http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 10:06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero Questions: With New Questions!  (Read 635 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2006, 02:53:37 PM »

So out of the gate for my PS2- as my first PS2 game- I purchase Guitar Hero.  One of the most fun games ever.  Really and truly.  

Questions though from the rythm impaired:

1.  What is the best way to hold the guitar so that you can hit all five frets?  I've just moved up to medium (4 frets) and am already having a bear getting my pinky to do what it needs to.  What about with 5?  Do you hold it so that your index does the red and the green and your fingers match up 1 to 1 with the others?

2. When's the best time to use star power (assuming you're not in trouble)? On long notes or on lots of single notes?

3.  Does the whammy bar get you more points on non- star power long notes?  Or at all?  I'll stop going to it so often if it doesn't.

4. Have sequel's been announced? Red Octane is sitting on a cash cow with this.  Imagine an alternative, Christian, Punk, acoustic or whatever else version of the game.  Now imagine they put out limited edition guitars.    Or came out with Drum hero.  

5. Has this game been selling well enough to merit a sequel?

Thanks.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:14:51 PM »

I'll answer what I can:

1). I usually just move my fingers over one to hit the orange fret button. My pinky isn't agile enough to hit both the blue and the orange without moving my whole hand.

2). I think you get more points for single notes, but I'm not completely sure. You definitely get more points for chords, though. And if you're doing well, I'd use the star power when you have a 4x multiplier (so that you get an 8x multiplier during the star power).

3). I don't know. Sorry. It does get you more star power on the star notes, though.

4). None that I know of. I hope so, though.

5). The game has been a great success. For awhile (still?) it was extremely hard to find in stores because it was sold out everywhere. It was so popular that most stores raised it's price from $60 to $70.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 05:12:08 PM »

Ralph hit most of the points, but I'll add a couple:

1.  Hitting the 'higher' notes is simply a matter of practice.  It will feel extremely awkward the first few times you have to use the orange key, but it will become second nature after a while.  Remember that the raised notch on the yellow key is your friend.  Get used to feeling for it so you know exactly where your fingers are placed.  When you start getting into some of the more insane passages, you will need to make sure you are on the right keys, and that little bump is a lifesaver.

2.  Definately lots of notes as opposed to long ones.  Chord passages are even better, and you can really rack up the points.  8X star power on expert level 'Unsung' about made my score meter explode.  smile

3.  From what I can tell, the whammy bar does not give you more points on non-star power notes.  It does boost your star power meter if you use it on starred notes (which annoys me to no end.  I hate using the whammy in places I normally wouldn't just to get more star power.), but I don't think it has any effect on the score of regular notes.

4.  There has been a ton of talk about a sequel, but nothing has officially been announced yet.  There was an artice in GI (possibly EGM) a couple months back that the developer was talking about the list of bands they're looking at for the sequel.

Drum Hero would be awesome, but I don't think there's any way they could create a peripheral that would be cost effective.  Guess I'll just stick to my real drum set and some headphones.  smile

5.  I certainly hope so.  The guys at my Gamestop said they've had a hell of a time keeping it in stock, and everything I've read talks about what a huge success it has been.  I can't imagine that it would be terribly expensive to develop (at least in comparison to other games), so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Have fun with it, and keep us updated on your progress.  You'll be amazed at how easy some of the difficult songs seem once you've put in a few more hours.  The learning curve is just about perfect on this game.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 06:48:11 PM »

From DQ

http://eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63136

Official announcement of GH2...smile  YES!  now if I can only get through the first one on hard..smile
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 02:52:29 PM »

1. What is the deciding factor on the star rating for your performance: Is it the score or the note %age? I think it's the latter, but am not sure

2. This question may be redundant: but what do you focus on the most. Score or note %age?
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 03:20:46 PM »

i focus on Stars.  I think the deciding factor on your rating is notes.  I am not sure, but I think the more notes you hit, the better your rating.  I think this since, score is based on your multiplier, your use of the power up, and whammy bar on long notes.  Which is reallly irrelevant to the number of notes you hit overall.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 03:24:12 PM »

Hmmm.... I always thought that rating was due solely to your score. Of course, the more notes you hit the more likely you are to have a higher score (due to multipliers). But I believe it's possible to get a higher rating when hitting less notes if you use your star power correctly. On the other hand, has anyone ever gotten below 3 stars?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: