning whirlwind of damnation."  icon_smile

I exited City of Heroes recently after 3 1/2 years (my broadsword scrapper "Silverknight" was my only level 50 character), and this could be a good replacement for me, depending on how the full game environs turn out. Here's hoping.  thumbsup

« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:07:51 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Halfway (sci-fi, turn-based squad strategy)
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 21, 2007, 04:22:48 AM »

Tried the demo for a bit and I was very underwhelmed.  I saw some gameplay videos that looked boring and repetetive and the demo felt like just that.  The Wert/Wart joke was fun but the gameplay and look of the game just didn't seem to be what I expected from a team of ex-Blizzard folks.  I'll be passing on this one for sure.
pingwrx

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2007, 05:00:50 AM »

I tried the demo and the gameplay was ok but seems like it would get old pretty quick.  The enviroments seemed kinda dull and mostly the same.

XBL gamertag: pingwrx
PS3-PS4 pingwrx
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2007, 05:11:47 AM »

Why was THAT a 1.4 gig download?

I understand that this is the type of game that doesn't lend itself well to demos.  But I came away very unimpressed.  This was the one PC game I was looking forward to this fall.  I'm going to wait for some opinions on the full version before I pull the trigger.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2007, 05:12:21 AM »

Quote from: Blackjack on October 20, 2007, 10:06:16 PM

I thought I'd prefer the guns, but after a very fun playthrough as Blademaster just now (especially with zombie heads and limbs flying), I think maybe I won't go for guns afterall. smile It's a little harder on my Titan Quest-ruined right wrist though. It just killed me I couldn't wield the "Swirling Scatterscythe" that I found near demo's end (requires Level 9  drool).

I just tried the Blademaster and found it to be alot of fun too.  I liked being able to dual wield a gun and a sword- it made me feel all piratey!

Because I can,
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 21, 2007, 07:07:28 AM »

Quote from: denoginizer on October 21, 2007, 05:11:47 AM

Why was THAT a 1.4 gig download?

1 gig of ads
Atragon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2007, 01:11:57 PM »

Game engine too.

That's the problem with short demos, the game engine takes up a lot of space now. Heck, look at HL2, any single game (HL2, CS:S, DoD:S, TF2, etc) takes around 3 gig, but once you get the first one installed (which gets you the engine and core files), the rest take well under a gig each.

Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2007, 01:18:58 PM »

3-D game engines are space hogs. smile The size was probably just because, well, every demo is 1+ gigs nowadays. Doesn't even give me a second thought anymore.

Well, sure, if the full game is nothing but brown, square storage rooms and the ruins of London, I probably won't sign up either (then I'll have flashbacks of F.E.A.R., which had unending warehouse rooms that never seemed to vary). I'm having some blind faith there's more to it than that. I enjoyed the combat, I'm certainly not lauding the demo environs.

fwiw, the Diablo demo was 2 brown, dark, dingy, repetitive (albeit randomizing) dungeons under Tristam. Diablo II's demo and beta were the underwhelming caves and and featureless grassy plains of Act I (and I remember being aghast that it was still basically a 640X480 game that actually seemed to look worse than Diablo I). So I really don't think the former Blizzard North has a reputation for demos that visually blow you away.  saywhat Maybe it *should* blow you away, maybe it's more important now that Flagship's whole future relies on this game.

I would've liked for it to at least be a little longer, or let you do some tinkering with weapons upgrades, so we would get more appreciation for that.

Oh, hey does anyone know what the "Shield Overload" stat means? Or "Shield Penetration" for that matter. Here's a screenshot:

I'm sure I could search around the official forums, but I figured I'd ask here for the sake of conversation. smile
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 01:47:45 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: October 21, 2007, 01:55:39 PM »

Well, to be nit-picky, it's not the "game engine" which takes so much space (that's generally a few megs for the binaries, libraries and such), it's the resources that take up 1Gig+.  Textures/materials, sounds, level data, videos, etc; that's what takes up so much of your precious space. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 21, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »

You can never be too young, too thin or have have too much hard drive space.  icon_biggrin The recently available 1 Terabyte  drives don't seem so crazy anymore.

I was examining my System Shock box the other day (which has 9 floppy disks), and I wanted to weep.  crybaby

Does anyone know how much space the full game will take? (Hellgate, not System Shock...)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 02:27:43 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: