http://gamingtrend.com
October 02, 2014, 08:36:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Hero Impressions!!!  (Read 15273 times)
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2005, 02:05:25 PM »

Quote from: "Loomi"
Just played a little at lunch.

Fuck Crossroads.

I only went through on Easy level last night, and I'll second this.  Damn, that song is brutal.

The song selection is just awesome though.  There's a few in there that I'm not crazy about, but most of the songs are great.  Mrs. Gratch laughed at my reaction when I saw 'Symphony of Destruction' on the set list.  I said, "I've always wanted to be able to play that!".  Like button pressing on a controller is going to help with that somehow...

It's odd how some of the songs I expected to like I didn't (Hendrix, White Zombie), and sone of the songs I expected to hate I loved (Queens of the Stone Age, Deep Purple).  We'll see if that changes at the higher levels.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2005, 07:36:14 AM »

Decided to take a little break from those last songs on medium (man, having all sorts of trouble on that Queens of the Stone age song as well as, of course, the last few), and HOLY COW, the songs you purchase in the unlock shop are GREAT SONGS!!!  

I was a fan of the Freezepop Harmonix used in Frequency & Amplitude and was ready for a song like that and a guitar to suck.  NO WAY, great song!!!  Add in "Even Rats" and "Sail Your Ship By" and I'm a BIG fan of the unlockables!!  I've only unlocked 1/4th of the songs available and I can't wait to unlock the rest (I've got the $$$ but man, I gotta 5-star a song to move on, I don't know wtf's wrong with me).

Give me an expansion of just the "indie" songs where they don't have to pay so much money and I would purchase it in a heartbeat.

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2005, 08:22:17 AM »

Okay, I can 4-star everything except for that damned Queens of the Stone Age song and it doesn't help that I freakin' hate that song.  Hate.  It.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2005, 02:10:29 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Okay, I can 4-star everything except for that damned Queens of the Stone Age song and it doesn't help that I freakin' hate that song.  Hate.  It.

I hate that song too, but I think it's one of the funnest to play.

I'm through the first 4 sets on hard, but I rarely get over a 3-star rating now.  The differences between GH and a real guitar start to become very obvious on the harder levels.  On a real guitar, you don't have to 'strum' every single note like you do in GH.  Especially in some of the solo passages, actually being able to strum fast enough is more of a challenge than the actual finger placement.  Not that it makes it any less fun, but it certainly is different.

And I broke the 200,000 mark for the first time last night.  I rock!  smile

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2005, 02:21:44 PM »

That one Idie song by Artillery is brutal, the fastest song on the game.
I can't wait for an expansion and hopefully they will deliver one soon.

I bought the X360 but none of the games have me really wanting to go back and play like GH.  GOTY for me.

Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:34 PM »

can you give us a run down of the songs? There was a small list on IGN, I would love to know what songs are on there.

http://www.guitarherogame.com/music.asp

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2005, 07:26:35 PM »

This game sounds awesome!

Question: I'm a Lefty. Strum with my left hand, fret with my right. Will this cause problems playing the game?

Edit: I see the whammy bar, etc. on the controller; could be a problem. Any other leftys try this one out?

Golden with barlight and beer
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2005, 07:35:56 PM »

there is a option in the menu to flip the guitar for lefties.
rabies66
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2005, 08:02:54 PM »

Sweet!

Thanks for the info.

Golden with barlight and beer
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 29, 2005, 11:01:06 PM »

My girlfriend is a lefty too.  The flip in the game works well, since the note bar flips as well.  The problems are with the physical guitar.  There's no way to move the strap peg, so if you want to play standing, it's tricky to get the strap in a position where it'll hold the guitar, and it's going to be higher than it should be.  Also, the whammy bar is now above the bridge instead of below it, making things more akward.

Seems like most of the EB stores should have demo units available, and some Best Buys seem to as well.  See if you can try one of those out before you buy it.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2005, 11:14:24 PM »

In multiplayer mode, can you have one person set at an easier difficulty than the other?
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2005, 03:51:17 AM »

No, and that's one of my major gripes with multiplayer.  I'm playing at expert level, but most of my friends are on normal or easy.  Makes things boring for me, or frustrating for them.  The other option is that they play a few songs, then I show off for a few songs.

Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2005, 04:00:32 AM »

Quote from: "rabies66"
This game sounds awesome!

Question: I'm a Lefty. Strum with my left hand, fret with my right. Will this cause problems playing the game?

Edit: I see the whammy bar, etc. on the controller; could be a problem. Any other leftys try this one out?

I'm a lefty...but I play right handed.  It puts my left hand (my detail work hand) right where it needs to be, on the fret keys.  Knowing this, I don't know how right handed people can play this game . smile

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Bulletpig

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 30, 2005, 05:08:26 AM »

After reading Bill's comments on this from his Blog and then coming here and reading all the posts I just had to have this.

I had the Virtual Guitar back in the early 90's.  It was okay except the sound was really lacking and it was just strumming to the song and no fret work required.

The wife picked it up for me tonight and I have been having a blast.  Nothing like a 31 year old jamming out like a kid again.  I haven't had this much fun with a PS2 game in awhile.

Right now I am still on the easy and getting ready to move up the Medium.  Thanks everyone for the info this thing is a blast.

Regards,
Pig
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2005, 02:18:15 PM »

I finally beat Crossroads on Expert took me about 3 days, I had to play about 4 songs just to get warmed up enough to play it.

The last 5 songs on expert are really going to take me a while, I last about 5 seconds on BATM.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2005, 03:13:26 AM »

OK, it's not up to some of your standards, but...

I FINALLY GOT ALL THE WAY THROUGH ON 'HARD'!

I suppose that means I somewhat rock, of which I am very proud.  slywink

It probably would have helped if I had gone through the tutorial before I really started.  I just now found out you could do hammer-downs and pull-offs, and that tilting the guitar upright sets off the Star Power meter.  I was always screwing up my multiplier by trying to get down to the select button in the middle of a solo, and I was trying to figure out how the hell I was supposed to strum every note in some of those solos.  Of course, now I've developed bad GH habits that I'll need to break. Oh well, back to practice...

Temjin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2005, 04:29:04 AM »

I finally beat all the songs on hard.  Now I'm going through Expert mode and even managed to get 4 stars on Symphony of Destruction.  I was worried about replay value when I bought this game, but it really seems to hold my interest.  

I also need to find a cd with "Caveman Rejoice!" on it.

Now Playing
Wii:  Zelda: TP
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2005, 04:57:21 AM »

i am still re doing the medium level songs to get 5 stars, and working on the hard level songs.  I have 13 of 15, I think.

Grats to those on hard.
Loomi
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 05, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »

Quote from: "Temjin"
I was worried about replay value when I bought this game, but it really seems to hold my interest.

It's funny you mention this... I wondered about the replay value at first too, but then I realized I've been playing the same songs over and over on a real guitar for the past 17 years.  smile

XBL Gamertag: Loomi 360
lildrgn

It's not the years, it's the mileage.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: December 05, 2005, 11:36:40 PM »

Quote from: "Loomi"
Quote from: "Temjin"
I was worried about replay value when I bought this game, but it really seems to hold my interest.

It's funny you mention this... I wondered about the replay value at first too, but then I realized I've been playing the same songs over and over on a real guitar for the past 17 years.  smile

Tongue  Tongue  :lol:

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2005, 02:52:39 AM »

I'm thinking about putting this on my Christmas list, but I have a question first.  The game was developed by the same people who did Frequency and Amplitude.  I liked the part of those games where you matched up notes, but I never really understood the whole "freestyle" thing where you're supposed to play notes without being told which ones.  Does GH have something similar, or are you always following the "notes" on screen?

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 06, 2005, 04:46:24 AM »

You're always following the notes on-screen.  This may have been done on a previous page, but here's how it is set up.  The game is broken down into difficulty levels:  Easy, Medium, Hard, and Expert.  Each difficulty level is broken down into 'sets' (4-5 songs), and you have to get through each song in the set before moving on to the next.  The songs get progressively harder with each subsequent set, and with each jump in difficulty.  Basically, the Easy level is the equivalent of playing a bass and the one on-screen note you play represents around 5-7 actual notes.  You are also only using 3 of the buttons.  On Medium, the one on-screen note you play may now only represent 3-4 notes, so you're having to play more notes.  Medium also introduces chords, which are 2 notes played simultaneously.  It also adds the fourth button.  Hard & Expert increase the amount of notes played and the speed at which you have to play them, as well as adding the 5th button.  By the time you get to the last set on Expert, you better have some damn fast fingers, as anyone who has tried 'Bark at the Moon' can attest to.

I found that the learning curve is just about perfect.  By the time you're able to get throuh all the songs in Easy level, you're ready for Medium, etc.  My one gripe with the game would be that there is no way to actually 'practice' the songs.  As any musician knows, you learn to play by starting slowly to develop the pattern/rhythm/etc., then build speed as skill increases.  I would love to see them implement a practice mode in which you could slow down the songs to practice the quick changes.  Some of the top-level Expert songs degenerate into a blur, so it's practically impossible to figure out the pattern.  Damn 'Cowboys from Hell'.   :evil:

SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2005, 04:11:28 AM »

Does anyone know if there are any plans for this to come to XBox or am I going to have to shell out for a PS2?

GT/OO Weight Loss Tracker: http://www.jxprime.net/WeightTracker
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2005, 12:59:19 PM »

I seriously doubt it'll ever come out for the Xbox.  Harmonix has always worked exclusively on the PS2, short of the Karaoke Revolution games.  Then again, if this thing is as big as KR, they might do an Xbox version later, but I doubt it.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2005, 07:18:42 PM »

Thanks a ton you jerks! I went out and got the game at EB over lunch....

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2005, 07:47:06 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Don't worry Hetz, you'll be thanking us by tonight.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2005, 07:49:55 PM »

Two weeks ago I had some friends over for an Xbox 360 game night.

It was 3 guys and one's wife, she probably thought she was going to have a boring time because she brought over some college homework.
Well I got them to play Guitar Hero first and the wife ended up playing for about an hour.   She was better than her husband which was pretty funny.

Well now the husband ordered Guitar Hero and it got here yesterday and he spent about  8 hours playing.  The wife had to do homework and was pretty upset she didn't get to play much.  He has ordered a second guitar(RED) but it won't ship until the 12th.

This game is definately GOTY.  It is the funnest time I have had with a video game in ages.  Once you move up to the harder difficulty levels you really feel like you are playing the songs.  

I have played GH more than I have my 360.  What an unbelievable game.

:x Waiting , Watching :shock:  for the sequel.

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2005, 08:03:30 PM »

It's worth every penny of it's price tag.

...and you'll find out how much fun pain can be.  biggrin

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »

My parents have always been very anti-video game.  They would never let us have a Nintendo or Super-Nintendo when I was growing up, and they consider games a complete and total waste of time.  Remarkably, they came over last weekend and I had them playing Guitar Hero for nearly 2 hours.  Dad loved playing 'Thunderkiss '65', and Mom played through 'Smoke on the Water' at least 5 times trying to get the 4-star rating.  As they were leaving, my mom said, "You know, maybe all games aren't as bad as we thought."

If a game is good enough that even my grumpy, jaded parents enjoy it, you know it must be good.  smile

SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2005, 06:52:24 AM »

Pfft, I went out and bought the game AND a PS2. :p

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2005, 07:05:26 AM »

Quote from: "SpicyJ"

Pfft, I went out and bought the game AND a PS2. :p

Well done, you two, well done.

Still working on medium.  All songs complete, but I want 5-stars on all.

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2005, 03:32:03 PM »

Thats what I have been doing.  I got through 10 songs on Hard, but I cant get anything better than 3 stars on them, and it doesnt feel right.  I just feel like I am mashing buttons, and from doing well on some songs on medium, I know thats not how its stupposed to feel.
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2005, 07:19:35 PM »

Ok, I have been going through my medium career songs and redoing them all to try and get 5 stars.  No Biggie, I am really enjoying it.  I am on the 2nd to last set though with Crossroads, and Ace of Spades.  Again, not my issue, i seem to be having a MUCH easier time hitting the notes these extra times around, and my frustration level with them is WAY less.  

BUT.

There are a lot of power chord switches in songs like Crossroads, and just when I think I have them down, I seem to miss chords.   I can see that they are lit up on the bottom.  Say its Green and Yellow.  For some reason the Yellow will count, and the green will not.  Does this have to do with me not switching properly.  Like when you move up or down and are llowed to hold a button?  Or maybe is my button wonky?
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2005, 03:08:42 AM »

Big week for Guitar Hero fans.

You can finally get your second guitar this Tuesday.  I can't wait.

I had my nephew and his friend over and they loved that game so I am excited I will finally be able to multiplay.  I had actually thought of buying 2 copies of the game but didn't have that much extra to spend.

Whose with me=========== biggrin

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2005, 03:40:59 AM »

It's very, very tempting...

TheMissingLink on PSN
GGMark

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2005, 04:41:32 PM »

i SOOOOO want another guitar, but I rarely have anyone who is interested in playing the game..frown  I wish the GF would pick this up, like she did WoW.
SpicyJ
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2005, 04:45:43 PM »

This game needs a warning: May be dangerous to pinkies.  My left hand can only take about an hour of playing before starting to seize up, and I haven't even gotten to BatM on Hard yet. smile

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2005, 08:13:30 PM »

Are you guys using a pick.  I can' t imagine not using one on the fast songs doesn't your thumb get tired.

Everyone who comes to my house and plays GH leaves saying they are picking this up.  I also read an article claiming this game is flying off the shelves and is hard to keep in stock.

Keep rocking.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2005, 08:18:12 PM »

Quote from: "shon"
Are you guys using a pick.  I can' t imagine not using one on the fast songs doesn't your thumb get tired.

Everyone who comes to my house and plays GH leaves saying they are picking this up.  I also read an article claiming this game is flying off the shelves and is hard to keep in stock.

Keep rocking.

Hadn't thought of using a pick.  I'll have to try that.

Good to hear it's selling so well.  Bodes well for a sequel!  smile

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2005, 10:47:17 PM »

If/when there is a sequel, I really hope there will be at least one Van Halen song. How can a game called Guitar Hero NOT have a VH song?? Although, the thought of having to play Van Halen at Hard and Extreme levels might be even more sadistically harder than Bark at the Moon!

I too wish there was a practice mode. One thing might help. Someone on the Guitar Hero official messageboard suggested turning down the crowd and band volume. That way you only hear what your guitar is playing, mistakes and all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: